Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I'm not saying I'm ready to fire Pagano...

Indi Warrior

21 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

Gruden will ask for the Moon

Harbaugh the same.

Saban will ask for Jupiter, he wants part ownership of the team.

Cowher, i don't like the idea of him spitting on your face when he's talking to you.

Logical choice: J McDaniel, won't cost the organization much. He's learned from his previous mistakes as a HC in Denver and a little younger and full of energy. As a bonus he's coached one of the greatest quarterbacks that's played the game. He's used to winning.  The other factor of course, he's been mentored by one of the best head coaches in the league. If this isn't enough resume', I don't know who else.

How do you know he's "learned from his previous mistakes"? Pure conjecture. Every coach I listed has been a successful HC in one form or another. Not McDaniel.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If. IF. It happens, then Chud is 100% the answer at least until season end.

Then I'd re-evaluate. Although I've always preferred when the Head Coach was a play caller. Chuck I'm sure has an input but he's not calling the plays on the sideline.  

But I'm nowhere even close to getting rid of him, personally.

I'd look at maybe Hue Jackson or Wade Phillips longer term.

1 hour ago, UKColt13 said:

If. IF. It happens, then Chud is 100% the answer at least until season end.

Then I'd re-evaluate. Although I've always preferred when the Head Coach was a play caller. Chuck I'm sure has an input but he's not calling the plays on the sideline.  

But I'm nowhere even close to getting rid of him, personally.

I'd look at maybe Hue Jackson or Wade Phillips longer term.

Hue Jackson is HC of the Browns 

Now that Urban Meyer is in the Midwest, would folks be fine with seeking him for the Colts HC? Every time he played Saban, whether at Florida or Ohio State, his teams showed up. He understands speed on defense, effort and meticulous game planning. His teams show up prepared, much like Jim Harbaugh.

To me, I'd personally be fine with taking a look at him because I feel he would let Luck be Luck and take care of the D and other facets, much like Dungy did with Peyton, but with a little more Urban antics. :)

16 hours ago, BOTT said:

No to the Carolina coordinators....especially Shula.

What has Goodwin done to deserve a HC job?

I'm curious, why not the Carolina coordinators, especially Shula?

And Goodwin has been the coordinator in Arizona for a few years now, and even though Arians callas the plays, he's taken on more and more control every year, and his players and fellow coaches believe he can handle it.

16 hours ago, Indy B said:

Doyle covered the points sequentially that should have the attention of anyone that is objective about Pagano, but the biggest concern is game planning.

Game planning has been a fair criticism in the past few years and losing the way we did without a credible attempt to deny their short game sans-Megatron is pretty hard not to criticize.  Short-handed or not, the plan was amiss even to a casual observer.

Pagano is much better in game overall than Doyle is giving him credit for here, despite fair criticism of this particular sequence. It's the pregame plan that looks unfavorable in the long game of program building.

11 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

Cowher, i don't like the idea of him spitting on your face when he's talking to you.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume you are joking. Not saying Cower is the greatest, but he would more than likely be an immediate upgrade to Pagano. Rarely did you catch the Steelers unprepared for an apponent under his watch. And he didn't have the issues of his teams starting slow. Love or hate him, he got it done more times than not. 

2 hours ago, GoColtsWin said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume you are joking. Not saying Cower is the greatest, but he would more than likely be an immediate upgrade to Pagano. Rarely did you catch the Steelers unprepared for an apponent under his watch. And he didn't have the issues of his teams starting slow. Love or hate him, he got it done more times than not. 

One super bowl in 15 years and Pagano needs fired??

14 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

8 Division titles, 10 playoff appearances, 2 Super Bowl appearances and 1 win.  You going to sit there with a straight face and tell me Pagano is better?  Anyone who knows anything about football would take Cowher over Pagano to lead their team.  Some of you have Pagano blinders on so tight it's embarrassing.

20 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

8 Division titles, 10 playoff appearances, 2 Super Bowl appearances and 1 win.  You going to sit there with a straight face and tell me Pagano is better?  Anyone who knows anything about football would take Cowher over Pagano to lead their team.  Some of you have Pagano blinders on so tight it's embarrassing.

Well sure let's look at Cowher did over his entire career and compare that to what Pagano has done in his first 4 years.  How about we compare Cowher's first 4 years to Pagano's first 4 years:

Cowher
43-21

3 Division titles

3-4 playoff record

1 SB appearance (loss vs. Dallas)

Pagano:
41-23

3 Division titles

3-3 playoff record

Other than the 1 SB appearance, their first 4 years are remarkably similar, no?

BTW, before anyone says "but, but Cowher didn't have Andrew Luck"...fair point...but has Pagano had even close to the talent on defense that Cowher had?

5 hours ago, Indi Warrior said:

I'm curious, why not the Carolina coordinators, especially Shula?

And Goodwin has been the coordinator in Arizona for a few years now, and even though Arians callas the plays, he's taken on more and more control every year, and his players and fellow coaches believe he can handle it.

Shula has been around a while and never really stood out IMO.  I'm not an expert on Carolina, but it seems he is doing a lot of what Chud was doing before he went to Cleveland.

I'm not totally against McDermitt, but that defense has a ton of talent.....they should be damn good.  Plus, I'd prefer a guy with experience.

imo, you aren't the coordinator unless you are calling the plays.  I think Goodwin is getting his chance to do that this season, so we shall see.  Also, when I watched the Cards, Palmer was always talking to Tom Moore, not Goodwin.

3 hours ago, dudley dawson said:

Your pretty good at putting words in my mouth. Where did I say that Pagano was a better coach than Cower? 

Jason broke down the records on Pagano-Cowher and they are almost the same.

Cowher didn't lose his starting QB and have to use 4 more different either ones either and still went 8-8.

No, it is the Pagano haters like you who have the binders on.

I've been neither a Pagano supporter nor hater up till now, but that timeout sent me straight into hater mode.  I don't care about calling a timeout before the play, just let the play clock run down.  If I on several beers immediately know that calling your 2nd timeout inside of 1:20 left to go concedes you're on your last possession and would be best off leaving as little time on the clock as possible (particularly with the state of the banged up secondary), then I think it's fair to expect someone who's making millions a year to make those decisions to know the same thing.  Maybe he was channeling his inner Caldwell.  After all, Caldwell's corpse was in the stadium, his spirit could've been flying around possessing Pagano 

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not one time did I mention that Pagano should be fired, see my post on the subject in the thread dedicated to the question can the Colts win a game, directly after a post by you. . I simply stated that IMO, Cower didn't suffer from Paganos woes, and should not be overlooked by the person (gacoop1)who's post I initially was commenting on because Cower may have a spittle issue. 

6 hours ago, threeflight said:

Guys I can 100% tell you that Irsay is biding his time for Harbaugh.  IF he had been available this off season, he would now be the coach.  Give Harbaugh one, more two more years and U-M and then he will be the next Colts HC.

If Harbaugh has success at Michigan he is not going anywhere anytime soon. He is already making NFL coaches pay and is a hero in Michigan. Why should Harbaugh work for Irsay and or Grigson when he is running the show in Michigan?

For you to even go with the statement that you were 100% sure Irsay is biding time to hire Harbaugh is a stretch of reality.

IMO Harbaugh is at his best as a college head coach and recruiter. It would be a big mistake by him or Irsay to hire him as the Colts head coach.

All this banter about Pagano is just that, banter. Pagano is not going to be fired anytime soon. Irsay is not going to start over with what went down this last off season.

Coaching changes and it seems to be a good draft along with the 5 year deals that Irsay cut with Pagano and Grigson nothing is changing with Pagano or Grigson.

Irsay is going to want to see what this team can do when healthy and that in itself is going to take time.

Irsay has never been known to make knee jerk reactions and do what the fans in the forum thinks he should do and he is not going to start now.

Pagano is here to stay for a while no matter how much anyone wants to whine and complain about him.

3 hours ago, #BringBobBack said:

I agree the constant slow starts, and pathetic play calling early every week is on the coaching staff. Although,the complete lack of talent and depth on this roster is on Grigson.

pathetic play calling didn't cause the slow start.

His winning percentage is 631% to  date and that puts him ahead of Bill Walsh and Tom Landry at this point in their careers. He is good enough to move a team if that had a system. The Colts GM & owner view every year as different from a long term goal of building a winner that can stay in the hunt. Being "in the hunt" does not mean making the playoffs rather, being considered a Super Bowl probable which is what they were for a number of years. A coaching change is not a good idea.

16 minutes ago, King Colt said:

His winning percentage is 631% to  date and that puts him ahead of Bill Walsh and Tom Landry at this point in their careers. He is good enough to move a team if that had a system. The Colts GM & owner view every year as different from a long term goal of building a winner that can stay in the hunt. Being "in the hunt" does not mean making the playoffs rather, being considered a Super Bowl probable which is what they were for a number of years. A coaching change is not a good idea.

What does that mean?

14 hours ago, threeflight said:

Guys I can 100% tell you that Irsay is biding his time for Harbaugh.  IF he had been available this off season, he would now be the coach.  Give Harbaugh one, more two more years and U-M and then he will be the next Colts HC.

The implication here is that you have inside info.  Methinks that is not close to the truth and you are stating opinion as if it is fact.  But please, do share...