Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How do you like our defense as of now?

BlueCollarColts

Lets assume we go into the season with our defense as it stands now.

Ricky Jean Francois/Cory Redding, Josh Chapman, and Arthur Jones, OLB being Robert Mathis and Erik Walden/Bjoern Werner, ILB being D'Qwell Jackson and Jerrell Freeman, with our secondary being Greg Toler, LaRon Landry, Delano Howell, and Vontae Davis (feels so good having him back  :clap: )

How would you feel about this? Obviously everyone would probably like to see a new safety in place of Howell, which likely will happen in free agency or in the draft. 

Its pretty good. Toler needs to stay healthy but our corners have proven when healthy they are very good. FS is really our biggest concern....I don't think we can stand pat with Howell. I also think a NT will be necessary to. So to me I'm looking at two more signings on defense and two on offense...wr and center. Then draft bpa with a strong look at continuing to build our trenches and secondary.

Defense is looking way better. Would've liked to keep Bethea though. Right now only guys left at S looks like Clemens, Nate Allen, Major Wright, Charles Woodson, and Ryan Clark. Thought we could've had some long term success and mesh with Landry, Bethea, Toler, and Davis. Seems like we've always been patch fixing the secondary. Other than that it looks solid. Especially with Shepphard, McNary, and Kavell Conner pitching in with the linebacker core and hopefully Adongo continues to improve. Could be a beast in the making :goodluck:. Would like to see us grab a NT or two in the draft, always need depth there with the big dudes lol.

DE: Corey Redding/Ricky Jean Francois

NT: Josh Chapman

DE: Arthur Jones

OLB: Robert Mathis
ILB: D'Qwell Jackson
ILB: Jerrell Freeman
OLB: Bjoern Werner/Erik Walden

CB: Greg Toler

SS: LaRon Landry

FS: ?????

CB: Vontae Davis

It looks good on paper but we'll see what it will do. I think we need D-Line help still and Safety is a need, it wouldn't hurt to have better corners too.

Well Butler is a very good slot corner, and Davis is one of the premier corners in the league, and Toler was hurt most of the year, so hopefully he can stay healthy 

I'm pretty happy so far. Definatle helped ouselves on defense I feel. Still have some holes to fill but I think with the remaining time in free agency and the draft well address those areas. I think the big part of our free agency is over though, I think today was the big day for us most likely.I'm expect maybe 2 more mid level type signings like a C and a FS maybe and that's it. Then I'm expecting it to be pretty quite for us.

Ricky Jean Francois/Cory Redding, Josh Chapman, and Arthur Jones, OLB being Robert Mathis and Erik Walden/Bjoern Werner, ILB being D'Qwell Jackson and Jerrell Freeman, with our secondary being Greg Toler, LaRon Landry, Delano Howell, and Vontae Davis (feels so good having him back  :clap: )

How would you feel about this? Obviously everyone would probably like to see a new safety in place of Howell, which likely will happen in free agency or in the draft. 

Still need some help at NT and clearly another starting safety.  Jackson and Jones are nice pick ups but till we get a big monster NT we are never going to be very good at stopping the run out of the 3/4.

I think they are probably going to look at Montori playing NT behind Chapman and backing up the DE's as well. I wouldn't mind another NT, but Hughes looked pretty good when he got his snaps at NT.

We cannot, will not or should not ever under any circumstance go into an NFL season with Delano Howell as our starting free safety........period. That's as good of an idea as going into a season with Mike McGlynn and Samson Satele as starting O linemen.

I really like Howell but I have to agree. If we are planning on starting Howell at FS and Toler at CB our secondary will be our weakest link even with Davis back

Is our defense really that much better today than it was yesterday?

We've added Jones and Jackson....   fine.

And we've lost Bethea with no obvious replacement of equal value out there.

I'd say we're slightly better...   but, as Superman noted,  we still need another pass rusher (Werner?)   We still need a starting FS... and we need better depth everywhere.....

So...  maybe we're slightly better today...   with the promise of getting better over the next two months....

OK....

I'd say we're slightly better...   but, as Superman noted,  we still need another pass rusher (Werner?)   We still need a starting FS... and we need better depth everywhere.....

So...  maybe we're slightly better today...   with the promise of getting better over the next two months....

OK....

Bethea is terrible as our FS/SS. 0 range anymore, atm all he can do is play up on the line and get some run support going on. 

Bethea is terrible as our FS/SS. 0 range anymore, atm all he can do is play up on the line and get some run support going on. 

Perhaps....   lots of people here agree with you.

But a franchise that has a pretty good reputation for talent evaluation just gave him a 4-year deal for 23 Mill.   Not sure on the guaranteed,  but I'd guess a decent amount.    So,  San Francisco clearly thinks Bethea has something left in the tank....

Maybe he's not a good fit for our defense....   but the 49ers think he'll fit theirs pretty well.........

I like our defense. I don't think it's that great though.

Art Jones will definitely help as he's a very very good run stuffer.

DQ is a tackling machine, but isn't best suited for a 34 and isn't known as a run stuffer.

Are we better than last year? Yes. By how much? Right now, I don't think it's that significant

I'm not that enamored with it YET.  We added Arthur-Jones and Jackson, lost Bethea.  This defense in it's current assemblage, is not that much different than the one that took the field against New England, Kansas City, Arizona, St Louis, etc.  We need upgrades over Toler(unless he can stay healthy), and Chapman.  We also need another pass rusher and a starting safety. We added two, need four my players, by my count, from FA and the draft,

OK....

Big time upgrade in the front 7, and it won't be hard to replace Bethea since he isn't a FS.  I like Antoine, but he simply didn't fit.

Slightly better. I do not think Jackson is an enormous improvement but Arthur Jones is. When you add in having no replacement at safety, I think it is about even or perhaps a little better than last year.

Not bad. I like it a lot better now that we have kept Davis. Personally I liked Howell. But we only got to see a little bit of him. I'm thinking we draft a safety to compete with Howell for the starting spot.

OK....

If you are waiting on Werner, be prepared to wait a long, long time.

I'm not that enamored with it YET.  We added Arthur-Jones and Jackson, lost Bethea.  This defense in it's current assemblage, is not that much different than the one that took the field against New England, Kansas City, Arizona, St Louis, etc.  We need upgrades over Toler(unless he can stay healthy), and Chapman.  We also need another pass rusher and a starting safety. We added two, need four my players, by my count, from FA and the draft,

Hopefully in year 2 Werner is that pass rusher you speak of