Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano: Nate Irving can compete for a starting spot.

Dustin

I love that Pagano is saying this. I was upset when we got rid of Andrew Jackson, but he was just depth and nothing more. Irving is 26 and has the potential to be our best ILB. He can stop the run and he can tackle. This might be my favorite signing, not because he's the best player, but because he can make a huge difference and is young. Hopefully that ACL tear doesn't ruin him next year.

freeman hasnt even be re signed yet. accoriding to the wiki the team made an offer on march 5th that has yet to be accepted

I stopped using Wiki back in sophomore year of high school when they told me Tupac had a role in the assassination of Abe Lincoln

:facepalm:

freeman hasnt even be re signed yet. accoriding to the wiki the team made an offer on march 5th that has yet to be accepted

No one is going to sign him away from the Colts and give us their second round pick. So if Freeman wants to play in the NFL in 2015 he plays for the Colts at the 2,356,000 tender. It's that simple as he's not good enough nor in a position to hold out.

I expect him to have a starting role come the start of the new season, I think he beats out Freeman IMO. 

i would rather him start next to Freeman who has played well for us and actually has coverage ability unlike D'qwell Jackson.

Irving and Freeman would be solid starters IMO

No one is going to sign him away from the Colts and give us their second round pick. So if Freeman wants to play in the NFL in 2015 he plays for the Colts at the 2,356,000 tender. It's that simple as he's not good enough nor in a position to hold out.

I was just going to post the same thing.  It would be great if someone thought he was worth a 2nd round pick though.

I was assuming Irving would be in on the run downs.  He's not known for his coverage skills.

i would rather him start next to Freeman who has played well for us and actually has coverage ability unlike D'qwell Jackson.

Irving and Freeman would be solid starters IMO

IMO i think D'Qwell had a better season then Freeman had, my only knock on Jackson is his age. I think Freeman is undersized as an ILB. he plays well but he often gets lost in the wash. I like him as a LB on Nickel downs. 

IMO i think D'Qwell had a better season then Freeman had, my only knock on Jackson is his age. I think Freeman is undersized as an ILB. he plays well but he often gets lost in the wash. I like him as a LB on Nickel downs. 

he was terrible last season until the last couple of games and only ok in those and he can't cover anybody and Irving does

not do well in coverage either and i don't like watching slot WR's and TE's eat us alive all year again

Exactly, no one will sign him and Colts will have depth as heʻs already familiar with the defense and with Jackson-Irving they will be well rested, but I hope they get Pollard then a S in 3rd or 4th as we need 1st and 2nd for D-line/O-line

I love that Pagano is saying this. I was upset when we got rid of Andrew Jackson, but he was just depth and nothing more. Irving is 26 and has the potential to be our best ILB. He can stop the run and he can tackle. This might be my favorite signing, not because he's the best player, but because he can make a huge difference and is young. Hopefully that ACL tear doesn't ruin him next year.

They get over these new surgeries very quickly now compared to the past. 

he was terrible last season until the last couple of games and only ok in those and he can't cover anybody and Irving does

not do well in coverage either and i don't like watching slot WR's and TE's eat us alive all year again

He did well enough to earn him a spot on the Pro Bowl Roster!!!

I would expect to see him play on run downs and rotate Freeman in on passing downs. Freeman is excellent in coverage but I think he can be a liability in run defense. I haven't looked at his numbers but I just know we missed several tackles or had times where the runners are able to lean forward for those extra couple yards that if we cleaned up we can have a much better down and distance.