Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots being investigated for Deflating footballs.....(Mega Merge)

RealityIsLuck

Tough to bring your "A-game" when your O-line goes back to playing how they did all season, guys are dropping balls, and receivers are struggling to get open. At least be fair about it. Deflated balls or not, have to give credit to Belichick and the defensive schemes. They just played better than us.

Luck was truing to fit balls into receivers that were covered like a blanket on a gusty , rainy night. Was he great , no . Was he the problem ? No. He would say he was terrible as that's the way he is. But I accept what appears to be close to an apology .

Luck will have a long, successful career in the NFL. I said one negative thing about his game last night in this thread but you guys also apparently missed my compliments as well. 

Point is, he will play poorly at times. He'll have bad games. All of the greats do.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luck will have a long, successful career in the NFL. I said one negative thing about his game last night in this thread but you guys also apparently missed my compliments as well. 

Point is, he will play poorly at times. He'll have bad games. All of the greats do.

All three QBs yesterday were pretty awful with the exception of Brady.

Kind of ironic this comes a day after the pats ask league to investigate the jets for tampering

For a harmless comment.

That's just a Pats/Jets thing... wouldn't read too much into it. Woody said something harmless (but also incredibly dumb) to the media. This is just NE tweaking NY, as they would do if the shoe was on the other foot. 

Read one of my posts above. The refs pulled a ball off of the field right after the pats received a kickoff. I think after a KO, the offense replaces a ball used on KOs with a league ball that's part of a group of balls each club gets to use on offense. I think after the pats got one of their O balls on the field, the refs stopped the clock, and took the ball off the field.

I think that was the play. It was fairly early in the 2nd quarter maybe. Perhaps the Colts complained to the refs in the first quarter, but the refs took matters into their own hands.....if that's the play where they weighed the ball.

the moment youre referencing is a common occurence.  the officials forgot to swap out the kicking ball for the regular ball.

Video won't play on my phone, but here's a video link.

http://www.totalprosports.com/2015/01/19/patriots-investigated-deflating-footballs/

also note the "update" saying nfl investigating if they were properly inflated 'for' the game and not deflated during the game. Key is in the wording, cover up needed, cover up coming. Can't have this going on before the big game can we?

To the Pats and Colts fans , this had absolutely no affect on the outcome of the game yesterday. However my concerns are they seem to be followed by scandal , there for questioning the integrity of the NFL  for not really clamping down. Shows just how much corruption money can sweep under the rug IMO.

To the Pats and Colts fans , this had absolutely no affect on the outcome of the game yesterday. However my concerns are they seem to be followed by scandal , there for questioning the integrity of the NFL for not really clamping down. Shows just how much corruption money can sweep under the rug IMO.

Maybe not on the outcome, but possibly how many points the pats scored. Deflated balls are easier to grip. Thus more catches, better passing in poor weather and less chance for fumbling. You can't say it wasn't an advantage.

The NFL is taking this issue very seriously.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/19/nfl-taking-game-integrity-issues-very-seriously/

TL;DR: There will be a thorough investigation with punishment (if necessary) coming in the off-season. If found at fault, the Patriots will be made an example of. Meaning they would probably lose a draft pick. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/19/nfl-taking-game-integrity-issues-very-seriously/

TL;DR: There will be a thorough investigation with punishment (if necessary) coming in the off-season. If found at fault, the Patriots will be made an example of. Meaning they would probably lose a draft pick. 

Lol that will kill them , just spend alittle more on a FA . Do you get where im coming from ? If they are gonna punish , lets make it real and send a message. :thmup:

It will be more than one

But if it is found to be true..a draft pick means nothing, IMO.

Not that the offence is serious in itself, but the BelliKraft pats have a pattern of finding ways to skirt things. Such a pattern creates the problem that MLB had...which impacts the sincerity of the competition televised, which jeopardizes the profitability of the other 31 owners in the long run.

I don't think that they would stand for a regime that constantly puts efforts into finding ways to get around the rules they create, rather than putting efforts into complying with them.

If true...I would eliminate the pats from the next two drafts entirely. The other owners needn't stand for the embarrassment or the extra policing the BelliKraft organization warrants.

Edit: Just saw Jay kirk's post above after I completed this one.

But if it is found to be true..a draft pick means nothing, IMO.

Not that the offence is serious in itself, but the BelliKraft pats have a pattern of finding ways to skirt things. Such a pattern creates the problem that MLB had...which impacts the sincerity of the competition televised, which jeopardizes the profitability of the other 31 owners in the long run.

I don't think that they would stand for a regime that constantly puts efforts into finding ways to get around the rules they create, rather than putting efforts into complying with them.

If true...I would eliminate the pats from the next two drafts entirely. The other owners needn't stand for the embarrassment or the extra policing the BelliKraft organization warrants.

Edit: Just saw Jay kirk's post above after I completed this one.

People laugh because of how ridiculous it sounds ("herr deflated balls"), but the team allegedly tampered with on field equipment to gain a competitive advantage. IF they found out they did it intentionally one of (or a combination of) these 3 should take place

1. Replay the game (which will never happen; nor would I wish it to)

2. Strip them of a high draft pick.

3. Ban Bill Billicheck from the NFL. This would be the 2nd time he was caught of institutionalized cheating. 

In all seriousness, the Patriots would have still probably killed us anyway. Deflated footballs don't make your defense and returner absolute fail.

That being said, IF this is true BB should be absolutely suspended. I'd imagine the cold just had a weird effect on the ball, but we'll see. Either way I don't trust the NFL's "investigation" worth a salt.

People laugh because of how ridiculous it sounds ("herr deflated balls"), but the team allegedly tampered with on field equipment to gain a competitive advantage. IF they found out they did it intentionally one of (or a combination of) these 3 should take place

1. Replay the game (which will never happen)

3. Ban Bill Billicheck from the NFL. This would be the 2nd time he was caught of institutionalized cheating.

In the NCAA, an established pattern of transgression (I wont say cheating) begets a death penalty. There is no room for such activities when the entire NFL industry exists because of its rules.

If there are no rules, there is no game. Don't let the 1 owner take down the other 31.

In all seriousness, the Patriots would have still probably killed us anyway. Deflated footballs don't make your defense and returner absolute fail.

That being said, IF this is true BB should be absolutely suspended. I'd imagine the cold just had a weird effect on the ball, but we'll see. Either way I don't trust the NFL's "investigation" worth a salt.

Ding, ding. Neither do I. Doubt much comes of this or the Browns cell phone use ...in a year where the league has literally made a fool of itself, anymore negativity around the game would only continue to undercut it's already wavering credibility.

It's beyond time to suspend Belichick. I have no idea if any of this had an effect on the game yesterday, but the thing with cheating is that you never know how much it helped or didn't help (that's why we have rules, people). The patriots have consistently showed a pattern of cheating. Time to actually do something about it.

You kidding me Kraft is good friend the Goodell that will never happen why do you think he burned the tapes so fast

And here's the problem with this thread...once the accusations came out, a great majority of you already made up your mind.

Here is the outline for Colts fans posts in this thread:

1st Paragraph: Say something like , "IF this is found out to be true, then I've lost all remaining respect for the franchise"...or "I really hope this isn't true, but if it is, they need to be punished."

2nd Paragraph: MAKE SURE to mention that this isn't why the Colts lost, because we certainly don't want to sound like we are making excuses of having sour grapes!!!

3rd Paragraph: Trash the Patriots by writing things like, "What a despicable franchise" or "Once a cheater always a cheater"....which basically shows us that you are NOT waiting to see the results of the investigation and that you HAVE already made up your mind. You aren't waiting for the "IF" to be proven at all, you're already asking how Patriots fans could possibly defend or root for this scum of a team.

That's not fair, nor is it the slightest bit objective. You can't figure out why Patriots fans are defensive? GoPats was very levelheaded in this thread, asking simply that people understand what the heck they are talking about before they whine about it...and some posters jumped at the chance to get a piece. It's too bad.

This thread became an open forum for opposing fans to take a dump on the Patriots, and boy you guys couldnt wait to drop those pants of yours!

And here's the problem with this thread...once the accusations came out, a great majority of you already made up your mind.

1st Paragraph: Say something like , "IF this is found out to be true, then I've lost all remaining respect for the franchise"...or "I really hope this isn't true, but if it is, they need to be punished."

2nd Paragraph: MAKE SURE to mention that this isn't why the Colts lost, because we certainly don't want to sound like we are making excuses of having sour grapes!!!

3rd Paragraph: Trash the Patriots by writing things like, "What a despicable franchise" or "Once a cheater always a cheater"....which basically shows us that you are NOT waiting to see the results of the investigation and that you HAVE already made up your mind. You aren't waiting for the "IF" to be proven at all, you're already asking how Patriots fans could possibly defend or root for this scum of a team.

That's not fair, nor is it the slightest bit objective. You can't figure out why Patriots fans are defensive? GoPats was very levelheaded in this thread, asking simply that people understand what the heck they are talking about before they whine about it...and some posters jumped at the chance to get a piece. It's too bad.

This thread became an open forum for opposing fans to take a dump on the Patriots, and boy you guys couldnt wait to drop those pants of yours!

The Patriots don't get the benefit of the doubt because they are known cheaters so your post is invalid.

This thread became an open forum for opposing fans to take a dump on the Patriots, and boy you guys could wait to drop those pants of yours.

Like many threads on a discussion forum of any kind, the fun is in the discussion. People want to discuss ifs and whens and don't want to wait.

As long as the evaluation of the possible situation is objective, then I don't see the basis of any accusations against participants in this thread.

"If this happened...then that should be the consequence" is a reasonable way to approach the issue at this time..and that's what most here have done.

Like many threads on a discussion forum of any kind, the fun is in the discussion. People want to discuss ifs and whens and don't want to wait.

As long as the evaluation of the possible situation is objective, then I don't see the basis of any accusations against participants in this thread.

"If this happened...then that should be the consequence" is a reasonable way to approach the issue at this time..and that's what most here have done.

I have no problem with THAT approach...it's the posts that end with a supposed conclusion and hateful rhetoric directly after saying 'if' that gets me.

Ding, ding. Neither do I. Doubt much comes of this or the Browns cell phone use ...in a year where the league has literally made a fool of itself, anymore negativity around the game would only continue to undercut it's already wavering credibility.

Exactly.

But part of me thinks that Belicheck does these kinds of things just to get under the skin of everyone. Not just the opponent...but everyone. Really, did the balls really need to be deflated to win? (if true) Its like his running gag he's had by putting Brady on the injury report when he got called out for not doing it years ago.

From my point of view, the whole thing is kind of childish and just casts a negative light on the sport. That's why if there is some meat to the story, the NFL should just be serious about doing something and end the childish behavior already.

1. Replay the game (which will never happen; nor would I wish it to)

If hes guilty I choose door #3 please . :thmup:  

This probably true.  But not applicable here as it was 50 degrees in NE last night lol

It's come out now that the accusation came from someone in the Colt's organization, as is Bob Kravitz source. We in NE have our own resident sensationalist love-to-be-hated media trolls. The strange thing is, ask any Patriot fan what they think of Felger or Borges or Shaugnessy. 90% of us will want it made clear that their opinions do not reflect our own.

Source aside, air temperature is one of countless such possibilities for under-inflated footballs in the second half. It didn't need to be 10 degrees out for air pressure to potentially have dropped two hours after kick off by which time, the temperature had dropped into the 40's.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000437309/article/nfl-to-remind-teams-not-to-warm-footballs

Edited by 21isSuperman

Where was your outrage when this happened..

http://min.247sports.com/Bolt/NFL-Warns-Warming-Game-Balls-By-Vikings-Panthers-33443917

both teams tampering with the balls, and there was only a warning.

1. Your name says it all.

2. Never knew of it. But sure I'll bite

3. The balls weren't used in game.

4. Warming them will not have anywhere near the effect as deflating them.

5. And finally, your team has a history of cheating.