Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Official "I Loved The 2014 Colts Draft" Thread

Adonai

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richardson is not good, he's a fullback basically and both Ballard and Bradshaw are coming off an injury. Seastrunk would have been a great pick in the 5th instead of the OLB, he's a speed back. I HATED every pick except Moncrief and Jackson, i think we could have got Terrence Brooks, Louis Nix, or Gabe Jackson.  

You really think RB was a need in the draft?  We have Richardson, Ballard, Bradshaw, Rainey and Herron.  We really need another back?  No we didn't draft any safties butwe already signed one as an udfa.  

I do....

AJ is stud, DQ is a very good LB...  but make A LOT of tackles down field.   

I would like to see Freeman get a shot at OLB.

Bottom line....      this D needs to TACKLE the ball.    AJ does it.

My wife was pretty happy about the Jackson selection.  She's a die-hard Colts fan, and receiving her MS in Nursing from WKU next week, so she loves it when the Colts take Hilltoppers. AJ is our second "Top", along with Jack Doyle! I didn't know about it until my wife started school there, but Jim and John Harbaugh's dad Jack was the head coach there for quite a few years.

Not an exciting or jazzy draft.  But we only had 5 picks and came out from each round with about as good as was available. FO had guys targeted, and they weren't there when we picked.  Can't take peeps they dont think can compete with players already on board.  Wasted pick. Proof is in the pudding though.  We'll know at training camp.

I love this draft.  Two offensive linemen means great competition on the O line.  An O line that can provide room for the backs to run will make Luck so much more effective.  Man it will be great to be able to run the football.  YeeeeHaaaaa!  Colts have not had a smash mouth running game since they have been in Indy.  No more finesse Colts fans, we gonna run the ball when the other team knows we are gonna run the ball.  Lucks head on a swivel?  You better bring your lunch pail Clowney.  We comin right at ya.   :clap:   

I loved this draft.... I believe that these guys are set up perfectly. Our veteran leadership (Reggie, Mathis, and Jackson) will mentor and guide these guys into being perfect replacements a few years down the road. But it's not the players I love the most about this draft..... It's the fact that we didn't mortgage our future for a minor upgrade in the draft. Way to hold still.... Stick to the draft board, and pull in some great talent.

Richardson is not good, he's a fullback basically and both Ballard and Bradshaw are coming off an injury. Seastrunk would have been a great pick in the 5th instead of the OLB, he's a speed back. I HATED every pick except Moncrief and Jackson, i think we could have got Terrence Brooks, Louis Nix, or Gabe Jackson.  

Louis Nix was gone before our pick in the 3rd.  Why did you hate them?  because they were depth?  BTW we have already signed like 3 or 4 CB/S as udfas.

Uhhh that works both ways. People saying it's a great draft don't have any insight into whether it was a good draft, either.

Knocking players selected before they've even tried on a Jersey is the main point.

People think their guy is an automatic.

That's the part I laugh at.

Accepting the pick some can't deal with, no one loves these guys drafted, lets see first.

The omg Joe Smith was available crowd is annoying.

We will go with Corey Lynch and Delano Howell fighting for the FS starting job.  Bring in UFA Ladler and another Grigson.  

If we had not addressed the OL this forum would have simply gone ballistic.

Grigson saw both 'recently.' (One at Senior Bowl...one at Regional combine.)  It appears he likes what he sees against competition.

Newsome...a pure rusher...who does that sound like in the 5th round several years ago?  :)

ok raise your hand if you're a draft expert....................thats what I thought. let the guys play and show what they got and stop getting mad because we didnt take a player the media hyped up

Very disappointed in Grigson and the scouting staff. Moncrief was the only great pick and Jackson was good in the 6th, i thought it was a lot of defensive players available when we drafted Mewhort. We didn't even address the team biggest needs with S and CB, this is by far the worst draft that i have seen. No impact players or playmakers, not even a RB with the failed Trent trade.

I don't understand this, he got Jack Mewhort.... an all-american offensive linemen who can play every position on the line, and our line was terrible last year, and he's an awful pick? Please explain that to me. Our depth at corner isn't awful, Vontae Davis is one of the top corners in the league, and if Toler can stay healthy thats great, as he is a good player when healthy. Darius Butler is very underrated on this board, and Josh Gordy showed the ability to play decent in the playoffs last year. Not to mention I think Sheldon Price can develop into something good. As for safety, we had our 2 starters before the draft started, Delano Howell and LaRon Landry, Grigs knew it. Now would I like a depth pick? Sure, but Dewey McDonald who we signed as an UDFA is apparently decent, so hopefully he can provide good depth. No impact players?? Lol, how about you let them you know, play before deciding if we have an impact player, I mean like seriously? Of course we don't take a RB, we have Vick Ballard, Trent Richardson, and Ahmad Bradshaw, we don't need a RB.

Good post "johndee". I agree and think we drafted a starting offensive lineman-Mewhort, a

situational run stuffing linebacker and a situational OLB without a 1st, 4th or 5th(?) draft pick.

Plus we have additional WR depth that may enhance our future, and may lead to trade opportunities

with our friends, the Browns or the Bills who need them.

I also agree with your comments "breaveheartcolt."

There's times of the year to shore up needs such as CB and Safety. The next time will be during roster cuts from 90 to 53 and since good players will become and because we have ample cap space, I'm feeling fine that we will close any gaps sufficiently as we roll into next season.

Remember last year when Luck was running for his life and our line couldn't block in the run game? So do I, now we have a guy who can play guard. Plays with an attitude and can also back up the T spots.

Remember last year when we got trucked by teams running game? NE is still fresh in my mind. Well meet Mr 260 pound Jackson who plays *!

Remember last year what happened when Reggie went down? You get my drift...

It all starts in the trenches and we addressed that. Front 7 always makes the back 4's job easier.

I just hope that these O-Linemen pan out. I'm still not sold with getting guys that are versatile over getting specialized o-linemen, so hopefully Grigs knocks them out of the park..especially being a former O-lineman.

I love the Moncrief pick, but I'm still baffled we didn't get a CB and/or S. Toler is always hurt, so hopefully Price, Gordy or one of these UFDA can come up.

I also think that not proclaiming Holmes the starter before the draft is whack. Grigs says he doesnt like smokescreens, so not sure why he wouldn't announce that awhile ago

I just hope that these O-Linemen pan out. I'm still not sold with getting guys that are versatile over getting specialized o-linemen, so hopefully Grigs knocks them out of the park..especially being a former O-lineman.

I love the Moncrief pick, but I'm still baffled we didn't get a CB and/or S. Toler is always hurt, so hopefully Price, Gordy or one of these UFDA can come up.

I also think that not proclaiming Holmes the starter before the draft is whack. Grigs says he doesnt like smokescreens, so not sure why he wouldn't announce that awhile ago

Maybe he's not the starter. Thomas can slide over to c and big jack can play lg. going to be some good oline battles at training camp!

Remember last year when Luck was running for his life and our line couldn't block in the run game? So do I, now we have a guy who can play guard. Plays with an attitude and can also back up the T spots.

Remember last year when we got trucked by teams running game? NE is still fresh in my mind. Well meet Mr 260 pound Jackson who plays *!

It all starts in the trenches and we addressed that. Front 7 always makes the back 4's job easier.

Nice. (Out of likes)

We took five no namer, sleeper picks.

However, I am still trying to remain optimistic, hoping that these players may contribute next season.

This is what happens when you enter a draft with 2nd , 3rd, 5th , 6th and 7th round picks. If you look at the value chart those picks are valued at about 500 points in total. Compare that to the 20th pick in round one and you'll  see that you are about 300 points short of equaling that pick alone.  Point is when you start a draft at pick 59 , have no extra picks in any round and are short your 4th rounder to boot , you are at a pretty big disadvantage.

They censor on here lol

Dont pay attention to the man behind the curtains. I thought this draft went well. We filled some holes... and if they didn't take a safety I trust they have a plan in place. The coaches know more than we do, man. sit back and enjoy life instead of being so negative.

Bravo. I would give more likes if I could.

This is what happens when you enter a draft with 2nd , 3rd, 5th , 6th and 7th round picks. If you look at the value chart those picks are valued at about 500 points in total. Compare that to the 20th pick in round one and you'll  see that you are about 300 points short of equaling that pick alone.  Point is when you start a draft at pick 59 , have no extra picks in any round and are short your 4th rounder to boot , you are at a pretty big disadvantage.

don't feed the troll

Whats funny is you had all these people clamoring about how this draft was bad and how safety and cb wasn't addressed, yet the draft wasn't even over, nor had the UDFA period even began.  

This board after ANYTHING happens with our team good or bad is this:

:HFire:  :HFire:  :HFire:  :HFire:

Followed by this:  :shout: :slapfight:  :catfight:   :cuss:  :censored:  :Nuke:

#LordhelpourcoltsFANS

Very disappointed in Grigson and the scouting staff. Moncrief was the only great pick and Jackson was good in the 6th, i thought it was a lot of defensive players available when we drafted Mewhort. We didn't even address the team biggest needs with S and CB, this is by far the worst draft that i have seen. No impact players or playmakers, not even a RB with the failed Trent trade.

You seriously thought we needed another RB with Ballard and Bradshaw back this season? 

Uhhh that works both ways. People saying it's a great draft don't have any insight into whether it was a good draft, either.

Mike, 

Wow... finally someone said it.  I am SICK of people acting like they have all the answers and can ridicule others here, no matter what their OPINION is about something.  This is nothing more than a FAN discussion message board and NO ONE here, including me, has any more expertise on a relevant level to the real professionals than anyone else.  So have some fun, voice your thoughts, disagree with others, but get the heck off your high horse acting like you (not Mike, IinD) have a clue yourself.  You don't.  So let people have fun and argue, but stop your nonsense and voice your OPINION in its proper place... an amateur fan like everyone else! 

I want to add to the protect Andrew Luck logic. I have no doubt that Grigson is looking at the developmemt of the Texans d-line and decided we need to react.

Arguably the best defensive line prospect in 30 years is in our division. Along with a proven JJ Watt.

We have no choice but to develop a dominant offensive line. If we dont Luck will be going the way of Sam Bradford or David Carr.

There's a good chance this Clowney Watt thing could cause us problems.

I was generally fairly please with it.  I like all the individual players.  Would have liked some secondary, but you can't address every need and if Grigson thought the draft wasn't very deep at safety then he's probably right.

All and all  pretty good draft,

addressed the O line with a couple versatile players.

got a wr that is really interesting and has a year to develope( which is good cuase wr in NFL usualy take 2 years before you know if they can get open and get off the line).

Picked up some more talent on the defensive front 7 (that can never be a bad thing..)

looks as though they brought in some guys to fight for secondary spots with the UDFA's .. of course I would of loved to darft some of the DB's and SS's this year,  but anyone that i thought would be a great fit  was pretty much gone15 picks before the colts were even on the clock...

Best part of the weekend, Didnt trade our future away in order to move up and chase players...