Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

D'Joun Smith waived

bababooey

13 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Well gosh, if he was as solid as you suggest., why did they cut him loose? 

Because Reggie was never Grigson's guy.  He didn't want Reggie to start with and proved it by offering a large contract to Garcon who wouldn't give him the time of day.  So they went begging back to Reggie and used Pagano's long ago connection with him to make it happen.  Grigs wanted to look smart by signing big bad Johnson but he didn't check under the hood.  He was supposed to be our legit #1 and he wasn't even close.  Take away his big revenge game against the Texans and he was pretty useless the rest of the year, especially for the investment.  It was another * move by Grigson who has a long history.  Really, I should have just answered your question with one word: Grigson. 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Cynjin said:

Actually, what I said was not supposition.  You may want to look up the definition.

Supposition definitely applied to your "uncertain" statements, far more than mine.  Perhaps you need to look it up.  I don't think it means what you think it means.  

58 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Supposition definitely applied to your "uncertain" statements, far more than mine.  Perhaps you need to look it up.  I don't think it means what you think it means.  

Hmmm, lets take a look at what I wrote.

You have no idea what Reggie would have brought to the team, that would be a fact.

Reggie didn't last very long with the Pats, did he? Also, a fact unless you consider a few weeks as long.

Johnson was seen as a upgrade over Reggie at the time he signed with the Colts.  Again a fact.

Finally, hindsight is 20/20.  Yep, that would be a fact too.

Now lets look at what you stated.

Reggie would have brought more to the Colts than Johnson.  There is no way to no for sure, so that would be an uncertain belief or another word for that would be supposition.

51 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Pot/kettle. You are the one who doesn't seem to understand what supposition means.

Your initial post was full of supposition. From the point about Wayne only being signed after garcon refused, to they would have waved goodbye to Wayne if Reggie had signed (how do you know they werent negotiating with both Wayne and garcon at the same time?) to the point of Wayne would have had a better year than Andre.  Sure, the points about previous chemistry are valid, but we never actually got to see wayne in action so the truth is we have no idea what he had left in the tank at that point.

In the post of cynjin's that you quoted, accusing him of supposition, I didn't see a single comment in thatvpoat that would even really qualify as supposition.

Either way, vocab lesson over, carry on. :)

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You probably knows this,  but for those who don't,  it's my understanding that if Smith clears waivers and is not claimed by anyone else then we're keeping him and putting him on IR.

So,  while we may be down on Smith,  it sounds like we're not ready to cut ties with him completely just yet.

I remain modestly......      hopeful.

Injury settlement payment... then kick him out the door.

Could very well happen, too.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

He would go to the Colts IR, if unclaimed (which he was evidently not claimed, or else we would know by now). But the Colts can -- and likely will -- reach an injury settlement with him within the next five days, and he'll be come a free agent. 

They could have simply IR'd him at this point. Once the cut to 75 is done, even non vested veterans can be placed directly on IR without being exposed to waivers. That they waive-injured him indicates that they're willing to get rid of him. He's not healthy, so they can't just waive him, but that they exposed him to waivers when they didn't have to says something. So I figure he'll be gone within a few days, unless something changes.

Yes, yes.  Exactly.

They either come to an agreement on injury  $$, or Colts will release him once he has passed a physical.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

He would go to the Colts IR, if unclaimed (which he was evidently not claimed, or else we would know by now). But the Colts can -- and likely will -- reach an injury settlement with him within the next five days, and he'll be come a free agent. 

They could have simply IR'd him at this point. Once the cut to 75 is done, even non vested veterans can be placed directly on IR without being exposed to waivers. That they waive-injured him indicates that they're willing to get rid of him. He's not healthy, so they can't just waive him, but that they exposed him to waivers when they didn't have to says something. So I figure he'll be gone within a few days, unless something changes.

Maybe I'm over thinking this,   but my hunch was that we proceeded as we did so that we could waive him, reclaim him,    but then renegotiate his deal.

In other words,  have him on a smaller, cheaper contract than his original rookie deal going into his 2nd year.

Cheaper for the Colts,  and perhaps a slice of humble pie to sober up Smith and let him know that we don't value him as we once did.       Just a hunch,  but I'd be interested in feedback.....     does is seem plausible?

2 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Because Reggie was never Grigson's guy.  He didn't want Reggie to start with and proved it by offering a large contract to Garcon who wouldn't give him the time of day.  So they went begging back to Reggie and used Pagano's long ago connection with him to make it happen.  Grigs wanted to look smart by signing big bad Johnson but he didn't check under the hood.  He was supposed to be our legit #1 and he wasn't even close.  Take away his big revenge game against the Texans and he was pretty useless the rest of the year, especially for the investment.  It was another * move by Grigson who has a long history.  Really, I should have just answered your question with one word: Grigson. 

Andre Johnson was supposed to be our #1?!?    Huh?

I don't think so.    And I don't know why anyone would think that?

20 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yes, yes.  Exactly.

They either come to an agreement on injury  $$, or Colts will release him once he has passed a physical.

Makes sense what you guys are saying. I guess better to save some of the 600K base he has. None of it is guaranteed. Too bad he turned out to be such a dud . I don't think I ever saw or even read one positive play or thing about the guy after we signed him.

1 hour ago, Jason_S said:

Pot/kettle. You are the one who doesn't seem to understand what supposition means.

Your initial post was full of supposition. From the point about Wayne only being signed after garcon refused, to they would have waved goodbye to Wayne if Reggie had signed (how do you know they werent negotiating with both Wayne and garcon at the same time?) to the point of Wayne would have had a better year than Andre.  Sure, the points about previous chemistry are valid, but we never actually got to see wayne in action so the truth is we have no idea what he had left in the tank at that point.

In the post of cynjin's that you quoted, accusing him of supposition, I didn't see a single comment in thatvpoat that would even really qualify as supposition.

Either way, vocab lesson over, carry on. :)

I never said I didn't use supposition. 90% of all the posts on the site use it.  I pointed out his used it throughout.  Even his post above is full of it.  Reggie left on his own terms at the time of his choosing, but above he supposes it was a short time insinuating and supposing that it indicates something negative about Reggie when it doesn't remotely.  He also supposes what Grigson was actually thinking when he signed Johnson instead of Wayne.  He doesn't know, call it supposition or guessing, in the end it is not a fact, it's an opinion.  An opinion without facts is supposition.  It could be right or wrong, but he doesn't know what Grigson was thinking.  I presented supposition combined with facts that led me to a different opinion.  And you and he are both using Supposition (that buzz word) when you suggest he wasn't at least as good or rationally similar to his previous play when he wasn't injured.   So I pointed out the hypocrisy of him saying my statements were supposition as if that was a pejorative assessment, yet he and most everyone did and continue to do on nearly every post.  

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe I'm over thinking this,   but my hunch was that we proceeded as we did so that we could waive him, reclaim him,    but then renegotiate his deal.

In other words,  have him on a smaller, cheaper contract than his original rookie deal going into his 2nd year.

Cheaper for the Colts,  and perhaps a slice of humble pie to sober up Smith and let him know that we don't value him as we once did.       Just a hunch,  but I'd be interested in feedback.....     does is seem plausible?

Can't renegotiate his rookie deal up or down until after Year 3. His contract probably has an injury split, so if he's on IR all season he gets a reduced salary in 2016. That's why the Colts likely would have just IR'd him if they still wanted him. The injury settlement is most likely, because he can sign with someone else for at least the second year minimum, no injury split, and he gets whatever the value of the injury settlement. And for the Colts, they save a couple hundred K and cut ties with a player they've soured on. 

I think they were hoping he'd be claimed on waivers, then he'd be someone else's problem. Now they have to get the settlement done, or whatever it is they plan to do. If he doesn't have a season ending injury, I assume he'll be eager to go somewhere else and get on the field this year.

Also, irrelevant but related, because he's been through waivers, the fourth year of his contract is voided, and he'll be a restricted FA after 2017.