Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jon Gruden turns down Colts job despite interest from Irsay

CF4L

2 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

If the rumors are true, and now we have leaked information, does this bind Irsay to find a replacement for Pagano this year? It wouldn't make sense to allow Pagano to coach this season as a 'lame duck, when all of the players are aware of the rumors.

I think so.  I imagine this wouldn't go over well with Pagano, knowing that the Colts are trying to replace him while he's still employed by them.  Either fire him and let him pursue a job elsewhere while you find your next coach, or stay with him.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Corndog said:

You wouldn't think so, I mean you could, but it wouldn't be in the best interest of the team at this point. 

It would definitely not be in the best interest of the team. Players would be playing for a coach that the owner doesn't have confidence in. That would effect the play on the field

I think people are wrong in that Jim will feel like he has to do anything.

Gruden denied it, Irsay can deny it. It won't change what most people think, but Irsay's probably fine with that. He basically did the same thing last year on a lesser scale when he told the media they were completely wrong about Chuck and Ryan's job being in question.

1 hour ago, Shive said:

This is very similar to the Miami situation years ago where they pursued Harbaugh while Sparano was still HC. Didn't end well for them... Hopefully it just lights a fire under Pags, the team rallies around him, and we stomp some faces next season.

It isn't like Pagano has been saving a special coaching trick for just this moment.  There is no trump card up his sleeve.  More to the point, if this is what it takes for him to "coach at his best", then Irsay hired the wrong man to begin with. I share your hope, but I feel that way about the Colts regardless of coach, players, GM, etc.  Just win.  I don't care who does it or why or how. 

They can deny the rumors all they want, but "where there's smoke there's fire" (I thought this was an appropriate place for a cliche). 

I'm sure Pagano has enough contacts in the league to know if Irsay went after Gruden. If it's true, he should meet with Irsay and tell him "I'm going to resign, but my guaranteed salary is coming with me."

"Do we have a deal?"

The Pats survived deflategate and filming the Rams walk through, Atlanta survived Michael Vick, Baltimore survived Lewis and Rice, the Jets survived being a dumpster fire in NY, the Colts will be fine in regards to th media. 

8 minutes ago, #12. said:

I'm curious as to how the apologists will go about defending him moving forward.

You can't. Essentially it looks like Jim waited too long. I think had he canned them last year like we thought he would, he may have gotten Gruden. But instead kept them and tried to find a replacement while they were still employed. I'm happy he explored and upgrade and showed he can see we need better but this circus is on him.

4 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

I think there will be someone else. You just can't do all this and keep the same coach right?

It's Irsay so would not surprise me.  If he was definitely moving on from Pagano why wouldn't he have fired him by now.  If Irsay is only looking at "home run" hires, he is limiting his options and not sure how many/if any are even left. He has not handled this well.  He either needs to blank or get off the pot.  I think what is problematic is that Irsay in his own mind recognizes he doesn't have the right guy, but still may go back to the same guy. Crazy.

7 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I think people are wrong in that Jim will feel like he has to do anything.

Gruden denied it, Irsay can deny it. It won't change what most people think, but Irsay's probably fine with that. He basically did the same thing last year on a lesser scale when he told the media they were completely wrong about Chuck and Ryan's job being in question.

It was never confirmed, although rumored, that Irsay looked at other options last season.  Irsay and Gruden can deny all they want, but Schefter being an employee for ESPN along with Gruden, would be risking his job if he fabricated this story. 

20 minutes ago, corgi said:

The Pats survived deflategate and filming there Rams walk through, Atlanta survived Michael Vick, Baltimore survived Lewis and Rice, the Jets survived being a dumpster fire in NY, the Colts will be fine in regards to th media. 

I think some rather this be the end of Colts Nation.

9 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I think so.  I imagine this wouldn't go over well with Pagano, knowing that the Colts are trying to replace him while he's still employed by them.  Either fire him and let him pursue a job elsewhere while you find your next coach, or stay with him.

Chuck has claimed he is retiring after this job.  Take it for what it's worth.

4 minutes ago, coltsva said:

They can deny the rumors all they want, but "where there's smoke there's fire" (I thought this was an appropriate place for a cliche). 

I'm sure Pagano has enough contacts in the league to know if Irsay went after Gruden. If it's true, he should meet with Irsay and tell him "I'm going to resign, but my guaranteed salary is coming with me."

"Do we have a deal?"

No way Pagano gets his entire guaranteed contract if he resigns.  I have seen coaches walk away with a year or two of their salary and it has to be mutual. 

3 minutes ago, Corndog said:

It was never confirmed, although rumored, that Irsay looked at other options.  Irsay and Gruden can deny all they want, but Schefter being an employee for ESPN along with Gruden, would be risking his job if he fabricated this story. 

Irsay has never exactly had a good standing with the National press. Just look at how much Mortensen hates him, they even had that petty back and forth the year they released Peyton.

I don't think he cares much. You are right though, at least to me, it doesn't matter how much they deny it.

1 hour ago, Shive said:

This is very similar to the Miami situation years ago where they pursued Harbaugh while Sparano was still HC. Didn't end well for them... Hopefully it just lights a fire under Pags, the team rallies around him, and we stomp some faces next season.

too blatantly awkward, if true (the turn-down), it's hitting quite a few outlets already.... and the timing can't be worse (4 games, all at prime times in midwest and east, yipes.....media field-day this weekend).  I hope he has plans B, C, & D but I doubt it.  What was it that Kravy said, grand slam or major whiff.   Let's hope not, I will still hold out hope....but oh my.

I believe this story to be true....

Shefter works for ESPN.     Gruden works for ESPN.      Gruden, while denying that he talked with Irsay and says he doesn't know anything and he's a broadcaster and not a coach,   is not going to let Shefter get the story wrong.

I did like this tweet from Shefter regarding Irsay...      Hopefully this some level of assurance to those who think Irsay is not paying attention to his team.

Jim Irsay’s run at Jon Gruden is another sign of state of his thinking. Irsay determined to do anything in his power to return Colts to SB.

this wasnt the be all end all for me. Irsay would have basically had to give gruden complete control and a heck of a salary to pull him away from his cushy ESPN job. I still think the best option for the colts is josh mcdaniels. I would love to see luck in his offense

The longer this finding a new coach and gm drags on, the worst it is going to be for this market. If these guys are brought back and they continue down the path of last place in the AFC South, I may have to get NFL Sunday Ticket because there will be alot of empty seats in Lucas Oil and a lot of black outs on Sunday Afternoon for the local market

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

this wasnt the be all end all for me. Irsay would have basically had to give gruden complete control and a heck of a salary to pull him away from his cushy ESPN job. I still think the best option for the colts is josh mcdaniels. I would love to see luck in his offense

If McDaniels decided to call the plays

Look... all of this talk as an uncomfortable situation is hogwash...

Irsay needs and probably will sit these 2 knuckleheads down, especially Pagano and say " look I agreed to both extensions but not being able to beat a HORRIBLE AFC south to make the playoffs with the top QB in the division is unacceptable... NO EXCUSES and youre damn right I'm gonna replace you if I can because clearly you are in over your head, so consider yourself as dead guys walking regardless of whether you are here next year or not. Either get it together or get out!!"

Thats it and that's all wrapped in a bow...

4 minutes ago, Corndog said:

No way Pagano gets his entire guaranteed contract if he resigns.  I have seen coaches walk away with a year or two of their salary and it has to be mutual. 

True, but it's doubtful that what's remaining on his contract is all guaranteed. I don't know the details so hard to say, but I thought I heard Venturi mention it's almost never the full length of the contract, 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I believe this story to be true....

Shefter works for ESPN.     Gruden works for ESPN.      Gruden, while denying that he talked with Irsay and says he doesn't know anything and he's a broadcaster and not a coach,   is not going to let Shefter get the story wrong.

I did like this tweet from Shefter regarding Irsay...      Hopefully this some level of assurance to those who think Irsay is not paying attention to his team.

Jim Irsay’s run at Jon Gruden is another sign of state of his thinking. Irsay determined to do anything in his power to return Colts to SB.

Exactly, if Schefter didn't have hard facts confirming this, he would be in big trouble for reporting this, considering Gruden is a fellow employee at ESPN.  Also couple that with national sports media now covering the story, when they weren't really talking about it before Schefter's confirmation.  

16 minutes ago, coltsva said:

"Do we have a deal?"

I agree he should resign, but the salary is a matter of his contract language.  I'm guessing there's some protection for both sides, unless Irsay completely gave in.  We know nothing about that, we don't even know how much he's getting paid.

Just now, chrisfarley said:

I agree he should resign, but the salary is a matter of his contract language.  I'm guessing there's some protection for both sides, unless Irsay completely gave in.  We know nothing about that, we don't even know how much he's getting paid.

4.5 million a season

Just now, jvan1973 said:

4.5 million a season

now that you mention it, there was a release of all the coaches and their salaries (thanks), he's in the middle as I recall.  That makes this separation much more unlikely, I would think (unless he thinks he can do better and get a big name still)

17 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Irsay has never exactly had a good standing with the National press. Just look at how much Mortensen hates him, they even had that petty back and forth the year they released Peyton.

I don't think he cares much. You are right though, at least to me, it doesn't matter how much they deny it.

You can definitely tell by the way the media reports this, they don't care much for Irsay.  Just heard a show on Fox Sports radio where they completely crapped all over Irsay for this.  I'm not sure what the show was, but they definitely took it too far and I think the theme for this will be "the Colts are a complete disaster" even though it isn't close to being that bad.  I mean we still aren't the Cleveland Browns or anything close to it. 

2 minutes ago, coltsva said:

How long before we hear "the Colts and Chuck Pagano have mutually agreed to part ways."

Hopefully today.

Just now, Stephen said:

There was one rumor by brad wells that said Gruden wanted 10 million a year but  who knows how reliable that is.

Brad Wells is NOT reliable. Never has been, never will be. He even admitted a few months ago he has no sources in Indy anymore. He now lives in Canada. He just piggy backed off of other local media people and rumors and ran with it.