Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jon Gruden turns down Colts job despite interest from Irsay

CF4L

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, VocableLoki said:

The way this reads, Irsay wanted a splashy big name and was looking for someone he perceived to be an upgrade over Pagano. Probably Gruden and then your usual college rumors would be the guys on his list. It may be that he wasn't sold that Pagano needs to go but was exploring options. You don't want to fire a guy whose worst crime is having two underwhelming seasons and then be stuck not being able to hire someone you think is better.

So basically, Irsay considers Gruden to be upgrade over Pagano but the rest of the available pool of coaches isn't better than what we currently have in his mind. That's what not firing Pagano says to me.

Getting gruden was a long shot anyway. It does speak volumes that he wasn't interested(he did say a few yrs ago if the right situation came up he would consider coaching again ),goes to show even with luck at qb It's not easy to draw a good coaching candidate.  I believe contrary to what many think, the Colts jobs are not that desireable cuz of all the caos for lack of a better term (didn't help any the way this offseason has been handled so far) and a roster that is very weak and in shambles. Another crap season in 2017 and likely a last place in the division  (Coughlin is what Jacksonville needed) is my prediction. 

Just now, snkdy said:

So basically, Irsay considers Gruden to be upgrade over Pagano but the rest of the available pool of coaches isn't better than what we currently have in his mind. That's what not firing Pagano says to me.

It's possible he doesn't view any of the other available coaches that way, or he just wants an older, more established coach. Most of the new hires and the two biggest candidates left are you and inexperienced. It's the only reason I can think that he would explore different coaching options without cutting ties. Pagano hasn't done anything to obviously be fired so it may be difficult in his mind to chase a younger coach.

2 hours ago, Indeee said:

Look... all of this talk as an uncomfortable situation is hogwash...

Irsay needs and probably will sit these 2 knuckleheads down, especially Pagano and say " look I agreed to both extensions but not being able to beat a HORRIBLE AFC south to make the playoffs with the top QB in the division is unacceptable... NO EXCUSES and youre damn right I'm gonna replace you if I can because clearly you are in over your head, so consider yourself as dead guys walking regardless of whether you are here next year or not. Either get it together or get out!!"

Thats it and that's all wrapped in a bow...

This pretty much sums it up....now chuck know where he stands maybe it will put some sense into his head and actually do a good job coaching

1 minute ago, VocableLoki said:

It's possible he doesn't view any of the other available coaches that way, or he just wants an older, more established coach. Most of the new hires and the two biggest candidates left are you and inexperienced. It's the only reason I can think that he would explore different coaching options without cutting ties. Pagano hasn't done anything to obviously be fired so it may be difficult in his mind to chase a younger coach.

You know, you could be onto something. It doesn't seem like Jim's ever really gone after the young HC candidates.

I remember our list of HC candidates before we hired Chuck. Jim Tressell, Brad Childress, the youngest guy we were rumored to go after was probably Pete Carmichael and he was at least 40 or so.

17 minutes ago, colts_100nascar17fan said:

Getting gruden was a long shot anyway. It does speak volumes that he wasn't interested(he did say a few yrs ago if the right situation came up he would consider coaching again ),goes to show even with luck at qb It's not easy to draw a good coaching candidate.  I believe contrary to what many think, the Colts jobs are not that desireable cuz of all the caos for lack of a better term (didn't help any the way this offseason has been handled so far) and a roster that is very weak and in shambles. Another crap season in 2017 and likely a last place in the division  (Coughlin is what Jacksonville needed) is my prediction. 

Not  landing gruden, who has a very cushy job at espn, doesn't say anything.  According to Rick Venturi, who is a good friend, Gruden has turned down multiple offers in the past.

3 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

This is a very ugly situation.  I was never a fan of the Gruden choice but as time went by I liked the potential of him over Pagano because of his offensive knowledge. Now to hear that he turned us down...  What a joke. Irsay is slipping big time. You don't go after a primadonna like Gruden unless you "know" you're gonna land him because not surprisingly "it leaked to the media". 

Screw Gruden.  Irsay if you're listening, get your head out of your @ss and go get McDaniels or Shanahan. Two young offensive minds who can help elevate Luck's game.  If you had went straight after one of those two immediately, you probably could have gotten Wade Phillips to be our D.C. too...  

With a combination of those coaches, a good draft, and some good free agent signings, we'd have been SB contenders next year.  Now we're really starting to look like a franchise in decline or disarray. 

If we keep Pagano, I can easily see us hitting a rough patch next year and players giving up on our "lame duck" coach. So our slide and regression would continue while Houston and Tennessee continue to ascend...  Irsay needs to get this figured out ASAP...

Some interesting thoughts combined with some Mt. Rushmore Homer nonsense talking SB next year.

5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Some interesting thoughts combined with some Mt. Rushmore Homer nonsense talking SB next year.

Look at how many games we gave away through poor game planning and poor use of personnel...  Under a good coach who can formulate a good gameplan, this flawed team we had this year could have won 11-12 games. Which would have put us in a position to be a top 2 seed. Which means we'd be contenders. 

Now, if we were to draft a couple defensive playmakers and bring in a couple solid players in free agency, we couldn't win 11-12 games playing in the AFC South???  I think so and that would make us contenders. 

To to be honest, I am a Homer but not nonsensical. :hat:

Jay Glazer just said on Fox that Irsay is working hard to lure Manning back to be president of football operations. Said, the plan was to have him with Gruden as HC and despite Gruden "declining" Irsay's still after Manning. 

Could Gruden have turned us down because Manning did to or because Manning wasn't a certainty?

3 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Jay Glazer just said on Fox that Irsay is working hard to lure Manning back to be president of football operations. Said, the plan was to have him with Gruden as HC and despite Gruden "declining" Irsay's still after Manning. 

Could Gruden have turned us down because Manning did to or because Manning wasn't a certainty?

Could be? I would not want to be left having ryan as gm.

Not a good situation if this is true. (And I still have my doubts.)

If Irsay is that prepared to move on from pagano and potentially grigson why is he putting the cart before the horse?

With grigson I understand. If he really wants Peyton he's gonna wait that out.

But now that this news has got out, what are the repercussions of that with pagano? In all honesty pagano should just resign. Irsay clearly is looking to move him, why should he continue to put his time and effort into somewhere that he isn't wanted? At the very least he should just phone it in from here.

I get that Irsay wants to make sure he has something better lined up before he makes a move, but now that pagano knows that's what he was doing why should he want to just accept that?

Though I will say that pagano is the kind of guy to look at this situation and go "I'll just go out and show him why he was wrong."

Still a pretty cruddy situation to put him in.

13 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Now tweets about Manning via jay glazer and bob kravitz. If manning turns down jimmy, we all need to accept stuck with chuck and ryan.

It's a bad look to keep two guys in limbo like that. If he doesn't think Chuck and Ryan are it he needs to look elsewhere for guys he can realistically get.