Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

offensive line

superrep1967

Well if Mewhort continues to grow and improve, and if Herramans comes back and plays like he always has, and if Cherilus is healthy/not in pain then it should be fine. If its not I guess then next offseason Grigs will finally figure it out and go buy a line in free agency. Just my opinion of course, but as for a former O-Lineman himself Grigson sure has trouble finding/spotting talent in the Draft/FA. I wish we could find that Cory Lindsey in the late rounds or a Brandon Linder in the 3rd.

How are we on the o-line now?

Are we good to go or do we need more help?

I think it depends on Cherilus injury situation.

72 Harrison, Jonotthan C 6-4 308 23 2 Florida 62 Holmes, Khaled C/G 6-3 309 25 3 USC

65 Arkin, David G 6-5 307 27 4 Missouri State   Heenan, Ben G 6-4 315 25 R Saskatchewan 79 Herremans, Todd G 6-6 321 32 11 Saginaw Valley State 60 Louis, Lance G 6-3 330 29 6 San Diego State 76 Reitz, Joe G 6-7 325 29 5 Western Michigan 66 Thomas, Donald G 6-4 303 29 8 Connecticut 69 Thornton, Hugh G 6-3 336 23 3 Illinois

74 Castonzo, Anthony T 6-7 311 26 5 Boston College 78 Cherilus, Gosder T 6-7 316 30 8 Boston College 73 Hall, Matt T 6-9 326 24 2 Belhaven 64 Hoover, Tyler T 6-7 297 25 1 Michigan State 68 John, Ulrick T 6-5 300 22 2 Georgia State 75 Mewhort, Jack T/G 6-6 308 23 2 Ohio State

15 people as of right now, which probably means the Colts are done in FA and possibly the draft. This is enough personnel for 1st string, 2nd string, and PS. Unless someone Really good falls down the draft board....???

If Thomas stays and is healthy, he'd go nicely back into the LG position and if Cherilus isn't, maybe Mewhort could take over at RT while a rookie RT learns the ropes.  

Nice to have Reitz, Harrison, and Thornton back for depth.  

Edit:  I forgot all about Ulrick John.  Oops.

Minus Trent so they are better off from that perspective, so if the trend continues with backs not named Trent, they will have a lead back averaging 4.5+ a carry

T-Rich had nothing to do with Luck being the most hit qb in the league.

In fact he was a pretty decent pass blocking back.

Like mentioned above the key is RT. If Cherilus is healthy and plays well we might have a decent line, if not we`ll have to fix it OR it will a Disappointing unit once again.

he has everything to do with it when your running back cant find and hit the holes during walk throughs on thursdays let alone the game...making us pass 100% more than run

Edited by 21isSuperman

Like mentioned above the key is RT. If Cherilus is healthy and plays well we might have a decent line, if not we`ll have to fix it OR it will a Disappointing unit once again.

That's not squarely on the OL either. Luck is extremely stubborn, and I'm not saying it's a bad thing, when it comes to trying to extend plays. He holds on to the ball a little longer than he should and due to that he gets hit a lot more than he should as well.

You're right about RT. It's a question mark and certainly bigger need than NT, a position which this board is currently freaking out about.

Luck had Luck mostly to blame for being hit. He extended plays and took more hits than he should have.

HOWEVAH ... He was the 8th LEAST sacked QB in the league. Pass protection was greatly improved. The addition of the new G, and our younger players getting more experience should help.

As far as running the ball, I agree, it's "prove it to me" time. Gore will not fix the run game on his own.

If Thomas stays and is healthy, he'd go nicely back into the LG position and if Cherilus isn't, maybe Mewhort could take over at RT while a rookie RT learns the ropes.  

Nice to have Reitz, Harrison, and Thornton back for depth.  

Edit:  I forgot all about Ulrick John.  Oops.

i tihnk you leave Mewhort where he is. Castonzo and him have played extremely well over there. As it stands now if Thomas is kept he's probably a back up or battling for the starting right guard spot. The one game Mewhort played at right tackle last year he struggled so if Gosder can't go there I tihnk they either draft a young tackle or use Thomas, John, or reitz as the back up option there.

Well, you can expect Castonzo, Reitz and Cherilus (all veterans) to play at about the same level.  However, Holmes, Mewhort, Harrison and Thorton are all young and should improve with each year.  Then adding Herreman, who is supposed to be better than what we have, would lead me to think we'll be better than last year, minus major injuries.  That being said, I think we draft another Olineman which makes us even better.....and yes, it DOES matter that TRich isn't in the backfield and Gore is. 

Luck had Luck mostly to blame for being hit. He extended plays and took more hits than he should have.

HOWEVAH ... He was the 8th LEAST sacked QB in the league. Pass protection was greatly improved. The addition of the new G, and our younger players getting more experience should help.

As far as running the ball, I agree, it's "prove it to me" time. Gore will not fix the run game on his own.

The left side of the line was but the rest of the line was not up to par. I do agree that some of it is that Luck needs to quicken his release but center was a revolving door, right guard was inconsistent, and right tackle didn't play well most of the time. I think you're right that improving the running game in addition to Luck making his release quicker would help. I'm confident that Herremans can be an upgrade at RG, but with Cherlius and his knee problems I don't if we have an answer at RT. Also, imagine what this line would look like if Castonzo went down. We'd be freaking screwed. 

If Cherilus is healthy next season, we'll have a good line. Herramans(however you spell his name) will be a improvement over Thornton. Thornton has potential, but he needs to sit down for maybe a year or two to work on his fundamentals. Holmes did pretty well while he was the starter at center. Not going to blow you away with his performance, but he gets the job done better than Harrison. We're not going to have a o-line like Dallas, but it'll be a improvement from last season.

One huge help was a subtraction....   TR being gone.      

It's all about health...         I wish for just one dang year this team could roll without staying in the top half of games missed to injury for starters.     

How are we on the o-line now?

Are we good to go or do we need more help?

I think it depends on Cherilus injury situation.

There are two young, mid-twenties, experienced OL free agents who should be relatively inexpensive that I'd like us to pick up.  We can't go into the season with two rookie centers, neither of whom have played a full year.  Therefore, I say go for Wisniewski (C-Oak) and Barksdale (T/G-Rams).   Good depth, maybe a starter.

That's not squarely on the OL either. Luck is extremely stubborn, and I'm not saying it's a bad thing, when it comes to trying to extend plays. He holds on to the ball a little longer than he should and due to that he gets hit a lot more than he should as well.

That type of play had Rothlesburger hoisting 2 trophies. Luck could hoist multiples also

if the team focused on the lines and defense.

It was improved...at times. Other times it looked like fish stool.

There are two young, mid-twenties, experienced OL free agents who should be relatively inexpensive that I'd like us to pick up.  We can't go into the season with two rookie centers, neither of whom have played a full year.  Therefore, I say go for Wisniewski (C-Oak) and Barksdale (T/G-Rams).   Good depth, maybe a starter.

What two rookie centers are you talking about? Holmes is going to be in his third year, Harrison in his second year. 

I'd take both Wisniewski and Barksdale at the right price.

Nothing was done to improve the Oline! Other than sign a 30+ Declining player coming off and injured riddled season,, Holmes was not good when he played Check out the patriots game he gets manhandled on almost every play!! Our RG situation is also up for grabs.. I feel like our Oline is filled with too many and, ifs or buts.. If Thomas and Cherlius are healthy if Holmes and Thorton decide to play.. Sick and tired of the Oline being a joke... Wisnewski isn't still out ther just saying...

I imagine we add some ol help in the draft at some point. Whether it's DL, S, LB, or OL in no particular order I think those will be targets in the draft....likely a wr and probably a RB late or u drafted free agent. I think we have plans that our starting 5 is already on the roster but we will continue to build in the trenches for the future.

Nothing was done to improve the Oline! Other than sign a 30+ Declining player coming off and injured riddled season,, Holmes was not good when he played Check out the patriots game he gets manhandled on almost every play!! Our RG situation is also up for grabs.. I feel like our Oline is filled with too many and, ifs or buts.. If Thomas and Cherlius are healthy if Holmes and Thorton decide to play.. Sick and tired of the Oline being a joke... Wisnewski isn't still out ther just saying...

I agree!

No one was getting open. Andrew Luck could've had 3 minutes to throw the ball and it wouldn't have mattered.

I think Herremans is penciled in at RG, and that's an improvement. And it looks like we might roll with Cherilus at RT, which is okay if he's 100%. If not, Reitz is ready and waiting, and even Mewhort and Herremans can play RT if we need to do some shuffling. 

But to me, retaining Reitz and grabbing Herremans is a bigger deal than it might seem. And there's still the draft, with several guard/tackle prospects.

Our line in the playoffs actually didn't look too terrible, Was it the Cowboys line, no, but it was decent. Problem is we abandoned the run far too early in the AFCG, but other than that, we pretty much did what we want and boom got some very nice runs. I think a healthy GC and Thomas plus the Herreman addition, I think we'll be okay

72 Harrison, Jonotthan C 6-4 308 23 2 Florida 62 Holmes, Khaled C/G 6-3 309 25 3 USC

65 Arkin, David G 6-5 307 27 4 Missouri State   Heenan, Ben G 6-4 315 25 R Saskatchewan 79 Herremans, Todd G 6-6 321 32 11 Saginaw Valley State 60 Louis, Lance G 6-3 330 29 6 San Diego State 76 Reitz, Joe G 6-7 325 29 5 Western Michigan 66 Thomas, Donald G 6-4 303 29 8 Connecticut 69 Thornton, Hugh G 6-3 336 23 3 Illinois

74 Castonzo, Anthony T 6-7 311 26 5 Boston College 78 Cherilus, Gosder T 6-7 316 30 8 Boston College 73 Hall, Matt T 6-9 326 24 2 Belhaven 64 Hoover, Tyler T 6-7 297 25 1 Michigan State 68 John, Ulrick T 6-5 300 22 2 Georgia State 75 Mewhort, Jack T/G 6-6 308 23 2 Ohio State

15 people as of right now, which probably means the Colts are done in FA and possibly the draft. This is enough personnel for 1st string, 2nd string, and PS. Unless someone Really good falls down the draft board....???

Yes, we have the quantity,  but it's not clear -- to me, at least -- that we have the quality.

So,  if somehow we do NOT use one our first four picks (I'd prefer first three rounds) on a quality o-lineman,  I'll be very, very disappointed.

Yes, we have the quantity, but it's not clear -- to me, at least -- that we have the quality.

So, if somehow we do NOT use one our first four picks (I'd prefer first three rounds) on a quality o-lineman, I'll be very, very disappointed.

Doesn't have to be a top pick, look at Jeff Saturday. ....