Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Positives & Negatives of game 1

Lawrence Owen

Positives:

D-line looks good. ALOT of penetration all game from Anderson and Langford. 

Run defense of the line looks good, don't let those numbers fool you, alot of that was the QB, and missed tackles of the MLB's...the D-line looked top notch IMO.  Shady had what,,,2.5-3 YPC?

We can run the ball.  I have no idea why we didn't run the ball more often from the get go. Every run but 1 was 4+ yards.

Negatives:

MLB's killing us.  Freeman and DQ were bad.  

Butler cannot be an outside corner...it is quite obvious he's a nickle where he excels.

Containment was poor.

Missed tackles at LB and Corner positions killed us.

Pretty accurate and even-keeled assessment.

I'll add a few:

- WRs did not play the ball well in the air.

- Special Teams play was lackluster.

- Turnovers.

- WR drops (AJ was wide open on that 2-pt conversion attempt).

- Luck pressured early and often.

- Luck a bit too inaccurate today.

Positives:

Run defense of the line looks good, don't let those numbers fool you, alot of that was the QB, and missed tackles of the MLB's...the D-line looked top notch IMO.  Shady had what,,,2.5-3 YPC?

We can run the ball.  I have no idea why we didn't run the ball more often from the get go. Every run but 1 was 4+ yards.

Negatives:

Butler cannot be an outside corner...it is quite obvious he's a nickle where he excels.

Containment was poor.

I'm just glad to see a non "Chicken Little" thread.  

We have to remember, it's a marathon.  Neither us nor the Bills are going to be the same team at the end of December.  

We have a lot of young guys and new vets who have to get better through experience.

I didn't see the game, but I saw the play Percy beat him on & that was sorry to say the least. Inexcusable to get beat on a 51 Yd TD when you have an 8 yd cushion. Toler & Smith need to get back in a hurry.

Today was rough for sure. Really wish we would have spent some time on building the defense up this off season. I get tired of running teams etc just barreling right through us. Makes things hard when the D is so-so and we have Luck and the gang off as well. Hopefully things will meld together sooner than later. 

Edited by 21isSuperman

Thoughts:

Just because we have all these awesome WR corps and Luck doesn't mean we have to keep attacking downfield? Our best drive was the one where we dinked and dunked & ran the ball. Especially in foreign conditions with rain and a suspect O line, I feel this is the best strategy. Moreover it sets up the big throws like what Tyrod did with Harvin. Instead, we keep forcing the ball into traffic.

Is it just me or did Luck's throws early on look very slow and floaty?

I feel bad but I was honestly glad that TY had to leave the game, Luck was just honing in on him every. damn. time. What's the point of all the new weapons if we are going to do what we are going to do?

Also, I know this is the first game and I can forgive the loss, but things are looking very, very familiar.

Edited by 21isSuperman

Positives:  Oline got serious about blocking..in the fourth quarter and the offense got yards.   Run game looked good when we used it.  D line looked adequate as they got some pressure.  

Negatives:  Middle linebackers looked as if they couldn't make a tackle nor cover.  Coaches looked confused.  The team just threw in the towel from the third play of the game until the last five minutes of the fourth quarter.  

Positives:

The Defensive Line: Anderson had 8 Tackles, and 1 Assist, even saw him run down Taylor 20 yards down the field.

McCoy was held to 42 yards on 17 carries, of which 1 was 16 yards way after the game was over.

Clayton Geathers: Awesome stop on that 4th quarter drive, batting that ball up in the air.

Luck: It seemed like there were only about 3 guys on Offense that cared today, Luck's heart is never in question. Though he did try to do a bit too much. 

Varga: Solid rushing for a UDFA, and he even had a couple really good Kick Returns too.

The Bad:

The Offensive line: We've known this for.... four years, heck, we've gotta reach waaaay back to the Manning Years to find a solid O-Line for the Colts.

Trent Cole: 12 guys had more tackles than Cole. 12. Really, all the linebackers belong here. Out of position a lot, lazy in coverage, undisciplined in containment. We are a 3-4, so there's no reason that a Lineman should be outplaying the ILBs.

Dorsett: Granted we don't typically expect too much from a rookie, especially on game 1, but the lights weren't out in the stadium until he muffed his second punt of the day. I'm starting to move to Team Whalen on punt returns.

The biggest weakness on the team and has been since Luck was drafted is the o-line. AC is the only good o-linemen and Polian drafted him. Anderson, Davis, Parry, and Langford played well. Everyone else weren't good.

I think Mewhort was a good pick. But all in all this front office and/or coaching staff has been pretty unsuccessful when it comes to putting up a quality O-line.

Positives:

The Defensive Line: Anderson had 8 Tackles, and 1 Assist, even saw him run down Taylor 20 yards down the field.

McCoy was held to 42 yards on 17 carries, of which 1 was 16 yards way after the game was over.

Clayton Geathers: Awesome stop on that 4th quarter drive, batting that ball up in the air.

Luck: It seemed like there were only about 3 guys on Offense that cared today, Luck's heart is never in question. Though he did try to do a bit too much.

Varga: Solid rushing for a UDFA, and he even had a couple really good Kick Returns too.

The Bad:

The Offensive line: We've known this for.... four years, heck, we've gotta reach waaaay back to the Manning Years to find a solid O-Line for the Colts.

Trent Cole: 12 guys had more tackles than Cole. 12. Really, all the linebackers belong here. Out of position a lot, lazy in coverage, undisciplined in containment. We are a 3-4, so there's no reason that a Lineman should be outplaying the ILBs.

Dorsett: Granted we don't typically expect too much from a rookie, especially on game 1, but the lights weren't out in the stadium until he muffed his second punt of the day. I'm starting to move to Team Whalen on punt returns.

they should've done that period we've never been great at returning just have someone there with great hands to fair catch it

I actually thought the O line looked decent most of the game considering the opponent. That could have been much worse. I think the pressure Luck did see had a lot to do with the coverage downfield. Not a lot of separation by our WR's and TE's.

Butler looked bad on the outside. Terrible actually. Toler gets a lot of crap on here, basically because he's not as good as Vontae and he occasionally whiffs on a play, but he's brilliant outside compared to Butler. Can't wait until they get him back inside where he makes a difference.

I see very little positive, other than it is just week one and one game. The Colts looked soft, and unprepared. Perhaps plying some more in preseason would help... the injuries came anyway and we didn't look like we were in football shape. Even Luck looked off. This team has a lot to improve or this season will be over before we now it. Very sad, but a lot has to go back to the coaches, Pagano just didn't have tem prepared, we were definitely out coached.

Positives:

Negatives:

Containment was poor.

This is accurate, LB's had a terrible game and don't forget penalties hurt us.  Turnovers hurt, Andrew has to be more responsible with the football!  Vontae was a pure stud today.  It was a record-breaking attendance day in Buffalo, they were jacked and that's a good team which made this a tough draw.  Glad this one is over.

It's hard to pinpoint Pep's gameplans.  What was he trying to do today?  We come out running effectively, then we abandon it.  We go pass crazy into the wind to include down field passes.  All the while our biggest downfield passing threat (presumably Dorsett) sits the bench.  We seem to go in and out of hurry-up offense and in the end the offense lacks rhythm and identity to me.  

Good news for me anyway is I'm optimistic about both lines.  

And the problem with that is, once other teams get tape on how to tame our offense.....more times then not, its successfully duplicated. For such a "explosive" offense, they get shut down quite easily.

I get your point. I might suggest you could be discounting how good this defense is from a talent perspective and how good Rex is at coaching defense.  Look at what they did last year versus Brady and Rogers. They're good!  My point is you can't replicate that talent and nobody coaches the "46" like Rex. We have another good D next week in the Jets, we'll see if we learned anything.

I actually thought the O line looked decent most of the game considering the opponent. That could have been much worse. I think the pressure Luck did see had a lot to do with the coverage downfield. Not a lot of separation by our WR's and TE's.

Butler looked bad on the outside. Terrible actually. Toler gets a lot of crap on here, basically because he's not as good as Vontae and he occasionally whiffs on a play, but he's brilliant outside compared to Butler. Can't wait until they get him back inside where he makes a difference.

Butler never looks good outside the coaches should already know this, but he is a very good nickel corner; which is a good/necessary thing to have ... Grigson should have a reliable backup plan for Toler since he always injured. 

I will say this, that was one of the best coverage defensive performances I've seen. Those guys were playing the ball like bloodhounds and getting a hand on everything. Rex has to be thrilled with what he saw today

Yeah if they manage to play that way every game, ouch! That D is really something special, it must be nice.

Luck was not very accurate at all. When I stopped counting, he whiffed on 6 passes with bad accuracy. Put the ball on mark and the O would have been cruising. I really like Luck, he's a stud, but he has to get more accurate to truly be elite.

I also did not like the play calling on O today. I still have my doubts about Pep, to be perfectly honest.

Very disappointed in the run defense. This has been a weakness for over a decade now.

Langford and the D-line looked pretty good, though.