Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are You Worried About This Team?

BProland85

I'm worried about Newsome this year, he hasn't shown anything in the preseason so far. I know it's preseason, but he has hardly even been near the QB....

Save energy for the real thing. And a vanilla defense, Newsome will be fine. Not worried about the teams sack leader from last year at all

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me personally, I am a little worried this team may underachieve this year due to their horrendous OL and lack of playmakers in the front seven on defense.

Until Grigson makes a big move to sure up the OL, by trading for an available RT and then moving mewhort back to LG, I see this OL struggling this season.

The NFL is a game of matchups, and week one already has a big matchup nightmare for the colts with Buffalos great DL.

Hahahahahahahahaha I can't anymore

Me personally, I am a little worried this team may underachieve this year due to their horrendous OL and lack of playmakers in the front seven on defense.

Until Grigson makes a big move to sure up the OL, by trading for an available RT and then moving mewhort back to LG, I see this OL struggling this season.

The NFL is a game of matchups, and week one already has a big matchup nightmare for the colts with Buffalos great DL.

Hahahahahahahahaha I can't anymore

Yup I don't get the thread either. Our front 7 may be one of the best in the league and our o line has looked solid and Luck was never touched against a very very good rams d-line. Not sure if OP has even been paying attention to these preseason games.

Front 7 best in the league? Really? And I live in Nashville, TN so you're right I'm not able to watch the preseason games. I have however been listening to all the Indy sports analysts saying how poor the OL has looked. And allowing Aaron Donald to do what he did is not acceptable. I know he's a great player, but you have to block him to some degree.

My lack of concern regarding the offense is the elimination of wasted touches. No more force-feeding Richardson, no more lame route-running from Hakeem Nicks or stone-handed drops from DHB. Everyone on our offense is now a playmaker, all of whom can and will do damage with the ball in their hands.

For instance, we had Andre Johnson lined up in the slot the other night, which netted an EASY 32 yard TD on 3rd and 11. Andre Johnson, slot receiver. Who saw that coming??? Small wrinkles like that are just going to make DC's lose their minds. And again, that's just a tiny sample. I'm excited to see some of the tricks Pep has up his sleeve come week 1.

As far as defense goes, they're going to be more of a work in progress, but I think they'll be solid out of the gate. Front 7 seems to be improved, and LBs are probably deeper than what we give them credit for, and I don't really have any concerns about the secondary.

Front 7 best in the league? Really? And I live in Nashville, TN so you're right I'm not able to watch the preseason games. I have however been listening to all the Indy sports analysts saying how poor the OL has looked. And allowing Aaron Donald to do what he did is not acceptable. I know he's a great player, but you have to block him to some degree.

Yes the front 7 run defense has been very stout and I don't know which Indy pundits you're talking about but they're wrong about the o-line. Its not a top 5 line but its not horrendous either.

I hope this squad doesn't get bombed by teams who are more committed to running and stopping the run as they have in the last few years. I don't think that possibility will derail this season being largely successful, but if they don't win it all (or have postseason wins), the odds will be good that it's because the overall talent level in the trenches isn't on par with the top half of the NFL.

That's really only happened with the Patriots. Most of the other losses can be attributed to, one, the Colts consistently falling behind because they tried too hard to establish a power running game, and/or two, the defense not being able to defend anything over the middle of the field.

Edited by 21isSuperman

Yes let's make a trade for Khalil Mack, Ricky Wagner and Navarro Bowman. Trade away our 1st and 2nd for Mack. Next years 1st for Bowman and the following years 1st for Wagner. Why has no one ever thought of that before?? Let's go make it happen. #Superbowl #Dynasty Let's be the only team EVER to not have a single hole in the entire roster and then let's get Luck to sign for 5 million dollars so we can afford our megatalented roster!!!!!

You haven't seen anything well that explains the insightfulness of this thread....

I could see where you would think that BUT it's not like this OL was a juggernaut last year and they still made it to the AFC Championship game.  Now they have a legit #1 RB and have added weapons at WR.  The OL is about what it was last year.  The D has added a few pieces as well.  And Luck has another year of experience under his belt.  Will it be easy?  Of course not.  It never is.  But I think they will and should be one of the AFC favorites.

I too am worried about week 1.  Buffalo certainly presents challenges.  But even if they lose week 1 the season is not lost.  Just look back to last season where they went 0-1 in Denver.

Nope not worried, The team is a playoff team if everyone stay healthy and once you get in anything goes, I expect we will be able to protect Luck. I think we will run the ball a little better but not much, If we can run better then that means less time our D Linemen have to be on the field if we take of the ball. Long drives given up means D Linemen getting winded, Winded D Linemen means more mistakes being made up front. Linebacker have to be able to come down hill and make big tackle and hit...They have to attack the ball

This^^^ Injuries have killed us during the Luck era.

I agree the O Line will be better. We have Holmes healthy. That was the big worry last yr.

We played the same 5 for 3 straight games. That's encouraging. I hope they all sit Thursday.

Mewhort is going to be fine at RT. I am on of the ones that believed he was drafted to take over for Godser. By the end of the year we will have our bookends.

Louis isn't nearly as bad as the board makes him out to be. Herremans is looking better.

It just preseason.

Louis was horrible it was on the table for everyone to see he was beat constantly I dont know who his replacement should be but there are some high school guards still available

Am I worried about this team? No, I think the team will have another winning season -- Winning the AFC South and making it into the playoffs.

I don't think we can rely too much on preseason games to assess whether the O-line is good or not, but I do find it amusing that the same people who used the excuse "it's just preseason" to justify the O-lines' sub-par performance two weeks ago point to last weeks game to say that the O-line isn't that bad. Wasn't last week's game also just a preseason game?

yes, I am worried. No more or less than any Colts team that has been out there going back to Peyton's days. Confusing draft picks & mis-steps on free agency go back to the Polian days. It seems to be the culture for Indy. If I was a betting man, I would not bet the house on the Colts to win the super bowl. IMO, the trophy still goes thru New England, Seattle or Green Bay. They have both sides of the ball covered. I think that any Colts fans would agree playing outside in January is going to be problematic, especially in Foxboro. I don't look forward to the Pittsburgh game in December either. 

yes, I am worried. No more or less than any Colts team that has been out there going back to Peyton's days. Confusing draft picks & mis-steps on free agency go back to the Polian days. It seems to be the culture for Indy. If I was a betting man, I would not bet the house on the Colts to win the super bowl. IMO, the trophy still goes thru New England, Seattle or Green Bay. They have both sides of the ball covered. I think that any Colts fans would agree playing outside in January is going to be problematic, especially in Foxboro. I don't look forward to the Pittsburgh game in December either. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25233159/oddsmakers-packers-are-new-favorite-to-win-super-bowl-50

Vegas favors the Colts ahead of the Patriots.

Also, the Packers, Seahawks and Patriots didn't have to completely rebuild their rosters over the last three years, and on the fly. It's time for the Colts to take a major step forward, but it's not surprising that those teams have more complete and balanced rosters.

There's definitely reason to be concerned. But, there's also reason to be optomisitic. No question that the OL needs to come together. They showed flashes of playing well at the end of last season but that group has now been changed and the biggest questions are the RT and C position with LG not far behind. They are for the most part young but this group needs time together.

I agree also about the defensive front 7. Saying Mathis and Cole and Newsome are playmakers is a bit of a stretch. I wouldnt say that if Mathis was not coming off of an achilles injury which almost always robs a person of some speed and exlpoiveness. Cole isnt what I would say is a dominant pass rusher and Newsome is still a question mark. Now the down line has lost a significant piece with Art Jones being injured.

Having said all that as long as Andrew Luck stays healthy this team is dangerous.

An odd bit of timing....

Today I went through each conference to figure out the record of all 32 teams.

I have a number of teams with double-digit wins...   10-12.    No one with more than 12.     I don't see a great team in the NFL this year.

But I only have one team with 12 wins.    And that's Indianapolis.    Perhaps it's our 6 divisional games.    But I think we're a better team this year than last.    So, I think 12 is a possibility.    Yes, we could win 11 again, but I don't see the Colts winning 10.

I think it's 11 or 12,  with 12 being somewhat more likely.

So, to answer the question of the OP.....    uhhhh....   NO, I don't worry about the 2015 Colts.

I think our OL will be better this year and our running game will be better as well.

The Jones loss is a worry.     But while that may hurt our defense, I don't think it's the difference between reaching the playoffs and not.

5-1 or 4-2 in our Division this season??  I would say it is 40% it is 4-2. lol

Statistically Newsome hasn't shown up sack wise but I've seen him be disruptive and get in position to make a play, he just needs to finish. I think he has a very good year with somewhere in the ballpark of 10 sacks.  

Newsome will be just fine against the pass, but I didn't see anything from him in the preseason to indicate to me that he's gotten better at setting an edge defending the run.  This is what I am worried he will take into the regular season. Crossing my fingers on that issue J New...

Newsome will be just fine against the pass, but I didn't see anything from him in the preseason to indicate to me that he's gotten better at setting an edge defending the run.  This is what I am worried he will take into the regular season. Crossing my fingers on that issue J New...

One play that stuck out to me was where Newsome burst through the line and instead of a TFL he let the RB get free run the opposite way for a TD.

A mild thing I'm worried about is it seems we don't have any vocal leaders on defense.  Everybody seems to be a quiet kind of do your job type of guy.  Doesn't seem like we have any emotional leaders outside of maybe Vontae and possibly Mathis when he returns.  I'd feel a little better if we had a couple guys on the D that everyone can rally around.  Guys like a Ray Lewis and Ed Reed for example and I am not talking about the type of players they were more so than I am talking about the fiery personalities that could rally the troops and put everyone in instant focus on attack mode.  To me we don't seem to have guys like that.  I have a feeling Nate Irving could be that type of guy but I don't really see anybody else.  Just my 2 cents!

With the loss of Thomas (though I'm not sure we ever really had him), I'd like to see an FA O-lineman signed, preferrably a LG but a Tackle would be ok, too.

I would like that too, however there is literally nobody out there that can help our situation that is an available FA guard. Maybe after the next round of cuts, someone may pop out, but it's basically slim to none right now.

General consensus is your main competetion for a SB run will come out of the east. Your guys will need their snuggies a couple of times this winter.