Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BR ranks Vontae the 39th ranked cornerback

12isthenew18

8 minutes ago, 12isthenew18 said:

This is disrespectful

To quote our famous quarterback "Such is life"....I don't think anyone thinks bleacher report is the end all be all evaluator of talent. He definitely had a down year this year but I can't think of more than a handful of corners I'd rather have...and probably none for the money he is making. If anything maybe this will just put a chip on his shoulder...I'd cut it out and put it in his locker for motivation. Much to do about nothing really though.

38 minutes ago, MPStack said:

They are the TMZ of sports sites. 

I hate TMZ and try to avoid them as much as I can, but they're actually one of the most reliable sources.  When they report something, in sports at least, it is usually backed up pretty well from what I've seen.  Again, I hate them, but they do their fact-checking before reporting anything.

11 hours ago, Pagano's Realtor said:

Bleacher Report just put him 39th so they could get 38 more clicks from everyone to see who's ahead of him. I wouldn't take it too personal, the article was probably created in a dorm room at some state school between games of FIFA and beer pong.

I lold. Thanks. You're probably right.

On 3/30/2016 at 2:21 PM, dgambill said:

To quote our famous quarterback "Such is life"....I don't think anyone thinks bleacher report is the end all be all evaluator of talent. He definitely had a down year this year but I can't think of more than a handful of corners I'd rather have...and probably none for the money he is making. If anything maybe this will just put a chip on his shoulder...I'd cut it out and put it in his locker for motivation. Much to do about nothing really though.

On 3/30/2016 at 2:29 PM, OffensivelyPC said:

He did have a tough year last year.

On 3/30/2016 at 2:30 PM, Boiler_Colt said:

Wasn't he like near the top of their rankings the year before? By his own standards he was pretty poor last year, but I don't think he was healthy.

Two things that can help a CB the most are (1) a legitimate pass-rush and (2) solid support in the secondary.

Vontae had neither last year.  We were 22nd in the league with 35 sacks, and if I can remember there were multiple games where we had 0 sacks.

Not a lot of DBs in this league (if any) can cover a WR with the WR-friendly rules in this league without a pass rush or at least the threat of a pass rush.  The lack of pass rush can make a good DB look worse than he truly is and the presence of pass rush can make an average or good DB look much better than he really is (e.g., I don't think Chris Harris or Aqib Talib are as good as Vontae, but they also did not have to cover their men nearly as long as Vontae or deal with QBs throwing balls with no pressure in their face last year with the league's best pass rush).

Also, having help in the secondary can improve a DB's play.  Look at the Seahawks' 'Legion of Boom' from a few years back for example.  Other than Adams (who I still think is overrated) we had average to below-average performances from the rest of our secondary for the majority of last year.

Give Vontae a pass-rush and I guarantee he looks much better next year.

4 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Two things that can help a CB the most are (1) a legitimate pass-rush and (2) solid support in the secondary.

Vontae had neither last year.  We were 22nd in the league with 35 sacks, and if I can remember there were multiple games where we had 0 sacks.

Not a lot of DBs in this league (if any) can cover a WR with the WR-friendly rules in this league without a pass rush or at least the threat of a pass rush.  The lack of pass rush can make a good DB look worse than he truly is and the presence of pass rush can make an average or good DB look much better than he really is (e.g., I don't think Chris Harris or Aqib Talib are as good as Vontae, but they also did not have to cover their men nearly as long as Vontae or deal with QBs throwing balls with no pressure in their face last year with the league's best pass rush).

Also, having help in the secondary can improve a DB's play.  Look at the Seahawks' 'Legion of Boom' from a few years back for example.  Other than Adams (who I still think is overrated) we had average to below-average performances from the rest of our secondary for the majority of last year.

Give Vontae a pass-rush and I guarantee he looks much better next year.

I agree with all that, but he didnt have a pass rush the year before either and still played better. Hes still a top 5 talent, just had an off year last year as did a lot of guys. Not having Luck took a lot of wind out of our sails.

On March 30, 2016 at 2:27 PM, indyagent17 said:

Bleacher Report ticks me off me off more than any other NFL blog, they like to create nonsensical issues to create a buzz. So end the end, who cares. We all know Davis is not the 39th best CB in the league. 

Yeah duh!! He's the 40th.

:lol:

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I agree with all that, but he didnt have a pass rush the year before either and still played better. Hes still a top 5 talent, just had an off year last year as did a lot of guys. Not having Luck took a lot of wind out of our sails.

We were 9th in the NFL in sacks in 2014, and our secondary (in particular Toler, who played 15 games) played much better then. 

We were 22nd in the NFL in the NFL in sacks in 2015, and Toler only played 10 games. While it is debatable as to whether Lowery or Sergio Brown/Landry was better, Adams was mostly the same -- our 2nd/slot CB were much more unstable.

Not having Luck in 2015 could have been a reason for our lack of pass rush in 2015 -- I have said this all along -- if Mathis and/or Freeney ever get inducted to the HOF, the first person they should thank is Peyton, because he allowed them to focus on primarily one thing (i.e., rushing the passer, because we were such a dangerous offense) for most of their career.

12 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

We were 9th in the NFL in sacks in 2014, and our secondary (in particular Toler, who played 15 games) played much better then. 

We were 22nd in the NFL in the NFL in sacks in 2015, and Toler only played 10 games. While it is debatable as to whether Lowery or Sergio Brown/Landry was better, Adams was mostly the same -- our 2nd/slot CB were much more unstable.

Not having Luck in 2015 could have been a reason for our lack of pass rush in 2015 -- I have said this all along -- if Mathis and/or Freeney ever get inducted to the HOF, the first person they should thank is Peyton, because he allowed them to focus on primarily one thing (i.e., rushing the passer, because we were such a dangerous offense) for most of their career.

I didn't think there was that much of a difference from 2014 to 2015, but I double checked and you are right.  Thought I had already looked that up at some point and but for fact checking, I would have taken that to the grave.  Thanks for clearing me up.