Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Center position next year

RockThatBlue

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

K. Holmes or J. Harrison?

More than likely the center battle will be these two next year. What are your thoughts on how both played this year? Do you agree the starting center will be one of these two or does Grigs maybe bring somebody in (or should he?)

Both need a lot of work on their technique. Harrison looked stronger to me.

The NFL's season tends to be longer and more rigorous than the college season. Consequently, many rookies hit a stamina wall about the 12th game, so I hear. That's what Grigson said happened to Harrison, which accounted for his poorish play down the stretch and benching. I think the position is fine with him and Holmes battling.

More than likely the center battle will be these two next year. What are your thoughts on how both played this year? Do you agree the starting center will be one of these two or does Grigs maybe bring somebody in (or should he?)

I think it's gonna be Holmes. He did pretty well considering he hasn't played in over a year due to injuries. The question is if he can stay healthy

I actually think thats his best position.

Costanzo, Harrison, Holmes, Iupati, Mewhort

That starting line would be pretty good

:no:

Um, actually that lineup is bad. How you gonna bench Mewhort who was our BEST G this season?

You don't move him to T, when he's been solid at G

Let them battle in presason for it.

I agree.  I'm an advocate of making things a competition and giving the best guy the nod.  I don't like how some players get things handed to them, like Richardson starting more games than he should have.  If you have two guys that are somewhat unproven, like we do at center, I say let them battle it out in camp and preseason and give the better guy the spot.

As I see it the colts have 3 tackles and 2 guards on IR out of all of them 2 have 7 yrs and the rest have less the 3, Also for future contracts the colts picked up a couple of tackles. And the draft is just around the corner. So it is hard to say how the O-Line will be just before TC 

hope we sign a proven player who can run block, if we go with the same no running game

lmao. We had NOONE on our line who is a good runblocker, so... it is the center huh! Good grief.

Mewhort is a tall, 309lb.,slow footed RT who can`t get leverage, Thornton gets knocked off the line most every snap, and our tackles are very mediocre run blockers too. Grigson is a DUD when it comes to the o-line!! Period. The coaches seem to be also.

I think we are fine going forward at the position with these 2.

lmao. We had NOONE on our line who is a good runblocker, so... it is the center huh! Good grief.

Mewhort is a tall, 309lb.,slow footed RT who can`t get leverage, Thornton gets knocked off the line most every snap, and our tackles are very mediocre run blockers too. Grigson is a DUD when it comes to the o-line!! Period. The coaches seem to be also.

I think we are fine going forward at the position with these 2.

I agree I don't like our line for run blocking but getting better at pass blocking, we need an o-line that can do both. we have too many projects that are slow footed

Most lilely, Holmes will be the starter and Harrison will be the back-up.  if something happens to Holmes on the injury front, I hope they sign someone else.  Unless Harrison improves 100 fold, he should be nothing more than an emergency player to get the Colts thru a game because he was that bad.

We don't seem to have a good track record of drafting centers. Since 2008 I think we have had the following:

Jeff Saturday

Mike Pollak

Steve Justice
Kyle DeVan
Jamey Richard
Mike McGlynn
Samson Satele
Zane Taylor

A.Q. Shipley
Khaled Holmes     
Jonotthan Harrison  

Plus probably several other O-lineman that have had some C experience.

• 2 weeks later...

The pocket didn't collpase under Holmes and he seems to know when to snap the ball unlike Harrison.  Harrison is a back up at best.  If what's up Holmes can stay healthy I would start him and find an Elite RG for netx year.  Maybe the kid from LSU, maybe Iupiati but I'm nobodys O-Line scout either.

It's time to get over the hump and make some significant changes. We have cap space and around 12 million more can be saved by letting go of Phillips, Richardson,Thomas, Luis, and Landry. Take the cap hit on Landry, and maybe get him to Buffalo with his old coach for a 4th rounder.

Sign C Rodney Hudson, DE Greg Hardy,  NT Dan Williams, G Franklin(better pass blocker), the WR from Jax, and draft ILB, OLB,RB,  S.

We don't seem to have a good track record of drafting centers. Since 2008 I think we have had the following:

Jeff Saturday

Mike Pollak

Steve Justice

Kyle DeVan

Jamey Richard

Mike McGlynn

Samson Satele

Zane Taylor

A.Q. Shipley

Khaled Holmes     

Jonotthan Harrison  

Plus probably several other O-lineman that have had some C experience.

a large part of that is because they had Saturday for so long they didn't need to draft a center.

Holmes by far, but I don't think either is good enough IMO to be a dependable C.  He is our guy.  I think Harrison has a higher potential if he has a great work ethic, but he needs to clean up a lot of things.