Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

richard pallo

"Dream Target" for the draft.

Recommended Posts

NFL analyst Brent Sobleski just posted an article listing every teams "Dream Target" in the draft.  For the Colts he came up with Dalvin Cook.  Mentioning Andrew needs Cook like Peyton had James.  Interesting other choices if Cook wasn't there.  2nd. OT Cam Robinson, 3rd. DE Derek Barnett, 4th. CB  Sidney Jones.  I thought it was interesting he chose Robinson since every one is so focussed on defense.  We do know how Ballard views the trenches though.  It's amazing how many times Cooks name keeps coming up in the mocks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is crazy how so  many analysts get fixated on specific players because of the perceived need.  We do need a RB but this does not mean we target this right away.  Last year I remember seeing multiple mocks with us drafting Leonard Floyd.  He went before our pick so we did not get him.  Last years draft IMO went very different than many expected.  Typically they do and even though I would be fine with drafting Cook I just do not see it happening.  Plus I feel like he will be gone before our pick.  I am hopefully for Foster to drop a little to some offensive players being over drafted. 

 

Also, I think Sidney Jones could be solid but 14/15 is a little early.  Barnett to me is a 4-3 DE and Cam Robinson might be solid but I would take Ryan Ramczyk before him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen countless mocks that have our first pick going towards Dalvin Cook. He may not even be there at our pick anyways. Cook is a pure luxury pick in my opinion. We need to focus heavy on defense by getting some young talent in quick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to have Cook. He fills a big need and can be a playmaker. However, I don't think he falls to us. I have a hunch he doesn't get past Jax.

 

I think that Foster or Fournette have a chance to fall to 14.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This reminds me of last year when every Mock had Taylor Decker going to the Colts. I'd say Cook would be a perfect fit with the Colts, but the dream pick would be either Foster or Thomas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

I've seen countless mocks that have our first pick going towards Dalvin Cook. He may not even be there at our pick anyways. Cook is a pure luxury pick in my opinion. We need to focus heavy on defense by getting some young talent in quick. 

 

Cook does seem to be the most commonly identified played mocked to Indy. I also don't know how anyone could argue that defense is the most important area of need.  As a unit, clearly it is.  Play makers are needed at all levels. But what I don't agree with is calling RB in the first as a luxury pick.  Gore is 106 years old and even though he did get his 1000 yards, the Colts were at or near the bottom in 20+ yard runs.

 

Look at what Elliott did for Dallas last year.  They were in 2nd in rushing and 3rd in time of possession last year which certainly helps the defense, which ranked 14th overall.  They do not have personnel to match that defensive ranking  

 

Now much will depend on what they do in free agency and how many defensive needs are addressed.  If they come away with some key targets, it may allow them to go BPA & Cook with the pick.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solomon Thomas is the dream target! 

 

I HOPE that his size leads to a drop. If Aaron Donald can drop, so can Thomas. Here's to dreaming big!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

It is crazy how so  many analysts get fixated on specific players because of the perceived need.  We do need a RB but this does not mean we target this right away.  Last year I remember seeing multiple mocks with us drafting Leonard Floyd.  He went before our pick so we did not get him.  Last years draft IMO went very different than many expected.  Typically they do and even though I would be fine with drafting Cook I just do not see it happening.  Plus I feel like he will be gone before our pick.  I am hopefully for Foster to drop a little to some offensive players being over drafted. 

 

Also, I think Sidney Jones could be solid but 14/15 is a little early.  Barnett to me is a 4-3 DE and Cam Robinson might be solid but I would take Ryan Ramczyk before him.

Agreed! My dream pick is Foster. He'd be a FORCE in the middle of our defense, even if just paired with Edwin Jackson. I couldn't justify Jones at 14/15. Lattimore? Sure.

 

I'm also there with you on Barnett. I said on the edge rusher post a few days ago that Barnett wouldn't even be on my board. I view him as a 4-3 DE and a potential Werner 2.0 if we try to get him to play OLB. Dude's just not athletic enough for the position.

 

Cam Robinson has been sliding down the boards recently. No way I'd take him there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shive said:

Agreed! My dream pick is Foster. He'd be a FORCE in the middle of our defense, even if just paired with Edwin Jackson. I couldn't justify Jones at 14/15. Lattimore? Sure.

 

I'm also there with you on Barnett. I said on the edge rusher post a few days ago that Barnett wouldn't even be on my board. I view him as a 4-3 DE and a potential Werner 2.0 if we try to get him to play OLB. Dude's just not athletic enough for the position.

 

Cam Robinson has been sliding down the boards recently. No way I'd take him there.

Think about having a Zach Brown and Foster duo.  Immediately change our core right away.  Lattimore is one of favorites as well but he is going top-5 or 10 IMO.  I just hope a few RB/QB's get picked within the first 14 picks to help us land Foster.  Great building block right there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

 

Cook does seem to be the most commonly identified played mocked to Indy. I also don't know how anyone could argue that defense is the most important area of need.  As a unit, clearly it is.  Play makers are needed at all levels. But what I don't agree with is calling RB in the first as a luxury pick.  Gore is 106 years old and even though he did get his 1000 yards, the Colts were at or near the bottom in 20+ yard runs.

 

Look at what Elliott did for Dallas last year.  They were in 2nd in rushing and 3rd in time of possession last year which certainly helps the defense, which ranked 14th overall.  They do not have personnel to match that defensive ranking  

 

Now much will depend on what they do in free agency and how many defensive needs are addressed.  If they come away with some key targets, it may allow them to go BPA & Cook with the pick.

 

 

I agree with you and I can't deny Zeke looks great in that offense. However, I just couldn't see myself taking a RB at #14. I still think Gore can get things done for the season which is why I would look at later rounds or wait until next season to address it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

 

I agree with you and I can't deny Zeke looks great in that offense. However, I just couldn't see myself taking a RB at #14. I still think Gore can get things done for the season which is why I would look at later rounds or wait until next season to address it.

 

Love Cook, but is he really that much better than a guy like Mixon who we could get in the 3-4 round?

 

This free agency period and draft have to be all about defense.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

 

Love Cook, but is he really that much better than a guy like Mixon who we could get in the 3-4 round?

 

This free agency period and draft have to be all about defense.  

I see what you are saying but there is no guarantee anyone will be there even in late rounds.  Mixon could go beginning of 2nd if Cleveland wants him.  Ever RB could be drafted right before us and we are stuck again with a late round Josh Robinson.  Vick Ballard was solid until all the injuries added up so we can hope for someone I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my dream pick, outside of the obvious top 3-5 guys would be foster

 

hardly any mocks have him lasting until our pick

 

decker was the most commonly mocked guy to us last year, but he was taken like two picks ahead of the colts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I see what you are saying but there is no guarantee anyone will be there even in late rounds.  Mixon could go beginning of 2nd if Cleveland wants him.  Ever RB could be drafted right before us and we are stuck again with a late round Josh Robinson.  Vick Ballard was solid until all the injuries added up so we can hope for someone I guess.

 

Yeah, you certainly take a chance waiting.  We had two Josh's and a Kerwynn that haven't worked out.   

 

I just dont don't know if Cook is a generational back like Zeke, and we have so many needs on defense.  I think we can get by with the group we have now at RB.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

This reminds me of last year when every Mock had Taylor Decker going to the Colts. I'd say Cook would be a perfect fit with the Colts, but the dream pick would be either Foster or Thomas.

Yeah. It was Taylor Decker after Taylor Decker mocks... And about a week or two before the draft there was a leak from the Colts that we love Kelly and pretty much everybody after that point mocked him to us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jskinnz said:

 

Cook does seem to be the most commonly identified played mocked to Indy. I also don't know how anyone could argue that defense is the most important area of need.  As a unit, clearly it is.  Play makers are needed at all levels. But what I don't agree with is calling RB in the first as a luxury pick.  Gore is 106 years old and even though he did get his 1000 yards, the Colts were at or near the bottom in 20+ yard runs.

 

Look at what Elliott did for Dallas last year.  They were in 2nd in rushing and 3rd in time of possession last year which certainly helps the defense, which ranked 14th overall.  They do not have personnel to match that defensive ranking  

 

Now much will depend on what they do in free agency and how many defensive needs are addressed.  If they come away with some key targets, it may allow them to go BPA & Cook with the pick.

 

 

 A graet pass rusher is the obvious Dream pick.
 We need Great players and Cook has that written all over him.
 Fournette also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

 

Yeah, you certainly take a chance waiting.  We had two Josh's and a Kerwynn that haven't worked out.   

 

I just dont don't know if Cook is a generational back like Zeke, and we have so many needs on defense.  I think we can get by with the group we have now at RB.   

I just love hearing analysts compare this guy to Edge.  He was and still is a favorite of mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Foster is the dream. A top 10 talent to plug into the middle of that woeful defense.

 

Cook (or any running back) is my idea of a nightmare. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stitches said:

Yeah. It was Taylor Decker after Taylor Decker mocks... And about a week or two before the draft there was a leak from the Colts that we love Kelly and pretty much everybody after that point mocked him to us.

And I believe it was Mel Kiper who started mocking Kelly to us before everyone else did and the report came out that we loved him. I expect the same will happen in his next mock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Defjamz26 said:

And I believe it was Mel Kiper who started mocking Kelly to us before everyone else did and the report came out that we loved him. I expect the same will happen in his next mock. 

I think it was Matt Miller that released the report that we love Kelly and that we are leaning toward selecting him at 18. I'm not sure who was first to start mocking him to us and if it happened before or after that report.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

I just love hearing analysts compare this guy to Edge.  He was and still is a favorite of mine.

 

Me too.  I drafted him as a rookie in a keeper league, so I had him his entire Colts career.  

 

Thinking about drafting Cook this year, it's like living in a house with bad plumbing, a failing furnace, and in need of a new roof.   But, damn, that new Corvette would look awful good in the driveway! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

 

Me too.  I drafted him as a rookie in a keeper league, so I had him his entire Colts career.  

 

Thinking about drafting Cook this year, it's like living in a house with bad plumbing, a failing furnace, and in need of a new roof.   But, damn, that new Corvette would look awful good in the driveway! 

Going with the Corvette may not be a bad thing, at least you would get the ladies :thmup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, richard pallo said:

NFL analyst Brent Sobleski just posted an article listing every teams "Dream Target" in the draft.  For the Colts he came up with Dalvin Cook.  Mentioning Andrew needs Cook like Peyton had James.  Interesting other choices if Cook wasn't there.  2nd. OT Cam Robinson, 3rd. DE Derek Barnett, 4th. CB  Sidney Jones.  I thought it was interesting he chose Robinson since every one is so focussed on defense.  We do know how Ballard views the trenches though.  It's amazing how many times Cooks name keeps coming up in the mocks. 

 

My "dream" pick probably would be Reuben Foster, but he's not falling that far, so I'd really like Quincy Wilson to be there if all the best edge guys are gone. He's a beast. And for the record I'd be just fine if we ended up with Dalvin Cook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2017 at 10:25 AM, jskinnz said:

 

Cook does seem to be the most commonly identified played mocked to Indy. I also don't know how anyone could argue that defense is the most important area of need.  As a unit, clearly it is.  Play makers are needed at all levels. But what I don't agree with is calling RB in the first as a luxury pick.  Gore is 106 years old and even though he did get his 1000 yards, the Colts were at or near the bottom in 20+ yard runs.

 

Look at what Elliott did for Dallas last year.  They were in 2nd in rushing and 3rd in time of possession last year which certainly helps the defense, which ranked 14th overall.  They do not have personnel to match that defensive ranking  

 

Now much will depend on what they do in free agency and how many defensive needs are addressed.  If they come away with some key targets, it may allow them to go BPA & Cook with the pick.

 

I think this is the longest post I have ever seen from you.

 

I agree and that is why I think the only proper draft strategy is to go with the best player available.  The way I see it is there are 22 starters on the team and now with today's specialization at some positions there are about 30 players that, if everyone stays healthy, that will see significant playing time  And not everyone of those players will or can be an all-pro, so if you have a chance to add that potential you take it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9/10 mocks right now have us taking Dalvin.

 

IMO if you have any knowledge of then Colts roster besides 'Frank Gore is old' there is no excuse for mocking Dalvin to us at #14. I would take any position of defense at #14 over RB. At worst it's a stupid pick, at its absolute best it's a luxury pick.

 

If we take him, we better have just bossed FA with at least 3 new defensive starters.

 

What is the point in taking a star RB and then giving him 10 carries a game because our defense still can't stop anyone?

 

There will always be a sexy offensive player available when we pick (Dorsett, ish). But that is not how you build a winning team.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I think this is the longest post I have ever seen from you.

 

I agree and that is why I think the only proper draft strategy is to go with the best player available.  The way I see it is there are 22 starters on the team and now with today's specialization at some positions there are about 30 players that, if everyone stays healthy, that will see significant playing time  And not everyone of those players will or can be an all-pro, so if you have a chance to add that potential you take it.

 

Well I used to work for the company that publishes CliffsNotes - guess it rubbed off.  Why say in 50 words what you can say in 2 - such as Dear God...:thmup:

 

Agree completely with your point.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if he's my "dream target" but one player I have not heard many people talk about but as I read about him and watch highlight clips of him I really like a lot of things about his game.  He could play as an ILB or rush LB, IMO.

 

I another player I've been watching is Derek Barnett and he is quite the player, I'm just not sure where he'd fit in the Colts D.  He's not quite quick enough to be the SSLB and not big enough to play DE or DT on the line.  But, IMO some team is going to get an impact player when they draft him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I don't know if he's my "dream target" but one player I have not heard many people talk about but as I read about him and watch highlight clips of him I really like a lot of things about his game.  He could play as an ILB or rush LB, IMO.

 

I another player I've been watching is Derek Barnett and he is quite the player, I'm just not sure where he'd fit in the Colts D.  He's not quite quick enough to be the SSLB and not big enough to play DE or DT on the line.  But, IMO some team is going to get an impact player when they draft him.

Who is this one player you have not heard many talk about?  I don't see the name in your paragraph?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Myles Garrett would be MY dream pick but he won't last past the first 15 minutes. 

 

Of guys I think might be available to us, there are like 4 or 5 I would like.  I think Solomon Thomas, Derek Barnett, Jamal Adams, Reuben Foster, or Zach Cunningham might be there and any one of those guys would help from Day 1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, krunk said:

Who is this one player you have not heard many talk about?  I don't see the name in your paragraph?

See how elusive he is. :)

 

Sorry it's Zach Cunningham from Vanderbilt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

See how elusive he is. :)

 

Sorry it's Zach Cunningham from Vanderbilt

Zach ain't that bad to me either. Its just odd to see a linebacker that darn tall. Others have knocked him because they say he arm tackles. I think its more a function of him being so tall and not being able to get low enough. Some of the tackles end up in his arms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are people perceiving Dalvin Cook as a luxury pick? Gore is at the age where he could fall off a cliff production-wise and there is no formidable option behind him. Cook also is a rare talent that could take a level of pressure off Luck and the offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Restored said:

Why are people perceiving Dalvin Cook as a luxury pick? Gore is at the age where he could fall off a cliff production-wise and there is no formidable option behind him. Cook also is a rare talent that could take a level of pressure off Luck and the offense.

 

My view on it is that we're often down and start to abandon the run. Then we still have a bad defense to try to get the ball back. I'd like to see a pass rusher get drafted first. We can always get a RB at later rounds like Williams or Mixon but I just think that with how low of a pick we have, we should try to grab a monster on defense first. My opinion though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, krunk said:

Zach ain't that bad to me either. Its just odd to see a linebacker that darn tall. Others have knocked him because they say he arm tackles. I think its more a function of him being so tall and not being able to get low enough. Some of the tackles end up in his arms.

Yeah, he's not perfect but his production has been top notch and that is on a D where he got very little help, he was the focus of most team's offensive game plans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

 

My view on it is that we're often down and start to abandon the run. Then we still have a bad defense to try to get the ball back. I'd like to see a pass rusher get drafted first. We can always get a RB at later rounds like Williams or Mixon but I just think that with how low of a pick we have, we should try to grab a monster on defense first. My opinion though.

And yet, the Colts only ran the ball 16 more times in the 1st half than they did in the 2nd half.  I would rather have defense, personally, but if the Colts have a chance to get a potential elite back I would not be upset if they took it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...