Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What's the logic behind Pagano staying?/ Irsay's Decision (Merge)

Dark Superman

For weeks there were reports that Jim Irsay valued GM Ryan Grigson over Pagano. For weeks I was led on to believe that if anyone were to be fired it would of been Pagano. There were reports that Jim Irsay didn't want to fire GM Ryan Grigson and hand over the keys to Jon Gruden, but he would have clearly fired Pagano for Gruden in a heartbeat if he was willing to work with GM Ryan Grigson.

So now Grigson gets the axe and Irsay claims that Pagano will be our coach for the 2017 season. Irsay also stated he will be hiring a new GM who will come in and evaluate the team from top to bottom.

So what if the new GM doesn't want Pagano? Doesn't he have the right to fire him?

I don't like Pagano at all and I really hope if Irsay is going to make a change he would fire Pagano as well. We need an upgrade at the coaching position. I don't believe in Pagano and as long as he's here the Colts will never win anything above a AFC South Title.

I'm praying Pagano is gone within a week or two of a new GM being hired.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Green_Ranger said:

For weeks there were reports that Jim Irsay valued GM Ryan Grigson over Pagano. For weeks I was led on to believe that if anyone were to be fired it would of been Pagano. There were reports that Jim Irsay didn't want to fire GM Ryan Grigson and hand over the keys to Jon Gruden, but he would have clearly fired Pagano for Gruden in a heartbeat if he was willing to work with GM Ryan Grigson.

So now Grigson gets the axe and Irsay claims that Pagano will be our coach for the 2017 season. Irsay also stated he will be hiring a new GM who will come in and evaluate the team from top to bottom.

So what if the new GM doesn't want Pagano? Doesn't he have the right to fire him?

I don't like Pagano at all and I really hope if Irsay is going to make a change he would fire Pagano as well. We need an upgrade at the coaching position. I don't believe in Pagano and as long as he's here the Colts will never win anything above a AFC South Title.

Those reports were bogus.

Just now, John Waylon said:

That's why you don't believe things that come from twitter and sources who have no credibility.

As far as pagano, Irsay said today that he is our coach for 2017.

Not that I expect that to change the minds of those who still wish/expect to see him fired.

Wouldn't the new GM have the final word in Pagano's future? Doesn't the GM decide who our coach will be?

That's why you don't believe things that come from twitter and sources who have no credibility.

As far as pagano, Irsay said today that he is our coach for 2017.

Not that I expect that to change the minds of those who still wish/expect to see him fired.

Wouldn't the new GM have the final word in Pagano's future? Doesn't the GM decide who our coach will be?

Unless his boss tells him otherwise.

And that seems to be the situation here right now.

Believe it or not, this GM job is an attractive one. We've got the biggest puzzle pieces figured out and our most glaring weakness was addressed last draft with encouraging results the last half of the season. Even if Irsay dictates that Pagano must stay for 2017, the new GM would, presumably, be able to replace him next year if he so desires. Irsay may, and probably does, believe that the delayed firing of Grigson won't hurt his GM search but feels differently about the coach search. If Pagano disappoints again, then next year can start on Black Monday or before with finding a new coach. Even if stuck with Pags for their first year, the new GM will have the opportunity of returning a struggling franchise back to its former glory with one of the best QBs in the league already secured. Most GM candidates would salivate at that proposition, I would think.

1 hour ago, Green_Ranger said:

When the new GM is hired,  it will be with the understanding that Pagano will get a year to prove himself to the new GM.      And to approach keeping him with an open mind.

But.....

If the season is another disappointing one,  then the GM gets to fire Pagano and hire his guy.

This is not going to be a problem.     This has happened elsewhere....    it can happen here.

In a normal situation yes.  But normality was thrown out the window last year when there was a press conference pulling together two people who did not like each other, who started to run the team aground, and who, at the same time, were rewarded with long-term contracts as incentive to "get along".  Highly dysfunctional.  But hey, we're back to at least having an empty navigator seat and a first officer.  We will eventually get someone with 4 stripes who sits in the left seat.

9 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

Oh the memories

Yeah, Chris Farley however would've just flat out dominated the Power Rangers.  RIP. . . . .

Only if the Power Rangers lived in a VAAAAAAANNNNNNN DDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOWWWWWWWNNNN BBBBBBYYYYYY   TTTTTTHHHHHHHEEE RRRRRRRIIIIVVVVVVVVVEEEEERRR!

I think the link (in my opinion) that most may be missing is that it's all but a forgone conclusion that Jimmy Raye III will be the new GM and thus the reason Pagano stays.

It's just how I see it shaking out.

So rebuttal would then be...then why wouldn't he just announce that he was the new GM already? Because he has to keep up appearances for one and due diligence is the other.

Again, just my opinion...but you can consider this fact you know because so many people consider opinions and rumors as fact these days!

32 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

I think the link (in my opinion) that most may be missing is that it's all but a forgone conclusion that Jimmy Raye III will be the new GM and thus the reason Pagano stays.

So rebuttal would then be...then why wouldn't he just announce that he was the new GM already? Because he has to keep up appearances for one and due diligence is the other.

Again, just my opinion...but you can consider this fact you know because so many people consider opinions and rumors as fact these days!

But if you hire Raye III as the GM, then you have to fill the vacancy of VP of Football Operations.

If Raye is such a strong asset that he could fill the role as GM, then hiring a top notch GM candidate, in addition to keeping Raye III in his VP role, could really bolster the front office.

That said, you could very well end up being 100% correct.

9 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

But if you hire Raye III as the GM, then you have to fill the vacancy of VP of Football Operations.

If Raye is such a strong asset that he could fill the role as GM, then hiring a top notch GM candidate, in addition to keeping Raye III in his VP role, could really bolster the front office.

That said, you could very well end up being 100% correct.

The silver lining to raye coming over to gm would be that Peyton could fill the vp role and start his transition to eventually be a GM/partial owner. 

36 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

The silver lining to raye coming over to gm would be that Peyton could fill the vp role and start his transition to eventually be a GM/partial owner. 

This looks like such an obvious and amazing plan. It's too perfect in theory to actually come off isn't it?

1 hour ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

That's very wishful thinking, though not out of the realm of possibility 

2 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

There is all sorts of speculation how the Colts front office and coaching will shake out. No one - probably not even Jim Irsay - knows for sure. The thoughts expressed during press conferences are only impressions, not guarantees as some in this forum believe. My concern is that it has taken this long to make critical decisions. It's not like the situation wasn't obvious. It could have been planned for and better managed. Management always has to deal with uncertainty and ameliorate risks.

13 hours ago, Green_Ranger said:

Pagano picked this coaching staff basically. easier to replace 1 person than an entire coaching staff. Maybe Pagano is canned next off-season if he doesnt improve

1 minute ago, egg said:

Irsay was very clear that in 2017 Pagano will be on a very hot seat

I told people here weeks ago that Pagano has this year to to prove himself or that will be it....

Some people said Irsay would never fire Pagano or Grigson with years left on their contracts.    That Irsay would not eat the money.      Well,  he's eating three years of Grigson's deal,   and if Pagano doesn't do a better job,  he'll eat the last two years on that deal.

I would rather replace him as well, but I think the reason is that Grigson undermined him so much that Irsay wants to give Chuck at least one season to prove what he can do without Grigson hanging over his every decision and criticizing his every move. That and the fact that there are not many good coaches available right now.

3 minutes ago, presto123 said:

I would rather replace him as well, but I think the reason is that Grigson undermined him so much that Irsay wants to give Chuck at least one season to prove what he can do without Grigson hanging over his every decision and criticizing his every move. That and the fact that there are not many good coaches available right now.

He's had 5 or 6 seasons to make bad in game management , poor use of clock, lack of team being prepared, stupid trick plays. How's that Grigson fault? It doesn't make sense to cut out half the problem. 

5 years of dreading "chuck come to my office" idk how he did it considering how much has come to light. I'm not a huge chuck supporter but I know what it's like to have a boss like that. I'm willing to see how this next season goes. I mean I thought I was going to have to with both grigson and pagano so this is better anyways. Hey the glass is half empty now guys!

4 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

He's had 5 or 6 seasons to make bad in game management , poor use of clock, lack of team being prepared, stupid trick plays. How's that Grigson fault? It doesn't make sense to cut out half the problem. 

I didn't say it was. I just said I want to replace him. I was just trying to reason IRSAY'S decision. It wouldn't have been mine by any stretch.

Just now, presto123 said:

I didn't say it was. I just said I want to replace him. I was just trying to reason IRSAY'S decision. It wouldn't have been mine by any stretch.

Nobody knows what Irsays thinking . What if the new GM doesn't want Pagano ? Most guys are going to want their own coach in there . This situation is weird. 

3 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

Nobody knows what Irsays thinking . What if the new GM doesn't want Pagano ? Most guys are going to want their own coach in there . This situation is weird. 

That's what I thought too. But Grigson never did choose Pagano did he? That was Irsay's decision right? 

Will Irsay's decision to keep Chuck mean that the new GM and him will have trouble getting along if the GM is forced to have Chuck as coach. Or did Irsay say that because he wants Raye as GM and raye and Pagano get along well? The latter is what I am thinking sadly. 

Winning 8 or more games every year with the most injured defense in the league. Seems we don't take that into account and still expect to beat the best teams in the league.

Players also love, respect, and play hard for him in games. Need to see him with a pass rush to see how good he can be.

Seems people want to get rid of Pagano to get an offensive coach and I don't see how that fixes the defense. Don't care if he stays or not really though. Grigson was the problem to me.

14 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Will Irsay's decision to keep Chuck mean that the new GM and him will have trouble getting along if the GM is forced to have Chuck as coach. Or did Irsay say that because he wants Raye as GM and raye and Pagano get along well? The latter is what I am thinking sadly. 

In that case it would be a charade to interview other candidates. Why not just give the job to Raye and be done with it?