Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is there a chance

Nesjan3

Remaining Schedule-at ATL, TB, at PIT, at JAX, HOU, at MIA, TEN

Say Luck misses 4 games, Hasselback splits the 4 games losses to PIT and ATl, wins against TB and JAX, Luck comes back to win out the season leaving us 9-7...regardless if we can make it into the playoffs via winning our pathetic division with a healthy Andrew do we have a chance to make a superbowl run?

-We beat an undefeated Denver team.

-We hung in it with the undefeated Pats, if it wasn't for a botched call on an onside kick and a certain trick play we had a shot to win.

-Had the lead in overtime in Carolina against another undefeated

-All our losses have been close with the exception of the Saints game, we have been extremely inconsistent but I believe we have shown we can hang with the big boys when we are on our game.

Wild Card opponents look to be PIT, OAK, BUF, NYJ, KC all winnable games although im afraid of the AFC North. We have shown time and again we can take care of the Bengals and Broncos, could there be a miracle playoff run in a season swirling with controversy just to come down to another show down with Brady!!???! Im honestly pumped for the rest of the season.

Say Luck misses 4 games, Hasselback splits the 4 games losses to PIT and ATl, wins against TB and JAX, Luck comes back to win out the season leaving us 9-7...regardless if we can make it into the playoffs via winning our pathetic division with a healthy Andrew do we have a chance to make a superbowl run?

-We hung in it with the undefeated Pats, if it wasn't for a botched call on an onside kick and a certain trick play we had a shot to win.

-All our losses have been close with the exception of the Saints game, we have been extremely inconsistent but I believe we have shown we can hang with the big boys when we are on our game.

Wild Card opponents look to be PIT, OAK, BUF, NYJ, KC all winnable games although im afraid of the AFC North. We have shown time and again we can take care of the Bengals and Broncos, could there be a miracle playoff run in a season swirling with controversy just to come down to another show down with Brady!!???! Im honestly pumped for the rest of the season.

Its what I've been thinking. We can get hot and say screw it

I am interested to see this offense with a real OC. I expected Chud to establish the run and allow Matt to get the most out of our skill players. He got a pro bowl season out of Derick Anderson in Cleveland. If we can avoid anymore significant injuries anything is possible. I think we can manage the remaining schedule with Matt. We obviously need Luck back to make a run.

The AFC is wide open after NE. Cinny has to prove they can win a play off game. Denver we have beat, Peyton's playoff record, they don't scare me. Pittsburg will probably be there.

Atlanta should give us a good idea where we are at. I think if we can get a W we could get it going. If not we will struggle to hang on until Luck gets back.

The Jags win today makes it 2 of 3 and they have a very favorable schedule: Titans x2, SD, INDY, Atl, @NO,@Hou. The only team with a winning record is a spurting Falcons team. They are the only team we have to worry about for the division. Houston's schedule is tough and the Titans aren't there yet. Jag's are #3 vs the run. They could surprise down the stretch.

Sure there is always a chance.  But the better question is a chance at what?  Making the Superbowl?  I don't think the chance is very good, not when you look at where they'd have to go to get there.  What is the definition of insanity again?  If you mean win the division and make the playoffs?  Then I'd say it's at least 50-50 given the division.  But to me this season was Superbowl or bust and it's looking very much like bust at this point.

Nice optimistic assessment, Nesjan3. This all predicates on the return of Andrew. However, if MH can get hot, and stay that way? Who knows? A run into the Playoffs could happen. Not likely. But, stranger things have happened. I'm of the mindset and thinking that Luck may not be back this season. I hope I'm wrong, and he returns 100% healthy and ready to roll.

I think if Luck is truly 100% back to health and we are lucky enough to avoid injuries, we'll have a legit shot in part because Luck in full health ALWAYS gives us a shot.  The health of the D in particular is critical as we are super thin and our D is what has held us back in my opinion. Sure, Luck has turnovers, but often because he's trying to play hero to score points.  If the D can hold the opposition in check, like they did last year against Denver, we can beat anyone.  Exception might be Cincy if they keep their torrid pace as they seem better and deeper than anyone else this year and certainly want revenge on us.  We are sort of their Patriots....

I think if Luck is truly 100% back to health and we are lucky enough to avoid injuries, we'll have a legit shot in part because Luck in full health ALWAYS gives us a shot. The health of the D in particular is critical as we are super thin and our D is what has held us back in my opinion. Sure, Luck has turnovers, but often because he's trying to play hero to score points. If the D can hold the opposition in check, like they did last year against Denver, we can beat anyone. Exception might be Cincy if they keep their torrid pace as they seem better and deeper than anyone else this year and certainly want revenge on us. We are sort of their Patriots....

Ummmmmm the D is what held us in every game this season basically. They are why we even had a shot at alot of games. Our lack of of sustainING drives, constant 3 and outs under Pep, bad turnovers and mistakes in our end of the field, put our D in horrible spots. And often times has left them gassed by about the middle of the 3rd qtr because they were on the field basically the whole game. So then teams would rack up points on us. Our lack offense and sustaining drives has been what held us back this year. Our D is far far from the main reason. They've have actually been the bright spot this season in alot of ways. Yes our rankings and numbers may show our D as being horrible, but numbers don't tell the whole story. Look at the situations and circumstances our D has been put basically all season up until the Denver game. That will in large part tell you why our defensive numbers look as bad as they do. Now am I saying they have been perfect or outstanding, no! They have had their rough spots obviously. Still lots of room to improve. But overall I'd say they've been solid considering what they've had to deal with. Our offense on the other hand up until the Denver game and a half against NE has been absolutely atrocious!!!

The Dis the thing. I think the Anderson injury is going to bite us more than the Luck Injury.  MH has shown the ability at least to still move an offense.  But Anderson run stuffing/backfield  penetration has helped this D more than people think. He hasn't gotten a lot of sacks..or tackles lately, but he holds his line, and forces plays away from him.  Who replaces Anderson?..........

Yes...IF we make the playoffs. There's always a chance we go hot....how likely of a chance, it's anyone's guess. But we have to hope Matt can win some more games for us. Especially against the division

The Dis the thing. I think the Anderson injury is going to bite us more than the Luck Injury. MH has shown the ability at least to still move an offense. But Anderson run stuffing/backfield penetration has helped this D more than people think. He hasn't gotten a lot of sacks..or tackles lately, but he holds his line, and forces plays away from him. Who replaces Anderson?..........

I agree 10 fold here. I've noticed he's been getting double teams more than the others and was still pushing them back. Allowing Parry and Langford to come free. He will be missed

The reason this season has been so disappointing, is that we know the Colts have shot themselves in the foot with penalties, turnovers, etc.

Add to that, the time it took for the O-line to gel and bad play calling, in some situations.

The good news is, little-by-little, we're seeing the Colts get better; penalties have gone down, the run D has been pretty solid and if the Denver game was any indication, the offense/play calling may be getting consistently better.

Wouldn't it be awesome to have to go to NE and end up upsetting the Pats in the playoffs?

The reason this season has been so disappointing, is that we know the Colts have shot themselves in the foot with penalties, turnovers, etc.

Add to that, the time it took for the O-line to gel and bad play calling, in some situations.

The good news is, little-by-little, we're seeing the Colts get better; penalties have gone down, the run D has been pretty solid and if the Denver game was any indication, the offense/play calling may be getting consistently better.

Wouldn't it be awesome to have to go to NE and end up upsetting the Pats in the playoffs?

Nothing would make me happier then going into NE and destroying them. 

To the OP:

This season is a dose of reality and will build character. We have plenty of talent, but execution hasn't been there. Whether that's coaching or on the players or both is moot at this point. We've shown we can play very well on all three sides of the ball. So yes, we get in I definitely think we have a chance to win it all. 

Ummmmmm the D is what held us in every game this season basically. They are why we even had a shot at alot of games. Our lack of of sustainING drives, constant 3 and outs under Pep, bad turnovers and mistakes in our end of the field, put our D in horrible spots. And often times has left them gassed by about the middle of the 3rd qtr because they were on the field basically the whole game. So then teams would rack up points on us. Our lack offense and sustaining drives has been what held us back this year. Our D is far far from the main reason. They've have actually been the bright spot this season in alot of ways. Yes our rankings and numbers may show our D as being horrible, but numbers don't tell the whole story. Look at the situations and circumstances our D has been put basically all season up until the Denver game. That will in large part tell you why our defensive numbers look as bad as they do. Now am I saying they have been perfect or outstanding, no! They have had their rough spots obviously. Still lots of room to improve. But overall I'd say they've been solid considering what they've had to deal with. Our offense on the other hand up until the Denver game and a half against NE has been absolutely atrocious!!!

Apples and Oranges.  I am talking results in previous playoffs where we've given up 40+ on D.  You're talking this regular season. 

I hope Hasselbeck can win at least 1 of the next 4 games(pending how long Luck is out).  Two games would be great.  It sucks that the Jags pulled off that win yesterday.  The titans lost and the Texans have a tough game tonight.  I still think the Colts win the division with 7-9 wins and honestly if they get hot anything could happen.  I don't trust Cinci in the playoffs(all though they have looked good this year and this year is a new year), the Broncos have looked awful and Peyton might be done and now Brady just lost his top target(all tho he always still mananges to find a way but it will be tough).  The AFC could be wide open come playoff time. 

I hope Hasselbeck can win at least 1 of the next 4 games(pending how long Luck is out).  Two games would be great.  It sucks that the Jags pulled off that win yesterday.  The titans lost and the Texans have a tough game tonight.  I still think the Colts win the division with 7-9 wins and honestly if they get hot anything could happen.  I don't trust Cinci in the playoffs(all though they have looked good this year and this year is a new year), the Broncos have looked awful and Peyton might be done and now Brady just lost his top target(all tho he always still mananges to find a way but it will be tough).  The AFC could be wide open come playoff time. 

edelman will be back come playoffs. The teams that would give us the most trouble are the pats and steelers in the playoffs if we make it. We have to hold off the jags. Hurns and robinson and playing good.

I agree with all of that. Execution has been dreadful so far this season, and it has plagued us in all phases, including STs where we're usually solid. I think the punt return against Denver was the first STs return against us in three years... (fact check that)

That being the case, with good execution, I think we could be 7-2 or 8-1 right now. A positive trend the past few games is that the penalties are coming down, and against the Pats and the Broncos the offense didn't turn the ball over.

Still, I feel like we're missing playmakers at some positions. The pass rush, coverage across the middle... and even our corners aren't playing as well as they did last season. So even if I'm being optimistic about our chances overall -- assuming Luck comes back and plays well, and we're still eligible for the playoffs by then -- I still think there are some potentially fatal flaws with this team.

edelman will be back come playoffs. The teams that would give us the most trouble are the pats and steelers in the playoffs if we make it. We have to hold off the jags. Hurns and robinson and playing good.

I'll believe that when I see it.  If he's back I can't imagine he's 100%.  I guess we'll see.  Either way with or with out Edelman the Pats have our number.  Your right on about the Steelers though.  If the Colts can get in, I am not concerned with NYJ, BUF, CIN or DEN.

I agree with all of that. Execution has been dreadful so far this season, and it has plagued us in all phases, including STs where we're usually solid. I think the punt return against Denver was the first STs return against us in three years... (fact check that)

That being the case, with good execution, I think we could be 7-2 or 8-1 right now. A positive trend the past few games is that the penalties are coming down, and against the Pats and the Broncos the offense didn't turn the ball over.

Still, I feel like we're missing playmakers at some positions. The pass rush, coverage across the middle... and even our corners aren't playing as well as they did last season. So even if I'm being optimistic about our chances overall -- assuming Luck comes back and plays well, and we're still eligible for the playoffs by then -- I still think there are some potentially fatal flaws with this team.

Improved secondary play could help the pass rush. If Mathis can improve, the defense could be solid. I'm not sold on Cole but Newsome/Langford/Walden could bring some pressure. I agree that however it happens, we need more pressure and better coverage. I've seen too many down-the-field receptions due to broken coverages. The good news is, these can be eliminated as they are mental.

Improved secondary play could help the pass rush. If Mathis can improve, the defense could be solid. I'm not sold on Cole but Newsome/Langford/Walden could bring some pressure. I agree that however it happens, we need more pressure and better coverage. I've seen too many down-the-field receptions due to broken coverages. The good news is, these can be eliminated as they are mental.

It's so much better to do it the other way. To me, defense starts closest to the ball. Disrupt the pocket and you make life easier on the secondary. Any QB with consistent time is going to find ways to get his receivers the ball, even if you play good initial coverage, especially with the way they call illegal contact and defensive holding now.

It's true that if you can lock down receivers, the pass rush will eventually get there. We call them coverage sacks. But that's not the norm. It's much better to disrupt the passer up front.

And that's not to say that our initial coverage can't be better, because it can. Like you said, we've had A LOT of blown coverages this season, especially over the top. I haven't charted it, but I think we've had more through 9 games than we did all last season.

Reality check please, we really haven`t been "on our game" when we were able to Get Close in most of these games. Andrews USUAL late game scoring against softened up defenses has been the norm.

One can imagine about anything if you are Homer enough, but it is rather early to bother with Speculation. There are likely to be injuries ahead that could be significant.

It will take some serious Chudness to right this. Challenging the O-Line is a Great place to start. Better route running comes next. Go Chud! Go Team!

JAX has been playing very well. There is no guarantee we beat them. We were lucky that their kicker missed those FGs.

Completely agree and the Jags are playing better now.  There is no guarantee in any of the next four games, the last three are pretty winnable.