Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Colts GM Chris Ballard Bring Chiefs Eric Berry, Dontari Poe to Indy?

Luck2Hilton4TD

http://horseshoeheroes.com/2017/02/03/could-colts-chris-ballard-bring-chiefs-eric-berry-dontari-poe-to-indy/

Eric Berry seems highly unlikely (even if he claims he won't play under tag he'll get slapped with tag if a long-term deal can't be reached). However, it looks like Kansas City won't be able to re-sign both Berry and Poe which leaves Poe are a realistic target for Colts at NT. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I highly doubt Berry is let go. Kansas City is pretty strapped for money this year, but he's someone you work something out for. Poe is much more likely but he's going to cost way too much. I don't think the Colts realistically will end up with either

Is it just me or did Poe just not overwhelm me with his play in the largest game of his season against the Pats? That defense got gashed and iirc, Poe wasn't a factor in that game at all. Do you pay 12-15 million a year for a guy who doesn't shine in such a big game? That concerns me a big for the simple fact Poe is surrounded by talent and they barely slowed Tommy boy wonder up in that game. We have far less defensive talent to surround Poe with so will teams simply just eliminate Poe knowing we have no other talent to get through the offensive line? Unless we add 2 superior talents on that defense, I'd probably forgo spending such cash on one player. Idk, I'm torn here. 

42 minutes ago, Luck2Hilton4TD said:

http://horseshoeheroes.com/2017/02/03/could-colts-chris-ballard-bring-chiefs-eric-berry-dontari-poe-to-indy/

Eric Berry seems highly unlikely (even if he claims he won't play under tag he'll get slapped with tag if a long-term deal can't be reached). However, it looks like Kansas City won't be able to re-sign both Berry and Poe which leaves Poe are a realistic target for Colts at NT. 

Could he?     Is it technically possible?      Probably.

But is it likely?      Probably NOT.

Berry will get the tag whether he likes it or not.    And Poe is likely after a deal of $10 million per year or more,  and I'm doubtful that where our new GM wants to put his money.     On a nose tackle?     Not sure I see that happening.......?

5 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Is it just me or did Poe just not overwhelm me with his play in the largest game of his season against the Pats? That defense got gashed and iirc, Poe wasn't a factor in that game at all. Do you pay 12-15 million a year for a guy who doesn't shine in such a big game? That concerns me a big for the simple fact Poe is surrounded by talent and they barely slowed Tommy boy wonder up in that game. We have far less defensive talent to surround Poe with so will teams simply just eliminate Poe knowing we have no other talent to get through the offensive line? Unless we add 2 superior talents on that defense, I'd probably forgo spending such cash on one player. Idk, I'm torn here. 

Chiefs and Patriots didn't play this year. But I'd gladly take both if possible. The defense needs help and they would help

2 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

Chiefs and Patriots didn't play this year. But I'd gladly take both if possible. The defense needs help and they would help

My mistake, not the pats, gashed by the Steelers. My patriots hater glasses were on. 170 yards by Bell?? 

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

Good players can have bad games at inopportune times, he could've been injured etc. But I'm not a fan of paying him what it would likely take either.

I prefer Campbell and Baker maybe even Walker, Hankins and Klug for various reasons; big one of them being the contract.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

On a nose tackle?     Not sure I see that happening.......?

If he could consistently be 2014 poe who had 6 sacks then he might worth it because that mames him more than just NT imo.  However his sack numbers the past 2 years suggest that 2014 may have been a fluke.

33 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

If he could consistently be 2014 poe who had 6 sacks then he might worth it because that mames him more than just NT imo.  However his sack numbers the past 2 years suggest that 2014 may have been a fluke.

Wouldn't be concerned with Poe's sack numbers, as much as whether he can stop the run. Parry is too small IMO and the Colts could use an upgrade regardless. 

You don't overpay for physical defensive players like NT, LB, S. You draft well and develop them. Save your money for stuff like pass-rush, cornerback, OL. 

And to be honest, Ballard isn't paying anyone over 10 million dollars a year unless that person massively shifts the defense AND is like under 27. Poe is good but not worth that money. 

15 minutes ago, Luck2Hilton4TD said:

Wouldn't be concerned with Poe's sack numbers, as much as whether he can stop the run. Parry is too small IMO and the Colts could use an upgrade regardless. 

Only reason I'm bringing up sack numbers is because of how much people are talking about Poe getting paid

3 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I wouldn't chalk up his whole career after one game. We handled Khalil Mack pretty well but that doesn't mean he isn't elite

11 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

I wouldn't chalk up his whole career after one game. We handled Khalil Mack pretty well but that doesn't mean he isn't elite

Fair enough and I'm not a kc football fan so I haven't seen any of his games except that playoff game however I did look at his 2016 stats and they are not impressive but I also understand there is more than just stats to a player. Idk, I would rather go buy an edge rusher or cb than a NT in the top tier. 

12 hours ago, masnerj said:

You don't overpay for physical defensive players like NT, LB, S. You draft well and develop them. Save your money for stuff like pass-rush, cornerback, OL. 

And to be honest, Ballard isn't paying anyone over 10 million dollars a year unless that person massively shifts the defense AND is like under 27. Poe is good but not worth that money. 

lets hope not

I love Berry but there are a couple other safeties out there that are just as good if not better that won't be nearly expensive if we want to go the FA route. I think Ballard would know better than anyone that the Chiefs aren't letting Berry go unless he demands a HUGE contact and I just don't think you pay safeties that kind of money imo. We've seen some pretty good safety play during our years here and breaking the bank for a safety doesn't seem to make sense.

http://football.realgm.com/wiretap/38131/Eric-Berry-Says-He-Wont-Play-Under-Franchise-Tag-In-2017

Eric Berry Says He Won't Play Under Franchise Tag In 2017

Feb 3, 2017 8:15 AM

Eric Berry played last season under the Kansas City Chiefs' franchise tag, but he isn't willing to do so again.

"I'm definitely not going to play under the franchise tag this year," Berry told the NFL Network. "I want to end my career in Kansas City. I want to play there. I love the city, I love the vibe. I love my teammates. I really look at them more than teammates. We've been through a lot, and they supported me a lot.

"But I don't feel comfortable playing under the franchise tag this year."

The Chiefs designated Berry as their franchise player last year after the sides couldn't agree on a long-term contract. He made $10.8 million.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I love Berry but there are a couple other safeties out there that are just as good if not better that won't be nearly expensive if we want to go the FA route. I think Ballard would know better than anyone that the Chiefs aren't letting Berry go unless he demands a HUGE contact and I just don't think you pay safeties that kind of money imo. We've seen some pretty good safety play during our years here and breaking the bank for a safety doesn't seem to make sense.

who exactly?

Berry is a great Safety but we have Gathers who seems pretty good, and if we just invest in T.J. Green, he needs time to develop but he has all the tools needed to excel, i do think that we won't be singing any Safety(well we are gonna re-sign Butler or Adams), and my choice would be J. Cyprien has a lower profile but i think the Jags are gonna overpay him to keep him.

21 hours ago, masnerj said:

Yeah. I agree with you.