Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Draft Needs According to Phil Simms

Andy

I tip my hat to Phil Simms.... I thought he couldn't get dumber, but he manages to outdo himself.

On the CBS Draft preview show they had today, Simms believes that the Colts' three biggest needs are:

Offensive Tackle

Safety

Running Back

Now, safety's a gimme, but offensive tackle? Running Back? The Colts have AC and Cherilus at tackles and they'll be around for the next little bit. They could use some depth, but it's not a need.

As for running back, they have T-Rich, Ballard and Bradshaw. They have depth and they have some quality players. 

Personally, I think the biggest needs are safety, center and NT. 

Either way, do you think that Phil Simms is right, wrong, or do you agree with me that he's beyond wrong and what he's saying is funny?

We have two pretty good starting tackles but not much behind them. So maybe Phil is talking depth wise there.

We have three running backs. Of them two are coming off major session ending injuries and the other has been a disappointment since he got here so if you don't trust our backs you could label that a need.

I'd agree safety is a clear need. I'd also say so it center but maybe Phil wrote this before the guy we signed retired and it was just now published.

I tip my hat to Phil Simms.... I thought he couldn't get dumber, but he manages to outdo himself.

On the CBS Draft preview show they had today, Simms believes that the Colts' three biggest needs are:

Offensive Tackle

Safety

Running Back

Now, safety's a gimme, but offensive tackle? Running Back? The Colts have AC and Cherilus at tackles and they'll be around for the next little bit. They could use some depth, but it's not a need.

As for running back, they have T-Rich, Ballard and Bradshaw. They have depth and they have some quality players. 

Either way, do you think that Phil Simms is right, wrong, or do you agree with me that he's beyond wrong and what he's saying is funny?

We need a pass rusher much more than a RB. Otherwise... :-)

As a game analyst he's fine -- acceptable.

As an analyst of players and of team needs....   let's just be charitable and say he's not the sharpest knife in the kitchen drawer...       :facepalm:

Yep, NCF pretty much nailed it. Phil Simms & Jim Nance are a great play by play broadcasting duo...My favorite on TV actually, but RB seriously? Phil are you heavily medicated right now. We are fine with our ground game. SMH. 

Someone should ask Phil if he thinks it was a mistake to let center Samson Satele go too? He'd probably say yes. LOL!

I like you as a commentator on game day Phil, but avoid discussing matters you know nothing about or are not equipped to even answer. Thank you.

"A man's got to know his limitations." --Clint Eastwood. 

Doesn't surprise me one bit, this has been going on for years with the Colts! They " the experts" make season predictions without ever taking into account what changes have/had been made during the offseason also.As far as draft needs, Tackle is the least of the O line worries, maybe for depth but not a need. RB really blows my mind, so much of a need the Colts just let a RB in D Brown walk who had his best year. Yes he wanted more money but its also a crowded backfield. *Somebody please find that angry Bill Parcells snarl at Phil Simms clip and post please coz I don't know how to do all that  

Phil Simms has always had a problem with the Colts. It goes all the way back when Manning was getting a lot of wins. He has used the term over rated numerous times about the Colts. Simms is not a GM and frankly, don't have the mentality of a GM.

He probably knows that Eli and Peyton will get in the Hall before him.

I can see why he said RB,We have two RB's who are coming off major injuries,,,,,,,,,,,and also the Bleacher report has  don't be surprised if the Colts draft a quick RB in the mold of A Darren Sproiles........Safty yes that is a given he is just reiterating that we need one ,OT,,,,,,,,,we have to many other needs to draft an OT that is a luxury draft and we only have 5 picks ,,,,,,,,,,,I say Safty,,,,,,,DL......(DE,NT,T,),,,,LB maybe,,,,,,,,WR.(a replacement for Reggie that we'll soon need ,,,,,... OL......

Phil Simms has always had a problem with the Colts. It goes all the way back when Manning was getting a lot of wins. He has used the term over rated numerous times about the Colts. Simms is not a GM and frankly, don't have the mentality of a GM.

Categorical nonsense.

Offensive Tackle

Safety

Running Back

I think he is right and wrong. I wouldn't say any of those are our biggest need but they are all needs so he isn't dumb. None of the running backs on the roster is a proven commodity. Ballard/Bradshaw coming off serious injuries. TRICH is as unproven as they get. Our only productive back last year is in SD. So we will likely take a back late in the draft I believe...at least for depth. Tackle is another need. We may have Cherilus and Costanzo but we are pretty thin behind them as far as any quality depth. With Constanzo going into his final year we could very well look at adding some insurance behind him or working someone out that could bounce inside and out at a higher level than what we have. Safety is a given that is a need and probably the greatest outside a guard in my opinion. I'm not sold on Thomas starting week 1 or possibly ever again at a high level. I'm all for investing in the best player available but I think G, FS, OLB are all areas we might invest in. I agree him and boomer can be kind of annoying because they just seem uninformed a lot of the time...to kind of gloss over things and look at things superficially but I don't really listen to any of them to make an informed decision on anything. Most of these pundits simply regurgitate stuff they've heard or have pretty surface deep remarks. That said I'm sure even Grigson has a different idea than most of us what he thinks we need or at least what is a priority because he probably has plans for many different scenerios going forward to better this team. 

That said if we draft those positions this year...I won't be dissappointed or shocked at all. I don't mind versatile lineman and not sold that Constanzo can't be upgraded if we develop someone better...and it looks like there may even be a safety worth starting in the second rd fall to us because of how talented the wr market is this year.

"Sometimes you throw a pass so good it's uncatchable" -Phil Simms as Brady launches a ball 20 yards over his recievers head.

He said that ↑↑

:spit::lol: :lol:

Sometimes the best passes are incomplete passes. I don't know what he was referring to in that quote as it could have been taken out of context but I wouldn't have minded Andrew throw a couple way over a couple peoples heads in the playoffs and save us 7 ints.

That said Tom is very well respected among most retired nfl qbs because he has won 3 sb titles...something many couldn't even dream of doing...so he gets a lot of praise. When you start off your career like he did you build alot of respect and awe very quickly. Many of those guys don't hold Peyton to the same light because they feel numbers are easy to get when you play in the new nfl standards.....even though he has the numbers plus the ring. Funny thing is that comparing the two qbs after 2006 they are basically very similar...with steller numbers and both have two sb appearances with both losing. At this point in their career they are almost the same guy. Both can still produce at high levels but can't throw the ball down the field like they used too consistantly. Both are essentially immobile with Tom moving a little better. I think Tom throws a stronger ball and Peyton seems to be a little more accurate right now and do a little more before snap. Both are legends...Tom just has the Dynasty link from the early years that makes him the more desirable career. It is no wonder these qbs kind of get stuck on him...he has it all. I just think they feel like Peyton for whatever reason has let them down when it comes to the big games. He has the tendency to be pretty average...and against elite defenses that isn't bad...but he didn't have the other side of the ball to help him. I think everyone is waiting for him to have that huge game...the 4 or 5 tds in the SB but it just hasn't happened...and likely won't at this point now.

Or maybe its just East coast bias lol. I will say Marino always gives Peyton a lot of props. I think he knows what it was like to carry a team most his career.

Sometimes the best passes are incomplete passes. I don't know what he was referring to in that quote as it could have been taken out of context but I wouldn't have minded Andrew throw a couple way over a couple peoples heads in the playoffs and save us 7 ints.

That said Tom is very well respected among most retired nfl qbs because he has won 3 sb titles...something many couldn't even dream of doing...so he gets a lot of praise. When you start off your career like he did you build alot of respect and awe very quickly. Many of those guys don't hold Peyton to the same light because they feel numbers are easy to get when you play in the new nfl standards.....even though he has the numbers plus the ring. Funny thing is that comparing the two qbs after 2006 they are basically very similar...with steller numbers and both have two sb appearances with both losing. At this point in their career they are almost the same guy. Both can still produce at high levels but can't throw the ball down the field like they used too consistantly. Both are essentially immobile with Tom moving a little better. I think Tom throws a stronger ball and Peyton seems to be a little more accurate right now and do a little more before snap. Both are legends...Tom just has the Dynasty link from the early years that makes him the more desirable career. It is no wonder these qbs kind of get stuck on him...he has it all. I just think they feel like Peyton for whatever reason has let them down when it comes to the big games. He has the tendency to be pretty average...and against elite defenses that isn't bad...but he didn't have the other side of the ball to help him. I think everyone is waiting for him to have that huge game...the 4 or 5 tds in the SB but it just hasn't happened...and likely won't at this point now.

Or maybe its just East coast bias lol. I will say Marino always gives Peyton a lot of props. I think he knows what it was like to carry a team most his career.

It's not out of context. That's what he said as Brady threw a sure TD right over the head of a wide open WR.

It's not out of context. That's what he said as Brady threw a sure TD right over the head of a wide open WR.

Thats fine lol...as I said after Tom has built up a pretty big following given his successes over the years...and rightfully so...that said apologist are not needed...those were just plainly poor throws...this wasn't a case of a receiver cutting their route short or getting pressured and hit as they throw..but just missing. He does catch a lot of breaks...like the throw to Welker in the SB that was too far behind him. Yes Welker can make that catch 7/10 times but a "good" throw is basically 100%. Yet Welker continues to get the blame. When you have built up decades of goodwill...you get some plays like that were you get off the hook.

As we know compare Andy Dalton's performance and they are asking him to be replaced and he wasn't much worse.

"Sometimes you throw a pass so good it's uncatchable" -Phil Simms as Brady launches a ball 20 yards over his recievers head.

Cris Collinsworth basically said this during the Pats and Broncos playoff game too. Too many Brady nut swingers.

I dont think Phil thought about this one..we aren't drafting a running back.....we have Vic Ballard and Bradshaw and Richardson..and there';s 100 undrafted free agents

We need depth at safety surely but we aren't going to pick an offensive tackle....we have good cash invested there already

Ive always thought that national folks have to look at all 32 teams so they don't have much time to think too deeply about any one of them

Offensive Tackle

Safety

Running Back

I saw that too and I remember thinking . . . Offensive tackle??

Sometimes I think these guys don't want to do too much research into this stuff so they just write something in.  

What are the odds of us being able to land either Terrance Brooks from FSU, Jimmie Ward from NIU or Deone Buchannon from Washington State in the 2nd round? or is that to early for those guys? obviously we need a safety after losing Bethea so that is why i am asking

Research: Johnathan Dowling (SS) western kentucky. A late round steal!

IMO, Simms is one of the worst analyst on TV.  He bumble and stumble through his deliver and usually is just giving a play by play of what you are seeing for yourself.  Rarely does he make you go "hmmmmm......I never thought of that."  He does seem to work well with Nantz though.