Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Good and Bad from Browns game..

MarquisJ

Good: Rashaan showing some dog in him i love it.. T.Y put his money where his mouth is it didn't impress me because I expect these kind of games from him. Passing defense looked much better.

Brissett has wheels man seriously. Also Desir stepped up today and John Simon motor is unreal 

Bad: Turnovers in crucial times really hurts us as well as flags gotta clean that up.. From the eye test looked like our run defense took a step backwards today but haven't looked at the numbers yet.. seemed like we couldn't cover duke johnson for nothing 

What are your good and bad from today?

1 hour ago, J@son said:

Total lack of creativity in offensive playcalling in the second half. 

Which feeds into the old school approach.  Run the ball with a lead then seal the game with a defensive play.  Unfortunately, the way we won will simply encourage Pagano and Chud to keep doing the same thing.

We never match second half adjustments from the other team.

I hate to be a whiner over a win but I was sick of seeing Gore up the gut for maybe a yard on every first down.  I kept telling my friends that Chud has to be setting up a play action bomb.  

We got lucky.  But that’s part of the game.  

4 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

I thought Rashaan Melvin still got abused. The two picks he got were both on Kizer. Nothing special that he did. He consistently got beat and either gave up catches or had penalties called on him.

Lol. Both picks were gimmes lol. I mean may as well be straight up. He played decent. Like a solid 3rd CB instead of a mediocre 5th CB lol

We did play the Browns. The good. Brisket baby. I told everybody. He's getting better and better. Think if he plays 7-8 games and completely learns the playbook. He's got franchise QB potential and please let us get a top 10 pick at least out of him this offseason !!! Playing this well after being here less than a month, getting better and better. Imagine him with a good OL ??!!  I think 12 will be back week 5 or so btw. But anyways. The Passing D was a little better. Hooker got 2nd int lol. Simon has put it all together and became a stud. Hunt is a better fit in a 34. Really Good pickup. Sheard played really well for the first time with us. Hairston looked good in a lot of areas again. He'll be a piece on our D for a few years IMO. Desir who is still young and has major talent looked good. Really good. He may end up being our David Amerson ?? Am I hoping again lmao. And yeah lol. Obviously I watched the game tonight but he's still a damn good corner. Then to be expected. Obviously TY came to ball. But I'm not worried about the run D. We're fine. But The bad. The coaching staff. And yeah. Has. HAS to go this offseason. Then. The 2nd half which was (99%) because of the coaching staff.  Btw. I knew and stated many times Simon would come in and ball. I seen he was starting to put it together in Houston. 

Bottom line is that we're on our way with signings and draftees like Hankins, Simon, Hunt, Woods, Hooker, Wilson, Hairston, hopefully Basham. Hopefully Sheard. He played well as I said. And may be on his way. But with all the cap room and another draft this coming offseason to go with a healthy Luck. Yeah. It'll be on !!!

Still gotta close better, but remember we're still missing 2 starters on the O line, 2 corners, our starting safety and our franchise QB. Team will get better as the season goes on. Hopefully. I'm in the minority but I didn't have a problem with the second half play calling.

Big test next week VS a brilliant QB and amazing Defense on the road. Show us What ya got Colts.

1. good: converted a lot of 3st downs. made big plays with the passing game. Brisett made things happen with his feet.
  2. bad: the offensive line still looks rough and no consistency. the run defense is still poor.

Those of you looking for more creative play calling you have to remember Brisett is still learning the play book.

we won but it was the Browns and we tried to blow a 17 point lead. The rest of the division looks tough as nails. not a lot of confidence

Good:

Brissett, he really does look like an NFL starter.  Good for us in terms of future cover and trade value.

Bad:

I thought our run game looked poor, even in the first half.  Very little opportunities to break through the line, we really missed not having the option of Mack as we were too predictable otherwise.

Most frustrating thing for me was spending the 2nd half trying not to lose rather than trying to win.  A better team takes advantage of us there.

9 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

I thought Rashaan Melvin still got abused. The two picks he got were both on Kizer. Nothing special that he did. He consistently got beat and either gave up catches or had penalties called on him.

He has to turn his head to see the ball coming but he doesn't do that he has a problem with that

15 hours ago, MarquisJ said:

Good: Rashaan showing some dog in him i love it.. T.Y put his money where his mouth is it didn't impress me because I expect these kind of games from him. Passing defense looked much better.

Brissett has wheels man seriously. Also Desir stepped up today and John Simon motor is unreal 

Bad: Turnovers in crucial times really hurts us as well as flags gotta clean that up.. From the eye test looked like our run defense took a step backwards today but haven't looked at the numbers yet.. seemed like we couldn't cover duke johnson for nothing 

What are your good and bad from today?

Take out 44 yards from Kizer and the run defense looked great we lost contain on him a couple of times and it cost us a bit what was terrible was the browns first touchdown we had Duke Johnson dead to rights couldn't tackle him and he bounced off a couple more of our players for a touchdown terrible tackleing is still a big issue.

9 hours ago, COLTS449 said:
14 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

Lol. Both picks were gimmes lol. I mean may as well be straight up. He played decent. Like a solid 3rd CB instead of a mediocre 5th CB lol

Many INT's are subject to terrible throws or gimmes from the QB, so just saying he did not do much is a cop out.  He was still aware of the situation and was able to catch the ball.  Again, Melvin is not our top guy and was not a top draft pick, he was an UDFA that has become our #1 while VD is out.  He has played pretty damn well and should still be on the field when VD gets back in my opinion.  You get a solid year under Wilson and let Desir develop with us and we have some depth finally.

A win is good but like someone else posted it helps Pagano's W-L record. Brissett's mobility is among the best and if he had a descent OL (sound familiar?) he could be a ripper-strong, accurate arm. Their pass defense is scary and they face Seattle next. Wilson may rack up a bindle of yards.

14 hours ago, Smonroe said:

We got lucky.  But that’s part of the game.  

Come on Cleveland had the ball for 25 seconds inside their 10 yard line with a chance to win/tie. They ran 2 plays. We didn't get lucky we were up 2 scores for 29 minutes and 35 seconds of the 2nd half

Good WE WON THE GAME

Brissett played a solid game I like this kid. The Ghost finally appeared. We scored 31 points and won the turnover battle. Simon continues to shine Melvin 2 picks Desir looks like he can help. Hooker another INT. 

Bad PENALTIES we had 11 That's way to many and we are going in the wrong direction 4 vs LAR 8 vs Cards. Butler come on man Doyle had a bad day Who ever decided George only needed to be on the field for 7 snaps. Mewhort costly penalty. We had trouble blocking up the middle Pass D tighten up the rush a step slow 

Looking forward Davis could be back hopefully that tightens up the pass D. Kelly has to be close and Luck may be back at practice. Brissett keeps playing like he has might there be a QB controversy? He has 1 turnover in 2 games. Should Butler's snaps go to a developing player? Please get George back in the mix on D. Why do we make such poor personnel decisions? He gave us our best game by an ILB last week so he rides the bench this week. 

6 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Many INT's are subject to terrible throws or gimmes from the QB, so just saying he did not do much is a cop out.  He was still aware of the situation and was able to catch the ball.  Again, Melvin is not our top guy and was not a top draft pick, he was an UDFA that has become our #1 while VD is out.  He has played pretty damn well and should still be on the field when VD gets back in my opinion.  You get a solid year under Wilson and let Desir develop with us and we have some depth finally.

I have actually been one to defend Melvin when others on this forum have said that he shouldn't even be the 4th corner on this team. All I'm saying is that in this game he got way too much praise for easy interceptions. He was only in a position to get those picks because they continuously tested him because of all the success they had against him.

He played much better last week against the Cardinals... although I will say to have two picks in a bad game is better than the alternative.

Just now, Bluefire4 said:

I have actually been one to defend Melvin when others on this forum have said that he shouldn't even be the 4th corner on this team. All I'm saying is that in this game he got way too much praise for easy interceptions. He was only in a position to get those picks because they continuously tested him because of all the success they had against him.

He played much better last week against the Cardinals... although I will say to have two picks in a bad game is better than the alternative.

I think Melvin has surprised many including myself.  Coming into the season I was not high on him at all.  My comments about him now are purely that he has played well regardless of what anyone says.  Above all expectations IMO.  One pick was him getting to the ball, and t he other was him merely getting a tip drill pick.  Both are not exactly easy and if you say they are show me your pro tape and lets compare.  Again, a pick is a pick on the stat sheet.  At the end of the year many players with 5 or 6 picks had probably at least 2 or 3 gifted to them.  Random numbers obviously!

2 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I think Melvin has surprised many including myself.  Coming into the season I was not high on him at all.  My comments about him now are purely that he has played well regardless of what anyone says.  Above all expectations IMO.  One pick was him getting to the ball, and t he other was him merely getting a tip drill pick.  Both are not exactly easy and if you say they are show me your pro tape and lets compare.  Again, a pick is a pick on the stat sheet.  At the end of the year many players with 5 or 6 picks had probably at least 2 or 3 gifted to them.  Random numbers obviously!

Melvin is showing up and has been reliable with the injuries we had this year. We can agree on that. I'm one of the few who was actually wanted him to start over Wilson because we didn't know what Wilson could bring, but I know that Melvin had one of the best cornerback performances last year against the Packers. He didn't have any interceptions or glamour stats, but when a pass came his way he kept his eye on the ball and defended it.

That's the difference I'm trying to make. Kudos to him for being in good position for the picks but when he gets to the point where he is telegraphing plays and reading the quarterback's eyes, he'll be a difference maker in every game.

He's only 27 and has room for improvement. I respect him for coming in without a training camp last year and being a starter ever since.