Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Do We Do With Patrick Robinson?

Dark Superman

So we brought Patrick Robinson here last year to play opposite of Davis and well let's say he didn't perform very well.

Do you think we should cut Robinson? If we do, how much cap do we save? Or are we in a better position to keep him? I love Butler as our slot guy, but he seemed pretty intent on wanting to play safety (and I doubt the Colts would pay him to play a different position)

If Butler walks and we end up keeping Robinson, should be grab another corner to play outside and move Patrick to the slot?

If I had my wish I would cut Robinson, sign Butler to be our nickel corner and go out and get someone who can play beside Davis. Tevin Melvin showed some potential, but I like him as our 4th corner right now.

I know we didn't have a pass rush last season, but if we can find that, do we give Robinson another shot? or move on.

Just curious.

Never got the excitement about a player in the record books for historic bad games . I think way to many here loved looking at a few selective PFF stats but disregarded the tape on him .

Should be cut but not sure about his contract structure he is only a average slot guy at his best could be easily replaced with more durable player .  

3 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Robinson was starting to play well the last three games before his injury.  If he is fully recovered (or will fully recover) it would make no sense to cut him.

He is NOT an outside CB  so if they want to keep him it will have to be inside in nickle coverage.     That was a bad bad signing by Grigson/Pagano

20 minutes ago, Rick_Grimes said:

So we brought Patrick Robinson here last year to play opposite of Davis and well let's say he didn't perform very well.

Do you think we should cut Robinson? If we do, how much cap do we save? Or are we in a better position to keep him? I love Butler as our slot guy, but he seemed pretty intent on wanting to play safety (and I doubt the Colts would pay him to play a different position)

If Butler walks and we end up keeping Robinson, should be grab another corner to play outside and move Patrick to the slot?

If I had my wish I would cut Robinson, sign Butler to be our nickel corner and go out and get someone who can play beside Davis. Tevin Melvin showed some potential, but I like him as our 4th corner right now.

I know we didn't have a pass rush last season, but if we can find that, do we give Robinson another shot? or move on.

Just curious.

About 2 million this year. And his dead cap hit would be 2.5 million. My guess is we carry him and cut him next year unless we get into a situation where we have upgraded that position and need the cap room, I don't see us cutting him

20 minutes ago, Rick_Grimes said:

Just curious.

He's slated to make $4.5mil, cutting him would be $2.5mil in dead cap. So they'd actually save $2mil by cutting him, but doesn't really make sense to do so. CB isn't exactly a deep position group for the Colts, especially if they re-sign Butler and move him to safety.

28 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

He is NOT an outside CB  so if they want to keep him it will have to be inside in nickle coverage.     That was a bad bad signing by Grigson/Pagano

And yet before his injury he was showed he was understanding his role in the defense and playing some good football AS an outside CB.

18 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He's slated to make $4.5mil, cutting him would be $2.5mil in dead cap. So they'd actually save $2mil by cutting him, but doesn't really make sense to do so. CB isn't exactly a deep position group for the Colts, especially if they re-sign Butler and move him to safety.

Yes they resign Butler and move him to safety.  Robinson to the slot and Boyue to the other corner.  Perfect!

3 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Whatever you say.

Not sure what you are seeing but I was at about every home game and I watch the DB's almost exclusively while on D   

He did better than I expected but in reality he is no better than Butler/Toler was.  And none are acceptable if this D is going to get better.   Put him in the slot where he IS GOOD and I'll be happy with that.

2 hours ago, Rick_Grimes said:

Just curious.

if you are into due diligence, of which it would seem you are not,  please check at http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/contracts/ for all questions related to contract questions.

3 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

And yet before his injury he was showed he was understanding his role in the defense and playing some good football AS an outside CB.

What were you watching he was burned early and often

With the amount of depth the Colts have at corner, it makes little sense to cut Robinson if he is healthy. There is already tape on him. Either slot or edge, I'm unaware of anyone we have that is much better right now. We'll just have to wait and see how it pans out.

4 hours ago, Jules said:

Find a parking lot somewhere several states away and tell him to get out, then drive off really really fast.

He isn't very good and never will be.

Your especially salty today. Lol First Allen now Robinson...rough day?

7 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yeah he's serviceable, not the answer but serviceable when healthy.  If they draft a CB it could provide for some healthy competition.  

12 hours ago, B~Town said:

What were you watching he was burned early and often

Umm, I was watching the games.  Early in the season he was playing very poorly no doubt but against KC and GB he played well and even in the Steelers game he was spot on in his coverage.

I know people always think that a FA is going to come in and hit the ground running but that is rarely the case and I also know that for a lot of fans (especially the members of this forum) it takes a year or more of good games to overcome the perceptions of one bad game, let alone a few bad games that Robinson had.  But he had turned the corner was showing he was getting a good grasp of the difference between playing in the slot vs the outside and was starting to play some good ball when he got injured.

9 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

Yeah he's serviceable, not the answer but serviceable when healthy.  If they draft a CB it could provide for some healthy competition.  

I agree, I don't know if he's a long time answer for CB but I saw enough improvement from him to think it's too early to just cut him.  And in today's passing NFL a team needs three starting corners and a fourth that is on the verge of being a starting corner.

16 hours ago, Rick_Grimes said:

Just curious.

I doubt him wanting to play Safety has any impact on the contract. But i think we should keep Butler and let Robinson go. Butler adds more value to the defense IMO. Im uncertain as to the cap and how much if any we would save if we did cut Robinson. 

His biggest issue besides health is that he's a primarily nickel corner being forced to play outside. If we can find a competent number 2 in either FA or the draft (maybe even Rashaan Melvin? He did okay last year) and move Robinson back inside, then I think we'd be better off.

21 hours ago, Rick_Grimes said:

Colts signed Toler who is suited as a slot corner and made him play on the outside and he constantly got burned. Same thing is happening with Robinson. He's a slot guy. Colts need another outside corner.

I agree. I'd re-sign Butler as our FS, move Robinson to nickel and either use Melvin, sign another #2 guy who can play man outside and/or draft 1st or 2nd round CB to start outside who plays man.  I actually liked what Melvin gave us last year, at times, he looked pretty solid for us. Maybe it's because we've forgotten how a decent #2 guy looks idk lol. 

On 3/8/2017 at 4:04 PM, Rick_Grimes said:

Just curious.

No, we don't:)