Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots being investigated for Deflating footballs.....(Mega Merge)

RealityIsLuck

What about when the Pats steamrolled our D other games? Guess they used deflated balls then too.

I'm being sarcastic. It's actually one of the most laughable things I've ever read. In case you haven't noticed the pattern here over the past many years, it goes like this:

1) Patriots defeat team in playoffs

2) Defeated team complains that there was cheating

It's pretty sad, actually. This thread is pages long with fans assuming that a wild and unsubstantiated accusation is truth. Lol.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is one thing I dont get. Luck has been throwing footballs since he was probably 3 or 4. He KNOWS what a properly inflated ball feels like. A couple pounds of psi would be instantly noticeable to him. Brady is a mechanics freak, I dont think he would play with an underinflated ball either, would throw off his mechanics.

Neither QB was asking for new balls during the game that I could see.

If this is true I'll have lost the rest of the little respect I have for the Patriots as an organization. Forget a draft pick, if this is true I want BB suspended or fired. This is the second time it's happened with these guys. And then when they're not cheating they do stuff as close to the boundaries as possible, like all their weird calls with lineman lately. And how Wilfork took a forearm shot at one of our players.

What a disgusting franchise. Deflated balls didn't stop Blount from running through are tissue paper line though.

Here is one thing I dont get. Luck has been throwing footballs since he was probably 3 or 4. He KNOWS what a properly inflated ball feels like. A couple pounds of psi would be instantly noticeable to him. Brady is a mechanics freak, I dont think he would play with an underinflated ball either, would throw off his mechanics.

Each team uses their own balls.

We have no idea if Luck was complaining about it or not

Help me out with the logic here...in the prior week, against a team with a proven track record of being a tough matchup, a team that has actually gone to Foxborough and beaten the Patriots in the past, and in frigid temps where this "deflated ball" trick would have been clearly advantageous, no accusations of it were made.

Fast forward to yesterday, in balmy conditions where it only briefly rained significantly over a short stretch in the 2nd half and playing against a team that they have crushed by 20+ points every time they've played them, primarily on the strength of their running attack where the air pressure of the ball makes no difference...THAT'S the game that Belichick decides to resort to deflating the ball and risking another hit to his reputation?

That really doesn't make a lot of sense.

There's no word out on who made the accusation.

It could have been the Ravens, the week prior.

The pats if found guilty will be subject to at $25,000 fine. No draft picks.

A team can be fined if it is found to be knowingly altering the weight of the football.

The NFL's game operations manual states: "Once the balls have left the locker room, no one, including players, equipment managers, ball boys, and coaches, is allowed to alter the footballs in any way. If any individual alters the footballs, or if a non-approved ball is used in the game, the person responsible and, if appropriate, the head coach or other club personnel will be subject to discipline, including but not limited to, a fine of $25,000."

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12193345/nfl-investigating-whether-new-england-patriots-deflated-footballs-indianapolis-colts

How do you know he didn't?

Since the home team provides the balls and the sideline ball boys that throw the balls into the officials, Andrew would have been given perfectly inflated footballs.  The effect would be thus:  Underinflated balls would be given to our special teams causing short punts or kickoffs or poor field goal attempts.  The Patriot offense would then get underinflated balls which are easier to grip when wet thus making them easier to hold onto in the running game.

This did not effect the outcome last night except possible the three points we didn't get on the missed field goal.  But in a close game field position is everything.  So if true the Patriots should be severely penalized.  Too bad they don't have the "Death Sentence" in the NFL like they do in the NCAA.  Can you imagine the Patsy Fans going without football for a season.  There would be a mushroom cloud over Boston lol.

Footballs along with tires lose pressure in cold weather.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/science-first-cold-weather-super-bowl-180949521/?no-ist

1:45 mark.

A football left out at 10 degree temperatures for an hour loses over 20% pressure.

Its basic science folks.

This probably true.  But not applicable here as it was 50 degrees in NE last night lol

A team can be fined if it is found to be knowingly altering the weight of the football.

The NFL's game operations manual states: "Once the balls have left the locker room, no one, including players, equipment managers, ball boys, and coaches, is allowed to alter the footballs in any way. If any individual alters the footballs, or if a non-approved ball is used in the game, the person responsible and, if appropriate, the head coach or other club personnel will be subject to discipline, including but not limited to, a fine of $25,000."

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12193345/nfl-investigating-whether-new-england-patriots-deflated-footballs-indianapolis-colts

I really don't care that much about this other than IF they did deflated the footballs then there should be some sort of punishment. The part you bolded seems, to me, to leave the level punishment fairly open to whatever the NFL wants, "including, but not limited to".

slap on the wrist for a superbowl shot, sounds worth it to me. let's do that next year

Since the home team provides the balls and the sideline ball boys that throw the balls into the officials, Andrew would have been given perfectly inflated footballs.  The effect would be thus:  Underinflated balls would be given to our special teams causing short punts or kickoffs or poor field goal attempts.  The Patriot offense would then get underinflated balls which are easier to grip when wet thus making them easier to hold onto in the running game.

This did not effect the outcome last night except possible the three points we didn't get on the missed field goal.  But in a close game field position is everything.  So if true the Patriots should be severely penalized.  Too bad they don't have the "Death Sentence" in the NFL like they do in the NCAA.  Can you imagine the Patsy Fans going without football for a season.  There would be a mushroom cloud over Boston lol.

Sometimes you need to step back and think of what you are posting. The NFL employed ball boys would need to be in on this. The refs handle the balls every play, they would have had to of not noticed either.  The ball boy would have to know, by site, which balls in the bag were under inflated, and which were not, so he doesnt take the wrong one out of the kicking ball bag.

All of this, and executed perfectly by the pats?

I really don't care that much about this other than IF they did deflated the footballs then there should be some sort of punishment. The part you bolded seems, to me, to leave the level punishment fairly open to whatever the NFL wants, "including, but not limited to".

True. They could do more than a fine but highly unlikely I would think given they give the amount of the fine and the game was not close. I do think it is a bunch of malarkey and I am not sure how in the world you prove it.

Sometimes you need to step back and think of what you are posting. The NFL employed ball boys would need to be in on this. The refs handle the balls every play, they would have had to of not noticed either.  The ball boy would have to know, by site, which balls in the bag were under inflated, and which were not, so he doesnt take the wrong one out of the kicking ball bag.

All of this, and executed perfectly by the pats?

again, if the NFL didn't think the Pats did something they wouldn't be investigating them for it. What exactly or how they did something none of us know so we are speculating as to what exactly happened when.

It didn't change the outcome of them game. The better team won convincingly which makes it so maddening if it turns out New England did this, and there is still the possibility they will be cleared of it, because they didn't need too. It's just cheating because you can at this point not because you need too.

Well a Pats win wouldn't be a Pats win without the rest of the football world angry about something...  ;)

I just think people should learn how this works (handling of the game balls vs. kicking balls, and other details) before they share their scathing opinions. Just brush up on it first. That's all. 

Well a Pats win wouldn't be a Pats win without the rest of the football world angry about something... ;)

I just think people should learn how this works (handling of the game balls vs. kicking balls, and other details) before they share their scathing opinions. Just brush up on it first. That's all.

What fun would that be ?

If this is true, I have absolutely 0 respect for that organization. Purely disgusting. Once a cheater always a cheater.

Breaking: A league source tells me the NFL is investigating the possibility the Patriots deflated footballs Sunday night. More to come.

— Bob Kravitz (@bkravitz)

January 19, 2015

I'm told at one point the officials took a ball out of play and weighed it. Should hear more tomorrow on this subject.

January 19, 2015

Told if a league investigation confirms deflated footballs it will result in lost draft picks. Stay tuned.

January 19, 2015

This is why I hate with a passion Bill and the Pats, he would cheat his own mom if he thought he could get away with it , absolutely nothing to do with the outcome but come on it is every freaking year with them, I just hope I get to see Brady walk off the field in the superbowl with that head hanging one more time. You know losing the superbowl kills them and their fans far more than not getting there, Go Hawks

again, if the NFL didn't think the Pats did something they wouldn't be investigating them for it. What exactly or how they did something none of us know so we are speculating as to what exactly happened when.

It didn't change the outcome of them game. The better team won convincingly which makes it so maddening if it turns out New England did this, and there is still the possibility they will be cleared of it, because they didn't need too. It's just cheating because you can at this point not because you need too.

I guess this is not a new thing, could be routine Time will tell.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000460728/article/nfl-looking-into-pats-possible-use-of-deflated-balls

"NFL VP of officiating Dean Blandino told NFL AM on Monday that, "it's not unheard of for a ball to be removed from circulation and then tested during the week for whatever issue there was."

Its hard for me to care about this - we just got destroyed and embarrassed.  It also sounds like sour grapes.

how is it sour grapes when no one from the Colts has commented on it and just about everyone here is going this didn't change the outcome of the game? Even Kravitz said that when he first reported that the NFL was looking into it.

The NFL will sweep this under the rug as quickly as possible. The SB is in two weeks and if this were to become a story it could cost the NFL and the reputation of the game dearly. They will come out today and quill the story.

I hope they don't. The NFL needs to get this right, whatever the outcome.

I guess this is not a new thing, could be routine Time will tell.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000460728/article/nfl-looking-into-pats-possible-use-of-deflated-balls

"NFL VP of officiating Dean Blandino told NFL AM on Monday that, "it's not unheard of for a ball to be removed from circulation and then tested during the week for whatever issue there was."

again, like I said there is still the possibility the Pats will be cleared of this.

True. They could do more than a fine but highly unlikely I would think given they give the amount of the fine and the game was not close. I do think it is a bunch of malarkey and I am not sure how in the world you prove it.

The game not being close justifies cheating, the "patriot way", everybody.

The NFL will sweep this under the rug as quickly as possible. The SB is in two weeks and if this were to become a story it could cost the NFL and the reputation of the game dearly. They will come out today and quill the story.

I think based on the handling of the Rice tape/situation we know Goodell's motives for trying to keep the NFL out of a bad light. He lied about receiving the Rice tape. He definitely saw the spygate tapes and found them to be so grevious he had to destroy them, considering he was just elected commissioner and his first year could not have a scandal relating to cheating implicated against the winners of 3 of the last 4 superbowls. Same situation here, can't make a huge deal about it here despite the game not being close anyway.

I disagree about costing the NFL and reputation of the game dearly. NFL had literally the worst week in years earlier this season and no one even talks about it anymore (not even the crying people on the commercials who can't get their words out). This would just be another thing that Goodell fumbles and lets teams get away with.

Well a Pats win wouldn't be a Pats win without the rest of the football world angry about something...  ;)

I hear you. Must be tiring being a Pats fan trying to defend all these accusations.

But really, why is there always a headline with Pats and cheating?. Is it really that everyone outside Pats nation are not very knowledgable?. I am sure there is a possibility.

But really, why is there always a headline with Pats and cheating?. Is it really that everyone outside Pats nation are not very knowledgable?. I am sure there is a possibility.

It's sour grapes. What the Patriots have achieved over the past 15 years in a league that is set up specifically to make it difficult to sustain long term success (salary cap and draft) is unprecedented. Fans of other teams want what the Patriots have, and they hate that they can't have it. That tends to leave people with no other option than to try to smear and stain them any way possible...claiming that perfectly legal formations are "cheating" or "not in the spirit of fair play"...claiming that shenanigans with the air pressure in footballs took place during a 45-7 rout...it starts to get outright crazy after a while. And judging from reading this thread, it seems like phase II of this will be "The NFL is covering it up" when this dries up with no substantiation. So if you are a Pats hater, there is always something to hang your hat on if you are pre-disposed to believing they cheat to win.