Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kevin Zeitler - G - Bengals

ESPN Bengals reporter Katherine Terrell doesn't expect Cincinnati to use its franchise tag this year.

The Bengals have a number of key free agents, including RG Kevin Zeitler, LT/LG Andrew Whitworth, and CB Dre Kirkpatrick, but penny-pinching owner Mike Brown probably doesn't want to guarantee any of them top-of-the-market money. Zeitler would make the most sense as a soon-to-be 27-year-old player on the rise. But word out of Cincinnati is Zeitler is expected to reach the market.

Per Rotoworld.

Zeitler is a guy i hope the Colts make a play for.  Up and coming star and only 27.  Would instantly improve the right side.

Joseph

13 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

he would most likely draw over 5-7 m per year and I dont know if Ballard wants to spend that money but he is a very solid guard at the right price

Ballard has emphasized the trenches and how important they are, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him spend some money there.  I also think Zeitler will command more money, probably somewhere around $9 mil a year.  He's one of the league's better guards

If he gets out of Cincy I would love to grab him.  An immediate impact for the O-line.  I would sign him and not extend Mewhort's.  If Jack can stay healthy next year then sign him then, but if not you have a replacement plus youth through last year's draft.  I hope Mewhort can stay healthy because we would become a very solid line if you had AC, Jack, Kelly, Zeitler, Haeg/Clark.

Last year Osemile set a new market for top of the line guards, his contract averages out at $11.7/yr. Additionally, good guard play salaries have been moving up. With the weak class of FA, if they do not franchise him, he is going to get Osemile money. He is a very good guard in his prime, and boatloads of cap space for teams to spend, and the only way to get one of the top FA is going to be overspending, as is always the case in FA if you have targeted someone. Cleveland and SF both have over 100M in cap space and need line help desperately. Jack. needs line help and they have more cap space than we do right now, and you could argue they have more talent up and coming, although not a QB with the regression of Bortles. With the cap space, a million here or there to secure someone one of these teams want will not matter. I believe Cleveland knows they are going to have to overspend to get FA talent. The only question is does Zietler or any of top FA's want to go to teams who at best can be seen as rebuilding.

I would rather spend the money on someone like Leary. He will still demand 8-9/M yr. I bet, but he is very good, and would be the better deal,imho. I would love Zeitler, but watch as he tops Osemile from last year!

I kinda like the idea of larry warford or TJ Lang and both should be maybe a bit cheaper?

I know we all love the idea of the young guys but we have no depth in case of injuries and as much as we love them they are still uknowns. I can agree to a RG signing this offseason

25 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

Last year Osemile set a new market for top of the line guards, his contract averages out at $11.7/yr. Additionally, good guard play salaries have been moving up. With the weak class of FA, if they do not franchise him, he is going to get Osemile money. He is a very good guard in his prime, and boatloads of cap space for teams to spend, and the only way to get one of the top FA is going to be overspending, as is always the case in FA if you have targeted someone. Cleveland and SF both have over 100M in cap space and need line help desperately. Jack. needs line help and they have more cap space than we do right now, and you could argue they have more talent up and coming, although not a QB with the regression of Bortles. With the cap space, a million here or there to secure someone one of these teams want will not matter. I believe Cleveland knows they are going to have to overspend to get FA talent. The only question is does Zietler or any of top FA's want to go to teams who at best can be seen as rebuilding.

I would rather spend the money on someone like Leary. He will still demand 8-9/M yr. I bet, but he is very good, and would be the better deal,imho. I would love Zeitler, but watch as he tops Osemile from last year!

Ronald Leary will NOT command 8-9 mil per year. I will eat crow if he actually does. I'm guessing more like 5-6 mil per.

23 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

Osemele is a tough comparison as the majority of his contract year he played LT and graded out in the top 10, therefore, got handsomely rewarded. I'm not saying Zietler isn't going to get paid but I would offer around 9M.

4 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Ballard has emphasized the trenches and how important they are, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him spend some money there.  I also think Zeitler will command more money, probably somewhere around $9 mil a year.  He's one of the league's better guards

Agreed but he is worth it and is an upgrade over our current RG we could try Haeg out at LT then and move Castonzo to right tackle.

51 minutes ago, Indy Fan said:

Osemele is a tough comparison as the majority of his contract year he played LT and graded out in the top 10, therefore, got handsomely rewarded. I'm not saying Zietler isn't going to get paid but I would offer around 9M.

Osemele played some games at LT but not most. He was mostly at LG, though he started his career at RT, IIRC. Eugene Monroe (and Oher before that) was Ravens LT when Osemele was there.

Osemele contract has no signing bonuses. Zero, none. No dead cap hit if cut after next year. Raiders structure all their FA contracts that way (Mack and Carr will probably break it though). It has advantages, but the disadvantage is that they have to give more dollars overall to offset that players don't get any money upfront.

Osemele is a top 5ish guard in the NFL. Maybe top 3. Zeitler is a boss. A very good guard, but more top 15ish, though he was the man this year and seems to be another ascending player hitting the market. He wont get as much as Osemele, but he'll get paid a lot. So give me TJ Lang who's a bit older, but he'd be cheaper. We could probably sign him for 3/24 or something. That's 8 million per. Zeitler will get more years and more guaranteed money IMO. More like 5/50ish.

Also. Last year some posters said you had concerns because of Dalton getting rid of the ball quickly, and maybe Zeitler wasn't as good as people thought, etc. IMO don't think anything about that. You can tell by watching him he's an elite level guard.

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Ronald Leary will NOT command 8-9 mil per year. I will eat crow if he actually does. I'm guessing more like 5-6 mil per.

I think he makes top end of that maybe a little more but not 8 or 9. Honestly he was the weak link on that OL last year. I don't know what his numbers show but I felt like penalties and pressures usually came from him. I think he was helped tremendously from the talent around him. I'd rather not invest in him. If I'm going to spend money on the OL I want to get the stud...not the guy playing next to him that's getting help. At first I was thinking we don't need a big signing for the OL but the more I started thinking about Jack's injuries the more I felt like it would be better we lock someone up to play guard and let Haeg and Clark play for RT. That way the other and Good can be backups because who knows if Jack can come back healthy again and we always have injuries so it would give us the best OL we've had here in probably a decade.

Sign the man!   A great guard entering his prime and he's young.  If he hits FA he should be a top target for us along with Ingram if he hits FA.  CB said it starts in the trenches and this guy is the perfect road grader. People are getting hung up on how much to pay him.  You want to pay less for a lesser talent because he might cost one or two million more.  Really?  In the NFL a few million is peanuts when you have the cap space we have to get a great player.  We need some great players.  Difference makers. It isn't going to happen going cheap. I don't mind if he gets paid a lot.  Somebody is going to pay him and I hope it's us and he's the first of a couple of blue chip FA's we sign.  

3 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Agreed but he is worth it and is an upgrade over our current RG we could try Haeg out at LT then and move Castonzo to right tackle.

I agree.  I'd love to see us sign Zeitler.  Best case scenario is Clark has developed into a reliable starter and they move Castonzo to the right side because his play has been up and down.  Clark-Mewhort-Kelly-Zeitler-Castonzo could be one of the league's better starting lineups

5 hours ago, Finball said:

Osemele played some games at LT but not most. He was mostly at LG, though he started his career at RT, IIRC. Eugene Monroe (and Oher before that) was Ravens LT when Osemele was there.

Osemele contract has no signing bonuses. Zero, none. No dead cap hit if cut after next year. Raiders structure all their FA contracts that way (Mack and Carr will probably break it though). It has advantages, but the disadvantage is that they have to give more dollars overall to offset that players don't get any money upfront.

Okay not "most" however I remember watching Osemele play LT at least in three games while still grading out pretty well according to pro football focus. You are correct he did start his career as a RT and played the majority at LG, however, was considered one top 5 guards. What I am hinting at is that Zeitler shouldn't make comparable to Osemele unless the Browns offer something ridiculous. Signing Zeitler gives the Colts an opportunity to really solidify the O-line and focus on our main weakness (that front 7)...

I'd rather sign Leary or Pasztor and add Hodges ILB to the D. If you couldn't get both for what you pay for Zeiter. It would be close. 

If we hand out a big contract in FA I'm looking at the D front 7. I'd like to see us find a way to get Ingram in Indy. I believe we will resign Walden to a reasonable deal. That would ease the strain on the draft. I would be happy if we managed Leary Hodges and Ingram. 

I don't like the idea of heading into the draft with nothing at OLB and next to nothing at ILB. We would still need to address the same positions but it wouldn't feel as pressing. 

17 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Zeitler should be our #1 Priority

Haeg wasn`t up to playing anywhere last season. How about he is a backup this year as he develops his skills. Maybe RT in 2018 as we move Clark to LT and send Castonzio packing. That`s the Ticket! :thmup:

Question?  Does Zeitler play right guard or left guard for the Bengals.

Right guards actually tend to earn a little less then left guards.  But a RG is what we need. 

Of course my only issue is that we might have the talent to put together a good OL in house already.  Haeg and Clark will both have another year of experience and they both flashed some ability as rookies.  

4 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Zeitler should be our #1 Priority

Haeg wasn`t up to playing anywhere last season. How about he is a backup this year as he develops his skills. Maybe RT in 2018 as we move Clark to LT and send Castonzio packing. That`s the Ticket! :thmup:

Haeg was actually pretty good he needs to get a little bit stronger but other than that he could be a very good player.

On 2/13/2017 at 9:00 AM, UKColt13 said:

I highly doubt they let Zeitler walk. 

Cant afford to lose both Zeitler and Whitworth. Keep the younger man.

If Zeitler isn't an option, I'd entertain the idea of grabbing Whitworth and moving Castonzo to RT. Whitworth's still got a couple of good years in him, and that would give the Colts a little buffer before they need to seriously think about drafting a high-end LT. It would also put Castonzo in a position to succeed, as opposed to having up & down production while protecting Luck's blind side.

At that point, there'd be a really competitive training camp between Haeg and Clark for the starting RG spot.

On 2/14/2017 at 0:12 PM, Valpo2004 said:

Question?  Does Zeitler play right guard or left guard for the Bengals.

Right guards actually tend to earn a little less then left guards.  But a RG is what we need. 

Of course my only issue is that we might have the talent to put together a good OL in house already.  Haeg and Clark will both have another year of experience and they both flashed some ability as rookies.  

According to the Bengals website Zeitler was the starting RG.  I wanted the Colts to draft Whitehair in addition to Kelly in last year's draft.  Instead when we had the chance to do so the Colts traded down and Whitehair was picked by Chicago (Colts had the next pick).  We ended up picking Green instead.  Green looks to be a fine prospect but not ready to start right away.  Not what I would want from a second round pick.  Result, week right side.... AGAIN.  Signing Zeitler solves so many issues with the OL IMO.

Joseph

On 2/14/2017 at 1:47 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

If Zeitler isn't an option, I'd entertain the idea of grabbing Whitworth and moving Castonzo to RT. Whitworth's still got a couple of good years in him, and that would give the Colts a little buffer before they need to seriously think about drafting a high-end LT. It would also put Castonzo in a position to succeed, as opposed to having up & down production while protecting Luck's blind side.

At that point, there'd be a really competitive training camp between Haeg and Clark for the starting RG spot.

I will with today's NFL and how D's scheme against teams you need a solid left and right tackle.  The blind side is always a key importance but you need someone to play solid at the RT spot as well.  If we went with your idea we would have a solid book end on each side.  We would just need our RG to become a solid piece and I see Haeg being able to do so.  I think this would make our line better for at least 2 years until we spend a 1st round pick on the next LT to replace Whitworth.  Love the thought!

On February 13, 2017 at 6:15 PM, richard pallo said:

Sign the man!   A great guard entering his prime and he's young.  If he hits FA he should be a top target for us along with Ingram if he hits FA.  CB said it starts in the trenches and this guy is the perfect road grader. People are getting hung up on how much to pay him.  You want to pay less for a lesser talent because he might cost one or two million more.  Really?  In the NFL a few million is peanuts when you have the cap space we have to get a great player.  We need some great players.  Difference makers. It isn't going to happen going cheap. I don't mind if he gets paid a lot.  Somebody is going to pay him and I hope it's us and he's the first of a couple of blue chip FA's we sign.  

I think it'd be easily justified to give Zeitler something in the order of David Decastro's contract, 10 mil per year. We can afford it, many of our O-linemen are on rookie contracts. 

3 hours ago, Track Guy said:

I think it'd be easily justified to give Zeitler something in the order of David Decastro's contract, 10 mil per year. We can afford it, many of our O-linemen are on rookie contracts. 

Help solidify the o-line to get some larger holes for our backs and give Luck a little more time will do wonders. Then really let's Ballard focus on improving our defense without worrying about the offense til later.

10 hours ago, Indy Fan said:

Help solidify the o-line to get some larger holes for our backs and give Luck a little more time will do wonders. Then really let's Ballard focus on improving our defense without worrying about the offense til later.

With the additions of an impact starting RG and RB, I'd be perfectly content to leave the rest of the offense alone. Perhaps draft a TE in the 4th or 5th if Doyle isn't retained for some reason. But most or all of the rest of the draft and free agent signings - defense. 

5 hours ago, ponyboy said:

How do Lang and Zeitler compare to Mewhort?  I'd be all for upgrading the line this year with one of these FA, but it might mean you have to let Jack walk next year.

I believe they are both ranked ahead of Mewhort and also are a little older.  I think the idea is to keep Mewhort at LG as he is solid and will only get better.  Zeitler would go to RG.  Mewhort is a keeper IMO.

Osemeli was a LG in Baltimore, and Oakland paid him top of the money market. He had to play some tackle because of Penn being hurt, if I remember correctly.

As far as RG, I really do think Haeg was very good for a rookie. He will only improve. I would have no problem signing Zeitler, although I think with Lang, Leary, there are some exceptional choices for guard play, so maybe they will bring a little competition into the market and bid Zeitler down. If that happens, I would be happy to have him. What happened to Warford. I loved him coming out and as a rookie he was a stud. After that, has he regressed.

I think the addition of Zeitler would make one of the most criticized units in the NFL turn into one of the most praised. Hes not a one dimensional guard he's world class in pass protection and run blocking. Let's Haeg kick out to RT, I like him at guard but his pass blocking set is beautiful. He kick slides so fluid, has good athleticism, and re anchors so well. He probably won't be ready yet, but with Haegs pass blocking he might be a LT someday. AC is a natural RT, if one of our young Ts can emerge as a good LT we could have a top 5 o line.

On 2/13/2017 at 6:26 PM, 21isSuperman said:

I agree.  I'd love to see us sign Zeitler.  Best case scenario is Clark has developed into a reliable starter and they move Castonzo to the right side because his play has been up and down.  Clark-Mewhort-Kelly-Zeitler-Castonzo could be one of the league's better starting lineups

There is no way I would consider moving Le'Raven Clark to left tackle. I did not see anything in those last 3 games to lead me to believe he is the future at right tackle let alone left tackle. I hope that he continues to progress, makes a jump in his second year, and becomes a reliable right tackle. Castonzo needs to shape up or risk being waived.

It will be interesting to see Mewhort's recovery from the knee injury. He was not the most nimble of linemen before the injury. He is solid, nothing more.

I am more interested in seeing Joe Haeg's improvement in year 2. He could become one of our better interior linemen. He reminds me of former Colt Jake Scott. 

2 hours ago, Manning1887 said:

There is no way I would consider moving Le'Raven Clark to left tackle. I did not see anything in those last 3 games to lead me to believe he is the future at right tackle let alone left tackle. I hope that he continues to progress, makes a jump in his second year, and becomes a reliable right tackle. Castonzo needs to shape up or risk being waived.

It will be interesting to see Mewhort's recovery from the knee injury. He was not the most nimble of linemen before the injury. He is solid, nothing more.

I am more interested in seeing Joe Haeg's improvement in year 2. He could become one of our better interior linemen. He reminds me of former Colt Jake Scott. 

Coming out of college, many scouts thought he had/has the tools to be a left tackle if he can work on his technique.  He has all the physical tools to be a LT, he just needs to improve his technique.  With this being his second offseason in a pro offense, I think he's had a lot of time to improve and develop.  If, and only if, he has developed to the satisfaction of the coaches, I think it would be worth it to give him a shot at left tackle.  I'm not too confident with Castonzo, so I think it can't hurt to at least try it out and see how he does during OTAs and training camp

12 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I think our interior is decent( Mewhort, Kelly, Haeg).

I'm more concerned with the T's.

Haegs pass blocking would make him a nice RT, I like him at guard but his biggest issue is strength. He's 6'6, athletic, and run blocks really well for a tackle. Put Zeitler next to him that might be our strong side. Hopefully AC can stay consistent, if not his contract is up and we take a legit LT early next year