Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Report: Nicks willing to take 1-year Deal....

NFL.com says the Giants WR is willing to accept a one-year deal to show his ability and to show that past leg injuries are fine and will not be a problem for him in 2014.

Nicks is sending out letters from foot and knee doctors to all 32 teams to assure GM's that his injuries are OK.

For a one-year deal,  I'm interested.    To a point.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000332025/article/report-hakeem-nicks-healthy-open-to-oneyear-deal

NFL.com says the Giants WR is willing to accept a one-year deal to show his ability and to show that past leg injuries are fine and will not be a problem for him in 2014.

Nicks is sending out letters from foot and knee doctors to all 32 teams to assure GM's that his injuries are OK.

For a one-year deal, I'm interested. To a point.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000332025/article/report-hakeem-nicks-healthy-open-to-oneyear-deal

For a cheap one year I'd kick the tires

I have a feeling were gonna sign Decker. The word is that were pretty interested in him. If the staff really does feel strongly about him, then I'm sure they will get a deal done. This is just a feeling I have. Who knows though...

I have a feeling your feeling is way off the mark

Because we both realize that our front office should rather pay the same/slightly more: for vontae Davis than an over inflated #2 receiver.

That's what you both feel, but is it how the front office feels and sees things at this time? We can think, realize and feel all we want. It says nothing though about what the guys who make the decisions are thinking or the decision they will make. All I'm gonna say is don't get too comfortablebbecause yourliable to be supprised.

And just so you know I never advocated I want us to sign Decker, I was just saying what my feeling was. I honestly dont want us to overpay for him either.

That's what you both feel, but is it how the front office feels and sees things at this time? We can think, realize and feel all we want. It says nothing though about what the guys who make the decisions are thinking or the decision they will make. All I'm gonna say is don't get too comfortablebbecause yourliable to be supprised.

And just so you know I never advocated I want us to sign Decker, I was just saying what my feeling was. I honestly dont want us to overpay for him either.

If our fa pays for Decker over 1 of the top cbs or especially Byrd/Davis...then I'm done. It'd officially signal to me that the Colts are allergic to defense.

That's nice to hear and I'm sure the Panthers are thrilled. He's not coming here. Carolina will snatch him up and pair him with Brandon Cooks or OBIII(Odell Beckham III), along with veteran Steve Smith to give Cam a respectable receiving core. Also helps he's from the area too.

It would be a smarter move than signing Decker. I don't want to waste money on a WR period, but if they do I would rather it be a guy like Nicks than Decker.

I feel the same way. If they are gonna spend money on a WR at least make it cheap dont blow 9-10 mil on Decker.

I just don't get all the hate on Decker. His yards after the catch is as good as anyone's. If he could be signed for a long term cap friendly contract I think it would work. His numbers were down a little with the Wes Welker signing. With Reggie Wayne coming off his injury and being in the twilight of his playing days a player of Deckers ability should be a welcome. Put Wayne, TY and Decker out and Luck would be set with a top notch receiving corps. Add a healthy Allen along with Fleener the Colts would have to considered one of the best. I understand the concern over the money but to have a top flight receiving Corp it will have to be paid for regardless.

And how is that?

The Colts are one of the most tight-lipped organizations out there.    I doubt they put that info out there....

Decker would prefer to stay in Denver, but he's put it out there that he might leave, depending on what Denver offers.

Who do you think floated the idea that Indy is interested?      I'd say the likelihood is it came from Decker's agent.   It's in their interest to generate heat around the client.    Make it sound like lots of teams are interested and help drive up the price.

That's often how the game is played................

I just don't get all the hate on Decker. His yards after the catch is as good as anyone's. If he could be signed for a long term cap friendly contract I think it would work. His numbers were down a little with the Wes Welker signing. With Reggie Wayne coming off his injury and being in the twilight of his playing days a player of Deckers ability should be a welcome. Put Wayne, TY and Decker out and Luck would be set with a top notch receiving corps. Add a healthy Allen along with Fleener the Colts would have to considered one of the best. I understand the concern over the money but to have a top flight receiving Corp it will have to be paid for regardless.

No one hates Decker.     The caution expressed here is over the potential size of the contract.    High priced FA WR's rarely pay off as hoped for.

If we can get Decker for a "long term cap friendly contract" as you wrote,  then that might work for everyone.    But that's not what Decker wants.     Decker wants #1 WR money and few think he's worth it.   Buyer beware.    He wants a huge contract to leave Denver.   That's what most here are objecting to.      

As for paying a top flight receiving core...   there are only so many cap dollars to spend and you can only spend so much on 5 WR's and 3 TE's.     Spending wisely is what good franchises do..........

Yeah, that's interesting.

I'd bet we'd rather sign something longer. Hmmmm

I hope we don't sign any WR. I'm wanting us to draft Moncrief really bad.

Yeah I'd rather us go for WR with our first pick in the draft. Allen Robinson if he falls to 59, Moncrief if he doesn't (more realistic).

But if we do sign a WR in FA I'd rather Nicks on a one year prove it deal than shelling out big bucks to Decker. I think Decker is good, but not as good as his contract will demand. The other WR I wouldn't mind us bringing in on a short deal if we wind up looking for a cheaper guy, is Jerricho Cotchery.  

Does Hakeem Nicks have a choice other than 1 yr. deal? At least the Eagles were willing to do a multi-year deal for Maclin.

When the team that drafted him knows him best and has not offered him even a 1 yr. deal after his rookie contract (if the Giants had offered it to keep him from hitting FA, he would have taken it if he is willing to publicly state the 1 yr. deal thing), one does have to wonder.

Is it work ethic or is it injuries? Maybe it is both. It was his contract year last year and he couldn't separate as well, and not a single TD the entire year. Plus, he had untimely drops.

Have we not had enough with the 1 yr. dabbling like Donnie Avery and DHB? Do we need to get burnt again? While I understand not wanting to give too much for a WR like Decker (justifiably), I think it is time we do a 2 or 3 yr. mid-tier deal with someone like James Jones that has shown availability and ability.

Of course, everyone loves a deal. Sometimes, it is prudent to wait it out and see if you can strike a mid-tier bargain. Lets address the other positions, and I am sure there will be enough mid-tier WR deals to be had but my personal preference is not to go the 1 yr. route again. Yes, Bradshaw won 2 SBs too and had productive years too, but we can't live in the past with Nicks just like with Bradshaw. Time to face the facts and the present.

HMMMM...just read an ESPN article where he said he "Wants it known he wants a long-term deal."  

What do ya want Hakeem?   :)

"Ideally this is what I want: I want to go to a team where I'm the missing link. There are a number of teams that I have my eye on once I hit the market. I know if I went to a place like Indianapolis I would be dangerous with a quarterback like Andrew Luck. I can see myself catching passes from Cam Newton or even Philip Rivers. Players have already started to reach out to me from other teams saying they would love for me to come join them. I just want to make it clear that I want a long-term deal and I want to be happy. I'm excited about talking to teams and making it work." 

HMMMM...just read an ESPN article where he said he "Wants it known he wants a long-term deal."  

What do ya want Hakeem?   :)

"Ideally this is what I want: I want to go to a team where I'm the missing link. There are a number of teams that I have my eye on once I hit the market. I know if I went to a place like Indianapolis I would be dangerous with a quarterback like Andrew Luck. I can see myself catching passes from Cam Newton or even Philip Rivers. Players have already started to reach out to me from other teams saying they would love for me to come join them. I just want to make it clear that I want a long-term deal and I want to be happy. I'm excited about talking to teams and making it work." 

Brent....

I think the two stories are really part of one big story.

Hakeem does indeed want a long-term contract.    He wants 5 and 45/50 Mill.     But, he knows he can't get that...  not off his last two seasons.    So...  he goes public saying he's willing to take a one-year make-good deal to re-establish his worth....

He's hedging his bets....  I think he can be had for roughly $5-7 Mill on a one year deal.   But I agree with others who think Carolina might be the favorite since that's where he's from and where he went to school and they've got Cam...   I suspect we'd be 2nd choice...   of course that all can change with the $$ we may be willing to offer....

I'd rather do that than signing Decker to a huge contract

Yes totally agree 110% sign Nicks FORGET about signing Decker,,,,,,,,,,,,he is over rated ,,,,was/is a product of Peyton M. and having great Other receivers on the Broncos,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,We'd be wasting way to much $$$$$$$$$$$ on Decker when we could sign Nicks and many others for the price of a one E.Decker

Hell No not for the price we'd pay for Decker,,,,,,,,,,,We need $$ FOR OTHER FREE AGENTS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and we should sign Nicks to a 1 year deal,,,,,think he is a lot better than Decker who benifitted from having Peyton throw him the ball n Denver having other great receivers who took the defenders off Decker

Brent....

I think the two stories are really part of one big story.

Hakeem does indeed want a long-term contract.    He wants 5 and 45/50 Mill.     But, he knows he can't get that...  not off his last two seasons.    So...  he goes public saying he's willing to take a one-year make-good deal to re-establish his worth....

He's hedging his bets....  I think he can be had for roughly $5-7 Mill on a one year deal.   But I agree with others who think Carolina might be the favorite since that's where he's from and where he went to school and they've got Cam...   I suspect we'd be 2nd choice...   of course that all can change with the $$ we may be willing to offer....

I agree.  I also agree on Carolina.  

I think I would go draft myself...we will know in just over 24 hours...how the story begins to pan out.  I cannot wait!!

Hell No not for the price we'd pay for Decker,,,,,,,,,,,We need $$ FOR OTHER FREE AGENTS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and we should sign Nicks to a 1 year deal,,,,,think he is a lot better than Decker who benifitted from having Peyton throw him the ball n Denver having other great receivers who took the defenders off Decker

So Decker wouldn't benefit any from Luck throwing the ball to him? Decker had competition from the two Thomasas and Welker and still put up great numbers. Nicks hasn't even showed he can stay heathy. Nicks-1588 yards and 4 TDs the last two seasons. Decker-2352 yards and 24 TDs the last two seasons. Numbers dont lie.

So Decker wouldn't benefit any from Luck throwing the ball to him? Decker had competition from the two Thomasas and Welker and still put up great numbers. Nicks hasn't even showed he can stay heathy. Nicks-1588 yards and 4 TDs the last two seasons. Decker-2352 yards and 24 TDs the last two seasons. Numbers dont lie.

he is an ok receiver -Certainly not worth over paying for as a #1,Even Polian and a host of others on football shows ESPN have said the same,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'd rathe get Golden Tate,actually over Nicks also

he is an ok receiver -Certainly not worth over paying for as a #1,Even Polian and a host of others on football shows ESPN have said the same,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'd rathe get Golden Tate,actually over Nicks also

You compleatly lost me when you bring Polian into the subject. He has long lost the ability to know what is right or wrong about the NFL. He refuses to even acknowledge the difference between NFL players from 20-25 years ago compaired to todays players. He jumped on Mannings back and road him like a mule without considering trying anything he didn't agree with. Then he puts his son in charge and that was a total joke. Now he has pulled a total hypocritical move by becoming exactly who he hated as a GM and his thoughts about the media. Sorry , I cant take you bringing Polian and his thoughts into anything that is remotely relevant to todays Colts.