Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts not done addressing lackluster running game

lollygagger8

17 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

So you Don't Want a Elite player that will contribute,possibly Dominate right away?

I want an elite OL that can protect our franchise! And build a defense that can 

actually stop somebody like the teams who make it to the SB. 

It's not that I don't like Elliot. We just have WAY to many holes to fill. Picking a rb in the first would be a huge mistake IMO! 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

It's not that I don't like Elliot. We just have WAY to many holes to fill. Picking a rb in the first would be a huge mistake IMO! 

I respectfully disagree. Of course I do agree we have many holes BUT they all can't be fixed with our 1st round pick. A elite RB, imo, can help more than any one defensive lineman or one  linebacker or  one offensive lineman. A elite rb can help our running game which would slow down opposing teams from blitzing and getting Luck killed. It would also help our passing game as defenses would have to play more honest.

We've had average and mostly below average RB's & OLines way too long. Which is why we havn't had a 1,000 yd rusher or 100 yard game since Abraham Lincoln was President, Lol. We need to change that.

Zeke has been compared to Edge. If he truly is at that level, I think he would help the team more than any other pick. And he would right away just like Edge did.

10 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I respectfully disagree. Of course I do agree we have many holes BUT they all can't be fixed with our 1st round pick. A elite RB, imo, can help more than any one defensive lineman or one  linebacker or  one offensive lineman. A elite rb can help our running game which would slow down opposing teams from blitzing and getting Luck killed. It would also help our passing game as defenses would have to play more honest.

We've had average and mostly below average RB's & OLines way too long. Which is why we havn't had a 1,000 yd rusher or 100 yard game since Abraham Lincoln was President, Lol. We need to change that.

Zeke has been compared to Edge. If he truly is at that level, I think he would help the team more than any other pick. And he would right away just like Edge did.

You would take an elite RB over an elite LT or elite pass rusher?  Wow

4 hours ago, BOTT said:

We're Drafting at 18, not top 5.

We have a LT remember? And the Colts keep talking about how good Goode is/will be at RT,so I doubt their drafting a T in round 1. Which pass rusher do you think will  be available at 18 that will help more than a elite RB?

I gave my reasons above why a better run game would help Luck's health and our passing game. Griggs also said a elite back would be hard to pass up should he be available, which is the reason this thread was started.

I doubt it matters anyway because I think Zeke will be gone before we pick.

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

We have a LT remember? And the Colts keep talking about how good Goode is/will be at RT,so I doubt their drafting a T in round 1. Which pass rusher do you think will long be available at 18 that will help more than a elite RB?

I gave my reasons above why a better run game would help Luck's health and our passing game. Griggs also said a elite back would be hard to pass up should he be available, which is the reason this thread was started.

Zeke will almost certainly be gone before our pick.  I agree with this post 100%. This is a weak pass rusher class, in terms of elite talent. The Colts like Goode at either RT or RG. They wouldn't have mentioned guard as an option if they weren't thinking about it. I think they'll probably take a C and a "swing" tackle. They'll have an open competition for RG/RT and with Philbin calling the shots I'd be just fine with that. 

Based on the talent in this draft class and where players are projected to be available, I'd like to see us solidify our O-Line and either D-Line or LB corps. Obviously the elite OLBs aren't included, but stealing Jaylon Smith and pulling either Scooby or Su'a would be great for our future IMO.

I'm a big proponent of trading back and getting as many 2nd and 3rd or 2017 picks as possible, but to get back to my original point of this post, we don't pass on Elliot if he's there. Period. He improves/solidifies the RB spot AND adds above average pass protection. Him and Gore could save each other by sharing carries.

39 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

We have a LT remember? And the Colts keep talking about how good Goode is/will be at RT,so I doubt their drafting a T in round 1. Which pass rusher do you think will  be available at 18 that will help more than a elite RB?

I thought you meant overall, not just this draft.

i agree with how a run game can help the offense.  I just don't agree how you get there.

On 3/25/2016 at 8:34 AM, Hoosiernsavga said:

the board has to fall a certain way for this to work.  what if decker and conklin(sp?) are gone at 18.  somebody on D will be there but the talent is mostly at DT in this class

elliot's stock seems to be rising anyway, good chance he isnt there unless we trade up

On 3/24/2016 at 11:24 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

I won't.  Even though I'm not a fan of RB's in the first round, if there is a true 'game changer' available to you in round one, and he grades notably higher than the other available players at that draft pick, then you have to go with him.  This is the way successful teams roll.  Stock your roster with game changers or game wreckers.  Then fill 'needs'. Now if there is a game changer/wrecker also available in a position of 'need', then you must go there first. 

This is why I wasn't and still not upset about Phillip Dorsett pick last year.  As long as he does turn into the game changer the Colts expect him to be on our roster!.  And that journey begins in earnest this year for Dorsett.

Didn't mean to quote this, sorry!

15 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

The fact that the elite tackles and pass rushers are gone by 18 but runners are still there kind of says something to the importance Of all three positions, no?

33 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Didn't mean to quote this, sorry!

The fact that the elite tackles and pass rushers are gone by 18 but runners are still there kind of says something to the importance Of all three positions, no?

Indeed.  I think everyone agrees gets it-  Franchise QB first, then protect his blind side (LT).  Then get a guy that gets after the other guys QB !!  And then you get...   all the way down the line. Yes most are aware of such a hierarchy.  Yet a game changer at a lower tier can be a better pick than the above average/very good higher tiered / need position.  That's why there is a big board, and a needs board.  If what is on the Big Board is notably better than what is on your needs draft board, then you have to go there and take him.  And teams will call it BPA, and staying true to their scouts / draft board.

Now whether teams grade Elliot higher than Spence / Floyd (hypothetical take here) enough to take him, IDK.  But what if Spence and Floyd go off the board quick?  Now how does Zeke look compared to the leftover pass rushers...   ???  What does the Big Board say now? This is what teams / GM's face on draft day.

On March 23, 2016 at 2:25 PM, MarquisJ said:

hope we dont waste a 1st round on a runningback this year like seriously runningbacks you can get anywhere shesh even boom herron was good for us and idc if we had AP we need to fix our OL  so we can be able to run... look what mcfadden did for the cowboys.. he wouldnt put those numbers up with us!! its theOL.. ik hes not saying hes going rb first round but id atleast wait till next year when the "year of the runningbacks" class is here to get a RB im fine with what we have with the new additions fix the OL

Boom Herron ? I don't think he hit 100 yards in a game that's sad . We need a Rb very bad . If anyone wants a Super Bowl this year we take Elliot . I doubt he's there at 18 , but will depend on frank gore a guy who was ran to death

40 minutes ago, riftastic28 said:

Boom Herron ? I don't think he hit 100 yards in a game that's sad . We need a Rb very bad . If anyone wants a Super Bowl this year we take Elliot . I doubt he's there at 18 , but will depend on frank gore a guy who was ran to death

Oh yeah, it's the RB position that is holding the colts back......

On 3/26/2016 at 8:04 PM, BOTT said:

but we have a LT and i dont know if any pass rusher in this class can be called elite 

12 hours ago, BOTT said:

Oh yeah, it's the RB position that is holding the colts back......

it kind of is, though its not the biggest problem.  gore was like 38th in ypc, the line wasnt great, but even if they were it wouldnt fix gore being slow.  if you put any faith in pff like 17 teams had worse lines

Fans honestly believe a RB in the 1st round will solve problems?  Trent was a HUGE prospect and we got him in his 2nd season (#3 overall... Trashed).  This team does NOT need to spend a top 3 (round) pick on an overrated position, like RB.  A dominant OL will make an average QB or RB look good.  It's much harder for a GREAT RB to make an average (or below), OL look good.  This is the NFL, not College.  RB's don't brush off 4-6 tackles regularly as they take it to the house. 

This draft has ALOT of good OL going early in the draft.  I don't care if its C RG or RT, but we need one of them (unless there is a fantastic pass rusher available, in which there isn't many from the beginning).  We have some quality backups on the OL if we get 2 lineman early in the draft.  Reitz and Thornton are what they are.  Solid backups, although Reitz IMO could start and we would be okay.  Goode on the other hand isn't quite ready.  He would be fine as a backup though. 

Protecting Luck is the #1 priority, whether you like it or not!  Especially if Irsay plans on shelling out 120M.  This team isn't going anywhere without him.  Gore can grind out 1000 yards IF we have a solid OL, and the backup can easily get an additional 500 (KEYWORD:  IF)!  However, an elite back might get us only 1300 yards if he were to have a superb season.  Our offense is built around Andrew and the pass game.  HINT: we DON'T NEED a 1st RD. RB to carry us.  If we don't have an OL that WILL protect Luck, production of the total offense will be worse than if we had a stellar RB.

Priorities:

1 OL

1 OLB

1 OL

then perhaps a RB in the 4th or 5th round

Personally I would wait until next year to spend a high draft pick on a RB.  After we get a grip on the new ZBS and offense...

On 3/23/2016 at 0:29 PM, lollygagger8 said:

"With the 18th pick of the 2016 draft the Indianapolis Colts pick Ezekiel Elliott"

If that happens Colts fans will........

mind-blown.jpg

I think Ezekiel Elliot is the best player in this draft -- he can run, block, catch, etc...  personally would not mind seeing our offense with him and Gore for a year and then enjoying 5 or more years with him as our primary back.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

but we have a LT and i dont know if any pass rusher in this class can be called elite 

it kind of is, though its not the biggest problem.  gore was like 38th in ypc, the line wasnt great, but even if they were it wouldnt fix gore being slow.  if you put any faith in pff like 17 teams had worse lines

I realize....I thought he meant overall he would choose a RB over those other two positions.

Running back is FAR from the biggest problem.  The colts have the same problem they did when people were unfairly criticizing Joe Addai.....a below average line.  It could improve this yr with some new talent and the fact that Pep and the gang are gone.

16 hours ago, riftastic28 said:

Mary-Poppins.-Sigh.-Annoyed.-Exasperated

that's right...even Mary Poppins can't find anything good to say about that statement :P

On 3/23/2016 at 1:28 PM, QwizBoy said:

So Derrick Henry might sneak into the first round after all :P

I know you said this jokingly, but I would not be surprised at all if the Colts took Henry in the 1st.  Chud likes big running backs.  he had fought to get Jamal Lewis (5'11 245lbs) to the Browns and then he was a big reason the panthers used Stewart (5'11 235lbs) more in 2010.  I bet he is chomping at the bit at the possibility of getting Henry.

16 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I know you said this jokingly, but I would not be surprised at all if the Colts took Henry in the 1st.  Chud likes big running backs.  he had fought to get Jamal Lewis (5'11 245lbs) to the Browns and then he was a big reason the panthers used Stewart (5'11 235lbs) more in 2010.  I bet he is chomping at the bit at the possibility of getting Henry.

I would rather have this happen to me than see the Colts take a RB in the first round

1404848306_7_gigalol_pl.gif

22 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I wouldn't mind this development at all. The Colts are stocked at RB right now, and I don't think Henry is a first round talent. Of course this forum would probably crash for a week if it happened.

22 hours ago, QwizBoy said:

I wouldn't mind this development at all. The Colts are stocked at RB right now, and I don't think Henry is a first round talent. Of course this forum would probably crash for a week if it happened.

I wouldn't say the Colts are stocked at rb

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

I wouldn't say the Colts are stocked at rb

Gore, Varga, Turbin...I'm not saying any of them are world beaters or anything but they certainly have enough lined up to not have to be thinking that RB is the first place to look in the first round. It would be terrible if the Colts drafted another offensive skill player if they stay where they're at now. 

Rb, safety, and DT are secondary needs. Rb and safety in particular have older players starting who could fall off a cliff at any moment. They are solid on paper now but coming into next season we might be saying the opposite. I like gore and think he will have a decent year but I do think we need more of a home run threat at some point. 

Still the the first two rounds should be pass rushers and interior oline unless we have someone who we have highly rated that falls to our pick. I also believe corner is more of a need than rb and DT for this year.

27 minutes ago, Qcolts said:

Rb, safety, and DT are secondary needs. Rb and safety in particular have older players starting who could fall off a cliff at any moment. They are solid on paper now but coming into next season we might be saying the opposite. I like gore and think he will have a decent year but I do think we need more of a home run threat at some point. 

Still the the first two rounds should be pass rushers and interior oline unless we have someone who we have highly rated that falls to our pick. I also believe corner is more of a need than rb and DT for this year.

IMO RB is a need, but the Colts have alot needs everywhere. I think the Colts need to consider a RB at some point in the draft, but not round one. If folks feel good about an aging RB in Gore, have high hopes for Varga and think Turbin is going to be a great backup, well I beg to differ. I don`t get the love affair of Varga. He`s done nothing as of yet! 

On 3/29/2016 at 3:19 PM, Jason_S said:

Mary-Poppins.-Sigh.-Annoyed.-Exasperated

that's right...even Mary Poppins can't find anything good to say about that statement :P

i dont think this is a superbowl year, barring an amazing draft and break out years for nearly all of our young players.  i do think we have to get better at RB, possibly elite to make a run at it in the coming years though 

4th rounders or worse probably wont get it done

25 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i dont think this is a superbowl year, barring an amazing draft and break out years for nearly all of our young players.  i do think we have to get better at RB, possibly elite to make a run at it in the coming years though 

4th rounders or worse probably wont get it done

they will if we get the OL where it needs to be.

If we can get the OL fixed along with upgrading the running back position I feel our offense will be xplosive and that will go a long way into helping out our defense which should be better than last years group. The defense already has gotten instantly better by getting rid of Greg Toler.

On April 5, 2016 at 1:01 PM, krunk said:

If we can get the OL fixed along with upgrading the running back position I feel our offense will be xplosive and that will go a long way into helping out our defense which should be better than last years group. The defense already has gotten instantly better by getting rid of Greg Toler.

I really feel the O-line is the key to this team's success. We need to be able to run the football and dominate the trenches. This will allow our passing game to function better, and it will even improve our defense.