Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts not done addressing lackluster running game

lollygagger8

We should ,without hesitation, take Zeke if he is there.  In fact I could see us trading UP to get him.  Of course who would trade for the number one running back in the draft?   That's right  WE DID!  Yeah it didn't work out sooo.. we still have the same GM and coach who did it.  They both believe in running the football and stopping the run.  I'm not proposing it but I am also not ruling it out.  Who saw Dorsett coming?  Anything can happen. Be ready for a surprise. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

We should ,without hesitation, take Zeke if he is there.  In fact I could see us trading UP to get him.  Of course who would trade for the number one running back in the draft?   That's right  WE DID!  Yeah it didn't work out sooo.. we still have the same GM and coach who did it.  They both believe in running the football and stopping the run.  I'm not proposing it but I am also not ruling it out.  Who saw Dorsett coming?  Anything can happen. Be ready for a surprise. 

I think they believe in running the ball and stopping the run, but haven't had any solid results yet! Been waiting on that package for awhile now.

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

No way on Treadwell - but Zeke makes sense (and not just because I'm a Buckeye).

You have to admit, RB is a position of need going forward.  We can't just keep taking guys in the late rounds and hope they work out.  None have so far, right?  Definition of insanity and all that.

So, here's my argument - name any guy at any position you'd want in the first round, and I bet there's a guy who's going to be nearly just as good available in the second.

No one is going to be as good as Zeke in the second.  I don't want to get my hopes up because I think he'll be gone before our pick.  But if we took him, my head would explode from happiness.

Ballard was a good player, just had injuries.

you have to be a buckeye fan.

1 hour ago, jim scheurich said:

O-line has yet to prove they can block consistently. Half the time looks like a good play, gets called back for holding.

Yeah... was pretty frustrating. Seemed to subside a bit at the end of the year . Early on saying "half the time " s giving them a break.

Some people have really hit the nail on the head saying Zeke is basically in a class of his own in this draft. He is honestly the only true starting 3 down running back in this draft for me. I think everyone else looks to be more like 2nd string Rb. I really like collins and booker but I don't think there as complete or talented. If elliot is there at 18 no doubt in my mind we take him and I'll be estatic. However I highly highly doubt he is I imagain he will go before the 10th pick. I beleive if we don't get him we won't pick up a RB this draft and wait until next year

2 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I wonder if we DID manage to get Elliot in the 1st round, would we keep or cut Gore and if we did cut Gore, how much would we save? 

Even if we saved a bunch of money, why would we cut Gore? He was one of the few bright spots we had last year. 

3 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Even if we saved a bunch of money, why would we cut Gore? He was one of the few bright spots we had last year. 

he had some fumble and drop issues and still failed to rush for 100 in a game or 1000 for the season...he was pedestrian....

21 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Colts take running back in the 1st round. This forum will explode.

I won't.  Even though I'm not a fan of RB's in the first round, if there is a true 'game changer' available to you in round one, and he grades notably higher than the other available players at that draft pick, then you have to go with him.  This is the way successful teams roll.  Stock your roster with game changers or game wreckers.  Then fill 'needs'. Now if there is a game changer/wrecker also available in a position of 'need', then you must go there first. 

This is why I wasn't and still not upset about Phillip Dorsett pick last year.  As long as he does turn into the game changer the Colts expect him to be on our roster!.  And that journey begins in earnest this year for Dorsett.

4 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I wonder if we DID manage to get Elliot in the 1st round, would we keep or cut Gore and if we did cut Gore, how much would we save? 

We would keep Gore.  College seasons are much shorter, so their first year in the NFL, most all rookies hit a 'wall' during the 17 week grueling schedule.Gore needs to be on a pitch counts, and Elliot would need to be as well.  2 back tandem working in synch, IMO.  But it seems he won't be there at 18, and I'm not a fan of trading up unless it is into the top 10 (would cost a Kings ransom) and the pick has to be a sure fire guaranteed Game Changer / Wrecker.  And those don't seem to exist, much like Rainbow butterfly unicorn kittens.

Oh wait!  -omg-  803u2cg.png

13 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I won't.  Even though I'm not a fan of RB's in the first round, if there is a true 'game changer' available to you in round one, and he grades notably higher than the other available players at that draft pick, then you have to go with him.  This is the way successful teams roll.  Stock your roster with game changers or game wreckers.  Then fill 'needs'. Now if there is a game changer/wrecker also available in a position of 'need', then you must go there first. 

This is why I wasn't and still not upset about Phillip Dorsett pick last year.  As long as he does turn into the game changer the Colts expect him to be on our roster!.  And that journey begins in earnest this year for Dorsett.

Game changing 1st round pick that is 4th on the depth chart. lol

10 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I agree if they believe there is the next Lynch Revis or Watt there you take them position doesn't matter if there is a game changer available you take them .

6 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Game changing 1st round pick that is 4th on the depth chart. lol

Game changers don't always fulfill it in the first year (speed of the game learning playbooks 2-3x what they had in college etc...).  Our WR corps were set before the draft.  Dorsett popped up.  He cant do the above in time to unseat vets, but his job was to learn and get some reps later in the year.

This year, the depth chart isn't set yet-

http://www.colts.com/team/depth-chart.html

I hope by the end of training camp, he is par with T.Y. and Moncreif.  They all have to learn a new offensive playbook (Chudzinski had to use Pep's last year with just a couple of his favorite plays sprinkled in).  o Phillips isn't behind the vets in that area this year and he's seen the level of NFL defenses.  I expect people will see why T.Y. and Donte (as good as they are) were taken in round 3 and Dorsett was grabbed in round 1.  If not, then we can pin the round one fail moniker on Grigson resume once more...

14 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Game changers don't always fulfill it in the first year (speed of the game learning playbooks 2-3x what they had in college etc...).  Our WR corps were set before the draft.  Dorsett popped up.  He cant do the above in time to unseat vets, but his job was to learn and get some reps later in the year.

This year, the depth chart isn't set yet-

http://www.colts.com/team/depth-chart.html

I hope by the end of training camp, he is par with T.Y. and Moncreif.  They all have to learn a new offensive playbook (Chudzinski had to use Pep's last year with just a couple of his favorite plays sprinkled in).  o Phillips isn't behind the vets in that area this year and he's seen the level of NFL defenses.  I expect people will see why T.Y. and Donte (as good as they are) were taken in round 3 and Dorsett was grabbed in round 1.  If not, then we can pin the round one fail moniker on Grigson resume once more...

That's true and all but it was a bad pick. Not saying Dorsett isn't good or trying to knock him but my eyes are open. We can discuss it all we want but he's the one going to be playing. So I'm just going to watch and see how it turns out. 

51 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Who's in front of him besides TY and Moncrief?

Hopefully all 3 of those guys are on par with each other at a very high level.  All offense has to learn a new playbook this year, so they start out on equal footing.  Let's see who picks it up better than the others...

48 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Nobody

Exactly.  and maybe not one or either by years end it goes incredibly well for the Colts and Dorsett.

Dorsett's going to breakout this year. IMO. He's going to be a star and be apart of the best receiving corps in the NFL. But back to the subject. We can get a very good "feature" back in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. Dixon, Prosise, Williams, Collins, Howard, or Perkins. Henry's got bust written all over him, but anyways, I think a guy like Kenneth Dixon can be a very good back. Maybe not as good as Elliott. But I'd rather get a cornerstone defensive player in the 1st and still get a very good, but maybe not elite back in the 2nd or 3rd.

5 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

he had some fumble and drop issues and still failed to rush for 100 in a game or 1000 for the season...he was pedestrian.... he rushed for a whopping 3.7 yards per carry, and 60.4 yards per game with 4 fumbles, 3 of which he lost.  I know he had some critical drops as well, though I didn't find a stat (I imagine someone else can look that up).  A couple of his lost fumbles cost us at least one or two games.  He's 32 and naturally is losing a step.  He'd be a great mentor for Elliot if he miraculously dropped to 18 (which is unlikely) but beyond that he is not the answer.   

5 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

he had some fumble and drop issues and still failed to rush for 100 in a game or 1000 for the season...he was pedestrian.... he rushed for a whopping 3.7 yards per carry, and 60.4 yards per game with 4 fumbles, 3 of which he lost.  I know he had some critical drops as well, though I didn't find a stat (I imagine someone else can look that up).  A couple of his lost fumbles cost us at least one or two games.  He's 32 and naturally is losing a step.  He'd be a great mentor for Elliot if he miraculously dropped to 18 (which is unlikely) but beyond that he is not the answer.   

Yeah Gore had some ball handling problems, Colts didn't play him as their only RB. They tried to save him from excessive wear and tear. Plus New team, and getting the ball from different QB's all the time. I think Gore is still pretty solid.