Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jon Gruden turns down Colts job despite interest from Irsay

CF4L

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irsay can still can these clowns and go after Kyle Shannahan. I'm not a Pagano hater, I generally like him, but he is not a good head coach and his staff stinks. All this talk of less talent might be true but if you and your staff are good coaches you coach these guys up and clearly, especially since some players came out stating they needed to be coached harder, Pags and the staff are not capable of doing that

34 minutes ago, UKCOLT17 said:

i don't care what happens there the ones who look like a joke and don't know which direction they are heading.

Just to clarify, somehow my phone autocorrected "irsay" into "your day." Was not at all saying i hope your day goes bad, lol. Sorry i didnt catch sooner.

6 minutes ago, coltsva said:

How long before we hear "the Colts and Chuck Pagano have mutually agreed to part ways."

It's more likely that Irsay is meeting with Pagano right now apologizing and about to have the 2nd annual warm and fuzzy press conference with all the local fish-hacks and Grigson smirking in the background.

1 hour ago, Corndog said:

Now can the people who said Irsay wasn't doing anything admit they were wrong?

no becasue this is not exactly proof

last week "sources" said they were staying, this week "sources" said irsay went after gruden

believe what you want

1 minute ago, chrisfarley said:

It's more likely that Irsay is meeting with Pagano right now apologizing and about to have the 2nd annual warm and fuzzy press conference with all the local fish-hacks and Grigson smirking in the background.

yea grigson and pagano will be in church testifying they tried to get rid of me but I'm still here lol

Just now, aaron11 said:

no becasue this is not exactly proof

last week "sources" said they were staying, this week "sources" said irsay went after gruden

believe what you want

I have already said it five times in this thread, but I suppose I can say it one more time.  I can't see Schefter jeopardizing his job for this and if he wasn't a reliable source national media outlets wouldn't be confirming the story just based on Schefter.  As I said before, he would be in big trouble at ESPN with the HR department, considering him and Gruden are employees there.  

7 minutes ago, Corndog said:

You can definitely tell by the way the media reports this, they don't care much for Irsay.  Just heard a show on Fox Sports radio where they completely crapped all over Irsay for this.  I'm not sure what the show was, but they definitely took it too far and I think the theme for this will be "the Colts are a complete disaster" even though it isn't close to being that bad.  I mean we still aren't the Cleveland Browns or anything close to it. 

If Irsay gets out in front of this (currently he is way behind it), and has a plan.... it will shut the media up quick...but if he is hanging on the edge this will be what you will hear for two days straight.  Maybe he will deny it to Pagano and they will be singing

Just now, Corndog said:

I can't see Schefter jeopardizing his job for this

thats not proof though. 

what about the local news reporting on monday that pagano was staying?  somebody was wrong here, maybe it was in fact schefter

Just now, aaron11 said:

thats not proof though. 

what about the local news reporting on monday that pagano was staying?  somebody was wrong here, maybe it was in fact schefter

The report was based on a quote from Pagano himself saying he felt he was safe.  

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

no it wasnt

What was it based on?  The front office has said nothing about Pagano.  There has been no press release, no official statement, no tweet/message/anything from Irsay or another member of the front office.  

Like I said, if Schefter is falsely reporting this and especially confirming this as fact, he would be in big trouble.  He doesn't make millions of dollars, he would be jeopardizing a job as ESPN's top NFL insider reporter, a job many many people would leap at the chance to take.  

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

thats not proof though. 

Some local media have been reporting the gruden interest for a while.  The other stuff was mostly just retweeting Alex marvez.

3 minutes ago, Corndog said:

What was it based on?  The front office has said nothing about Pagano.  There has been no press release, no official statement, no tweet/message/anything from Irsay or another member of the front office.  

Like I said, if Schefter is falsely reporting this and especially confirming this as fact, he would be in big trouble.  He doesn't make millions of dollars, he would be jeopardizing a job as ESPN's top NFL insider reporter, a job many many people would leap at the chance to take.  

Why is it so many think there has to be a press release to retain Pagano ? Because some fans are crying ? Where else do they have one saying we are retaining the coach ? Just saying

8 minutes ago, Corndog said:

The report was based on a quote from Pagano himself saying he felt he was safe.  

after mulling this over i am ok with admitting i could have been wrong

that can happen when the media gives conflicting reports though.  i didnt want gruden so i dont want to believe rumors without more proof

on the other hand we have people wanting to believe any possible rumor that pagano is getting fired

5 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Some local media have been reporting the gruden interest for a while.  The other stuff was mostly just retweeting Alex marvez.

Alex Marvez is the only one that reported Pagano being safe and that was on January 6.  Most of this Gruden stuff transpired in the last few days.  

30 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

I agree he should resign, but the salary is a matter of his contract language.  I'm guessing there's some protection for both sides, unless Irsay completely gave in.  We know nothing about that, we don't even know how much he's getting paid.

Who resigns?

Seriously,   who in their right mind resigns?       The only people who resign are people who get a great offer to resign.      But if you resign on your own from a guaranteed contract,  then you're walking away from millions, and  no one does that.

Come on now.

Protection from both sides?       Irsay completely gave in?

Guaranteed contract language is standard around the league.      There might be some language for a morals violation....    if he raped someone....    or killed someone due to drunk driving....     but otherwise,  if he's the coach,  then his contract is guaranteed. 

0-16 is one thing.     8-8 two years in a row.     Pagano has nothing to resign over.

Just now, aaron11 said:

after mulling this over i am ok with admitting i could have been wrong

that can happen when the media gives conflicting reports though.  i didnt want gruden so i dont want to believe rumors without more proof

on the other hand we have people wanting to believe any possible rumor that pagano is getting fired

Well the good thing is, schefter's report while confirming interest in Gruden, also confirm he isn't coming here.  But that makes things a little messy with Pagano, knowing his boss was looking for his replacement.  At this point, you can't really tell if Irsay is going to stay with Pagano and just pretend like this never happened or just decide to bring a new coach in anyways.  

Alex Marvez is the only one that reported Pagano being safe and that was on January 6.  Most of this Gruden stuff transpired in the last few days.  

4 minutes ago, Corndog said:

Some: JMV

Awhile: a good week 

lol

Well the good thing is, schefter's report while confirming interest in Gruden, also confirm he isn't coming here.  But that makes things a little messy with Pagano, knowing his boss was looking for his replacement.  At this point, you can't really tell if Irsay is going to stay with Pagano and just pretend like this never happened or just decide to bring a new coach in anyways.  

im not backing pagano, im ready move on like everyone else

i do think he could get over this and show up to do his job next year though. 

who knows though, maybe irsay is not done yet

Just now, Bluefire4 said:

Irsay probably only wants to make changes if they are guaranteed improvements. Chuck is not the worst coach in the world, but he must believe Gruden would take us to another level. I doubt changes are made now.

If Irsay wants a proven winner he may be waiting quite awhile.  Luck turns 33 as Jimbo waits for Harbaugh.

3 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

Irsay probably only wants to make changes if they are guaranteed improvements. Chuck is not the worst coach in the world, but he must believe Gruden would take us to another level. I doubt changes are made now.

It's just unfortunate that we'll have to roll with "not the worst coach in the world" while Irsay waits for the better candidate. Which let's be real, there's really no such thing as a guaranteed improvement. Especially since there's no way we're getting Harbaugh.

Then again, I think there were and are still very intriguing candidates. Especially if you compare them to Pagano when he was a candidate.