Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Irsay should do:

GwinnettColt

Possibilities Irsay could consider  

172 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think Irsay should do?

• Nothing. Keep everyone.
    • Fire Chuck and put Chud in until the end of the season and make a decision then.
    • Fire everyone at the end of the season.
    • Let Grigson, Pep, and Manusky go now. Keep Chuck, put Chud into the OC position and let Chuck handle DC position.
    • Another option

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you, but i don't think anyone would be fired before the bye week. Besides, IMO if rumors are true and Pep was indeed Grigson's hire, firing Pep would only happen if Grigson is fired too.

IMHO if nothing happens latest during bye, then Colts are giving up this season. 

I think these two things don't have to be tied. GMs can fire coaches and survive.. just.

We need to be able to get thru the season without blowing everything up completely.

Unfortunately, Grigson needs to stay for now...but his power needs to be limited and his interference in coaching matters stopped.

Our two main problems are Offense and Andrew....so that is what we address.

We take the Offense away from Pep and show him the door...REGARDLESS of what Grigson wants. The O can be

managed by Chud until we get another OC or Chud proves to be a good one.

We get Clyde the he## away from Andrew...Clyde isn't doing squat except pulling a paycheck from Irsay.

We need to find an experienced QB coach for Andrew, even if it is only a consulting position for now.

Pep needs to be gone IMMEDIATELY and Clyde very soon.

I'm sure Andrew will respond to some different approaches on Offense and a new QB coach to lean on.

If Irsay is not happy with Grigson, there's no need of keeping him until the end of the season.  There is nothing Grigson can do now to change this season.  I'm sure he's already working on plans for next season and beyond.  We do not need he stamp on this team anymore.  Fire Grigson, demote or fire Pep, promote Chud, and let Pagano take complete control of this team and see what happens.  

I am glad all the professionals in this forum knows all the answers. Fire him, fire him. Not much past that. Lot of ideas on who to bring in but none of them solves any problems I can see. For all the answers there are more questions made. Finding the people most of you want to run things better are not available or don't exist. Just go ahead and throw this season out and blow everything up now. Start a whole new FO. Just throw out the last three years. The Colts get in a rut and the whole world is ending.

So your answer is do nothing?  Let this downward spiral continue?  You know, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, right?

If I am Irsay....I do this.

Bring in Peyton Manning as your next OC or GM, whatever he wants.  To me, this is a no brainer.  Of course, doing this is contingent upon Manning retiring after this year, but if he keeps playing like this, I don't think there is anyway he doesn't retire.  Bring him in (if he is interested-or GM if he would rather go that route), and groom him as a possible head coach (or GM) down the road.

Fire the entire coaching staff and RG.

Bring in either a Saban, Payton, or Harbaugh as your next head coach.  Who is GM?  Honestly I don't know.

Strongly consider trading Luck.  I know this is bordering on laughable, but hear me out.  Luck is about to be the highest paid player in the NFL unless he falls apart even further.  He is going to be paid as the top player in football, and right now he is not even a top 15 QB.  Under no circumstances should be he paid more than an AR at Green Bay or a Brady.  Just no.  I bet you could get an entire teams draft AND two number one picks for him in the following years.  And you would not have $25 M a year tied up in him.  I just do not see him having the mental capacity to over come what is causing him to regress.  He is getting worse and imo it is time to get out while the getting is good.  

So your answer is do nothing?  Let this downward spiral continue?  You know, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, right?

There is no changes that can be made at this time that would magically make the Colts a championship caliber team. All these suggestions on who to bring in is not a reality. Any of these people who Irsay might want to bring in is under contract with other teams. Irsay must have permission to even talk to any one without facing tampering charges. Those teams are not going to give permission to any of their people till the end of their season. Yeah it's easy to sit behind your PC and yell and scream fire this guy or fire that guy. But then what?  It is a apparent that Irsay is not happy. What we talk, whine, yell or anything else we do in this forum does not effect Irsay. Irsay will do what he thinks helps this team no matter what me, you or anyone else thinks in this forum. One thing we have all learned from Irsay is he don't think like other owners nor should he. This whole mind set of the sky is falling because the Colts are in a rut is useless. Do I know what the answers are? No, but I know as much as the next person does.

Like how the forum asks that everyone be fired every week and expects it to happen?

There is no changes that can be made at this time that would magically make the Colts a championship caliber team. All these suggestions on who to bring in is not a reality. Any of these people who Irsay might want to bring in is under contract with other teams. Irsay must have permission to even talk to any one without facing tampering charges. Those teams are not going to give permission to any of their people till the end of their season. Yeah it's easy to sit behind your PC and yell and scream fire this guy or fire that guy. But then what?  It is a apparent that Irsay is not happy. What we talk, whine, yell or anything else we do in this forum does not effect Irsay. Irsay will do what he thinks helps this team no matter what me, you or anyone else thinks in this forum. One thing we have all learned from Irsay is he don't think like other owners nor should he. This whole mind set of the sky is falling because the Colts are in a rut is useless. Do I know what the answers are? No, but I know as much as the next person does.

I actually disagree with this.  You would be shocked the amount of influence a new voice, outlook, and training regiment can have on an athlete.  I trained race horses for many years, and many times, just getting a horse into a new training system/barn can do wonders.  I remember two horses I got off another trainer, Swap shop and Red Walter.  Bother were good horses but struggling with the trainer they had. As in not making any money and finishing back of the pack most of the time.  The owner gave them to me to train and the very next week both won and combined went on to win 12 in a row.  Now, the old trainer was jogging them, feeding them, doing the basics, but it took a new outlook and system to get them going.  

I am not saying that can happen with the Colts overnight, but it has to be better than what is happening now....right?  The odds of the Colts winning the SB this year, as presently playing, have to be near zero.  You can't do any worse, so do SOMETHING to try and make it better.

Get rid of EVERYBODY, ik Chuck has no say so in things, and I think that's unfortunate. But Chuck is not too innocent his self. We have came out flat in idk how many games since he took over at head coach. And most times it has cost us. That's his fault. Manusky should go, how many blow out games have we been on the receiving end of over the past couple of seasons cause of his Defense? Idk if its the players or his scheme, but I'm not a fan of his. And Pep goes without saying.

If I am Irsay....I do this.

Bring in Peyton Manning as your next OC or GM, whatever he wants.  To me, this is a no brainer.  Of course, doing this is contingent upon Manning retiring after this year, but if he keeps playing like this, I don't think there is anyway he doesn't retire.  Bring him in (if he is interested-or GM if he would rather go that route), and groom him as a possible head coach (or GM) down the road.

Fire the entire coaching staff and RG.

Bring in either a Saban, Payton, or Harbaugh as your next head coach.  Who is GM?  Honestly I don't know.

Strongly consider trading Luck.  I know this is bordering on laughable, but hear me out.  Luck is about to be the highest paid player in the NFL unless he falls apart even further.  He is going to be paid as the top player in football, and right bow he is not even a top 15 QB.  Under no circumstances should be he paid more than a AR at Green Bay or a Brady.  Just no.  I bet you could get an entire teams draft AND two number one picks for him in the following years.  And you would not have $25 M a year tied up in him.  I just do not see him having the mental capacity to over come what is causing him to regress.  He is getting worse and imo it is time to get out while the getting is good.  

No it's not borderline laughable, it's full blown laughable. Mental capacity? You cant be serious. As far as the other stuff, yeah, just snap your finger and make it happen. Who says that Manning is going to retire and even if he does who said he wants to be a coach? Saban is no NFL coach. Payton is not leaving New Orleans. Both Harbaugh's are set with what they are doing. You can wake up from your dream now.

I actually disagree with this.  You would be shocked the amount of influence a new voice, outlook, and training regiment can have on an athlete.  I trained race horses for many years, and many times, just getting a horse into a new training system/barn can do wonders.  I remember two horses I got off another trainer, Swap shop and Red Walter.  Bother were good horses but struggling with the trainer they had. As in not making any money and finishing back of the pack most of the time.  The owner gave them to me to train and the very next week both won and combined went on to win 12 in a row.  Now, the old trainer was jogging them, feeding them, doing the basics, but it took a new outlook and system to get them going.  

I am not saying that can happen with the Colts overnight, but it has to be better than what is happening now....right?  The odds of the Colts winning the SB this year, as presently playing, have to be near zero.  You can't do any worse, so do SOMETHING to try and make it better.

Maybe, maybe not? Sorry,  I don't see the mental aspects of two horses in comparison to 53 men. I understand your point but at this point in the season I don't see any changes that can be made that would automatically make the Colts better. There are too many factors on why the Colts are not playing good. It's a combination of players just as much as coaches.

No it's not borderline laughable, it's full blown laughable. Mental capacity? You cant be serious. As far as the other stuff, yeah, just snap your finger and make it happen. Who says that Manning is going to retire and even if he does who said he wants to be a coach? Saban is no NFL coach. Payton is not leaving New Orleans. Both Harbaugh's are set with what they are doing. You can wake up from your dream now.

See I can understand people saying this, but do you want to make Luck the highest paid player in football, playing the way he is?  I know I don't.   When you could instead load yourself up with enough draft picks (and players) so flexibility wise you could set yourself up to be the complete team we all want the Colts to be?  I love Andrew Luck, but I just do not see "all time great" and top 3 NFL qb in him right now.

Maybe, maybe not? Sorry,  I don't see the mental aspects of two horses in comparison to 53 men. I understand your point but at this point in the season I don't see any changes that can be made that would automatically make the Colts better. There are too many factors on why the Colts are not playing good. It's a combination of players just as much as coaches.

I tend to agree with you, all I am saying is doing something, even if it only has a small chance to be successful, is better than going with the same old same old, which imo has next to no chance to work.

I think the only flaw in your argument is that the organization has an individual that they could place in the OC position without going outside... Rob Chudzinski.  Do we know if he will do better?  No.  But could he really be any worse than Pep at this point?  Doubtful.  I don't advocate for firing everyone right now.  I think you start with the smallest moves possible to try and correct the issue before going up the chain.  But to say there is no personnel move that could be done to help the situation is silly.

I completely agree with people who are very critical of Pep.  He has been horrible during his time here.  Superman brought up a perfect example of why Pep fails.  Luck immediately gets killed against the Bears and we adjusted our play and Luck immediately looked better.  The same happened when Matt took over.  Yet, week 1 and when Luck got back from his injury we revert right back to the crap that we were running.  We forget about the run game all of the time when Gore is having huge success out there.

With all of that said he is still just the offensive coordinator.  Ultimately, Pagano could walk down the sideline and tell him to get back to the short game.  He either agrees with Pep or he does not feel like he has the power to completely change things, which if the reports that Pep is a Grigson guy then I can understand why.  Ultimately, how this offense and defense runs is on Pagano since he is the head coach.  

The first thing they should try is firing Pep and letting Chud run the offense and see if we get improvement.

Ultimately, I think we just blow it all up on the end of the season.

All I want is for someone to answer to me. What happened to the Colts? They were good last year, had a good draft and brought in amazing players and the they lay an egg. How did this happen and why aren't they playing like everyone expected them to?

The only answer is they over achieved and now it has caught them. Other teams now have all the tape needed to know how to play the Colts. It is not uncommon for a team to regress after over achieving.

Here's the thing that apparently none of us actually know ... What does coach Pagano actually want?  Is he happy with Pep Hamilton as his OC?  Are he and Grigson of like mind regarding Pep as OC?

If I am the owner, I am talking to the GM because technically speaking, it's the GM's responsibility to oversee the coaching staff.  That being said, I think it's the head coach's responsibility to choose the remainder of his coaching staff.   If I am the owner, I am expressing to the GM & HC that I am VERY upset with the job of the play calling.  If HC does not want to change the OC, then I am holding the HC responsible.

If the HC wants to change the OC, but the GM does not want him to, I am intervening to tell tell the GM to butt out and let his HC install whoever he feels he needs to install into the role of OC, and for the rest of his coaching staff for that matter.

If the GM and the HC don't want to change the OC, then I am telling them to either make a change or they will both be held accountable for doing NOTHING to improve the situation.

I think the only flaw in your argument is that the organization has an individual that they could place in the OC position without going outside... Rob Chudzinski.  Do we know if he will do better?  No.  But could he really be any worse than Pep at this point?  Doubtful.  I don't advocate for firing everyone right now.  I think you start with the smallest moves possible to try and correct the issue before going up the chain.  But to say there is no personnel move that could be done to help the situation is silly.

Chud did well as OC in Carolina and Cleveland.  I know that the personnel are different but I don't think he would be any worse than Pep; because he is experienced and successful at the OC position, it is likely that he will improve the offense.

We could seriously lose 4 of the next 5 games if we hold the course.

I know it defies what we've been seeing, but I still think we can beat both Carolina AND Denver, two very overrated 6-0 teams in a long time.  Denver could EASILY have lost nearly every game this season.  The shouldn't be more than 3-3.   If we hit 5-4 beating two straight undefeated teams, the narrative and energy completely changes on the season.  I think we also beat our division, making us 8 wins.... and Miami is beatable.  I predicted at season's start we could go 9-7 against this schedule and it appears even that was optimistic.  But I think I had us losing all the games we've lost so far at the time.  

If Luck can use his brain power to outsmart Denver's D, that's a winnable home game.  Carolina is simply due to lose and if we get our two safeties back healthy (Adams and Geathers) rather than limping onto the field, I think we can offer up much better run support.  Sure, Carolina will score 27 points, but we should be able to score 28 this time if we do ANYTHING in the first half.  Same with Denver, I think 28 points would get us the win.   I think Firing Pep and having Chud take a shot at using our TE's heavily (especially now that Dorsett is out) on crossing routes to move out/around the Carolina Linebackers giving Gore a little running room is the way to go.  Lineup 2 TE's and Hilton/Moncrief wide and toss in some empty backfield with Johnson on short yardage plays in the slot and let those guys try to cover them all.  And Luck needs to play Hasselbeck ball and get it out in 2 seconds on most plays.  Dink and dunk them to death.  Boring, yes.  But winning football.  Then once in a while TY or Moncrief on a go route when they're all playing up to stop the crossing routes and BAM...TD!   

I sure think it would be better that what we've been doing.  

I'll be curious to see who's available GM-wise after the season, but one guy I'd like to take another look at is Marc Ross. At least if we are going to go with a fresh guy with no GM experience. Wonder if Irsay would like to have that one back...

yeah I'm curious who will be available really wish we could get that assistant GM of the Ravens but don't think he will leave

I know it defies what we've been seeing

I don't really think it defies what we've been seeing. We've had a team underachieving since Week 1. There's no question in my mind that the team can play better, especially on offense (and we've been shut out in three first halves this season). Better play calling and execution isn't an unreasonable expectation. 

If not for really poor first halves on offense, we could be 6-1. And if we had held on against New England, we could be 7-0. The offensive personnel is fine, IMO. The defense isn't great, but it's been adequate, aside from the injuries in the secondary. 

If the rumours are true and Pep was indeed a Grigson hire, and given how the play calling is much maligned the only logical step if any changes were to be made would be to let Pep go before the bye and let Pagano pick his OC. At least then he can argue he was given the chance to pick his OC and coach for his job on a level playing field. 

As for all the debate about whether it's Luck changing the plays at the line.. that's a simple fix, if he's making poor decisions at the line, take away his freedom until he's back on it. 

The more I've thought about it, this would be the best course of action. The question of course then would be, who do you bring in as OC?

It's simpler than taking away Luck's freedom to check entirely. Just tell him 'this is a running down,' and he can't check to a pass. And do it sometime before you get to 28 straight pass plays, or whatever it was in the Bills game. That was a complete lack of awareness from everyone on the staff.

As for who would be the OC, if we're talking midseason change, then Chud is the obvious candidate. I loath the thought of Christensen taking over, given how awful he was in 2011, but he couldn't be worse, right?

If we're talking about next season, with that being the only noteworthy coaching change, I'd throw out the dragnet and interview a bunch of guys, rather than just appointing the first guy that pops in everyone's head. Someone who runs some highly efficient WCO stuff, for sure. Someone who recognizes the importance of hot routes and blitz beaters. I automatically want someone from the Packers staff, but they don't let any of their assistants interview.  

yeah I'm curious who will be available really wish we could get that assistant GM of the Ravens but don't think he will leave

He's been on record as saying he wants to stay and has turned down interviews, so unless he gets fired, it's probably not gonna happen.  That's why I picked out Marc Ross.  We interviewed him back in 2012 for the GM position that eventually netted the Colts Grigson.  He was promoted in 2013 as Director of Player Evaluation and has been in charge of the draft (obviously, GM makes final decisions).  He's been, if not the reason, directly responsible for their last 3 draft classes, which included:

2013- Justin Pugh (who wasn't much good as a tackle, but seems a much better fit at guard), Johnathan Hankins, Damontre Moore, 

2014- Odell Beckham, Weston Richburg, Jay Bromley, and UFA Kerry Wynn

2015- Obviously its too early for an accurate evaluation, so I can't really say if this would be considered a strong draft class, but Landon Collins seems to have done well.

I do think that Luck's poor play does have sommething to do with injury and i think it goes back to the Buffalo game when he was intercepted early and like a crazy man goes down and lays out the guy who intercepted him. Not a smart play on his part. I also do not think it was a shoulder injury but rather ribs or both. I was told by a Colt insider before the Pats game that it was definitely ribs. If you watched him throw the short pass Sunday he wasn't raising his arm past shoulder high and had several passes tipped or batted down. He had little touch at all which used to be his trademark.

Also was told by the same guy that Saban is Irsay's guy and has flown into complex twice in Irsay's plane. I have a bit of a hard time with this as i would doubt that Sabin would fly to Indy during the season at all much less twice.

I am for getting rid of Grigson, Pep and Manusky now and letting Chud run the O and let Pagano run the D. Doubt Pagano would go for that as it would be somewhat of a demotion. a

All i can say is that Irsay has to do something as the fan base is getting out of control. It wasn't pretty Sunday within LOS. Fans booing and getting out of hand can't be comfortable for any owner.

He's been on record as saying he wants to stay and has turned down interviews, so unless he gets fired, it's probably not gonna happen. That's why I picked out Marc Ross. We interviewed him back in 2012 for the GM position that eventually netted the Colts Grigson. He was promoted in 2013 as Director of Player Evaluation and has been in charge of the draft (obviously, GM makes final decisions). He's been, if not the reason, directly responsible for their last 3 draft classes, which included:

2013- Justin Pugh (who wasn't much good as a tackle, but seems a much better fit at guard), Johnathan Hankins, Damontre Moore,

2014- Odell Beckham, Weston Richburg, Jay Bromley, and UFA Kerry Wynn

2015- Obviously its too early for an accurate evaluation, so I can't really say if this would be considered a strong draft class, but Landon Collins seems to have done well.

might be a good one to look at

I wonder if irsay would be interested in Scott pioli. Or if pioli would be interested in coming here. He and belichick are very close friends.

The chiefs weren't successful during his time there, but he drafted some awesome players.

yeah he did there are a lot of Chiefs players I really like

I wonder if irsay would be interested in Scott pioli. Or if pioli would be interested in coming here. He and belichick are very close friends.

The chiefs weren't successful during his time there, but he drafted some awesome players.

What about this guy? His resume looks good, much like Reggie McKenzie when he was with the Packers.

http://www.packers.com/team/staff/brian-gutekunst/17567ea1-38e4-4d60-8270-84a5095551dd