Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay not anticipating any changes at HC or GM....

NewColtsFan

I do love Irsays  optimism and ability to focus trying to make the playoffs this year and not writing off this season even if the odds are next to zero. It shows you have an owner that's got a lot of fight and wont quit till the last game is played.

Both Pagano and Grigson signed a 4 season deal and that's how long I expect them to be around

There will be a few big changes to the roster this offseason

Mike Adams-Gone. But his production for us in the past should not go unrecognized. Good signing but it seems age or injuries is catching up to him

Trent Cole-Gone. Was able to get pressures fairly consistently but just never was able to turn them into sacks

Robert Mathis-A great Colt who should be in the HoF one day and certainly in the RoH but I think he is done as a Colt

If your a Colt FA and under 30 then I think several of them will be re-signed. I also expect Butler to be re-signed who is 30

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

6-10 I think we fire them. 7-9 it's anyone's guess. I think it's going to come down to if we're so bad that we lose to the Jags in week 17. If we do, Irsay may finally throw in the towel on these two bums.

I think Irsay should know by now these two at the helm aren't getting it done and these last 3 games doesn't change anything. Irsay has to think to himself, are these two really who I want going forward in Luck's prime seasons ahead? 

I'm actually very optimistic after reading that!

This quote is very interesting: 

“But right now, I’m not anticipating making any changes. That can always change. It always can, when we’re sitting down at the end of year and evaluate things. But I’m just looking at seeing if we can win these next three games and get some luck from the football gods right now.”

If Colts loose the last 3 games, Pagano is definitely very close to getting fired, no questions about it. I read it as Pagano has 3 more games to convince Irsay to keep him. In other words, Pagano has to win the job to keep it. That is quite an amount of pressure to put on Pagano when Irsay could just have said that he has the utmost confidence in Chuck. He clearly hasn't.

If Irsay can find a high caliber HC that he envisions can stay with Luck for a number off years, Pagano is gone.

1 minute ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Gruden is still out there for hire....just saying don't wait too late he might take that rams coaching job

Then let him I think. I like his intensity and I think he would be an upgrade over Pagano but I don't necessarily think he is a good HC

I think there is a chance of a firing.  Maybe slim but a chance. 

After the first Houston game,  he made it clear they were not going anywhere.  No uncertain terms.  

He didn't do that this time.  He left the door open.  If he really wasn't considering it,  he would have just completely disregards it as before.  He's for sure leaving the possibly open.  

1 hour ago, theanarchist said:

You really cant do much worse with Andrew Luck as your QB. Because even with the worst roster in the league, or bottom 5, he's still going to win you 6-7 games. Grigson, in my opinion and many others feel the same way, is 80% of the issue. This guy has blown more money, failed on more draft picks and free agents and just in general drug the overall quality of the roster into the gutter.

You go into a draft, a season, knowing that you have very little talent to rush the passer and yet you don't spend one single draft pick or free agent signing on a pass rusher? Everyone who is a Colts fan loves Robert Mathis, He's all time great Colt but everyone also knew that his career is essentially over. You have another guy in Trent Cole who is also done. Yet, you decide that your going to enter the season with these players as your best pass rushing options. I don't blame the coaching staff on the defense. The defenses lack of talent falls squarely on the job that Grigson has done or failed to do. I could go on and on about the lack of talent on the defensive side.

I think you are assigning way too much blame upon Grigson here and not enough on Pagano. Even if you hate Grigson, the talent that has been added to the defense is looking promising. 

Davis

Anderson

Ridgeway

E. Jackson

Walden

Green

Geathers

add in a few of the others like Parry, Melvin and McGill, and it's not devoid of total talent. Injuries have messed up a few of the defensive guys impact but with another solid draft on defense next year and hopefully a second season in the D.C. learning curve and system, the defense will become more of a strength. 

On offense, we have 

Luck

Hilton

Moncreif

Doyle

Gore

Mewhort

Kelly

Haeg

Costanzo 

Allen (somedays for some plays)

thats not a bad bad mix of offensive guys in here as well. This team has its share of talent and it has others who need to be raised up in their game as well as some who need better replacements but it's not like the team has nothing to work with. Imho, it's Pagano who isn't getting what he needs from the group of players instead of an individual here and there. That's coaching and putting people in places to succeed. If you can answer that BB could take this same team and win 12 games in a season, then you need to look at your coaching. As much as I despise the pats, BB puts players in spots to succeed more often than not and they have less talent than many of our guys. 

6 hours ago, csmopar said:

Anyone remember Jims comments during the last weeks of the Mora era? They were very similar to what he said in that interview just now. 

i think the problem is all the cash that's on the table.  If he eats those contracts, he's just given them early retirement money. (Looks bad on him). They could just sit around for a while and cherry-pick the jobs they want.  If we go out with a bang 3-0, he'll have the ammo he needs to retain and save face. Even 2-1 (which is more likely), he comes out with just surface wounds.

32 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

i think the problem is all the cash that's on the table.  If he eats those contracts, he's just given them early retirement money. (Looks bad on him). They could just sit around for a while and cherry-pick the jobs they want.  If we go out with a bang 3-0, he'll have the ammo he needs to retain and save face. Even 2-1 (which is more likely), he comes out with just surface wounds.

No. Those money doesn't mean jack s**t, if he doesn't trust them to be the right people to do the job. You cut your losses and move on. That is what every smart businessman do if he wants to stay profitable.

I would actually go as far as suggesting that Irsay could make a case of matching or exceeding the money Jim Harbaugh gets in Michigan. What is 9-10 million (that doesn't count against the cap!), if said HC can make the players perform 10% better? 10% of 150 million is 15 million worth. 

Yes, I know it is kind of stupid to put it that way, but HC salary should be the least of Irsay's concerns right now.

I really believe he thinks they could be 10-3 with a few breaks the other way.  I think he should be very happy with this years draft class which should give him reason for optimisim since they could be drafting again around the same spot.  And he does believe in continuity.  It probably comes down to the last three games.  If they finish strong with one or two more wins and the team plays hard I think they will stay.  If they are not playing hard and they lose out then he probably makes a change.  For the most part he will look at the same candidates he looked at when he picked Pagano.  Just a few that are different and unproven. It's a retread league in the coaching ranks so if he picks another coordinator it's pot luck all over again.  Pagano has not had a losing season yet although this could be his first.  We will see but I think Jim knows what he is doing.  Not a popular sentiment but it's mine none the less. 

3 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Gruden is still out there for hire....just saying don't wait too late he might take that rams coaching job

Out of all the big name coaches Gruden is the one who i'd like to see replace Pagano as I think he might be the only one the Colts can get.

Some reports are he would be interested and wants to coach again. However, he isn't one of the coaches that the Colts (are rumored to) inquired about directly/indirectly after last season. I'm not sure Irsay has any interest in him.

I think he would be the perfect head coach for Luck though. With the current roster the best chance this team has to win and win a lot is to maximize Luck and the ability of this offense.

i think we win at least one more game and do just enough to keep grigs and pagano around.   id probably try to move on from both if it were me but im not going to get my hopes up

i would pass on gruden though, hes been out of the game since 2006.  theres a rumor the rams are going to go after him, but they may not have enough to interest him

30 minutes ago, ar7 said:

Out of all the big name coaches Gruden is the one who i'd like to see replace Pagano as I think he might be the only one the Colts can get.

Some reports are he would be interested and wants to coach again. However, he isn't one of the coaches that the Colts (are rumored to) inquired about directly/indirectly after last season. I'm not sure Irsay has any interest in him.

I think he would be the perfect head coach for Luck though. With the current roster the best chance this team has to win and win a lot is to maximize Luck and the ability of this offense.

Gruden is similar to Pagano in my mind, took over what was an already built Tampa team and won with it, afterwards, it fell apart, im not impressed enough to call for Gruden.  Really, the best option would be Jim Harbaugh. 

2 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I think you are assigning way too much blame upon Grigson here and not enough on Pagano. Even if you hate Grigson, the talent that has been added to the defense is looking promising. 

Davis

Anderson

Ridgeway

E. Jackson

Walden

Green

Geathers

add in a few of the others like Parry, Melvin and McGill, and it's not devoid of total talent. Injuries have messed up a few of the defensive guys impact but with another solid draft on defense next year and hopefully a second season in the D.C. learning curve and system, the defense will become more of a strength. 

On offense, we have 

Luck

Hilton

Moncreif

Doyle

Gore

Mewhort

Kelly

Haeg

Costanzo 

Allen (somedays for some plays)

thats not a bad bad mix of offensive guys in here as well. This team has its share of talent and it has others who need to be raised up in their game as well as some who need better replacements but it's not like the team has nothing to work with. Imho, it's Pagano who isn't getting what he needs from the group of players instead of an individual here and there. That's coaching and putting people in places to succeed. If you can answer that BB could take this same team and win 12 games in a season, then you need to look at your coaching. As much as I despise the pats, BB puts players in spots to succeed more often than not and they have less talent than many of our guys. 

There are some core players but for the most part the players that you listed, guys like:

Gaethers, Anderson, Ridgeway, Green and E Jackson are all guys who have shows some flashes but arent quite there yet. Gaethers and Anderson look real promising if Anderson can return to form of last year. The other three are really guys that we have no idea what  they are really gonna be.

We have many more core players on offense but unfortunately that right side of that offensive line is still a huge question mark and there is no youth at the RB postition.

The failed first round picks(including the Richardson trade)have really killed this team. Not to mention all of the free agent busts: Donald Thomas, Laron Landry, Todd Herremans, Toler, Cherilus, Andre Johnson, DHB, Art Jones, Hakeem Nicks, Ricky Jean-Francios, Josh Cribbs, Nate Irving, Sio Moore the list is extensive. These dont include the draft flops. All these failures not only cost a huge amount of money but it weakened the roster. It's time to move on

18 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

There are some core players but for the most part the players that you listed, guys like:

Gaethers, Anderson, Ridgeway, Green and E Jackson are all guys who have shows some flashes but arent quite there yet. Gaethers and Anderson look real promising if Anderson can return to form of last year. The other three are really guys that we have no idea what  they are really gonna be.

We have many more core players on offense but unfortunately that right side of that offensive line is still a huge question mark and there is no youth at the RB postition.

The failed first round picks(including the Richardson trade)have really killed this team. Not to mention all of the free agent busts: Donald Thomas, Laron Landry, Todd Herremans, Toler, Cherilus, Andre Johnson, DHB, Art Jones, Hakeem Nicks, Ricky Jean-Francios, Josh Cribbs, Nate Irving, Sio Moore the list is extensive. These dont include the draft flops. All these failures not only cost a huge amount of money but it weakened the roster. It's time to move on

Really only the Cherilous and Landry contracts were stupid as was giving that draft pick for a running back. 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Gruden is similar to Pagano in my mind, took over what was an already built Tampa team and won with it, afterwards, it fell apart, im not impressed enough to call for Gruden.  Really, the best option would be Jim Harbaugh. 

Not true gruden had that raider team with a good record all 4 years he was there .500 and above he had 3 bad seasons with the bucs jim harbaugh is not leaving Michigan now he made that clear twice we have a better chance at getting his brother

11 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I certainly hope Irsay is bluffing to keep everything low-key. You have to get rid of these guys at the end of the season. There's literally no rhyme or reason to when or why we do good or bad. We can dominate a bad team like the Jets 41-10, then the next week in a playoff type atmosphere against a division rival, not even show up for over half the game. I don't even think it's the talent anymore. Fire the coach, the coordinators, and the GM and start anew. We need some discipline and passion in this darn team. No one cares, no one is trying besides TY Hilton it seems. It's time for new blood and someone with a plan to take us to the promised land. 5 years and not one win over the Pats or Steelers. Simply unacceptable.

It's called inconsistency and underachievement. It's part talent, part coaching. Or, in other words, part Grigson, part Pagano.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

To me, 'we could be 10-3' is kind of a subliminal shot at coaching. Might just be my interpretation, but that's kind of how I read it.

I think it was a direct shot at everybody involved. None more so than players. He is frustrated. Players are frustrated. Coaches are frustrated. Fans are frustrated. Personally I don't think the team is that far from being competitive again in the AFC provided we hit in the draft.

A young athletic pass rusher

A young athletic cover ILB

probably another Corner

Then I think we are right back in the hunt. I think at least 2 are doable in the draft. Not that I think you have to draft that way of course but if the right player is their then take him

28 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I think it was a direct shot at everybody involved. None more so than players. He is frustrated. Players are frustrated. Coaches are frustrated. Fans are frustrated. Personally I don't think the team is that far from being competitive again in the AFC provided we hit in the draft.

A young athletic pass rusher

A young athletic cover ILB

probably another Corner

Then I think we are right back in the hunt. I think at least 2 are doable in the draft. Not that I think you have to draft that way of course but if the right player is their then take him

It's not that we're so many players away, it's that young players take time to develop, and it's hard to get three "playmakers" all in one draft. 

Agreed with your post, though.

13 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I honestly think restarting is required to keep continuity at this point. Pagano has lost the locker room. Very few are buying into what he is selling now. I think it's about over for him. There's a lot of factors that have to be taken into account for this decision. Especially what the players think. A new coach is always scary, but I think ours has peaked, and at his current level, that's not a good thing. Pagano is a lemon, and there's nothing to be squeezed out of him anymore. It'll depend on who we can get, yes, but there's a treasure trove of college coaches and coordinators that would love this job. That'll be up to Grigson or the new GM and Irsay, should it come down to that.

Well said Jared. This is exactly where I'm at too. Fire the GM; fire the HC & reboot. 

The only thing that makes me smile right now is this guy...

Look, I know missing the playoffs blows & I appreciate Grigs & Pags contributions, but they need to go at season's end. I understand Jimmy wanting to retain both men 1 more yr to see if they can bounce back record wise  & get a return on his investment & all, but this formula isn't moving INDY forward. 

I don't like it when OC's get too clever for their own good. That screen to Turbin on the last play really bothered me. If you wanna use TY as a decoy, I'm cool with that, but throw something to Doyle on the last play man. That dude is magical man & great stuff happens when he's near the darn ball. 

Ok quick question. If we do dismiss chuck and ryan who do we bring in? If they dont send our team to the superbowl are we just gonna say fire them too? Plus how many systems is Luck going to have to play in the kid is never going to get comfortable in a system with all these coaching changes i mean Chuck and Ryan havent done a great job but we arent the browns i say we get rid of ryan and keep chuck 1 more year we need a gm who will bring in talent PERIOD.

What's tough for me is I like what Joe Philbin is doing as the yr progresses giving Luck a better pocket & I don't wanna lose him as our OL coach, but after the fiasco in Miami under Joe's leadership, I don't want to promote him to HC either. 

Chuck isn't the answer, Grigson isn't protecting Luck or it took him way to long to prioritize it, & Joe needs to stay put in his current capacity. 

I want Chuck & Ryan gone like yesterday. INDY winning outside our division is rare & it needs to become commonplace. Our current regime is like a computer with upgrades that cannot go any further. It's time for a new model. 

6 hours ago, King Colt said:

Gruden will never live in Indiana. Either FL. or Cal. Why even discus this after reading Irsay will depend on the football gods? When all else fails pray.

He went to HS in Indiana(Clay HS in South Bend) was an ND ball boy so Indiana isn't unfamiliar to him.

That being said I don't see him wanting to give up a cushy MNF gig just to coach again after being gone so many years either.

For the person that asked when we will get rid of Jimbo hope for a Donald Sterling scandal.

18 minutes ago, CF4L said:

He went to HS in Indiana(Clay HS in South Bend) was an ND ball boy so Indiana isn't unfamiliar to him.

That being said I don't see him wanting to give up a cushy MNF gig just to coach again after being gone so many years either.

For the person that asked when we will get rid of Jimbo hope for a Donald Sterling scandal.

he said on the air that he was very interested in coaching the colts

i think its mostly becasue of luck and maybe not much else though.  he seems to really want to work with him

31 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

he said on the air that he was very interested in coaching the colts

i think its mostly becasue of luck and maybe not much else though.  he seems to really want to work with him

I find it hard to believe that he would say that on air.  I have never heard of a coach publicly trying to get a job or saying he would be interested in the job if it came open when a coach is still employed by that team.  I think that would be considered sacrilegious as far as the coaching ranks go.  I would hope he has a little more class than that.  Sounds like you had a case of selective hearing. Thinking you heard what you wanted to hear instead of what he really said.