Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rumor: Colts GM Ryan Grigson may not throw in the towel on current offensive line

TKnight24

And this will work for how long? Holmes can't seem to stay healthy, I wish he would be "the guy." Cherilus' injury looks terrifying and who knows if he can stay healthy for an entire season now. I think I would try to roll with Holmes another season as Center, FA RG, and draft RT (1st/2nd).

He was a project in his first year then this year in the preseason he was rolled up on, that wasn't his fault

How many NFL games you watch and see linemen rolled up on? I guess they can't stay healthy either huh?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was a project in his first year then this year in the preseason he was rolled up on, that wasn't his fault

How many NFL games you watch and see linemen rolled up on? I guess they can't stay healthy either huh?

Look, I'm not saying it was his fault that it happened to him during preseason, but it nagged him for nearly the entire year. My opinion on it all is that I would be okay with another year of Khaled Holmes at center because I do like him. I just wish he would stay at the Center position but that's just how it goes.

Castanzo-Mewhort-Holmes-Iupati-Cherilus sounds pretty good to me. I worry about Cherilus's injury though. If he's healthy, or if he's at least not in pain, he's a really good pass blocker at RT. I wouldn't mind drafting Fisher in the 2nd if he's there, or Havenstein in the 3rd or 4th to develop and hopefully eventually take over as the starter in 16. We'd have good depth as well. Reitz, Thornton, Heenan or Shipley, and a draft pick. I think Heenan can play Center too, so he would back up both G/C. Then maybe we could keep John on the P.S.

Look, I'm not saying it was his fault that it happened to him during preseason, but it nagged him for nearly the entire year. My opinion on it all is that I would be okay with another year of Khaled Holmes at center because I do like him. I just wish he would stay at the Center position but that's just how it goes.

Everyone's body is different.

Me & You could both break our ankles (I already broke mine recently) and you could heal faster than me. That's just life

Which is why offensive line depth is a huge importance. All it takes is one play where someone rolls on your leg

I like our left side which was our best side so I would leave Castonzo and Mewhort there to continue to grow together.

I like Thornton and think he would be much better if he knew who would be playing besides him week in and week out.

C and RT are my only concerns which I believe either Holmes or Harrison have the potential to start there so that leaves me with RT that needs an upgrade. Bryan Bulaga or Barksdale come to mind and would help solidify the right side.

Castonzo, Mewhort, Holmes/Harrison, Thornton, Bulaga

That line sounds pretty good to me

Two of the reasons, possibly the two main reasons why the O-line looked better in the playoffs:  Richardson was no longer carrying the ball, and Luck was dumping it to Boom.  If you continually hand the ball to a back in Richardson who, through his performance over his first three seasons, looked as though he had no business being in the league, and you attempt to throw the ball 25 yards down the field every dropback, it's difficult for any O-line to hold up or look good.

Am I the only one here who hasnt given up on Thornton. He's been more effective at Right Guard than anyone else who's manned the spot. He even played well at LG as a rookie.  Donald Thomas was a waste of money and Joe Reitz is a joke. Lance Louis doesnt even deserve to be mentioned.

Thornton has been a better G than Holmes has been a C. Especially considering how everyone loves them some A.Q. Shipley.....barf!

Even the coaches were frustrated with amount of time it took Holmes to get back on the field last year.... saying he spends to much time on the training table.

If you remember they thought he had a shot at week one. When did we see the guy again? He was on the shelf for at least 15 weeks. That is long time for an ankle sprain. He can't or doesn't play through any type of injury.

I think it is big mistake to count on that guy. Let's all hope that Harrison has taken a big step forward. Holmes won't make it to week one again everyone will be * we didn't sign Wiz.

Let's face it he wasn't he seconded coming of Mike Webster when he was out there.

We need a C who can make it through the season to have any continuity on the O Line.

If they replace Thornton I am okay with this. I think the left side is very good and will only get better. Holmes showed promise and deserves another look. GC was very good the year before last and was hurt much of last year. He deserves a chance to prove last year was a product of injury. Also his contract makes it hard to move him so you might as well get your money's worth.

With that said if the Colts want to draft a young tackle in the draft for depth reasons and to maybe be a GC replacement in a couple of years I am good with that.

If he doesn't bring in a RG and have a very good plan B for Cherilus than he is just asking to be on the hot seat next year.  IMO he has had plenty of time and money to fix this OL, and yes I know there have been some injuries; but some of it is bad decisions by Grigson. I believe if he doesn't make any big moves and we don't have a very solid OL this season it falls squarely on his shoulders and Irsay needs to step in and do something.

It might be time to give up on Thornton.  There is reason to stick with Castanzo, Mewhort, Holmes, and Cherilus.  

Castanzo and Mewhort have looked good, Holmes has gotten very little experience since for some reason we didn't decide to actually play him til the end of the season.  Cherilus was hampered by injuries all last season and was solid the year before.

Thornton has been a starter for pretty much 2 years now.  Hasn't from my understanding shown much promise.

Castonzo wasn't exactly impressive his first two years either. Run blocking was fine, but his pass pro was...ouch.

It might be time to give up on Thornton.  There is reason to stick with Castanzo, Mewhort, Holmes, and Cherilus.  

Castanzo and Mewhort have looked good, Holmes has gotten very little experience since for some reason we didn't decide to actually play him til the end of the season.  Cherilus was hampered by injuries all last season and was solid the year before.

Thornton has been a starter for pretty much 2 years now.  Hasn't from my understanding shown much promise.

when healthy Cherilus was very good....now if he has another year like this past one, then they should be looking to move on from him.

Cherilus is solid when he is healthy.  My only problem with him is his past injury history.  I'm not sure he'll ever be able to make it through a full season without being hampered by injuries again.  I will be very concerned if we go into next season without addressing depth at OT -- we, IMO, need a starter quality player there to be prepared for Cherilus to miss time due to injury.

I think our biggest 2 holes on the Oline is C and RG. I know a bunch of you are crying about Cherilus, but I would rather sign a stud FA RG and hope Cherilus plays well, then get rid of Cherilus, and hope Thornton play well. I think the odds are better of Cherilus being better. I would love to sign either Boling or Lupati to play RG and the C Wiz from Oakland. Resign Donald Thomas to a vet min deal for depth. We would have a starting line of:

Castonzo, Mewhort, Wiz, Lupati/Boling, Cherilus

With Thornton, Thomas, Harrison, Homes as depth. 

Lupait, Boling and Wiz will all probably be in the 8M$ a  year range. Grigs might not want to put 16M$ into the O line, but with 45M$~ to spend, I would be fine with 16M$ to the Oline, 6M$ to a WR, then leave 23M$ to the Def.

LT LG C RT are fine. we just need a LG. sign iupati, shipley and reitz and we have our starting 5 plus good depth 

Reitz showed us he can`t play RT so it is time to replace him. Shipley isn`t the backup C/G we need so ship him too.

Iupati is a LG and a poor pass blocker aka Thorntonish. Ugh!

Cherilus was part of the 3rd worst rated tackle tandem at pass protection in the NFL in 2013 and continued that play in 2014, before the injury excuses. Like Castonzo, you just drive him into Luck, when you don`t want to go around him.

He requires a lot of help.

I would like to give Cherilus another chance but reality tells me even if he came back somewhat normal health he still wouldn't be worth his contract.  I think it's simply time to cut our losses and draft a RT in the 2nd round that can start now.  For the RG spot, it's apparent that Thornton isn't going to be great, and with bringing in Heenan, I think we can cut Hugh loose and sign Iupati. 

Something just tells me that Grigson is going to go yet another season with the starters we currently have and we will again be crappy running the football.  I really hope I can eat my words though!

Although I don't think Grigson will cut any of the young guys he drafted (Holmes, Thornton, Harrison), I don't think he would count on any of them to start next year.  And I don't see why a GM would count on Cherilous to be around for the entire season.

There is a lot of cap space and much of it has to be spent.  I just can't see him not spending some meaningful dollars on the Oline.

And, after several years of subpar performance from the Oline, the fans would have Grigson's head on a platter if he does nothing to the oline this offseason and Luck gets hurt after taking beatings.

Remember, this is smoke time, where even though we have FA, we don't want to give away any draft strategy, and saying we are not giving up on our line is smart, no signals to intent on draft day. Lie as much as you can until the draft is over, but we better sign a RG at least in FA, Boling or Lupati!

I don't know if we'd take him in the first but Cam Erving would be ideal. First he was the ACC OT of the year 2 years in a row, the guy can block. Second, after the starting center went down (and he wasn't good) they put a RS freshman in there who got completely destroyed, and I mean humiliated destroyed.. The Noles put Cam at center for the final few games and the middle was secure. Their running back ran all day, Winston could step up and make throws.

He's also a former DT, so he has that nasty mean streak..

SO, Erving could be our OT or slide into our center role, that's good value.

We need to acquire two quality, offensive linemen in FA-g/g, g/t, g/c, etc.  We've got the $, and the assets are there, at market value.  If not, continue to endure a "C" graded line, without the ability to get a runner to the second level, regardless of who the ball carrier is, and force Luck to underperform his talents, and put him at a season/career ending risk.  

The parts are there for the most part. Just need to figure out the revolving door of centers and stick with one.  Also need to find a guard to pair with Mewhort. 

Yep, just make a final decision at center & roll with that guy all year long. Good point BMWF.  :thmup:

I don't question that our Playoff O-Line (line up) was the best all year. 

My question is, why did it take us that long to figure it out!?

We do need a good RG though whether it's through the draft or FA. 

I'm no O-line expert by any means, but that's a darn good question Lollygagger. It shouldn't take until almost the start of the Playoffs before the coaching staff figures out where to slide our beef up front. I'm just happy we gave Luck some time to survey the coverages without scrambling for dear life so that's a step in the right direction. 

I'm not blaming anybody here. It just took forever to gel & give Luck protection. Better late than never I guess right? 

I'm no O-line expert by any means, but that's a darn good question Lollygagger. It shouldn't take until almost the start of the Playoffs before the coaching staff figures out where to slide our beef up front. I'm just happy we gave Luck some time to survey the coverages without scrambling for dear life so that's a step in the right direction. 

I'm not blaming anybody here. It just took forever to gel & give Luck protection. Better late than never I guess right? 

Preach it brother!