Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Irsay should do:

GwinnettColt

Possibilities Irsay could consider  

172 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think Irsay should do?

• Nothing. Keep everyone.
    • Fire Chuck and put Chud in until the end of the season and make a decision then.
    • Fire everyone at the end of the season.
    • Let Grigson, Pep, and Manusky go now. Keep Chuck, put Chud into the OC position and let Chuck handle DC position.
    • Another option

How about opening the checkbook and bringing back "Captain Comeback" Jim Harbaugh.  I know he will have only coached one seaon at Michigan but I do believe that eventually he will be back in pro game.  The absolutely horrific deals that Grigson has made in the past couple of years from trading for Trent Richardson,  and drafting a wide receiver this year, makes it time for him to go.  I wonder if Bill Polian would consider coming back if Irsay acknowledged that he screwed up letting him go in the first place.  Polian's record speaks for itself even with the disappointment of not winning more Super Bowls.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if irsay would be interested in Scott pioli. Or if pioli would be interested in coming here. He and belichick are very close friends.

The chiefs weren't successful during his time there, but he drafted some awesome players.

I have wondered about him too. Other than his foolish trade for Cassel I think he did quite well.

How about opening the checkbook and bringing back "Captain Comeback" Jim Harbaugh.  I know he will have only coached one seaon at Michigan but I do believe that eventually he will be back in pro game.  The absolutely horrific deals that Grigson has made in the past couple of years from trading for Trent Richardson,  and drafting a wide receiver this year, makes it time for him to go.  I wonder if Bill Polian would consider coming back if Irsay acknowledged that he screwed up letting him go in the first place.  Polian's record speaks for itself even with the disappointment of not winning more Super Bowls.

I am a michigan fan, andJim is doing awesome at Mich.  now that being said someday he will return to the pros im sure he is that good, but I dont see him leaving after 1 season,  if this was year 3  maybe.  but if he did leave for the pros after 1 year, the only team I would want that for is the Colts!

If the rumours are true and Pep was indeed a Grigson hire, and given how the play calling is much maligned the only logical step if any changes were to be made would be to let Pep go before the bye and let Pagano pick his OC. At least then he can argue he was given the chance to pick his OC and coach for his job on a level playing field.

As for all the debate about whether it's Luck changing the plays at the line.. that's a simple fix, if he's making poor decisions at the line, take away his freedom until he's back on it.

The more I've thought about it, this would be the best course of action. The question of course then would be, who do you bring in as OC?

We could not hire Chud as the OC at the time because he was still on the Browns pay roll. We chose Pep and then later on we bought Chud in as a consultant. The whole Grigson forced Pep on Pagano thing makes no sense. Grigson made sure we did not lose Chud and he even stated the value of having Chud around. What kind of sense does it make for Grigson to arrogantly force Pep on Chuck and then hire the guy Pagano really wanted as OC. And then from there Grigson goes on to say how valuable Chud is? That makes no sense in my eyes. If Grigson was as arrogant and stupid as people make him out to be he would have never hired Chud in the first place. He would have said Chuck Pep is your OC so deal with it. You will have no parts of that Chud guy on this team because I call the shots! I think what Grigson was trying to with the Pep hire is to keep Luck from learning a new system. So we have Pep in place and then Chud gets axed from Cleveland a couple games into the season. We already had a brand new coordinator in place in Pep so what was Grigson supposed to do? You think he was supposed to say Bye Bye Pep we have Chud now! I think Pagano made it known he liked working with Chud so Grigson brought him in as a consultant. I think he was trying to get the best of both worlds under the circumstances.

I have to admit #4 option was enticing, but I pick another option. I would let Pep go, the offence is a mess & I believe its his play calling and IMO lack of imagination of how to use the weapons to the Colts maximize output. He like a guy with and expensive sports car who only knows how to drive 55. Not a huge fan Grigsons and less if he forced Pep on Chuck. I like Chuck I don't think he is the problem IMO. I would have picked option 4 if Manuskey wasn't part of it,honestly the defense is on the field far to long because of the offence sucking.

I just saw a scary article talking about colts seriously considering firing chuck during the bye week. The scariest part was that pep hamilton could be in the running to replace him..... Grigson needs to go he is in jims ear blamming chuck

It would be funny if Chuck Pagano gets fired and is replaced with...

::Wait for it::

Ryan Grigson! What would make it even better is if Ryan Grigson writes his own paychecks! Even better if Ryan starts hiring some of his family members. Next, he has Irsay assassinated.

I just saw a scary article talking about colts seriously considering firing chuck during the bye week. The scariest part was that pep hamilton could be in the running to replace him..... Grigson needs to go he is in jims ear blamming chuck

Ha, ha, ha....Pep as HC in place of Chuck...now, that would be a disaster...I would cancel my Sunday Ticket and maybe catch the replays on NFL network.

One thing is almost certain.....pep won't be in the running for anything Colts related.

Uh...where to start...  Harbaugh isn't leaving Michigan after a year.  You'd have a better chance stealing an active NFL coach like John Harbaugh (especially if things get heated in Baltimore) than stealing Jim.  As for Polian, he had essentially retired and handed the job over to his useless (and I should capitalize it USELESS!) son to run.  It was his succession plan for the Colts and a big part of the reason we got so old so fast and had no back up QB.   He even admitted he almost drafted Andy Dalton which would have changed NFL history significantly.  He's done with the game and now makes his checks by slogging out supposed sage advice on ESPN which rarely sounds particularly insightful if you watch him.  (In other words, in my opinion, he is also phoning it in there...).  Anyone notice where his son ended up?  I noticed it wasn't here. 

We could not hire Chud as the OC at the time because he was still on the Browns pay roll. We chose Pep and then later on we bought Chud in as a consultant. The whole Grigson forced Pep on Pagano thing makes no sense. Grigson made sure we did not lose Chud and he even stated the value of having Chud around. 

Can anyone actually identify "the value of having Chud around?"  I am unaware of how he is helping us, but if he's worth considering as OC, then why isn't he offering up that sage advice now? Pagano has final say on what plays go in (i.e. I think he could say NO to a play or YES to another play if he so chose to do so, even though Offense isn't his thing).  The biggest reason at this time Pagano will have to go is that we have the #32 defense as of this week.  That is simply unacceptable.  Luck is hurt so all of the other team flaws have become instantly and glaringly ugly. This is likely the best team Luck has had around him and STILL, without him healthy and playing hero ball, this is what we get.   That said, we could win the division with Hasselbeck at QB. We need Luck to play healthy to do any more than that.  I think Luck is at about 25%.  

IMO... bottom line to all this.

1) Pagano was offered a 1 year extension.  

2 ) Colts are 7 point dogs in a prime time game. Vegas and the big betters determine the vegas lines. They then get tweaked by the betting public. Those that say the public that knows nothing set the limes are mostly mistaken. The smart money is not always right but they are saying the Cots are a hot mess right now.

3) Colts appear to be a very poor coached team . Tons of penalties , no continuity on offense and plenty of blown coverages on defense. Half time adjustments seen in NE game is just not a Chuck Pagano endorsement. 

4) Many games in the last two years that the Colts appear ill prepared and not ready tp play

5) Luck regressing in his r4th year in the league. It's been said he didn't get hurt until the end of the Tenn game. Id true . it's on Luck and or the coaching staff. Both will not remain and Luck is not going anywhere.

6) The 4 blowouts and latest loss vs NE isn't helping him.

That said plus what I might have missed and what I don't know , IMO puts Pagano and staff clearly on the edge. If they lose both games vs Carolina and Denver , very possible we get a change during the bye week. 

All the above is stuff that gets coaches fired. Might not be his fault but by my observations , it's the way it works.

Fire Chuck and Pep and Move Chud into HC position and let him decide if he wants to keep manusky and also promote someone to OC

who? The only other coach they really have with play calling experience is Clyde and I think I'd rather stick with Pep than go back to Clyde calling plays.

Pep and Clyde do not belong on a NFL team in any major coaching capacity...not OC, HC, QB coach.

Rather that is the case or not that's what the Colts have for this season.  Another option and the option they might pick is to fire Pep and put Chud in as the OC to finish the season.  Frankly, unless the team just flat out doesn't show up the next two weeks I don't think Pagano is such a huge problem you have to address him during the season as long as the guys are still playing hard for him.  However, if this high powered offense still can't get out of first gear firing Pep and going to Chud would probably be the option I would pick. 

who? The only other coach they really have with play calling experience is Clyde and I think I'd rather stick with Pep than go back to Clyde calling plays.

Clyde wasn't necessarily bad at calling plays. He was bad at gameplanning, for sure, and trying to run the Manning offense with Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter made that obvious. In that respect, he's a bad OC. But if he tried to run the Manning stuff with Luck, I'd actually welcome that. 

Still, his work with Collins and Painter was sooo ugly, I have no desire to ever see him with a play sheet in his hand again, at least not on the Colts sideline. I've been wondering since 2012 why he didn't fall through the trap door with the rest of the old staff.

Clyde wasn't necessarily bad at calling plays. He was bad at gameplanning, for sure, and trying to run the Manning offense with Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter made that obvious. In that respect, he's a bad OC. But if he tried to run the Manning stuff with Luck, I'd actually welcome that. 

Still, his work with Collins and Painter was sooo ugly, I have no desire to ever see him with a play sheet in his hand again, at least not on the Colts sideline. I've been wondering since 2012 why he didn't fall through the trap door with the rest of the old staff.

If they do anything I'd rather them dump Pep and put Chud in at OC.  If they do anything.

if they make a change I bet it will be during the bye.

If the Colts manage to get these next two wins, they won't do anything during the bye. Nor should they.

I just want to see the offense perform the way we know it's capable of performing. I don't care who the coordinator is, but if Pep can't see the obvious, then he should go. If he somehow finally gets it now, and it translates into better play moving forward, then great. Shouldn't have taken so long, and he probably should have had the play sheet taken from him at halftime last week, but all that matters is what happens going forward. Hopefully they've triaged and stabilized, and can salvage the season. If not, they can do the major operations in the offseason. 

If the Colts manage to get these next two wins, they won't do anything during the bye. Nor should they.

That's certainly possible, as the Colts staff will be on a roller coaster of emotions, having defeated both an unbeaten Carolina and Broncos team (I assume the Broncos will be undefeated, considering they're currently spanking Green bay 24-10; Q3). There's no way staff can be fired after a performance like that. Having said that, I don't see that happening. I think Carolina is going to kill us.

If the Colts manage to get these next two wins, they won't do anything during the bye. Nor should they. I like how they are sticking with what they do and not getting away from what works.

I just want to see the offense perform the way we know it's capable of performing. I don't care who the coordinator is, but if Pep can't see the obvious, then he should go. If he somehow finally gets it now, and it translates into better play moving forward, then great. Shouldn't have taken so long, and he probably should have had the play sheet taken from him at halftime last week, but all that matters is what happens going forward. Hopefully they've triaged and stabilized, and can salvage the season. If not, they can do the major operations in the offseason.

Much of the stuff I see Peyton doing in this Green Bay game with the run and play action is what I think we ought to be doing with Andrew. It would be deadly with Gore and Bradshaw. Maybe even Robinson if he would hold on to the football.

That's certainly possible, as the Colts staff will be on a roller coaster of emotions, having defeated both an unbeaten Carolina and Broncos team (I assume the Broncos will be undefeated, considering they're currently spanking Green bay 24-10; Q3). There's no way staff can be fired after a performance like that. Having said that, I don't see that happening. I think Carolina is going to kill us.

Carolina isn't as good as their record indicates. All due respect, but they can be had. It should go without saying, however, that we absolutely have to play MUCH better than we've been playing so far.

Much of the stuff I see Peyton doing in this Green Bay game with the run and play action is what I think we ought to be doing with Andrew. It would be deadly with Gore and Bradshaw. Maybe even Robinson if he would hold on to the football.

You mean how they're running the ball and using play action? Yeah, I agree.

You mean how they're running the ball and using play action? Yeah, I agree.

Yes. Not necessarily the exact same plays but the way they are attacking. When you watch this offense you are not asking yourself what the heck it is they were trying to accomplish with this play or that play like you do when watching our offense. You know the Broncos want to run to gain yards and suck people in to create separation for chunk plays and first downs in the passing game. It's real simple!

Yes. Not necessarily the exact same plays but the way they are attacking. When you watch this offense you are not asking yourself what the heck it is they were trying to accomplish with this play or that play like you do when watching our offense. You know the Broncos want to run to gain yards and suck people in to create separation for chunk plays and first downs. It's real simple!

In the first half, they ran a screen pass to slow Owen Daniels for a first down. 

How come we can't run screens?

In the first half, they ran a screen pass to slow Owen Daniels for a first down.

How come we can't run screens?

Screens, delays, dump offs. It's really really frustrating. Especially to see a good flow with MH in there but caos with Luck in there.

Regardless if Pep was somehow to magically put a good game plan together and make actual adjustments that work and make sense. Versus regress us. I'm over the Pep era. If Pagano, Grigson and others need to go as well then so be it. Especially if rumors turn out to be true about Grigson.

For the guys that want to fire Grigson and keep Pagano. You realize that most Gms want to bring in there own HC over inheriting one. So your either hurting your chance of getting a good GM or you get a GM that can throw the HC under the bus in a heart beat because he can play the "I didn't bring him in" argument.

Granted you could have Pagano in the hiring process but your still limiting your hiring Pool