Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How do you like our defense as of now?

BlueCollarColts

First, I want to say, I thought our defense was disappointing last year. They did have some good games, but overall I was not pleased with the defense's performance.

Here is my synopsis on the defense moving forward.

As for D'Qwell Jackson, I am happy we brought in a new LB  However, I did not watch many Cleveland games, and I am not that familiar with Jackson, so I won't know about Jackson till the football season begins. I have heard mixed opinions on D'Qwell

Same goes for Arthur Jones at DE. From what I've read, he sounds like an upgrade. But He cost 33 million, so I feel he must play at a very high level to warrant this high salary. Hopefully, Jones will meet everyone's expectations. My biggest concern is if Jones can bring enough of a pass rush?

I know everyone is thrilled we resigned Vontae. I however did not think we should pay him the huge amount he got.

My reasoning for this is simple, Davis was brought in two years ago via trade, and I had high hopes.

Now having watched the two passed seasons Davis played in, I was not impressed with his play enough to feel he deserves to be paid elite money.

I really didn't see Davis as that big of a factor on the field. To me, opposing receivers got open, and made too many completions against Vontae, week in and week out.

I am not saying he stinks, I just don't think he lives up to the hype.

RJF played worse than his backups did last year, and based on his big contract, should be cut. 

Moala was disappointing since we drafted him and should not have been resigned. However, it was only a one year deal. Hopefully we did not overpay Fili?

Finally healthy, Chapman did not play up to his expectations and remained second string to Franklin all season. Not sure he is the answer at NT and I think we still need more depth in the middle,

Montori Hughes looks like a good prospect. Either at DT or DE

Redding played well and has a year left under contract, so he's ok.

Robert Mathis had his best season and is fantastic.

But other than Mathis, our lack of any other proven pass rushes is our biggest problem. We need to find another End or LB that brings a rush.

Of course I like Jerrell Freeman. One of our best players.

Grigson traded for Sheppard and he did very little. I do not think he should be retained.

McNary had a nice season. A good young player.

I also think Bjorn Werner is going to be very good. A lot of fans were down on him. But I feel he will turn out to be great. Pass rushing skills are there.

Erik Walden did not live up to his big salary, but I think he's ok. I do not regret Grigson signing him. I thought the coaching may not have used Walden to the most of his potential last year.

I do not mind letting Bethea go. He was good for us, but time to move on. He got paid big by the 49ers

Like most of us, I had high hopes for Landry. But by seasons end I was not happy with his performance. From my analysis it wouldn't make sense to cut him (too big of a cap hit) so lets hope he improves with a new safety playing along his side.

Delano Howell looked like he can play. But finding a good FS is a high priority.

Greg Toler was hurt all year. But even at the beginning of the year, when he was healthy, I noticed how many open field tackles he missed. I worry about that.

Many of our fans feel it was because he was hurt, but Toler was awful in coverage at times and is a major concern of mine.

Toler can be cut to save cap space and that is an option the Colts have moving forward through 2014.

Resigning Gordy was a good move.

And Darius Butler is always good.

So I think we still need more pieces to the puzzle.

Pass Rush being by far the biggest hole to fill.

Is our defense really that much better today than it was yesterday?

We've added Jones and Jackson....   fine.

And we've lost Bethea with no obvious replacement of equal value out there.

I'd say we're slightly better...   but, as Superman noted,  we still need another pass rusher (Werner?)   We still need a starting FS... and we need better depth everywhere.....

So...  maybe we're slightly better today...   with the promise of getting better over the next two months....

OK....

IMO, depth on defense has improved over last year.  This is how I see it:

DE 2013 2014

Redding Jones

Moala Redding

Guy Moala

DT

RJF

Matthews Hughes

Pendleton

NT 

Franklin Chapman

Chapman ?? (possibly Hughes or Pendleton)

RushLB 

Mathis

Werner

SILB

Freeman Jackson

Sheppard

Muamba (?)

WILB

Angerer Freeman

Conner Harvey

SOLB

Walden

Sidbury Johnson (?) (we never got to see Sidbury)

RCB

Davis

Gordy

LCB

Toler

Vaughn Butler

SS

Bethea Landry

Howell 

FS

Landry Howell (this, imo is the only position where we've regressed and an upgrade could/should still come)

Brown

And that's just as of right now after only the first day of FA and with the draft still to come.

Perhaps.... lots of people here agree with you.

But a franchise that has a pretty good reputation for talent evaluation just gave him a 4-year deal for 23 Mill. Not sure on the guaranteed, but I'd guess a decent amount. So, San Francisco clearly thinks Bethea has something left in the tank....

Maybe he's not a good fit for our defense.... but the 49ers think he'll fit theirs pretty well.........

My guess is that he'll be their SS n help w the run. Eric Reid is their FS I think..He does all the roaming..

I'm not that enamored with it YET.  We added Arthur-Jones and Jackson, lost Bethea.  This defense in it's current assemblage, is not that much different than the one that took the field against New England, Kansas City, Arizona, St Louis, etc.  We need upgrades over Toler(unless he can stay healthy), and Chapman.  We also need another pass rusher and a starting safety. We added two, need four my players, by my count, from FA and the draft,

One of the biggest differences is that during those games, Cassius Vaughn was playing as our #2 CB.  He hasn't been re-signed.  Going into next season that role would be filled by either Gordy or Butler (if Toler gets hurt again), and both played far better than Vaughn.

First, I want to say, I thought our defense was disappointing last year. They did have some good games, but overall I was not pleased with the defense's performance.

As for D'Qwell Jackson, I am happy we brought in a new LB However, I did not watch many Cleveland games, and I am not that familiar with Jackson, so I won't know about Jackson till the football season begins. I have heard mixed opinions on D'Qwell

Same goes for Arthur Jones at DE. From what I've read, he sounds like an upgrade. But He cost 33 million, so I feel he must play at a very high level to warrant this high salary. Hopefully, Jones will meet everyone's expectations. My biggest concern is if Jones can bring enough of a pass rush?

I know everyone is thrilled we resigned Vontae. I however did not think we should pay him the huge amount he got.

My reasoning for this is simple, Davis was brought in two years ago via trade, and I had high hopes.

Now having watched the two passed seasons Davis played in, I was not impressed with his play enough to feel he deserves to be paid elite money.

I really didn't see Davis as that big of a factor on the field. To me, opposing receivers got open, and made too many completions against Vontae, week in and week out.

RJF played worse than his backups did last year, and based on his big contract, should be cut.

Moala was disappointing since we drafted him and should not have been resigned. However, it was only a one year deal. Hopefully we did not overpay Fili?

Finally healthy, Chapman did not play up to his expectations and remained second string to Franklin all season. Not sure he is the answer at NT and I think we still need more depth in the middle,

But other than Mathis, our lack of any other proven pass rushes is our biggest problem. We need to find another End or LB that brings a rush.

Grigson traded for Sheppard and he did very little. I do not think he should be retained.

I also think Bjorn Werner is going to be very good. A lot of fans were down on him. But I feel he will turn out to be great. Pass rushing skills are there.

Erik Walden did not live up to his big salary, but I think he's ok. I do not regret Grigson signing him. I thought the coaching may not have used Walden to the most of his potential last year.

I do not mind letting Bethea go. He was good for us, but time to move on. He got paid big by the 49ers

Like most of us, I had high hopes for Landry. But by seasons end I was not happy with his performance. From my analysis it wouldn't make sense to cut him (too big of a cap hit) so lets hope he improves with a new safety playing along his side.

Delano Howell looked like he can play. But finding a good FS is a high priority.

Greg Toler was hurt all year. But even at the beginning of the year, when he was healthy, I noticed how many open field tackles he missed. I worry about that.

Many of our fans feel it was because he was hurt, but Toler was awful in coverage at times and is a major concern of mine.

Toler can be cut to save cap space and that is an option the Colts have moving forward through 2014.

So I think we still need more pieces to the puzzle.

OMG so tired of hearing people say we overpaid for players like yall really have a clue.. Davis did not get overpaid. He made about the same as Talib and Davis is younger, his potential is still growing. He got paid like one of the top 10 corners in the league like he is. The top 2 - 3 corners are the ones getting overpaid.. Revis..$16 mil a year.. God only knows what Sherman will rake in. We paid what we had to pay to have a good CB.

your post...removed just too save room

What part of his responsibilities did RJF not live up to?

How could the coaches have used Walden differently to have gotten the most out of his potential?

Also, the terms Big contract and Big Salary don't really apply to Walden or RJF.  Both are making on par what other starters around the league are at their same positions.

Is our defense really that much better today than it was yesterday?

We've added Jones and Jackson....   fine.

And we've lost Bethea with no obvious replacement of equal value out there.

I'd say we're slightly better...   but, as Superman noted,  we still need another pass rusher (Werner?)   We still need a starting FS... and we need better depth everywhere.....

So...  maybe we're slightly better today...   with the promise of getting better over the next two months....

OK....

Marginally, perhaps.  To contend, they need to hit the jackpot somewhere - on a pick or someone as yet unsigned.  Or, a current or recently signed player or two need to drastically exceed expectations.  I just don't see the difference makers/play makers of a championship defense.  Add to that, this being Mathis' final year of his contract at 33. 

Hopefully it comes together somehow.   

OMG so tired of hearing people say we overpaid for players like yall really have a clue.. Davis did not get overpaid. He made about the same as Talib and Davis is younger, his potential is still growing. He got paid like one of the top 10 corners in the league like he is. The top 2 - 3 corners are the ones getting overpaid.. Revis..$16 mil a year.. God only knows what Sherman will rake in. We paid what we had to pay to have a good CB.

You are exactly right. We have no idea what is going on between the GM and the agent and the other teams making bids.

I just came back from the grocery store where I overpaid!  Well if I want to eat quality food then that is what the market dictated.

I think they are probably going to look at Montori playing NT behind Chapman and backing up the DE's as well. I wouldn't mind another NT, but Hughes looked pretty good when he got his snaps at NT.

Thanks for this about Montori.It`s like these people dismiss developing talent. The guy is Chapman like with speed. Listed above 340lb. Chapman IS the run stuffer we need.

We got killed by the run because Moala, and Mathews were terrible, Mathis is weak ESPECIALLY when playing by those 2. Redding got handled much of the time, Franklin was weak, Angerer has always made many tackles AFTER yards gained, and Sheppard was lost early, he did improve some. 

Pendleton at 330ish showed me plenty of athleticism in his brief stint.

Our front seven will be Vastly improved. Our secondary will Greatly Appreciate that.

Grigson will set us up at FS. I am impressed he went another way. Showed me something.

Our GM and his Team have Earned an A for this roster build.

Defense still lacks pass rush.

Mathis and possibly Werner are the only "pass rushers" on our defense.

True, but look at Baltimore.  Their only real pass rushers are Suggs and Dumervill.  This system isn't dependent on having a number of "pass rushers" like, for example, the Giants.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for as much depth at OLB as possible and if they bring in another pass rusher then that's fantastic.  I expect we'll at least draft one and probably look for an UDFA or 2 but if they grab one in FA then hey, the more the merrier.  

The defense is much improved from last year but we still need a FS, CB, and OLB. We should be able to draft a good FS in the mid rounds but i think CB is a bigger need then OLB. We still have Mathis, Walden, and i'm expecting an improved Werner at OLB but there's no depth behind Davis and Toler. There's a slim chance Toler stays healthy this year we need more depth at that position.

Draft 

2. Keith Mcgill CB

3. Ed Reynolds FS

5. James Gayle OLB

6. Alex Nuetz WR

What part of his responsibilities did RJF not live up to?

How could the coaches have used Walden differently to have gotten the most out of his potential?

Also, the terms Big contract and Big Salary don't really apply to Walden or RJF.  Both are making on par what other starters around the league are at their same positions.

In my opinion, RJF did not do much at all, period.

No pass rush, not a big factor against the run. Just an average or below average player.

I don't know how else to put it, other than he just was not that good.

As for Walden, I would have liked to see him used more in pass rushing situations.

Since I feel our defenses biggest deficiency is lack of pass rush other than Mathis.

Walden was taken out of the game quite often and substituted for also.

I just think Walden may be a better in his second year with the team.

And as for the two players making on par with what other starters are making, that is true.

What I am saying is that some of our players (like RJF) are not worthy to be starting, yet are getting paid as such.

In my opinion, RJF did not do much at all, period.

No pass rush, not a big factor against the run. Just an average or below average player.

I don't know how else to put it, other than he just was not that good.

As for Walden, I would have liked to see him used more in pass rushing situations.

Since I feel our defenses biggest deficiency is lack of pass rush other than Mathis.

Walden was taken out of the game quite often and substituted for also.

I just think Walden may be a better in his second year with the team.

And as for the two players making on par with what other starters are making, that is true.

What I am saying is that some of our players (like RJF) are not worthy to be starting, yet are getting paid as such.

RJF had a statistically similar year to Arthur Jones, the guy we just signed.  He had more sacks than everyone on Baltimore's DL with the exception of Jones, but Jones played in 4 more games.  RJF also plays both 1-gap and 2-gap depending on the situation so perhaps you're thinking he should be doing one thing when in actuality, for that particular play he has different responsibilities.  He was also hampered by an injury but had continuously improved from day one until he got injured.  He came back from injury a little rusty but then seemed to pick right up where he left off.  That was also his first year as a full time starter AND his first year in THIS defensive scheme.  So a few growing pains should have been expected.  

As for Walden, he was not intended to play as a pass rusher.  That much was made clear from day one.  They drafted Werner to play behind Mathis at RushLB and as a bookend edge rusher opposite Mathis on long yardage situations.  There was never any intention of having Walden be one of our primary pass rushers because that has never been his forte.  He did do better than I expected when Werner got hurt though.

It sounds like you're expecting things from players that they're not responsible for.  

Perhaps.... lots of people here agree with you.

But a franchise that has a pretty good reputation for talent evaluation just gave him a 4-year deal for 23 Mill. Not sure on the guaranteed, but I'd guess a decent amount. So, San Francisco clearly thinks Bethea has something left in the tank....

Maybe he's not a good fit for our defense.... but the 49ers think he'll fit theirs pretty well.........

the 9ers also have a legit FS letting Bethea play to his strength. We do not so he fits them better

I really just completely don't understand why you all are so excited about the defense.  Can someone clearly explain to me what is so different about this defense than the one that allowed the Patriots and Chiefs to score over 40 points against it. That was 20th in the league last year?  I mean we picked up a couple players and lost Bethea. Do some of you really see that much improvement or are you all just being supportive of the team? If you are just being supportive that's fine and I can understand that but can someone who really believes the defense is that much better please explain why?

I really just completely don't understand why you all are so excited about the defense.  Can someone clearly explain to me what is so different about this defense than the one that allowed the Patriots and Chiefs to score over 40 points against it. That was 20th in the league last year?  I mean we picked up a couple players and lost Bethea. Do some of you really see that much improvement or are you all just being supportive of the team? If you are just being supportive that's fine and I can understand that but can someone who really believes the defense is that much better please explain why?

1. Vontae Davis was still recovering from a groin injury in the playoffs.  

2. Greg Toler played less than a full quarter in the playoffs.

3. ILB depth has improved.  D'Qwell Jackson and Freeman should be a significant upgrade over Freeman and Angerer (who struggled to stay healthy).  McNary and Sheppard should be better depth than Angerer and Conner, especially since Angerer struggled to stay healthy and Conner rarely saw the field.  Muamba is an x-factor.

4. DL depth has improved.  IMO the starting line will be Jones - Chapman - RJF instead of Redding (who played well but is starting to show his age) - Franklin (who struggled early and often) - RJF (struggled early but improved as the season progressed).  For depth, Redding, Moala, 2nd year Hughes and Pendleton (not including any potential draft picks) should be an improvement over Matthews, Moala, Guy and rookie Hughes.

5. CB depth has improved.  Davis and Toler will remain the starters and hopefully Toler can stay healthy.  When he was healthy, during the first 6 or 7 games last year, the defense played very well.  Butler will still be the starter in the slot.  However, we learned the hard way that Gordy is better in coverage than Vaughn so I highly doubt Vaughn will return.  As of now I suppose Sheldon Price takes the final spot but there's still the draft.  Either way, Gordy is an upgrade over Vaughn at the #4 spot.

Another thing that should help the defense immensely is the improvement on the OL.  As bad as the OL was, the offense struggled to move the ball a lot last year, leaving the defense on the field far more than they should have been.  With an offense that doesn't go 3 and out consistently, the defense will be able to catch their breath on the sidelines.  

However, all this said, even against the Patriots, the defense held up pretty well all things considered, up until Blount's huge TD run that came what, late 3rd quarter ish?  Up to that point, the defense had played well enough to keep the Colts in the game, but the offense struggled to get anything going.

So all in all, just looking at the box score and team stats from those 2 playoff losses doesn't even come close to telling the whole story.

RJF had a statistically similar year to Arthur Jones, the guy we just signed.  He had more sacks than everyone on Baltimore's DL with the exception of Jones, but Jones played in 4 more games.  RJF also plays both 1-gap and 2-gap depending on the situation so perhaps you're thinking he should be doing one thing when in actuality, for that particular play he has different responsibilities.  He was also hampered by an injury but had continuously improved from day one until he got injured.  He came back from injury a little rusty but then seemed to pick right up where he left off.  That was also his first year as a full time starter AND his first year in THIS defensive scheme.  So a few growing pains should have been expected.  

As for Walden, he was not intended to play as a pass rusher.  That much was made clear from day one.  They drafted Werner to play behind Mathis at RushLB and as a bookend edge rusher opposite Mathis on long yardage situations.  There was never any intention of having Walden be one of our primary pass rushers because that has never been his forte.  He did do better than I expected when Werner got hurt though.

It sounds like you're expecting things from players that they're not responsible for.  

Well, I do understand that Pagano runs the 3-4 scheme.

But if Mathis is the only player on the field who has the ability to rush the passer, or if Mathis is the only player on the field who is expected to rush the passer... How can we get any pass rush?

One of the reasons Grigson signed Erik Walden was the great game he played against us, when he was with GB in 2012. In that game Walden was credited with three hurries and two hits on quarterback Andrew Luck and was "unblockable"

So obviously they appreciate his pass rushing abilities.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1569001-how-erik-walden-duped-colts-into-overpaying-for-his-services

My feeling is Walden needs to be used more in 3rd and long situations.

I am just stating here which players I see as productive, and which players I see as ineffective. You can disagree. But I want improvement.

Our defense, for the most part was lousy all last year, and it stunk in the playoffs. Unless more changes occur it may just stink again.

Well, I do understand that Pagano runs the 3-4 scheme.

But if Mathis is the only player on the field who has the ability to rush the passer, or if Mathis is the only player on the field who is expected to rush the passer... How can we get any pass rush?

One of the reasons Grigson signed Erik Walden was the great game he played against us, when he was with GB when he was credited with three hurries and two hits on quarterback Andrew Luck

So obviously they appreciate his pass rushing abilities.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1569001-how-erik-walden-duped-colts-into-overpaying-for-his-services

My feeling is Walden needs to be used more in 3rd and long situations.

All I am just saying which players I see as productive, and which players I see as ineffective. You can disagree. But I want improvement.

Our defense, for the most part was lousy all last year, and it stunk in the playoffs. Unless more changes occur it may just stink again.

Well first of all I don't think the Colts defense was lousy all last year.  They actually played well the first 5 or 6 games, up until Reggie and Toler both got hurt.  Both injuries had a huge impact on the defense.  Without Reggie, the offense struggled to gain any yardage, let alone first downs so the defense was on the field all the time.  Also, without Toler (the 2nd best CB), they had to use Vaughn in his place for several games until he actually regressed and they benched him for Gordy, who played better.

Also, I didn't go through every team we played this past year, but there were only 3 teams that held the Bronco's offense to fewer points than the Colts.  San Diego twice, Kansas City and New England (during the regular season) held Denver to fewer points than the Colts defense allowed.  

As for your question about the pass rush.  The way I understand the defense (which could be wrong) and from what I've seen, it appears as if the entire focus (especially on passing downs) is to collapse the pocket and push it so that the QB has to try to change direction and escape to the weak side, where the RushLB is going to be.  They'll 2 gap on the strong side but 1-gap with RJF and Mathis.  That led to several scenarios where Mathis was either one on one with the LT with no blocking help, and even times where Mathis only had a RB or TE in front of him.  The defensive linemen combined may account for 5-10 sacks throughout the season but that's about it.  

Just look at Baltimore players' sack numbers from last year.  Dumverfill and Suggs combined for about 19 sacks.  Daryl Smith (ILB) had 5, Arthur Jones had 4 and after that you have a handful of guys with 1-3 sacks each.  The Colts sack numbers came in very much the same way.  

The coverage simply has to hold up for 2-3 seconds and someone will get to the QB.  The biggest problems we faced were when Vaughn was on the field.  They had to adjust coverages, play more zone and one way or another, short/quick throws were becoming more and more available.  We could have had a DL of Mathis - Suh - Cameron Jordan - Robert Quinn and it really wouldn't have mattered because the ball was coming out too quickly.

Marginally, perhaps.  To contend, they need to hit the jackpot somewhere - on a pick or someone as yet unsigned.  Or, a current or recently signed player or two need to drastically exceed expectations.  I just don't see the difference makers/play makers of a championship defense.  Add to that, this being Mathis' final year of his contract at 33. 

Hopefully it comes together somehow.   

I could be wrong,  but I thought Mathis has two more years to go on his deal.

I thought the new team signed him to a 4-year deal?     Is that not correct?

Actually.....   you read it wrong.   

It is indeed 2016 as I thought.    The guys above and below Mathis are 2018 guys.

He was signed to his new 4-year deal in 2012.   So, '13, '14, and '15 and he's done in 2016.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/robert-mathis/

Lets assume we go into the season with our defense as it stands now.

Ricky Jean Francois/Cory Redding, Josh Chapman, and Arthur Jones, OLB being Robert Mathis and Erik Walden/Bjoern Werner, ILB being D'Qwell Jackson and Jerrell Freeman, with our secondary being Greg Toler, LaRon Landry, Delano Howell, and Vontae Davis (feels so good having him back  :clap: )

How would you feel about this? Obviously everyone would probably like to see a new safety in place of Howell, which likely will happen in free agency or in the draft. 

Plenty good enough...if we ash-can our conservative ways on offense..

Here's what I project.

DE: Jones, Redding, Moala

NT: Chapman, Pendleton (335 lbs, showed a good push late in the season - so I'm comfortable in the backup NT role)

DE: RJF, Hughes

OLB: Walden, Werner

OLB: Mathis, Cam Johnson, Studabaker

ILB: Freeman, McNary, Hcemba (sp)

ILB: DQ Jackson, Shephard

CB: Vontae Davis, Cassius Vaughn, Josh Gordy

CB: Greg Toler, Darius Butler

S: Landry, Howell

S: DRAFT, Sergio Brown

First, I want to say, I thought our defense was disappointing last year. They did have some good games, but overall I was not pleased with the defense's performance.

As for D'Qwell Jackson, I am happy we brought in a new LB  However, I did not watch many Cleveland games, and I am not that familiar with Jackson, so I won't know about Jackson till the football season begins. I have heard mixed opinions on D'Qwell

I really didn't see Davis as that big of a factor on the field. To me, opposing receivers got open, and made too many completions against Vontae, week in and week out.

RJF played worse than his backups did last year, and based on his big contract, should be cut. 

Moala was disappointing since we drafted him and should not have been resigned. However, it was only a one year deal. Hopefully we did not overpay Fili?

Like most of us, I had high hopes for Landry. But by seasons end I was not happy with his performance. From my analysis it wouldn't make sense to cut him (too big of a cap hit) so lets hope he improves with a new safety playing along his side.

Greg Toler was hurt all year. But even at the beginning of the year, when he was healthy, I noticed how many open field tackles he missed. I worry about that.

So I think we still need more pieces to the puzzle.

Shame on anyone that took the time to actually read this

I'm halfway sad to see Bethea go, as he was a holdover from the Dungy days and the 06 Superbowl team (save for Wayne and Mathis now), but he was probably one of the worst Safeties in the league for quite a while now.

Lots of tackles, but very few INTs, passes defended, etc. A liability in coverage.

It's time to give our safety draft pick this year a try.