Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

D'Joun Smith waived

bababooey

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the earlier question was answered. I'm not sure what is the benefit of waiving him & (if he clears) placing him on IR vs just playing him on IR. 

I dont think the earlier comment about needing to be vested is accurate. For instance, Jax placed Dante fowler directly on IR without putting him on waivers. Colts put Anderson on IR last year. 

Im guessing the difference has something to do with future contractual obligations. 

20 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

This guy can't get healthy.  Bummer because he has a lot of talent and potential.

I'm not sure he has ever shown the talent and potential to be an NFL starter even when healthy . Never looked good in camp as far as I can remember. Yes he appeared to have potential when drafted but , I would say at this point it's more than just not staying healthy. Looks to me it's also an issue if his game translated to the NFL.

2 minutes ago, bertjones7 said:

I don't think the earlier question was answered. I'm not sure what is the benefit of waiving him & (if he clears) placing him on IR vs just playing him on IR. 

I dont think the earlier comment about needing to be vested is accurate. For instance, Jax placed Dante fowler directly on IR without putting him on waivers. Colts put Anderson on IR last year. 

Im guessing the difference has something to do with future contractual obligations. 

Redskins IR'ed Keith Marshall for a elbow injury. They didn't want to risk losing him. I guess the Colts don't expect anyone will claim Gruden's prodigy AND DON'T CARE if some team does.

I did a little research and found the following link. Interesting that it refers to the 1st cut down day. 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nj.com/articles/19199637/what_does_it_mean_when_an_nfl_player_is_waivedinju.amp?client=safari

After doing some research and speaking to league sources, here are the key points about the waived/injured designation:

*Vested veterans can be put directly on injured reserve without being exposed to waivers. This is what the Giants did with fifth-year offensive lineman Byron Stingily, who was placed on injured reserve on Tuesday with a concussion.

*Up until the first cut-down day, which was Tuesday, injured non-vested players must be placed on waivers through the waived/injured designation before being placed on injured reserve. This prevents teams from stashing young players on injured reserve. Once a waived/injured player clears waivers, he reverts to the team's IR.

*After the first cut-down day, teams can use the waived/injured designation or they can place a player directly on IR.

19 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

From the get go I hinted he's probably a Bust! But a lot on here really had him pencilled in as our #2 opposite of Davis.

The 1st pick in the 3rd round. We passed on Tevon Coleman for him. I guessed we passed on a lot of players. 

Well he still has that Gruden tape on him he can replay over and over.

Can't predict injuries

5 minutes ago, bertjones7 said:

I did a little research and found the following link. Interesting that it refers to the 1st cut down day. 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nj.com/articles/19199637/what_does_it_mean_when_an_nfl_player_is_waivedinju.amp?client=safari

After doing some research and speaking to league sources, here are the key points about the waived/injured designation:

*Vested veterans can be put directly on injured reserve without being exposed to waivers. This is what the Giants did with fifth-year offensive lineman Byron Stingily, who was placed on injured reserve on Tuesday with a concussion.

*Up until the first cut-down day, which was Tuesday, injured non-vested players must be placed on waivers through the waived/injured designation before being placed on injured reserve. This prevents teams from stashing young players on injured reserve. Once a waived/injured player clears waivers, he reverts to the team's IR.

*After the first cut-down day, teams can use the waived/injured designation or they can place a player directly on IR.

Thanks. So it appears the Colts could have IRed him.  I'm not sure if they keep him cheaper if he clears waivers, but if that's the reason they obviously didn't think that much of him.

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Thanks. So it appears the Colts could have IRed him.  I'm not sure if they keep him cheaper if he clears waivers, but if that's the reason they obviously didn't think that much of him.

Let me amend that post.  I guess the injury has to be season ending to go directly to IR and his aren't.  Looks like an injury settlement if he clears waivers, then he'll be a FA.

39 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I'm not sure he has ever shown the talent and potential to be an NFL starter even when healthy . Never looked good in camp as far as I can remember. Yes he appeared to have potential when drafted but , I would say at this point it's more than just not staying healthy. Looks to me it's also an issue if his game translated to the NFL.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Kravitz is reporting on Twitter he was cut for lack of professionalism more than because of his injury status.

That's interesting.  I wonder what he did.  I don't recall any reports of him showing up to meetings or practice late.

3 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Actually Bob Kravits may have  said been more to unprofessional conduct to injury? 1070 the Fan are trying to get him to come on air briefly to clarify.

Update: Kravits did come on air and said he was told he did not act the part of a professional athlete and that's the main reason he was waived.

A BUST!!!

46 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

From the get go I hinted he's probably a Bust! But a lot on here really had him pencilled in as our #2 opposite of Davis.

The 1st pick in the 3rd round. We passed on Tevon Coleman for him. I guessed we passed on a lot of players. 

Well he still has that Gruden tape on him he can replay over and over.

You probably hinted because you never can be sure, just like the rest of us. 

We were simply hopeful while you weren't.

Tevin Coleman? Kinda early to be crowing about him, isn't it?

He had the same kind of I-was-drafted-lower-than-where-I-should-have-been chip on his shoulder much like Dwayne Allen, I remember that from his 1070 AM sports radio interview after he was drafted. However, he couldn't even show Allen's level of availability, which is not that difficult to match.:scratch:

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Kravitz is reporting on Twitter he was cut for lack of professionalism more than because of his injury status.

Hmm, I recall it was said that he was pretty cocky early last TC for a guy who'd done nothing yet.

A year later, and still nothing to back it up. Maybe it got the better of him.

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

He had the same kind of I-was-drafted-lower-than-where-I-should-have-been chip on his shoulder much like Dwayne Allen, I remember that from his 1070 AM sports radio interview after he was drafted. However, he couldn't even show Allen's level of availability, which is not that difficult to match.:scratch:

That's a good attitude if it inspires you to be a better player.  I read that he took down all the pictures of Deon, etc., and was acting humble this season.

Hope the kid turns it around.

8 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Hmm, I recall it was said that he was pretty cocky early last TC for a guy who'd done nothing yet.

A year later, and still nothing to back it up. Maybe it got the better of him.

Someone retweeted him on Twitter saying that if the right team drafted him with the right coaches he would go down as the greatest corner to ever play the game so I can easily see the cocky part.