Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hugh Thornton down 28 pounds

Superman

I don't think he deserves another chance personally Supe. I know he has the potential to be a very good guard, but we shouldn't take a chance on him.. We could end up in the same situation as last year. I would definitely draft Garnett, Ifedi, or Whitehair if he's there in the 2nd. If Thornton were to out play whoever we draft, then we have a good problem. Having 3 good guards. I think its just too dangerous to go into the season with him penciled in as the starting RG.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

I doubt that they have him penciled in. But he's evidently working his butt off, and that's a good thing.

I guess I will say, why hasn't he dedicated himself in the prior years? This must be a contract year 

22 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I don't think he deserves another chance personally Supe. I know he has the potential to be a very good guard, but we shouldn't take a chance on him.. We could end up in the same situation as last year. I would definitely draft Garnett, Ifedi, or Whitehair if he's there in the 2nd. If Thornton were to out play whoever we draft, then we have a good problem. Having 3 good guards. I think its just too dangerous to go into the season with him penciled in as the starting RG.

He doesn't deserve a 2nd chance but has the potential to be a very good guard?  Umm, what??

I don't think it is dangerous to go into the season with anyone penciled in as the starter.  Isn't that the purpose of using pencil - so you can change your mind?  I don't think they are going into the draft and the rest of free agency with the idea of not doing anything at guard because they have him. 

8 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I guess I will say, why hasn't he dedicated himself in the prior years? This must be a contract year 

Your assumption that he hasn't dedicated himself in prior years is just an assumption. His injuries have probably affected his stamina as much as anything else.

And yes it is a contract year, and there's obviously a contract year phenomena that exists in the NFL, but it rarely benefits offensive linemen, so if he plays well for us in 2016, that's not a bad thing.

Also, the real point is that the team is switching to a blocking scheme that relies more on athletic interior blockers than the previous scheme did. If Thornton's offseason yields a more athletic player with more endurance, then that's a good thing for the Colts. 

Personally I am not okay with literally having done nothing to improve our line from last year. Obviously we still are early in free agency +the draft, so i don't want to hear about that. I just don't believe in seeing if Thornton, Holmes/snap fumble guy Harrison have improved. they're all terrible at protecting luck. 

11 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

This isn't to say he hasn't dedicated himself in prior years but due to the arrow pointing to OL scheme changes, he's made sure to put himself in a position to succeed. He doesn't need the extra weight to play in the zone scheme where as the man/power scheme the extra weight was justified.

The guy has shown flashes of being a very good OG but he would break down late in games. As Supe said, hopefully the weight loss will help with his endurance.

13 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

He doesn't deserve a 2nd chance but has the potential to be a very good guard?  Umm, what??

I don't think it is dangerous to go into the season with anyone penciled in as the starter.  Isn't that the purpose of using pencil - so you can change your mind?  I don't think they are going into the draft and the rest of free agency with the idea of not doing anything at guard because they have him. 

Well Dear God. He's had 3 years and still hasn't performed. So it'd be more than a 2nd chance wouldn't it? A lot of guys have all pro potential and never realize it. You should know that. If we don't draft a G in the 1st 3 rounds, or at least sign a vet like Mathis we could/most likely will be in the same situation as last year. Going into the season with the same ole guys who haven't performed. Like I said. If we draft a guard early and they perform well, and Thornton has a breakout year too. Then that'd be a great problem to have wouldn't it? All I'm saying is it would be a major gamble to go into the year with Thornton and no early pick or free agent.

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

Your assumption that he hasn't dedicated himself in prior years is just an assumption. His injuries have probably affected his stamina as much as anything else.

And yes it is a contract year, and there's obviously a contract year phenomena that exists in the NFL, but it rarely benefits offensive linemen, so if he plays well for us in 2016, that's not a bad thing.

Also, the real point is that the team is switching to a blocking scheme that relies more on athletic interior blockers than the previous scheme did. If Thornton's offseason yields a more athletic player with more endurance, then that's a good thing for the Colts. 

Maybe he can be the Jeff Allen of this season Supe. I can only hope. you know Allen didn't do anything until last season and then broke out and became a force for KC.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's entirely irrelevant.

Supe. I have the utmost respect for you. You're probably the smartest person I've ever talked to on any internet forum. But how is that irrelevant? Because the thread was just about him losing weight and working hard to get in better shape?

7 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Maybe he can be the Jeff Allen of this season Supe. I can only hope. you know Allen didn't do anything until last season and then broke out and became a force for KC.

Didn't you want Jeff Allen? Somebody else's contract year breakout is attractive, but our own 4th year guy having a good season is a negative?

4 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Supe. I have the utmost respect for you. You're probably the smartest person I've ever talked to on any internet forum. But how is that irrelevant? Because the thread was just about him losing weight and working hard to get in better shape?

Yeah, pretty much. The Colts are switching to a ZBS, and one of the young players with upside appears to be working hard to fit with the new scheme.

I understand you don't want the team to rely on Thornton alone, and that's fine, but it's really not at issue right now. 

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Didn't you want Jeff Allen? Somebody else's contract year breakout is attractive, but our own 4th year guy having a good season is a negative?

No. That's the opposite of what I meant. I'm hoping that he is the Jeff Allen of this year. If he finally realizes his potential and breaks out then that's a wonderful thing. I don't see how you took that the wrong way Supe.

Just now, COLTS449 said:

No. That's the opposite of what I meant. I'm hoping that he is the Jeff Allen of this year. If he finally realizes his potential and breaks out then that's a wonderful thing. I don't see how you took that the wrong way Supe.

My fault. You weren't the one talking about this being a contract year for Thornton, that was someone else. My bad.

This could be a good development.  Worse case we are going to need better backups than Lance Louis and whoever. Getting lighter with a new system and OL coach could all work to his favor.  Preseason will determine how this plays out.  Makes for great competition with the new guys we are going to bring on board.

With us assumedly fixing the o line Via the draft it helps that we have other options in place. Rookie linemen don't always acclimate that well to the NFL. It's good to have a plan B, as well as a good competition in camp. Not expecting Thornton to be a game breaker, but hoping this change helps for the better. 

I don't think he would have had a problem in a zone scheme to begin with but I can certainly see his weight causing stamina issues and the reason for breakdown in technique. Love to see he is putting in the work. Hoping it translates to the field come the start of the season

15 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Isn't Thornton the lineman that could lay on his back and flip to his feet in one move?   I just remember how athletic this guy was and for that kind of athletic ability to not translate is head scratching.  

Yup....   and he did it at roughly 320...    his weight his senior year....

Maybe we might get that guy back --- Finally!

he was not that bad at all last year, not sure what people are thinking saying we dont want a repeat of last year, or he doesnt deserve another chance, its like everyone expects are guards to be superstars, it doesnt happen like that. there are 5 guards maybe in the league that can be considered superstars and if Thornton doesnt match up to that he should be cut? not realistic by any means

2 hours ago, Superman said:

The last point is the point above the rest and the only one that matters. I don't see why people question dedication (wasn't he getting pummeled by people for getting so emotional during a game he cried? Or was that Holmes?). People who question dedication I feel don't understand the work it takes to get that far in the first place.

Besides, you hope that, if we can't address guard (and instead only come away with a viable center this offseason), that he shows  you can trust him. We may need him.

This is great news. At worst hopefully Thornton can be a viable backup. We'll definitely need him this season. Rarely do you go an entire season without an Oline injury. Hopefully he can come in at camp and contribute. Whether that is as a starter or a backup, we'll have to see

39 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

The last point is the point above the rest and the only one that matters. I don't see why people question dedication (wasn't he getting pummeled by people for getting so emotional during a game he cried? Or was that Holmes?). People who question dedication I feel don't understand the work it takes to get that far in the first place.

Besides, you hope that, if we can't address guard (and instead only come away with a viable center this offseason), that he shows  you can trust him. We may need him.

Yeah that was Thornton. He's a popular punching bag around here.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah that was Thornton. He's a popular punching bag around here.

Yeah, I don't get it myself. I understand not having a ton of confidence in him, but it could well be he ends up being better than whoever we try to replace him with. In that scenario, and with some luck, that means you have two good players instead of Thornton and a bust.

I don't know how his weight loss will affect his play but I am so tired of us not being able to win in the trenches and run the football against good teams. I really think it's an even bigger problem than our edge rusher situation that everyone is panicked about.