Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF Grades - Luck best QB on day, OL play strong, front 7 disappoints

jradMT

Quarterback grade: Andrew Luck, 96.0

Luck shows no sign of last year’s struggles as he finishes as this week’s highest-graded QB

What a performance by Andrew Luck that was wasted in a loss. Luck was executing high-level throws all afternoon, picking apart the Lions’ pass coverage with ease. Luck was incredibly effective when throwing deep down the middle of the field, where he completed 11-of-13 passes for 203 yards and three touchdowns on passes at least 10 yards downfield. Luck didn’t force any passes or make any real poor decisions all game. He was making every throw he needed to, and was able to march his team down the field consistently. After a tough season last year for Luck, this incredible performance bodes well for the Colts going forward.

luck

Top offensive grades:

QB Andrew Luck, 96.0

C Ryan Kelly, 79.3

WR T.Y. Hilton, 78.6

LT Anthony Castonzo, 78.0

RG Denzelle Good, 75.6

Strong offensive line play allows Luck to go to work

One of the reasons for Luck’s struggles last season could have been poor offensive line play, which caused him to constantly worry about pressure and affect his play. That wasn’t the case today, as the unit played very strong against a very good Lions’ defensive line. The Colts offensive line allowed just one sack and seven total pressures on 51 passing plays. That pass-blocking efficiency of 89.2 ranks fourth among all teams that have played so far this week. The left side duo of LT Anthony Castonzo and LG Jack Mewhort was particularly strong, allowing just one hit and one hurry combined.

Top defensive grades:

CB Antonio Cromartie, 81.2

S Mike C. Adams, 81.0

ED Trent Cole, 77.8

S T.J. Green, 72.8

LB Sio Moore, 72.6

Colts front seven disappoints, as they fail to do much of anything against Lions’ offense

Aside from OLB Trent Cole, who impressed with a QB hit and three other hurries in a strong pass-rushing effort, this was a less-than-ideal performance from the Colts’ front seven. Aside from Cole, the unit combined for a mere one sack, three hits and two hurries. They let Stafford sit in the pocket with time, which forced their secondary to cover for much longer than they should’ve had to. Against the run they fared no better, as the Lions were able to open up big holes all game long and run through them at will. With such a strong offensive unit, the Colts just need their front seven to improve a little bit, as just one big stop would have been enough to come up with a win today.

11 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

It's chicken little on the forums after this loss. 

I I am the only one it seems that is excited to see a freakin real pocket form around our QB. In GAME ONE. The oline will only improve. This is great news for our future goals. 

I agree... this was a pretty crappy loss, but the Lions are not exactly a push-over.  Heck, half our defense wasn't playing or was hurt in this game (Davis, Anderson, Jones, Butler, Robinson, Greene, Geathers.... it's really not unfathomable to think at points in time when our D is operating at it's best, we should be seeing between 5-6 of those guys on the field at the same time). 

Luck, IMO, looked as good or better than he ever has and our OL other than a couple of mistakes (which should be fixable) looked better than it has in quite a while with Luck as QB. 

Perhaps a bit disheartening of a loss, but just about everything will only get better as the season rolls on (assuming we don't see injuries continue to mount like they've been).  Pretty much all of the mistakes are either (1) fixable -- this includes Pagano's TO gaffe/clock mgmt woes and some of the OL mistakes or (2) should greatly improve when/if we ever get back close to full strength in terms of personnel.

1 minute ago, jskinnz said:

Not sure what you are getting at.  Methinks it is a dismissive shot at PFF but I could be wrong.

Just saying that, after all the screaming and hollering after he was drafted, he steps in as a Day 1 starter and, IMO, did pretty well. I think he's gonna be good. I could be wrong...

PFF was pretty critical of him coming out, including his draft slot. I wasn't meaning to take a shot at anyone, but I get why maybe it seemed that way.

Just now, Superman said:

Just saying that, after all the screaming and hollering after he was drafted, he steps in as a Day 1 starter and, IMO, did pretty well. I think he's gonna be good. I could be wrong...

PFF was pretty critical of him coming out, including his draft slot. I wasn't meaning to take a shot at anyone, but I get why maybe it seemed that way.

I went to training camp this year and his size was immediately evident.  He just looked different than other Colt DB's.  The Colts clearly need his speed & athleticism.  Realizing the make shift line-up they were playing with yesterday, the D is not athletic.  It will get better when some guys get back but still - it is lacking overall.  Green provides that in spades.  He is going to be good.  

47 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

but...I've been led to believe that Trent Cole sucks now?!?

If you actually watch him play (and I know you do) you'll see that this is one pff got wrong. He's pretty bad and was bad last year. Our whole pass rush sucks actually. Thankfully we have Luck telling Pags/Chuds game plan to suck it 

Just now, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

If you actually watch him play (and I know you do) you'll see that this is one pff got wrong. He's pretty bad and was bad last year. Our whole pass rush sucks actually. Thankfully we have Luck telling Pags/Chuds game plan to suck it 

I disagree...he struggled last year but came on more towards the end of the year.  Assuming they're basing their grades on an overall 100 point scale, I'd say their grade for cole is about right.  he wasn't great, mind you, but was better than many around here will lead one to believe.

28 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Once our defense gets healthy, I think this team can beat anybody. Let's see if they can survive these next few games. 2-2 would be great

IDK we where only missing Davis and Anderson.  To be fair they are our 2 best defenders but I think defense is going to be an Achilles heal no matter what our health.

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

IDK we where only missing Davis and Anderson.  To be fair they are our 2 best defenders but I think defense is going to be an Achilles heal no matter what our health.

And Geathers and Butler. Plus, we lost Green and Robinson during the game and Langford was no where near 100%.

Does Andrew Luck & The Colts = Drew Brees and the Saints?

We have a franchise QB and a terrific aerial attack, just like Drew Brees and the Saints. What the Colts are lacking, (even when all the starters return) is a solid defense, just like the Saints. The Saints finished 7-9 three out of the last 4 years, despite having one of the best QBs in the league.Their division, similar to the AFC South, is not that strong either.

My point is this: We all know that Andrew Luck is amazing. Many on this forum believe that with Luck, we should be Super Bowl contenders, or at least make it to the playoffs, nearly automatically (No different than Saints fans). However, it takes more than just a QB to win in this league. Even Aaron Rodgers and the Packers finished 8-7-1 in 2013. If the Colts defense continues to be the weak link, it might not matter how incredible Luck is.

26 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Trent Cole had a good game, and was pretty good in preseason.

They've updated the rankings and they're quite different now. I assume they saw the all 22.

TEs:

DA 79.1 overall. Good for 5th best

Doyle 78.6 overall. Rank 6

Fleener 40.8. Rank 42 (sorry, couldn't help myself)

For comparison, the best TE was Greg Olsen with 83.2 overall

WRs:

Hilton 78.8

Moncrief 74.3

Dorsett 73

CBs

Rasaan Melvin 83.2. Rank 10

Cromartie 81.2

Robinson 48.8

Darryl Morris 46.8

Safeties

Adams 75.1

Green 71.7

Guy 45.8

ILBs

Moore 78.2

DQ 38.6

OLBs

Cole 68.2

Mathis 44.4 (I don't recall one spin move)

Walden 40.0

Dline (if you have children in the room you may want to avert their eyes at this time)

Parry 48.6

McGill 44.6

Ridgeway 44.5

Langford 40.6

Kerr 38.2

Yeah, their suckatude was more than evident. Get well soon, Henry. We need you to play all 3 positions all at once.

Oline

AC 82.1

Mewhort 75.5

Kelly 75.6

Good 78.9

Reitz 54.3 (I guess he didn't hold up after further review, he was 72 previously)

If you'd like to see any other grades, let me know.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Pretty much all the "experts" dissed taking Green that early. By some accounts 3-4 rounds too early.

50 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Also missing Butler and Geathers, plus Jones who's on suspension. We also lost PRob and Green early on, and both were playing relatively well. Not to mention guys like Langford and Moore were returning from injuries so they were rusty. If we get everybody back (which to be fair, probably won't happen as Football is a sport that is full of injuries), I think the secondary and run defense will vastly improve. Not world class, but still good. The only area I think will remain a problem all season is the pass rush.

This Defense doesn't need to be Seattle, Denver, or Arizona level for this team to win. The offense is good enough to shield some of their deficiencies. We had some holy trash defense yesterday and still lost by only 4 points.

Our offense is very close to being super bowl caliber. If our running game was more threatening we would already have it, as long as we could stay largely healthy. On defense not as much. But I loved what I saw in pass protection - Luck is as good or better than anybody if he gets decent protection imo.

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Honestly other than two or three plays they might as well have played without the front three yesterday.  It's been a while since I've seen them lose the battle like that up front on defense.  

Pretty much every game against Jacksonville back in the Pocket Hercules days 

2 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

I watched the sounds of the game from mathis and he looked awful dude doesn't have it like he used to he's older let maggitt get some reps in they're high on him anyway

hasn't played the whole preseason. Let him get back into the swing of things.

15 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

They've updated the rankings and they're quite different now. I assume they saw the all 22.

TEs:

DA 79.1 overall. Good for 5th best

Doyle 78.6 overall. Rank 6

Fleener 40.8. Rank 42 (sorry, couldn't help myself)

For comparison, the best TE was Greg Olsen with 83.2 overall

WRs:

Hilton 78.8

Moncrief 74.3

Dorsett 73

CBs

Rasaan Melvin 83.2. Rank 10

Cromartie 81.2

Robinson 48.8

Darryl Morris 46.8

Safeties

Adams 75.1

Green 71.7

Guy 45.8

ILBs

Moore 78.2

DQ 38.6

OLBs

Cole 68.2

Mathis 44.4 (I don't recall one spin move)

Walden 40.0

Dline (if you have children in the room you may want to avert their eyes at this time)

Parry 48.6

McGill 44.6

Ridgeway 44.5

Langford 40.6

Kerr 38.2

Yeah, their suckatude was more than evident. Get well soon, Henry. We need you to play all 3 positions all at once.

Oline

AC 82.1

Mewhort 75.5

Kelly 75.6

Good 78.9

Reitz 54.3 (I guess he didn't hold up after further review, he was 72 previously)

If you'd like to see any other grades, let me know.

Morrison? McNary?

3 minutes ago, K-148 said:

Morrison? McNary?

Mcnary-38.8

Morrison-68.4.....His 72.3 run grade bumped his overall grade up and 60.0 pass rush grade. He only had 11 snaps.

I believe Grigson and Pagano look to him to be Jacksons replacement in the next year maybe two at the most. Jacksons dead cap hit(what it would cost next year to cut him) next year is just $250,000.00 compared to $5,750,000 cap hit if he is on the roster next year

7 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Mcnary-38.8

Morrison-68.4.....His 72.3 run grade bumped his overall grade up and 60.0 pass rush grade. He only had 11 snaps.

I believe Grigson and Pagano look to him to be Jacksons replacement in the next year maybe two at the most. Jacksons dead cap hit(what it would cost next year to cut him) next year is just $250,000.00 compared to $5,750,000 cap hit if he is on the roster next year

or sooner if he has too many more games like Sunday.