Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should we consider cutting phillip dorsett

12isthenew18

12 hours ago, SteelDragon said:

The Dorsett pick is indefensible. I stated at the time, if Dorsett is not a barn-burner right out of the gate this was a wasted first round pick(the third in as many years for our supreme talent evaluator on 56th St).  Plus, we were loaded at WR.  Watch Dorsett be out of the NFL in the near future! Richardson, Werner, and Dorsett... textbook incompetence.

I'm telling you, Mr Irsay, you would have saved a great deal of money at the GM position if you had simply followed any NFL mock draft on the internet instead!

Just want to point something out.  We were not loaded at WR when Dorsett was drafted.  Reggie was done.  Nicks sucked and was a FA. TY was a pendng FA.  

The only two WRs on the roster were Moncrief, who was an untested rookie, and Griff Whalen (who was better than Nicks but didn't play ahead of him).

Moncrief and Whalen.

Can't figure out why this forum continues to say the Colts were stacked at WR at the time Dorsett was drafted.  No, they had two..that were barely average.

Then Dorsett was drafted, TY re-signs, Andre Johnson is signed at some point.  At training camp the Colts were stacked at WR,  but not at the time of the draft.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Just want to point something out.  We were not loaded at WR when Dorsett was drafted.  Reggie was done.  Nicks sucked and was a FA. TY was a pendng FA.  

The only two WRs on the roster were Moncrief, who was an untested rookie, and Griff Whalen (who was better than Nicks but didn't play ahead of him).

Moncrief and Whalen.

Can't figure out why this forum continues to say the Colts were stacked at WR at the time Dorsett was drafted.  No, they had two..that were barely average.

Then Dorsett was drafted, TY re-signs, Andre Johnson is signed at some point.  At training camp the Colts were stacked at WR,  but not at the time of the draft.

So draft one later on in the draft like a 3rd rounder 

40 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

So draft one later on in the draft like a 3rd rounder 

Moncrief, Whalen, AJ, and a late 3rd rounder would have been a real problem for the Colts to start the season.  Perhaps TY would've demanded even more money too.   And there is no guarantee there would have been a WR there worth picking late in the 3rd.

The logic of Dorsett was sound at the time of the draft, especially since he was rising up the charts into the first round.

Of course, TY signed, Moncrief took the next step, and AJ had to try to earn his $8 million and played when he shouldn't have, so a WR in the first seemed like a luxury pick by the start of the season.

On 11/25/2016 at 3:53 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He has 1 drop, on a team who's WRs currently have the 3rd most drops in the NFL.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/teams/338/indianapolis-colts/#Points per Game$SeasonMax=9999&SeasonMin=1990

But, I digress. I'm actually changing my stance on this since earlier this A.M. I think for Dorsett's own good, the Colts should cut him. Let him go to a team like Dallas, Seattle, or New England that would actually make him part of the offensive game plan and get the ball in his hands. This offense clearly has no use for him, so why waste his talent on the Colts?

And since Indy fans love to hate him so much because of where he got drafted, getting picked up on the cheap by a legit contender would absolutely be best for Dorsett. He wouldn't have to deal with a fanbase that only wants to focus on EVERY mistake that he makes, he could just play football.

Okay buddy.  We all get where you stand on this.  You're a homer moderator.  Nothing wrong with that.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Moncrief and Whalen.

Andre Johnson was signed in March, Dorsett was drafted end of April. No one expected AJ to suck, but at the same time, it was premature to expect him to be a starting caliber player, especially moving forward. 

I don't have a problem with drafting Dorsett, especially not due to his position, but it's pretty obvious it wasn't the best use of the pick. It's fair to have him rated higher than other players on the board, but if the Colts aren't going back and evaluating their scouting to see what they missed -- not with Dorsett, but with the players they passed on -- then they're doing themselves a disservice.

I think we're putting the cart before the horse here w/Dorsett.  I believe his mechanics need to be refine, and this requires a diligent and smart receivers coach....and this falls back to the head coach who can't delegate, select the right coaching staff for the players.....Also, we wouldn't be discussing this if Grigson was sent packing months ago...Need to get rid of him and have him take Pags w/him to another zip code.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 1:30 AM, IMissMarvin said:

Dorsett just isnt that good. He wasnt even good in college. In his 4 years at Miami he averaged 30 catches for 533 yards and 4 TDs. Hardly the type of productivity I would have forked over a first round pick on. Especially when the colts had/ have so many glaring needs in so many areas. Classic example of a guy whos stock went through the roof after he ran a blazing 40 time. Much like Stehpen Hill or Darius Heyward Bey, except those guys at least had size to match their speed. I cant express the dissapointment I had when we drafted him, and that dissapointment hasnt subsided in the slightest watching him play every week. Aside from the bomb touchdown he caught in London (which he was left wide open in a blown coverage) I can't recall him doing anything memorable at all in his time here. 

DHB had no hands... Dorsett has very good hands.  Dorsett has made several very good plays here... and at U of M, he was averaging ~18 yards per catch (he wasn't catching a ton of balls, but Miami wasn't exactly a passing powerhouse during his tenure there) and he was one of the most dangerous big-play WRs in all of college FB.  He still has that speed and (IMO) big play ability, but for that to be fully realized, we either need to use him differently or figure a way to give Luck 1 or 2 more seconds to throw the ball so he can get to Dorsett on his reads and give him time to get open >15 yards down the field.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 2:19 AM, IinD said:

Exactly. That's where a lot of the Grigs dislike comes from.

Banking Dorsett in the high/mid first means he's got to be in the plans as a level 1 starter. Not a contributor.

I'm not sure if its Chud honestly because he's never a hot route or quick screen guy by our own design it seems.

But I agree we should be trying everything to make the lines better before even some other more obvious problems.

Making the lines better would make Dorsett better... we don't seem to utilize him on screen passes much (where I think he could excel), but rather on deep routes where Luck doesn't have time to get it to him.. If Luck had more time, all our WRs would benefit from it.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 1:25 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He's the 3rd WR on the depth chart for a team that struggles to protect it's QB, how many catches do you expect him to be getting exactly?

^Exactly!!  Give Luck some time and the speed of our WRs should be one of the major strengths of this team... make Luck run for his life, and it doesn't really matter how far behind a defense our WRs can get.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 1:54 PM, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, I totally misread his stats.

Should prob ask the Mods to correct that -- not that I really care, but most people who read your 6 catches for 13 yards are going to be believing it and probably making false statements against Dorsett with that belief.

15 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

I think we're putting the cart before the horse here w/Dorsett.  I believe his mechanics need to be refine, and this requires a diligent and smart receivers coach....and this falls back to the head coach who can't delegate, select the right coaching staff for the players.....Also, we wouldn't be discussing this if Grigson was sent packing months ago...Need to get rid of him and have him take Pags w/him to another zip code.

Please explain, what's wrong with Dorsett's mechanics?

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 6:18 PM, #12. said:

"Should we consider cutting phillip dorsett"?

We should consider cutting the guy who drafted him.

Reggie Wayne took 3-4 years to really do anything in the NFL (another late first rounder from Miami).  I remember people being mixed about his pick when he was drafted, then people being irked about the pick after he put up similar (slightly better) numbers as Dorsett has... 15 years after the b****ing and moaning, and I don't think there is a Colts' fan in the world who is still upset about Wayne being drafted to Indy, HOF Reggie Wayne.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 9:13 PM, deedub75 said:

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Dorsett viewed as a luxury pick at the time?  Many people thought Dorsett was drafted to replace TY if contract talks stalled. 

I thought the pick was to give the Colts a power-house, unstoppable offense.... with Luck's arm and all the speed at WR.  Unfortunately, I think the FO (or the coaching staff, or both) thought our OL was going to be able to give us a run game to compliment the pass game and give Luck plenty of time to burn other D's with speed... this hasn't happened.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 9:48 PM, DougDew said:

On draft day, the only WR on the roster was an untested rookie Dontae Moncrief, and possibly Griff Whalen.  Reggie was old and going away, Nicks was worthless (and overrated by many on this forum), and I believe TY was a pending FA.  And draft day was a few weeks removed from getting blown out by NE in the playoffs, when the offense went 3 and out nearly every drive because TY can't beat double coverage and Reggie and Nicks couldn't beat single coverage, and rookie Moncrief could run about 5 routes.

Considering the roster on draft day, picking a WR in the first round was not a luxury.

Today, Ty is signed, Moncrief has promise and Dorsett is developing where Moncrief was. Neither is performing anywhere near what they should be.

Nobody on this team seems to be 'performing anywhere near what they should be'.... Dorsett isn't a bad player, but we need help in many other areas on this team to maximize his potential.

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 3:10 PM, AlanNC said:

No but he was never a first round pick.  Another blunder by you know who.  

Way too early to tell if he is a bust... he's shown promise, it's not like he's Bjoern Werner who just couldn't play in this league.  The Colts could get more creative about using him, and could really benefit if the QB was given time more often than not to let plays develop for Dorsett's speed to be utilized.

22 hours ago, Superman said:

Almost two seasons later, the correct answer seems to be Eric Kendricks. I think that would have been a reach pick, but if you have to pick someone who would have been a great fit on the Colts, I think he's the one.

Of course, you can do this with every pick. If your guy isn't a home run, you can probably go back and find a better player at some point later in the draft. That's the benefit of hindsight.

Also the downfall of hindsight. At the time Dorsett was drafted, there was at least some logic and reasoning behind it.. I don't see the pick as a major reason to point the 'Fire Grigson' finger for every one of this team's woes.

35 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

DHB had no hands... Dorsett has very good hands.  Dorsett has made several very good plays here... and at U of M, he was averaging ~18 yards per catch (he wasn't catching a ton of balls, but Miami wasn't exactly a passing powerhouse during his tenure there) and he was one of the most dangerous big-play WRs in all of college FB.  He still has that speed and (IMO) big play ability, but for that to be fully realized, we either need to use him differently or figure a way to give Luck 1 or 2 more seconds to throw the ball so he can get to Dorsett on his reads and give him time to get open >15 yards down the field.

Making the lines better would make Dorsett better... we don't seem to utilize him on screen passes much (where I think he could excel), but rather on deep routes where Luck doesn't have time to get it to him.. If Luck had more time, all our WRs would benefit from it.

^Exactly!!  Give Luck some time and the speed of our WRs should be one of the major strengths of this team... make Luck run for his life, and it doesn't really matter how far behind a defense our WRs can get.

Should prob ask the Mods to correct that -- not that I really care, but most people who read your 6 catches for 13 yards are going to be believing it and probably making false statements against Dorsett with that belief.

Yeah, thankfully it didn't get any likes so hopefully nobody takes it seriously.

The hate for Dorsett is insane. Especially coming from a fan base who had hall of fame 1st rd pick receiver Reggie Wayne all these years. So clearly most are young (only remember the "established" Reggie which came after his 1st 3 years) or dumb (can't/won't do some research and see that Reggie wasn't an immediate star). 

I will start by saying that I want Dorsett to succeed because if he does the Colts will be better for it. So I'm not ready to give up on him yet. He's caught up in a terrible scenario. First, he has offensive coordinators who are not utilizing him correctly. He's basically a decoy because most of the routes he's running rarely have a chance at succeeding because we don't have an O-line to give our QB the necessary time. Second, he didn't have the built in advantage that TY & Crief had to be able to learn from Reggie, who at that point in his career cared more about winning than numbers. I just don't think TY or Crief are teaching the younger receivers like Reggie taught them. And maybe that's not their job...  Third, I believe that Luck is becoming shell shocked because of all the hits he's taking. He knows he can rarely make it to his 3rd or 4th read, so why even bother?  Plus why bother if that route is strictly to open up areas for others?

I think our Dorsett "problem" can be fixed. 1st get him a coordinator in here who will utilize him properly. We've seen what happens in the playoffs when we're solely TY & Crief dependent...  We need a viable 3rd option. Why our coaching staff aren't giving him more 1st read routes is totally foolish and counterproductive. We've seen other no name receivers have better games and stats than him. Is it because they're better?  Maybe. Or maybe it's because their coaches use them and put them in positions to succeed.  So when the time comes when you need a play, you've built up trust and confidence between them and their QB. 

I truly believe that that if you send Dorsett to other teams, he'd shine. Sure he needs to improve in areas. Namely setting up his cuts and breaks better. Also using his hands to create separation. But that's coaching. So bring Reggie in to teach this kid. Even better beg Marvin to do it. Marvin was the best at setting up his cuts and breaks and varying his speed.  Also it's time for Luck to make it a priority to work with this kid (more than what is normally done like Peyton did with Marv, Reggie, Stoke etc.)

Part of me kind of wishes TY sat out a game so Dorsett can get all of the targets and Luck's attention that TY gets because in the long run we would be better off for it.  If he still fails with all of those targets, then fine, maybe the kid just doesn't have it. But making that statement now without factoring in all of the facts is premature.  So many times, Dorsett and our other receivers are man to man with the corner off 10 yards...  The slant is there for the taking but we rarely take it. Off of 1 of those you've got the slant & go set up. Marvin/Peyton used it to perfection. This staff and Luck not much at all...  Unfortunately, the trajectory our franchise is on right now, kinda points to Dorsett becoming a failure and Luck becoming broken and going from our next Peyton Manning to our next Jeff George...  

It's time for some changes. There's a long list of them to get our Colts back to being a perennial powerhouse.  Dorsett is far from the top of that list...

17 hours ago, DougDew said:

Moncrief and Whalen.

Hey you forgot about Duron Carter. #Stacked

Grigson may have gone in the wrong direction with the pick of Dorsett, but I just love how everyone has already turned on the kid. "He hasn't produced" isn't a worthy argument because, unlike most round 1 receivers, he hasn't been put in position to succeed. He has been either 3rd or 4th on the depth chart his entire career and hasn't been given a legitimate chance to prove himself yet. He's a deep threat, and our O-line refuses to give Luck enough time to let Dorsett beat the defense deep. "There were better options on the board" is true, but at the time of the pick, we were basically locks to make the Super Bowl. When Luck got injured, everyone turned on the players. They got mad at Grigson for his drafting woes, and that led to anger with Dorsett. Yes, we should have drafted help on defense with that pick, but that doesn't make Dorsett a bad player, does it? Pair with this that he only has 14 career games played with Luck and his numbers aren't as bad as they seem. All I ask is that you all stop getting mad at the player and start getting mad at the play-calling and terrible O-line play not giving Dorsett opportunities. 

And the reason we haven't seen as much of him as we normally see a 1st round WR is because the Colts still want to go with the plodding 2 TE, run first, offense.  If they made the 3 wide no huddle offense the base offense, we would see more of Dorsett.

The TE would not be a receiver so much, and more of a blocker, so the money wouldn't have to have been invested in DA in the offseason.

I thought that when they drafted Dorsett, that meant Grigs was going to let both Fleener and Allen take their contract demands elsewhere.  But then he resigned DA for reasons I still don't understand.

I don't really know what people expect from Dorsett. I think there's such an eagerness to bash early round picks by this organization that a lot of fans are blinded by their hatred.

The reality is that Dorsett is developing the way any talented WR3 would his first two years. He's on pace to more than double his production from last year on a per game basis without really seeing more targets. He's not the kind of receiver that will turn into a All-Pro overnight. Reggie Wayne didn't break 1000 yards until he was 26. Dorsett is 23 and has two more established guys ahead of him. You could argue he has 3 guys ahead of him if you take into account Luck's propensity to involve TE's in the passing game.

It's very rare for small receivers to come out and have an immediate, lasting impact unless they are being utilized in the short passing game as a possession receiver. The guy everyone wanted to use to bash Dorsett last year (Lockett) has regressed big time this year.

A lot of doubters are going to feel real silly when Dorsett is matching TY's output in 2 years. I'm guessing no one will give a 2nd thought to his draft position when that happens.

Mabey we should start discussing who does not suck on the team as they seem to outnumber the good payers. Think about this, given the people that are currently running the show, if they remain what hope is there that the Colts will improve? Wells Fargo recently got caught scamming customers and fired some 3,000 employees. They were not fired because they were incompetent cheats but because some blew the lid off and they simply got caught. We are witnessing the meltdown caused by incompetency and Irsay is cheating the fans by not caring or not knowing a way out.

4 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Mabey we should start discussing who does not suck on the team as they seem to outnumber the good payers. Think about this, given the people that are currently running the show, if they remain what hope is there that the Colts will improve? Wells Fargo recently got caught scamming customers and fired some 3,000 employees. They were not fired because they were incompetent cheats but because some blew the lid off and they simply got caught. We are witnessing the meltdown caused by incompetency and Irsay is cheating the fans by not caring or not knowing a way out.

Accusing Irsay of not caring invalidates everything else you could possibly say in your post.

I really need to avoid this board after losses. The amount of irrational behavior is ridiculous.

On 11/27/2016 at 6:42 PM, DougDew said:

Moncrief and Whalen.

Andre Johnson was signed before the draft, TY was in extension talks, and we still had Moncrief. Technically, at draft time, we were stacked. But I do agree with you in that the Dorsett pick was reasonable.

On 11/26/2016 at 6:45 AM, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Been asking for oline since year 1. Draft oline, and he waits until year 5 to draft a competent olinman. Who in their right minds resigns a GM who wastes so many early picks on players we don't even need. Most of those players are reaches. 

You know now when we traded our first round pick for TRich, NO ONE SAW IT COMING! Because you know, while having a top RB is nice, it wasn't needed. We barely needed a RB if my memory serves me correctly. 

This is the same thing that has happened with drafting Dorsett. I'm sure he's got some skill. But he just isn't a first round pick but since he was drafted there, the expectations come with it. I'm sure he's feeling the hate of the fans much like all the players probably are. 

Werner started 16 times in 3 years. 

And then you have Andrew Luck 1st round no brainer,

Kelly a 1st round center (shouldn't need to be a 1st) who he didn't think we needed until it was obvious by injury of Andrew Luck. 

What will be drafted in 2017? He has shown that unless they are of an extremely obvious talent of need, then he won't be drafting that position... maybe we should draft a new TE to replace the failed Dwayne Allen project. 

Its too bad jim irsay doesn't realize that good ole Grigson Has failed in the first round for 3 of 5 years, and the other 2 were as obvious a talent as you can get. Both being most pro ready at their respective positions than anyone else! So in all honesty it's so obvious, he's really failed in the first round for 5 straight years. 

If you know the answers before the quiz is over, it's not much of a challenge is it...? (Luck and Kelly picks)

Not just the First round...  the first three rounds...  in his time here he has picked only 4 defensive players in the first 3 rounds...  only two are still on the team, Anderson and Green.  

In fact I think he has issues picking Defensive players in the draft. Has only picked 15 defensive players out of the 38 total picks (39.5%...  and only 6 of these are still on the team that's 40% of the 39.5%... a whopping 15.75% hit rate!).   Hes done slightly better on offense with a 32% hit rate. Ten Off. players picked in the first 3 rounds and only one not on the team anymore (Fleener) 

So he's only hit on 47% of his total draft picks... I think we definitely need some one who can evaluate star defensive players better.

On 11/27/2016 at 10:54 PM, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Reggie Wayne took 3-4 years to really do anything in the NFL (another late first rounder from Miami).  I remember people being mixed about his pick when he was drafted, then people being irked about the pick after he put up similar (slightly better) numbers as Dorsett has... 15 years after the b****ing and moaning, and I don't think there is a Colts' fan in the world who is still upset about Wayne being drafted to Indy, HOF Reggie Wayne.

This is how it was for me personally w/Reggie's pick. Then, well.........he proceeded to prove me wrong for a long time!  Love Wayne's career, we miss you 87. Dorsett does seem to be on a similar path IMO. 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

But then he resigned DA for reasons I still don't understand.

Rookie year success was very good. Dude has been Mr. Glass/Stone hands since. Don't get it either because he still got a big contract on achievements he hasn't been able to replicate since his rookie campaign. Poor cap management there IMO. 

4 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

Andre Johnson was signed before the draft, TY was in extension talks, and we still had Moncrief. Technically, at draft time, we were stacked. But I do agree with you in that the Dorsett pick was reasonable.

I'll give you that AJ was signed prior to the draft, but he was on the downside.  I guess I don't give it much credit since I hated the signing at the time anyway...too expensive.  Moncrief was only potential at the time.  TY would not be under contract if talks failed.  Considering all of that, i would say that Dorsett was not a luxury pick.

On 11/24/2016 at 10:29 PM, Fisticuffs111 said:

They won't cut him and they shouldn't because of our depth, but he has been bad. 6 receptions for 13 yds in the past 3 games.

Wow, 6 catches for 13 yards in 3 games is really bad.  But Dorsett has 6 catches for 109 yards in the last three games.

I know I've mentioned this before but I remember all these same conversations back a while ago.  The Colts drafted a WR who, after 21 games had 55 catches for 766 yards and 2 TDs (Dorsett has 42 receptions for 620 yards and 2 TDs after 21 games).  People said he was terrible, a wasted draft pick, another first round bust from Polian.

Yet, when that WR left the Colts after the 2014 season most fans considered him one of the greatest receivers and a Colts fan favorite.

No need to trade or release him. If we had an oline or played like we were losing every game. We're using him as a decoy. At the end of games are when we use him correctly. You add the fact that this team isn't healthy. No excuse we must get the job done though. I'm tired of complaining. Asking for guys to be fired... I'm guilty of have those feeling especially after that stealers lose. I hate them!!! Lol but honestly we need to relax as fans. If this isn't our year then accept it. Many of you looking forward to the draft look forward to it. But we have 5 more games. The season isn't over so please as fans fight for this team. You never know what could happen. What player could improve. Please just hold on everyone. We will get better

No they shouldn't cut him.  I wouldn't even entertain the notion.

1.  He is cheap.

2.  It is still WAY too early to form any judgements.

3.  How do we know whether he's getting open or not?  Andrew just might not be looking his way enough.  If someone has the energy, they could scout one game using the coaches view on NFL league pass.  Great way to see the pass patterns develop.  I'm too lazy.

4.  As far as why he was drafted, we had nothing other than TY at that point.  Moncrief was only promise.  AJ was a one year (maybe 2 year) rental, and that was it.