Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What do you think Andrew Lucks new contract will be like?

RockThatBlue

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not be surprised if the total contract is close to $150,000,000.00 with $100,000,000.00 guaranteed, 7 year deal, The first 5 guaranteed. The last two if on the roster at that point (He would be 32 and then 33). Something like that

Sheets of A4 paper (good quality stock) with lots and lots of very small writing. 

Clauses include:

Beard length not to exceed 4 inches at any one time.

NO Cave painting the locker room. 

Prohibition of playing on the Settlers of Catan pro tour during football season. 

No more flip phone. 

Before Luck missed half of a season, I would have thought he would get a 6 year 150 million dollar deal (25 million per year). 

I am not so sure about that now. 

Low end is probably 20 million per year. High end is probably still around 25 million.

I would like to see us get more creative with Luck's deal though. I would like to see us offer him a 6 year, 105 million dollar deal - 100% Completely Guaranteed. 

That's 17.5 million per year, and with it all guaranteed, we could evenly spread out the cap hit. No NFL player has ever had a long-term deal like it, so he would be the first.

6 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Sheets of A4 paper (good quality stock) with lots and lots of very small writing. 

Clauses include:

Beard length not to exceed 4 inches at any one time.

NO Cave painting the locker room. 

Prohibition of playing on the Settlers of Catan pro tour during football season. 

No more flip phone. 

woah there buddy...I've heard from reliable sources that trying to take away his flip phone IS a deal breaker in his eyes. :panic:

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

Before Luck missed half of a season, I would have thought he would get a 6 year 150 million dollar deal (25 million per year). 

Low end is probably 20 million per year. High end is probably still around 25 million.

I would like to see us get more creative with Luck's deal though. I would like to see us offer him a 6 year, 105 million dollar deal - 100% Completely Guaranteed. 

That's 17.5 million per year, and with it all guaranteed, we could evenly spread out the cap hit. No NFL player has ever had a long-term deal like it, so he would be the first.

Not sure his agent would let him do this type of deal.  Franchise level QB's see virtually all of their contract's value.  For comparisons sake, Newton signed a 5 year $103 million dollar deal with a $22 mil signing bonus and $60 mil guaranteed.  I would be wiling to bet that Carolina expects and hopes to pay the entire value of that contract to him, which is $3 million more for one less year you are proposing for Luck.  

Maybe this type of structure is the way they ultimately go but it will be at #'s larger than you suggest.

5 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Nice assessment, BlueShoe. I think what you've proposed here with all completely guaranteed money on a lower level is the direction of future contracts of the NFL. Especially franchised ones.

I know it's been quite the buzz for the last several years. Luck could possibly pioneer it. We'll see.

35 minutes ago, JRnINDY said:

Would love to see Andrew take a creative deal that respects him and allows the team cap friendly movement.

Say: 6 yr @ 16 per = 99 mil., plus 2% ownership

just thinking out the box and drinking coolaid

That contract wouldn't be allowed. 

50 minutes ago, JRnINDY said:

Would love to see Andrew take a creative deal that respects him and allows the team cap friendly movement.

Say: 6 yr @ 16 per = 99 mil., plus 2% ownership

just thinking out the box and drinking coolaid

I think you fell out of the box and are drinking a little more than Kool Aid.

6/135      $22.5m per.

70 Mill guaranteed.      

50 Mill in a signing bonus,  and the other 20 Mill in various other ways....

I also think it will get re-worked likely twice,   possibly three times.     This will give AL more guaranteed money and it will give the Colts periodic salary cap relief.

I am thinking he will hit the 25 mil a year target for 7 yrs with 125 mil guaranteed.  Someone has to hit 25 a year very soon and he is the most likely candidate at this point.  It wouldn't surprise me if there is some creative language making the guarantee ( so a percentage back to the team ) against injury different than the guarantee if he is healthy all year every year of the contract so it protects the team but gives the player the guarantee they all want.

It is all speculation at this point but fun speculation.  Personally I just want him to be our QB for a long time I mean the money is what it is in the NFL so he is getting paid and a discount especially on a second contract will not be in the cards.

20 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Not sure his agent would let him do this type of deal.  Franchise level QB's see virtually all of their contract's value.  For comparisons sake, Newton signed a 5 year $103 million dollar deal with a $22 mil signing bonus and $60 mil guaranteed.  I would be wiling to bet that Carolina expects and hopes to pay the entire value of that contract to him, which is $3 million more for one less year you are proposing for Luck.  

Maybe this type of structure is the way they ultimately go but it will be at #'s larger than you suggest.

Kaepernick got a 7 year 126 million dollar deal, but he won't see it all. The numbers were just a sham, and the 49ers can easily walk away.

The 100% guarantee is going to be at a reduced price because the team is taking all the risks. If the Colts guarantee Luck 105 million over 6 years then he is receiving 105 million.

I believe 100-110 million is the right price for a fully guaranteed 6 year deal.

Think about it this way. A team could offer a quarterback 21-23 million a year with the opportunity to part ways after 2-3 seasons. Or a team can guarantee a 6 year deal at 17-19 million, with no opportunity to walk away from the deal.

An agent is not going to snub a guaranteed deal like this as quickly as you think. It's a risky deal for a team to offer. That's why it's never been done before. I believe Luck is the right player to offer a deal like this.

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

Kaepernick got a 7 year 126 million dollar deal, but he won't see it all. The numbers were just a sham, and the 49ers can easily walk away.

The 100% guarantee is going to be at a reduced price because the team is taking all the risks. If the Colts guarantee Luck 105 million over 6 years then he is receiving 105 million.

I believe 100-110 million is the right price for a fully guaranteed 6 year deal.

Think about it this way. A team could offer a quarterback 21-23 million a year with the opportunity to part ways after 2-3 seasons. Or a team can guarantee a 6 year deal at 17-19 million, with no opportunity to walk away from the deal.

An agent is not going to snub a guaranteed deal like this as quickly as you think. It's a risky deal for a team to offer. That's why it's never been done before. I believe Luck is the right player to offer a deal like this.

Where you go wrong in trying to make your point is using Kaepernick as the proof.  That is QB funny money where they can easily escape.  The FRANCHISE level QB's are the ones who will very likely see every penny on their contracts - Brady, Manning (early days), Big Ben, etc.  Luck is in that category.

I don't suggest that what you presented is off base in concept but just that the #'s will be higher should the Colts go down this path