Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jon Gruden turns down Colts job despite interest from Irsay

CF4L

Just now, jshipp23 said:

I said slowly...Luckily we have Luck to save us...We need Pagano gone and to reboot at this point..Plenty of upgrades out there. ..Hell Id take Les Miles if we have a good OC..

You are correct in saying Les Miles if he had a good OC. His offenses at LSU left a lot to be desired

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

I said slowly...Luckily we have Luck to save us...We need Pagano gone and to reboot at this point..Plenty of upgrades out there. ..Hell Id take Les Miles if we have a good OC..

At this point I'd also be done with a no name our retread coach. How much worse could it get? No playoffs?? We're already doing that...

1 minute ago, IinD said:

At this point I'd also be done with a no name our retread coach. How much worse could it get? No playoffs?? We're already doing that...

Id take Mike Shanahan too..At least he is an x's and o's coach unlike Pagano..Luck would be his only good qb since Elway and they are clones so Shanahan knows how to win with that type of QB..

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

Yeah..I wouldn't want him touching the offense, but I think he would be a good head coach...

His team played hard for him and Les held his players accountable. That's the biggest thing I want to see is accountability. I don't think the players are held accountable. We've even seen where players have said that they feel like they're not getting coached hard enough

18 minutes ago, BOTT said:

He would have a better chance of bringing back Bo Schembechler than Harbaugh.

I do agree with you BOTT that it is highly unlikely.  But in my opinion pitching to Gruden was more of a long shot because that man was already on record saying he loves his job at ESPN plus he has been out of the coaching game for years.  He already commands a top level NFL coaching salary without any of the headaches and stress that go along with it.  At least with Harbaugh, you know he is actively coaching football and still has a passion for it.  You just have to make him an offer that is better than what he has in Ann Arbor which I'd agree would be next to impossible.  But when has that stopped Jimmy...heck he pitched to Gruden?  Worth a plane trip to kick the tires at least.   lol

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I do agree with you BOTT that it is highly unlikely.  But in my opinion pitching to Gruden was more of a long shot because that man was already on record saying he loves his job at ESPN plus he has been out of the coaching game for years.  He already commands a top level NFL coaching salary without any of the headaches and stress that go along with it.  At least with Harbaugh, you know he is actively coaching football and still has a passion for it.  You just have to make him an offer that is better than what he has in Ann Arbor which I'd agree would be next to impossible.  But when has that stopped Jimmy...heck he pitched to Gruden?  Worth a plane trip to kick the tires at least.   lol

I don't,think gruden was that long of a shot.  Venturi said he is still a coach at heart and had gotten into negotiations with other teams in the past....they just broke down for one reason or another.

I don't see Harbaugh leaving his alma mater after two seasons.  If Irsay wanted Harbaugh he should have fired Chuck when he knew Harbaugh was going to be available.  Too late now.

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I don't,think gruden was that long of a shot.  Venturi said he is still a coach at heart and had gotten into negotiations with other teams in the past....they just broke down for one reason or another.

I don't see Harbaugh leaving his alma mater after two seasons.  If Irsay wanted Harbaugh he should have fired Chuck when he knew Harbaugh was going to be available.  Too late now.

Yeah that was a big mistake..We would probably be playing this weekend. .

5 hours ago, Corndog said:

You can definitely tell by the way the media reports this, they don't care much for Irsay.  Just heard a show on Fox Sports radio where they completely crapped all over Irsay for this.  I'm not sure what the show was, but they definitely took it too far and I think the theme for this will be "the Colts are a complete disaster" even though it isn't close to being that bad.  I mean we still aren't the Cleveland Browns or anything close to it. 

Fox Sports Radio.

That should've stopped you right there.   

Fox Sports Radio specializes in bringing heat,  but not light.        "The Colts are a complete disaster" is a spectacularly stupid comment,  but that's what you can expect to hear from them.

Don't worry about the media not liking Irsay......     they'll like us plenty if we can straighten out our problems and start being more competitive.

2 hours ago, corgi said:

Chuck isn't resigning. Only way he's leaving is with a pink slip.

Not saying it would happen because it's a long shot but there are a lot of rumors that other organizations would love to have Chuck coaching for them. Doug Marrone quit the Bills and a couple years later he is back coaching. I'm not sure if Jim Harbaugh quit or got fired but he left for another job basically. Bill Belicheck did too... so it isn't unheard of...but highly unlikely especially since there really isn't any openings not just HC but DC positions. Not sure Chuck feels that way since I do thing the players love him so much. The owner may not be loyal to him but the players clearly are. One thing he can do is get them to play...they never give up...he has that speech down...it's just the game planning and changes on the fly that I may question. I think Chuck will have no problem with the players...they have his back and this may even be a rallying cry for them. Us against the owner mentality.

I honestly don't get all this....bunch of speculation and no facts. Now that this is put to rest I'm sure we will move on to another coach...Harbaugh probably...Mcdaniels or shannahan will be popular I'm sure. I'm waiting on the what pick we will trade for Sean Payton thread next. When it comes down to it I'm taking Irsay at his word we aren't making any changes...but somebody is going to keep this alive forever. One thing is for sure...Gruden shouldn't be brought up ever again...if it wasn't now it will never be.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not saying it would happen because it's a long shot but there are a lot of rumors that other organizations would love to have Chuck coaching for them. Doug Marrone quit the Bills and a couple years later he is back coaching. I'm not sure if Jim Harbaugh quit or got fired but he left for another job basically. Bill Belicheck did too... so it isn't unheard of...but highly unlikely especially since there really isn't any openings not just HC but DC positions. Not sure Chuck feels that way since I do thing the players love him so much. The owner may not be loyal to him but the players clearly are. One thing he can do is get them to play...they never give up...he has that speech down...it's just the game planning and changes on the fly that I may question. I think Chuck will have no problem with the players...they have his back and this may even be a rallying cry for them. Us against the owner mentality.

I honestly don't get all this....bunch of speculation and no facts. Now that this is put to rest I'm sure we will move on to another coach...Harbaugh probably...Mcdaniels or shannahan will be popular I'm sure. I'm waiting on the what pick we will trade for Sean Payton thread next. When it comes down to it I'm taking Irsay at his word we aren't making any changes...but somebody is going to keep this alive forever. One thing is for sure...Gruden shouldn't be brought up ever again...if it wasn't now it will never be.

Chuck also said this is his last job before he retires so if he still feels that way he wont be quitting to go to another team. 

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

What rumors?

16 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

5 years....hasnt had a losing season....team plays hard for him..no matter what

8-8 may not be a losing season but when you miss the playoffs in back to back years...it sure ain't good.  Definitely not good enough for Colts fans...not with the talent we have at the QB position.

Funny...I remember many games under Pagano where the Colts didn't look prepared to play.  Heck...even a few players outright said that they need to be coached harder.  We must be watching different teams.

Chuck is a good speech giver and rah rah man in the locker room. He is an inspiring man in more ways than one.  I'll give him that. But it's time to move on.

1 minute ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Chuck also said this is his last job before he retires so if he still feels that way he wont be quitting to go to another team. 

Another Chuckism...he has one for ever situation...that's about a generic answer you will ever hear...what coach ever says after this job I'm going to keep on coaching. He probably saw this as a job he would have for 8-10 years.

37 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

He has to find a new coach now. Pagano will be upset and feels unwanted and that will be a problem. 

Who is coming here now?

Also, the players know Pagano is on thin ice and the owner actively tried to get rid of him. Your right , it could be a disaster if he comes back. 

Just now, dgambill said:

Another Chuckism...he has one for ever situation...that's about a generic answer you will ever hear...what coach ever says after this job I'm going to keep on coaching. He probably saw this as a job he would have for 8-10 years.

Agreed that he probably saw this as more long term. Hence why I said "if he still feels that way" 

11 minutes ago, BOTT said:

What rumors?

Sorry I don't know what to call it. It was reported that unnamed GM said he would be in demand. Clearly he is a players coach....I just think he needs better players and some better staff to help him with the game planning such as how to attack teams weaknesses and exploit our mismatches. I think*** most people in the NFL community see the issues in Indy as a talent problem and less a Pagano problem. That's just my opinion with no sources by the way.

Defining moment in the current state of this franchise - Chuck declines 5th year option.  If he accepts, none of this is happening.  Chuck isn't extended.  Grigson isn't extended (I hope, but I have no idea what is going on in the Irsay family when it comes to Grigson).

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Sorry I don't know what to call it. It was reported that unnamed GM said he would be in demand. Clearly he is a players coach....I just think he needs better players and some better staff to help him with the game planning such as how to attack teams weaknesses and exploit our mismatches. I think*** most people in the NFL community see the issues in Indy as a talent problem and less a Pagano problem. That's just my opinion with no sources by the way.

I agree that Grigson is the bigger problem, but that doesn't make Chuck a good coach.  He's had two chances now to get his staff right.

5 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Gruden's using Schefter to get this message out, it's a total leverage move to get Irsay to up the offer. I don't believe that this deal is as dead as they're making it sound.

Gruden's reported statement that he's a broadcaster, not a coach .... total nonsense.

16 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I agree that Grigson is the bigger problem, but that doesn't make Chuck a good coach.  He's had two chances now to get his staff right.

I think philbin has improved the OL over the course of the season (I give him some slack with 3 rookies to start the year) but Chud and to a lesser extent our D.C. I'm less then thrilled by. It would be nice to have given Luck a nice young up and coming OC like shanonhan or Gase or Cooter. I think with a good offseason this team can have some better pieces that will give these coaches some better talent to do more with the planning. That said if they don't carve out a role for Dorsett or they don't develop some young talent on defense then I think it's safe to say changes will be made and there won't be waiting to see if we land our guy...we will fire first and find a replacement.

25 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

@CASE_ND they did put out feelers to GM's Gruden wanted. Irsay had a change of heart and kept his friend. Sorry, that's the truth

Yesterday Irsay and Grigson had a long meeting. As most of you know, the two are close. Irsay ended up staying loyal to Grigson.

Hopefully not true.