Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

D'Joun Smith waived

bababooey

53 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

We know he would have been far cheaper and let's face it, Griff Whalen was better than Johnson, so Reggie, playing at the WORST level we ever saw him play would have been better AND he had chemistry, trust, comfort level and timing down with Luck and the other teammates.  I think that would reasonably be better than what Johnson brought.  And if Reggie had mysteriously been less than 50% of what he was the previous year, why would the Patriots sign him? I think he had plenty left for a finale and I think far more circumstances support that notion than refutes that notion.  

Reggie had 64 catches and 2 tds playing with andrew luck for 15 games

Andre had 41 catches and 4tds only playing with luck for 7 games.    Andre had a better season than most give him credit for.   He was never the first option.  When you have back up qbs the third and fourth option don't get many looks,  especially behind a terrible o line

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Jason_S said:

I'm thinking that's probably not the case. If he was going to be ok to go in a couple of weeks, I don't think he would want to go on IR knowing that best case scenario is he gets to play again in 9 weeks, and that's only if another more important player doesn't suffer a ~2 month injury. 

You could be right but I think we all can agree this one takes a whole lot of speculation . I do think the final 53 is a mess due to so many players that look to be out at least in week one. The little "blip" that got me thinking this might be mostly motivated by what I said is below. This is hardly a good source but is it is just a high ankle sprain , he should indeed be back in a couple weeks as he's been out about a month ?

he Houston Chronicle's Aaron Wilson reports waived Colts CB D'Joun Smith's ankle injury isn't considered serious.

The Colts are hoping to stash Smith on I.R, but there's a good chance he gets claimed on waivers. His high-ankle sprain isn't a season-ender, and should only keep him out a couple of weeks.

20 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Not sure what you mean, availability?  Couldn't they have just IRed him?

20 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

yep, I think  you have to be a vested veteran first. All others have to clear waivers first.

20 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Didn't know he had a serious injury.

Apparently though the Colts where not too invested in him otherwise they would have tried to protect him from being picked up on waivers by waiting until the season to IR him.

No vested players ( < 4 years ) must be waived (can't 'cut' him) or if injured, waive/injured; until after the first cut down day from 90 to 75 players.  That was Aug 30, I believe.  After that, the Colts could have just placed him on IR.  But did not.  This tells me they want to cut ties with him altogether, possibly hoping someone picks him up and removes his contract from us, because they could have placed him directly on IR if they desired.

Another thing here, he could have a split contract and being 3rd rounder and not a higher pick makes this quite possible.  If he clears waivers (and no injury settlement) , he will get 1/17th of his pay each week on IR.  OTOH, if he has a split contract, that pay may be reduced from the level he would receive actually being on the 53 man roster.

Say a rookie making the league minimum gets 1/17 of $450,000 while on the 53 man roster, he might only get, say, 1/17th of $330,000 while on IR if he has a split contract.

So the Colts now have 5 days to come to an injury settlement with D'Joun.  This usually happens if the injury isn't deemed severe or long lasting.  The Colts will offer a lump sum, typically for how long that particular injury is expected keep Smith from playing. If accepted, Smith becomes a free agent and can sign with any other team.  If not, he goes on the Colts IR list and collects his pay each week as noted above. Once on IR, Smith can not be waived until he passes a physical.

19 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Andre had 41 catches and 4tds only playing with luck for 7 games.    Andre had a better season than most give him credit for.   He was never the first option.  When you have back up qbs the third and fourth option don't get many looks,  especially behind a terrible o line

Well I'll admit that I am surprised at those numbers. Sure didn't seem that way in real time.

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

You could be right but I think we all can agree this one takes a whole lot of speculation . I do think the final 53 is a mess due to so many players that look to be out at least in week one. The little "blip" that got me thinking this might be mostly motivated by what I said is below. This is hardly a good source but is it is just a high ankle sprain , he should indeed be back in a couple weeks as he's been out about a month ?

he Houston Chronicle's Aaron Wilson reports waived Colts CB D'Joun Smith's ankle injury isn't considered serious.

The Colts are hoping to stash Smith on I.R, but there's a good chance he gets claimed on waivers. His high-ankle sprain isn't a season-ender, and should only keep him out a couple of weeks.

This (bolded ) does not make sense.  It is past the first cut down date, from 90 to 75 players on Aug 30.  The Colts could place D'Joun on IR directly without going through waivers if they desired.   The rule to subject injured rookies to waivers came about to keep teams from stashing away players; like an untouchable Practice Squad.  So when teams are full at 90 players, they have to submit any injured non vested player to waivers first before opening up the slot in the 90 man roster.  Once cuts to 75 have been made, non-vested players can be placed directly on IR, or waiver injure them.  We did the latter it seems, I'm just going by reports I have seen here, haven't actually looked up any article yet.  But the protocols are set, so apply in some fashion.

I wonder if they will negotiate an injury settlement for Smiths injury and then let him try to sign elsewhere.  We'll see.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

This (bolded ) does not make sense.  It is past the first cut down date, from 90 to 75 players on Aug 30.  The Colts could place D'Joun on IR directly without going through waivers if they desired.   The rule to subject injured rookies to waivers came about to keep teams from stashing away players; like an untouchable Practice Squad.  So when teams are full at 90 players, they have to submit any injured non vested player to waivers first before opening up the slot in the 90 man roster.  Once cuts to 75 have been made, non-vested players can be placed directly on IR, or waiver injure them.  We did the latter it seems, I'm just going by reports I have seen here, haven't actually looked up any article yet.  But the protocols are set, so apply in some fashion.

I wonder if they will negotiate an injury settlement for Smiths injury and then let him try to sign elsewhere.  We'll see.

I'm not sure I totally understand what the rule is regarding non vested players. If you have to right , I understand what your saying. However your last statement seems to say that the Colts have to negotiate an "injury settlement" for him to sign with another team. I would think that would be if they just placed him on IR. It's being reported that he was "injury waived." I'm pretty sure in this case another team can just claim him .. just like the Colts did with T Mitchell last year ?

14 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Doesn't matter if Lombardi was coaching these guys. You can't coach someone who gets injured. 

I'm not just talking about Smith here. Davis is the only decent corner we have had with Pagano and the OL has been horrible since Grigson has been here,.. Just saying! 

Just now, dw49 said:

I'm not sure I totally understand what the rule is regarding non vested players. If you have to right , I understand what your saying. However your last statement seems to say that the Colts have to negotiate an "injury settlement" for him to sign with another team. I would think that would be if they just placed him on IR. It's being reported that he was "injury waived." I'm pretty sure in this case another team can just claim him .. just like the Colts did with T Mitchell last year ?

Yes, he can be claimed within 24 hours, but the other team has his contract then as well, and an injured player on their roster.  Colts could have placed Smith directly on IR since the first cut down date has passed and did not, waiving him with injury designation (you just can't waive an injured non-vested player that is hurt) hoping beyond all hope someone actually does claim him.  It won't happen, he'll go on IR and the Colts will settle with him for injury and then release him.  Then as a free agent, Smith will try to land a job elsewhere.  Best of luck to him.

The revisionist history is rampant in here. I remember Smith being drafted and no one being happy and calling him a bust. And once the articles came out that he was getting touched in TC, it only fueled the bust talk.

Now because everyone is so eager to protect Grigson, now it's not his fault. He can't predict injuries.

Im not saying anything about Smith either way but I know there are a bunch of people humming a different tune than they were in 2015.

I honestly don't know if I'm upset or not. You just can't cut a high 3rd like D'Joun like this so quick. He was basically a 2nd we traded down a few spots and picked. You have confidence in your guy you drafted last year that high, make sure he's a bust on the field for at least a season before cutting him. It may not affect us because he never started for us in the 1st place, but it is a poor move by Grigson, IMO, and an amateur one that shouldn't be done. 

20 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yes, he can be claimed within 24 hours, but the other team has his contract then as well, and an injured player on their roster.  Colts could have placed Smith directly on IR since the first cut down date has passed and did not, waiving him with injury designation (you just can't waive an injured non-vested player that is hurt) hoping beyond all hope someone actually does claim him.  It won't happen, he'll go on IR and the Colts will settle with him for injury and then release him.  Then as a free agent, Smith will try to land a job elsewhere.  Best of luck to him.

That  makes sense. Plus if you compare Smith to Mitchel , their salaries would be very different as Mitchel was a 6th I think.

Basically D'Joun Smith is still just as valuable as any late 2nd, early 3rd round draft pick this year. He's draft currency that has yet to been unlocked. He may be a bust, he may be a solid player, but he's had no chance to show either. You don't cut a draft pick like that, it's just kinda an unwritten rule. They are basically saying they know he's a bust based on limited preseason action and some injury history, and I don't buy they know what they're talking about. This is coming from someone that thought this was a bad pick. At least confirm it first, don't try to make up for bjoern werner and other busts and cut him early.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Basically D'Joun Smith is still just as valuable as any late 2nd, early 3rd round draft pick this year. He's draft currency that has yet to been unlocked. He may be a bust, he may be a solid player, but he's had no chance to show either. You don't cut a draft pick like that, it's just kinda an unwritten rule.

Lol. No its not some unwritten rule. If you realize that a player is not who you want on your team then cut him. Free up that roster spot for someone you do want on your team rather than keeping the guy because of some non-existent unwritten rule.

"They are basically saying they know he's a bust based on limited preseason action and some injury history, and I don't buy they know what they're talking about. "

Have you read any of the reports that are suggesting this move was based as much, if not moreso, on his attitude and lack of professionalism (which could easily include lack of effort in practice and/or meetings) than anything?

You're making quite a few assumptions and assigning blame with very limited knowledge on what actually went down.

Just now, Jason_S said:

Lol. No its not some unwritten rule. If you realize that a player is not who you want on your team then cut him. Free up that roster spot for someone you do want on your team rather than keeping the guy because of some non-existent unwritten rule.

"They are basically saying they know he's a bust based on limited preseason action and some injury history, and I don't buy they know what they're talking about. "

Have you read any of the reports that are suggesting this move was based as much, if not moreso, on his attitude and lack of professionalism (which could easily include lack of effort in practice and/or meetings) than anything?

You're making quite a few assumptions and assigning blame with very limited knowledge on what actually went down.

I did read that, however, this is on Grigson for not figuring it out in the interview process. If he has an attitude or lack of professionalism, you work with it. He's a high pick, we aren't in a position to cut high picks because of little things like that. I'm really not too upset, just annoyed more than anything. He's unknown currency, and I would like to see him in a real game or two before cutting him. Seems like an overreaction. 

47 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

... make sure he's a bust on the field for at least a season before cutting him.

He has never been healthy for the Colts, is still not healthy, and THE Colts are apparently tired of waiting for him to get healthy. And there is no Health Light at the end of the Smith tunnel.

As Mike Zimmer, John Fox, and likely many other coaches have said-

"You can't make the club in a tub."

stories about other items may well be true as we could have stashed Smith on IR for the year... and chose not to.  Very telling to me.

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

He has never been healthy for the Colts, is still not healthy, and THE Colts are apparently tired of waiting for him to get healthy. And there is no Health Light at the end of the Smith tunnel.

I read he has a high ankle sprain and would be healthy in a couple weeks. If that's not true, and he's out most of the season, then we're talking something different. I'd like to know exactly how long he's going to be out though, lol.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I read he has a high ankle sprain and would be healthy in a couple weeks. If that's not true, and he's out most of the season, then we're talking something different. I'd like to know exactly how long he's going to be out though, lol.

Which would prove to me even more they just want him gone.  If he clears waivers (and I bet he will) then he goes on the Colts IR  (and they could have just put him there all  along).  Now the Colts will have 5 days to get an injury settlement in place.  If D'Joun's injury would only have him out only a few weeks then the Colts may offer a months salary or slightly more  as a parting gift toward his free agency and relieve the Colts of his contract and rights.  Smith can then try to sign and play with another squad.

If he lands on IR and doesn't accept an injury settlement, he gets paid every week 1/17th of his salary.  But the interesting thing is, I don't think you have to declare an IR designation to return this year. But I doubt Smith would get that and it would be saved for someone more important and established as necessary.

Just now, ColtsBlueFL said:

Which would prove to me even more they just want him gone.  If he clears waivers (and I bet he will) then he goes on the Colts IR  (and they could have just put him there all  along).  Now the Colts will have 5 days to get an injury settlement in place.  If D'Joun's injury would only have him out only a few weeks then the Colts may offer a months salary or slightly more  as a parting gift toward his free agency and relieve the Colts of his contract and rights.  Smith can then try to sign and play with another squad.

If he lands on IR and doesn't accept an injury settlement, he gets paid every week 1/17th of his salary.  But the interesting thing is, I don't think you have to declare an IR designation to return this year. But I doubt Smith would get that and it would be saved for someone more important and established as necessary.

If he's only going to be out a couple weeks, he won't clear waivers, so I think it's more likely he's out longer. Again, it's tough not having all the info. It won't kill us, but It will hurt with Vontae gone as well. Hate losing high picks like this. Injuries always create weird circumstances. I'm interested to see the final cuts at CB. 

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If he's only going to be out a couple weeks, he won't clear waivers, so I think it's more likely he's out longer. Again, it's tough not having all the info. It won't kill us, but It will hurt with Vontae gone as well. Hate losing high picks like this. Injuries always create weird circumstances. I'm interested to see the final cuts at CB. 

According to Pagano, the knee is finally OK, but he got rolled up on his ankle and he is rehabbing, and they are cutting him with an Injury designation.  If (when) he clears waivers today, the Colts will place him on their IR.  Smiths agent will want an injury settlement if Smith can actually get healthy (LOL!!!) and play this year.  He'll insist on a bit more $$  than the the paycheck during the time Smith expected to be out in rehab.  That's how it works.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Injuries-Lead-To-Colts-Waiving-Cornerback-D’Joun-Smith-/0d9c62cc-a541-4311-82a5-91c698da6a68

4 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

According to Pagano, the knee is finally OK, but he got rolled up on his ankle and he is rehabbing, and they are cutting him with an Injury designation.  If (when) he clears waivers today, the Colts will place him on their IR.  Smiths agent will want an injury settlement if Smith can actually get healthy (LOL!!!) and play this year.  He'll insist on a bit more $$  than the the paycheck during the time Smith expected to be out in rehab.  That's how it works.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Injuries-Lead-To-Colts-Waiving-Cornerback-D’Joun-Smith-/0d9c62cc-a541-4311-82a5-91c698da6a68

Geez, 9 CBs still out of 74 players. This is a problem. I'll wait to see what happens. Still scared of D'Joun getting claimed though.

7 hours ago, akcolt said:

It looks like Robinson is going free up Dontae Johnson. I really wanted Robinson in the draft but Johnson will work. 6'2 200lbs had a solid rookie year looked like the 49ers future at CB had a bit of a sophomore slump. The fact he's played all over the field is appealing given our current situation. He's the guy I'm looking at.That Mario Butler the Bills cut played a good game vs us last year. I remember him not sure what else he has done. Good size. 

No one knows what Cromartie has left or how long Vontae will sit but unless it's good news I would look at Rowe for a 6th. That's the rumor Philly wants a 5th or 6th. I think I would take a long look if the news was all good. We have had so much success with former Eagle's.

Rowe was toasted by Megatron Thanksgiving day but he played well after that. He only gave up 1 td the rest of the way. He only gave up an 80 passer rating when targeted compared to Butlers 118.7.  Brady came after him from the first snap. Rowe broke up a deep one. Brady threw it at him 12 or 14x's only 4 completions. I liked him coming out last year. 

We need CB's in a bad way. Davis isn't getting any younger. It doesn't look like we have a young guy on the roster who can stay on the field and cover. I thought we should have went Hall or Robinson in the 4th or looked even sooner. I was surprised we didn't take a CB this year. Rowe was a 2nd if Philly will take 6th and a bag of chips why not?

We will be rewarded with more Butler otherwise. The guys we brought in couldn't have been more disappointing this year. I had some hope for a couple. Can anyone count on Mitchel or Smith? That's a mess we don't need to mess with. I wouldn't mind signing Johnson and trading for Rowe. Robinson could live in the slot. 

Megatron toasted alot of dudes . Playing well after that says alot IMHO..

14 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Pretty interesting considering Polian and his reputation. I have forever been preaching that Polian jumped on Mannings back and road him like a bronco. Year after year we made the playoffs just to get beat because of no depth or balance.

Polian had a get of jail free card because of who he was with a lot of Colt fans.

Do I think Grigson has a future any better or worse than Polian? I have no clue, It's too early to tell one way or another.

Thank you for your common sense . For many armchair GM's who love to give there opinions common sense is not so common .

I believe if many were to judge Grigson by his 4 years of regular season play against Polians first 4 they would have to admit Grigson has done pretty good .

IMHO it is further proof that some are just being hard headed haters & Can't handle the truth . 

7 hours ago, BOTT said:

Trust me, I know the foibles of Polian's later years drafting, I was pointing it out at the time. I admit that I hadn't realized it was nothing special throughout his tenure.  But that still doesn't excuse Grigson.

Okay :D have you at least compared the first 4 years of both ?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time I respect your opinion I just believe that the first 4 really do need to be taken into account . since 1984 we have seen some very bad seasons Jim harbaugh & our Cardiac Colts were a Roller Coaster ride many of us can never forget it was heart breaking in the AFC Championship game &.

When in 1998 we drafted Peyton Manning we then felt our future was in good hands because Polian had made IMO the obvious choice it was slow in the beginning but with hindsight all the pain was washed away when 18 started getting into the second season,

" Like Mora said PLAYOFFS "  it was what we COLTS fans had waited for a long time , While we had many early exits we finally had the opportunity .

Given that when you look at the progress on Luck led teams you realize we are on the precipice of something special once again we are close , IMHO closer than many realize if you want to call it shooting for the stars thats fine I do believe there in reach .

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I did read that, however, this is on Grigson for not figuring it out in the interview process.

Ideally, yes but some people put up a really good fake front and do a great job of telling people what they want to hear. 

"If he has an attitude or lack of professionalism, you work with it. He's a high pick, we aren't in a position to cut high picks because of little things like that."

Well, again without knowing any of the specifics you have no idea how big or little the issue was. Considering how thin the Colts are in the secondary I have to believe the issue was rather substantial for them to have cut him.

1 hour ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Okay :D have you at least compared the first 4 years of both ?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time I respect your opinion I just believe that the first 4 really do need to be taken into account . since 1984 we have seen some very bad seasons Jim harbaugh & our Cardiac Colts were a Roller Coaster ride many of us can never forget it was heart breaking in the AFC Championship game &.

When in 1998 we drafted Peyton Manning we then felt our future was in good hands because Polian had made IMO the obvious choice it was slow in the beginning but with hindsight all the pain was washed away when 18 started getting into the second season,

" Like Mora said PLAYOFFS "  it was what we COLTS fans had waited for a long time , While we had many early exits we finally had the opportunity .

Given that when you look at the progress on Luck led teams you realize we are on the precipice of something special once again we are close , IMHO closer than many realize if you want to call it shooting for the stars thats fine I do believe there in reach .

I did look at Polian's first four years and that's why I said his tenure was nothing special.  But again, I'm not of mind to say "just because X was nothing special it's ok for Y.

really, it's not even that Grigson has missed in FA and the draft, it's some of the players he missed on......Werner, TRich, Laron Landry, RJF, a bummed knee Cherilus, etc....I don't get what he ever saw.

8 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I did read that, however, this is on Grigson for not figuring it out in the interview process. If he has an attitude or lack of professionalism, you work with it. He's a high pick, we aren't in a position to cut high picks because of little things like that. I'm really not too upset, just annoyed more than anything. He's unknown currency, and I would like to see him in a real game or two before cutting him. Seems like an overreaction. 

I believe the stories that were out there when we picked Smith said he had a very, very good attitude.   That his coaches talked him up.      That we were impressed with him during the interview process.

If he's got problems since we drafted him, he wouldn't be the first draft pick to do/say one thing during the process and do another thing once he gets drafted.       That happens with young kids,  especially when they get serious money for the first time and their out on their own.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I believe the stories that were out there when we picked Smith said he had a very, very good attitude.   That his coaches talked him up.      That we were impressed with him during the interview process.

If he's got problems since we drafted him, he wouldn't be the first draft pick to do/say one thing during the process and do another thing once he gets drafted.       That happens with young kids,  especially when they get serious money for the first time and their out on their own.

It'd be unfortunate if we lost him that quick. Luckily, most of the draft class is working out well. I guess I'm a bit more stubborn with the draftees as I believe wholeheartedly that you build a team through the draft, and ironically, Grigson confirmed that more with solid drafting and horrible FA signings, lol. We'll see if we get him back.

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It'd be unfortunate if we lost him that quick. Luckily, most of the draft class is working out well. I guess I'm a bit more stubborn with the draftees as I believe wholeheartedly that you build a team through the draft, and ironically, Grigson confirmed that more with solid drafting and horrible FA signings, lol. We'll see if we get him back.

I tried to be more gentle breaking the news earlier.  Now I just say this-

17 hours ago, Cynjin said:

What you are saying is complete supposition.  You have no idea what Reggie would have brought to the team.  As far as him being signed by the Pats and the lack of production by Johnson.  Reggie didn't last very long with the Pats, did he? Johnson was seen as a upgrade over Reggie at the time he signed with the Colts, hindsight is 20/20.

What you are saying is complete supposition.  I gave you supporting information.  He obviously had chemistry with our team.  At his worst with our team he was better than what Johnson ultimately gave us.  Johnson wasn't resigned by his team, which at worst equals that Reggie wasn't resigned by the Colts.  I say worst because it was injury that slowed Reggie at the end of his time with the Colts, but Johnson was healthy and was still cast off from the Texans.  Reggie also CHOSE to leave the Patriots as he said he wasn't having fun playing there.   He wasn't cut by them, they intended to use him.   As for seeing Johnson as an upgrade, many of us disagreed when it was happening.  We were against signing Johnson and against abandoning Reggie to the Patriots.  We were certainly proven right about Johnson.  Apparently you didn't believe in Reggie.  I did,  We disagree.  I think I am offering significantly more justification to have kept Reggie that last year (not to mention that they could have easily cut him in camp if he couldn't prove it on the field, there was no harm in that).  It proves that Grigson didn't want Reggie no matter what he had left and didn't want to give people a chance to see he still had enough left to contribute.  His leadership alone was quite valuable and would have helped Moncrief and Dorsett just as he had helped TY.  He would have been better than the back end of our receivers last year.   I don't believe there is any evidence to dispute it.  

18 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Well gosh, if he was as solid as you suggest., why did they cut him loose? 

5 hours ago, JPFolks said:

What you are saying is complete supposition.  I gave you supporting information.  He obviously had chemistry with our team.  At his worst with our team he was better than what Johnson ultimately gave us.  Johnson wasn't resigned by his team, which at worst equals that Reggie wasn't resigned by the Colts.  I say worst because it was injury that slowed Reggie at the end of his time with the Colts, but Johnson was healthy and was still cast off from the Texans.  Reggie also CHOSE to leave the Patriots as he said he wasn't having fun playing there.   He wasn't cut by them, they intended to use him.   As for seeing Johnson as an upgrade, many of us disagreed when it was happening.  We were against signing Johnson and against abandoning Reggie to the Patriots.  We were certainly proven right about Johnson.  Apparently you didn't believe in Reggie.  I did,  We disagree.  I think I am offering significantly more justification to have kept Reggie that last year (not to mention that they could have easily cut him in camp if he couldn't prove it on the field, there was no harm in that).  It proves that Grigson didn't want Reggie no matter what he had left and didn't want to give people a chance to see he still had enough left to contribute.  His leadership alone was quite valuable and would have helped Moncrief and Dorsett just as he had helped TY.  He would have been better than the back end of our receivers last year.   I don't believe there is any evidence to dispute it.  

Actually, what I said was not supposition.  You may want to look up the definition.

On 9/3/2016 at 0:18 PM, austriancolt said:

so another grigson bust... hope we get a new general manager at the end of this season. 

Irsay just extended grigson.  He's not going to turn around and fire him at the end of this season without something far more catastrophic happening than a 3rd round pick with a bad attitude being cut.

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Look at how quickly the Pats cut bait with Dom Easley. 

It's not ideal, but it sounds like Smith wasn't committed to the job. Lots of down time for what seemed like non severe injuries, maybe he wasn't putting in the work to get healthy. Either way, for the Colts to go from drafting him early in the third to pushing him out the door in basically 18 months, they have to feel strongly that he's not a good fit for the team. We'll probably never know the specifics, but I'm sure it's something they took seriously before they got rid of him.

29 minutes ago, Superman said:

Look at how quickly the Pats cut bait with Dom Easley. 

It's not ideal, but it sounds like Smith wasn't committed to the job. Lots of down time for what seemed like non severe injuries, maybe he wasn't putting in the work to get healthy. Either way, for the Colts to go from drafting him early in the third to pushing him out the door in basically 18 months, they have to feel strongly that he's not a good fit for the team. We'll probably never know the specifics, but I'm sure it's something they took seriously before they got rid of him.

You probably knows this,  but for those who don't,  it's my understanding that if Smith clears waivers and is not claimed by anyone else then we're keeping him and putting him on IR.

So,  while we may be down on Smith,  it sounds like we're not ready to cut ties with him completely just yet.

I remain modestly......      hopeful.

On 9/3/2016 at 11:44 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

stories about other items may well be true as we could have stashed Smith on IR for the year... and chose not to.  Very telling to me.

Yeah, too bad.... but if you can't stay on the field, you can't stay on the team.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You probably knows this,  but for those who don't,  it's my understanding that if Smith clears waivers and is not claimed by anyone else then we're keeping him and putting him on IR.

So,  while we may be down on Smith,  it sounds like we're not ready to cut ties with him completely just yet.

Could be, but I've heard they'll probably go with an injury settlement.  He then becomes a FA.   

I just don't understand how his "attitude" could get him cut, if that's the truth.  Maybe it will be a wake up call for him.  

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He would go to the Colts IR, if unclaimed (which he was evidently not claimed, or else we would know by now). But the Colts can -- and likely will -- reach an injury settlement with him within the next five days, and he'll be come a free agent. 

They could have simply IR'd him at this point. Once the cut to 75 is done, even non vested veterans can be placed directly on IR without being exposed to waivers. That they waive-injured him indicates that they're willing to get rid of him. He's not healthy, so they can't just waive him, but that they exposed him to waivers when they didn't have to says something. So I figure he'll be gone within a few days, unless something changes.

13 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Reggie was beyond washed up.  Johnson will be a solid asset for the Titans This Year.