Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If the Colts let PattyMac test FA...

Indeee

I'm gonna be ticked. Yes Pats numbers fell off a bit this past year, which kinda boggled me. I mean sometimes I was like whats wrong with his leg, however being an avid watcher of football that I am, a truly good to great punter is essential and really hard to find. Especially one that can punt and handle kickoff duties. The colts have to give Patty a long term deal IMO

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna be ticked. Yes Pats numbers fell off a bit this past year, which kinda boggled me. I mean sometimes I was like whats wrong with his leg, however being an avid watcher of football that I am, a truly good to great punter is essential and really hard to find. Especially one that can punt and handle kickoff duties. The colts have to give Patty a long term deal IMO

I'd be disappointed if they let him go also, he's not afraid to hit someone and he's got a good leg

He's a punter.

bustedtees.696db475-705c-45dc-bbcb-ff7d6

Financially, I'd say they shouldn't pay for a punter. They're a dime a dozen, and let's face it, he's no Ray Guy. He's good, but not a game changer.

Personally, I love his attitude and all the off field activities. Ever since his canal incident, he's been a great role model and team representative. Hilarious on twitter too.

I hope the team keeps him, but I understand the numbers might not be there. Obviously there is cap space, but there are also holes that the team needs to fill. Personally, I'm glad it's not my job to choose who to sign and who to let go.

Nevertheless, I do think Patrick O'Donnell would be a logical choice to replace Pat if they go to through the draft. Huge leg, solid athleticism, nice size, does kickoffs, is named Pat. Almost perfect transition. I just need to know if he enjoys swimming.

Transitioning to a college prospect seems really hit or miss at punter, though. Even the best college punters don't translate. It'd be truly odd seeing the Colts with punter issues after making a nice transition from Stark (still the best in franchise history, if you ask me) to Gardocki to Smith and to McAfee.

Whoever the punter is next year better not stink!

really another thread about this.

offseason strikes again...

Really another complaint about a thread?

Don't open it and then create useless comment, it's offseason would you rather there be absolutely zero threads on the forum? Of course your gonna see the same stuff being talked about all the time because nothing new is happenin yet

It all comes down to money.  I love Pat and think he is great for the franchise/fans, but if he wants to much money you need to let him go.  You do not break the bank for punters.  They are great weapons, but are you really going to hinder your ability to address the DB or OL because you have to much money tied up in a punter?

Apparently there has been a deal on the table for quite some time. Irsay wanted Pat to sign the contract when he was a guest on Pat's show and Pat nervously laughed, but did not say anything positive. I think the Colts want to keep Pat more than he wants to stay.

Really another complaint about a thread?

Don't open it and then create useless comment, it's offseason would you rather there be absolutely zero threads on the forum? Of course your gonna see the same stuff being talked about all the time because nothing new is happenin yet

Yes I would rather have no new threads.. keep it in the same threads as the old one,  beause nothing new is happening, as you say

no spamming necessary..

He's a guest host on Bob and Tom all the time and he has said time and time again, all he wants is a fair deal for his position. He bought a house in Indy and will make Indy his home forever. Unless he wants to move back and forth from the season to the offseason it would be wise to stay with the Colts for a fair contract.

He's a guest host on Bob and Tom all the time and he has said time and time again, all he wants is a fair deal for his position. He bought a house in Indy and will make Indy his home forever. Unless he wants to move back and forth from the season to the offseason it would be wise to stay with the Colts for a fair contract.

Houses can be bought and sold no problem. I too believe he would like to stay in Indy. However, Pat is marketable. If he was able to get to a larger market, he could earn a fair amount of additional income with endorsements. I don't believe football is his ultimate end game in life. I think Pat would like to be an entertainer.....just my opinion. I obviously can't say any of this with any certainty. He is a good community guy and a good face for the Colts. I hope they are able to work something out.

Listened to Pat last week on the Dan Dakich show. Didn't sound like a guy confident he would be back.  Also said he is not looking forward to negotiations.  Said the Colts took some shots at him last time through his agent and most of it was personal stuff, not football related. That may happen all the time i don't know, but he sounded surprised and said he isn't looking forward to it again.  They didn't get a deal done then and it wouldn't surprise me if they don't this time either.

Listened to Pat last week on the Dan Dakich show. Didn't sound like a guy confident he would be back.  Also said he is not looking forward to negotiations.  Said the Colts took some shots at him last time through his agent and most of it was personal stuff, not football related. That may happen all the time i don't know, but he sounded surprised and said he isn't looking forward to it again.  They didn't get a deal done then and it wouldn't surprise me if they don't this time either.

Heard the samething and going all the way back to what he posted on his twitter feed after the Pats game I get the idea Pat feels like he is gone. 

I know that's not something the forum wants to hear and frankly I want Pat back but Pat wasn't drafted by Grigson so that was strike one, GMs like their own players.  Also from the sounds of what Pat was saying it sounds like the Colts have some kind of personal issue with him so probably strike two.  The third strike and maybe the most important one might be cost.  I have a feeling Grigson is looking at the price tag it will cost to keep him and thinking he can either draft another punter late or get one undrafted and save money. 

Pat did go out of his way to say he's not looking for money he's just looking for respect and I took the feeling out of that interview he doesn't feel respected by the Colts. 

I think we all like Pat but I think if we all had to be honest with ourselves we like him more for his off the field stuff than we do on his on the field stuff (not that he's a bad player by any means that is NOT what I am saying) and teams don't give you a major pay day in the NFL because you are liked off the field. 

I think Grigson is looking at things like this a team that has a lot of holes still and only five draft picks and about thirty million to spend to fill those holes.   On top of that they are probably going to have to franchise tag Davis even if they do work out a long term deal with him down the road that will still be $10 million of that thirty million till they reach a deal.  So that leaves $20 million and that's before you get to guys like Pat, Adam, Brown, and Bethea.  They could spend almost all of that just to keep those four guys.  Being a good GM means sometimes having to make the hard call on a fan favorite.  Grigson might not feel like McAfee is worth the price tag or that that money can be better spent some place else. 

I do think it's almost a lock he's going to test the open market at the very least.  McAfee said in this interview they had yet to have any kind of contract talks so if they get a deal done I don't think it's going to be before the start of free agency but I wouldn't mind being wrong. 

If you believe we have a $20+M QB who will lead an Offense that WILL control the ball at a high level, then you should believe a punter will be of considerably LESS Value.
Teams don`t have that many players making $1M or more. Patty Mac at $3.5m per = 3 additional $1M dollar players and a $500,000 punter.

Or adding that $3M to $xxx to add a TOP position player that could make a Punter even less relevant. 
 The timing is right to use those Millions elsewhere.

I love Pat, but we gotta be realistic there is only so much he can do that could warrant a big payday. Now unless he can prove to be a clutch Kicker like Vinateri and could somehow handle both roles ima ll for giving him a big pay day and letting Vinny walk. (chances of this highly unlikely lol) so to sum it all up i dont see him getting a significant long term deal, and if they cannot come to terms with Vontae Davis on a long term deal, they most certainly will slap him with the tag. So Patty Mac can possibly walk.

he's a kicker, right?

Apparently there has been a deal on the table for quite some time. Irsay wanted Pat to sign the contract when he was a guest on Pat's show and Pat nervously laughed, but did not say anything positive. I think the Colts want to keep Pat more than he wants to stay.

I have been getting the same feeling as you have.  Listen to Bob And Tom on radio most mornings and Pat is frequent guest now in offseason,  there every Tues during the season.   Bob has expressed numerous times they want a petition to keep Pat with the 'Colts,  but Pat never replies to this or makes any indication he desires to stay with the team.

Would love to see him stay , good player, teammate, and active in the community.   Time and money will tell though.

I want to ask a question to everyone, and would appreciate an honest answer...

Is on-field production all you care about when it comes to Colts players and their value? Or do you want to have an affinity with the player, and like their personality and how they carry themselves off the field? And do you believe there is monetary value in having these type of people represent your team?

Personally, on-field production is only 90% of it for me. I love McAfee's show, I love how he can get Colts players in and engage with them only how a teammate could. I enjoy how much he does for Indianapolis and how he prides himself on representing the organization, as well as being very funny. There is more to supporting a franchise than just winning football games to me. I want to get insight into the team and like what I see from a persoanl perspective.

These things matter to me, so if I was to choose between a new punter who is every bit as good as McAfee for 1m, or McAfee for 2m in a long-term contract in a year  when we have cap flexibility, I'm going with McAfee.

May I add, he is a very good punter, and I value the position higher than most.

I want Pat to stay and think it would be worth it to pay him a fair price for a punter. Pat's a good guy, I met him a couple yrs. ago at TC. I'll never forget that my daughter and I went back a few days after we 1st met him and he remembered me and my daughter. I thought that was pretty cool with as many people as these guys meet that he actually remembered us and came up to talk to us a fews days in between first meeting him. Not many athletes or famous people in general would do that. He's a down to earth guy and is a good player. We need to keep him.

Anyone thinking a punter cant make a difference go back and look at the Colts vs Chargers playoff game and what Scifres did to the Colts. That one ranks up there with most frustrating playoff loss IMO

If Pat was that type of punter there wouldn't be much of a debate

If Pat was that type of punter there wouldn't be much of a debate

Cant argue with that, pretty obvious.But I still remember Polian stating special teams really had no bearing on game outcomes because of such a small percentage of those plays during a game. Let me clarify. That's where I was directing my comment towards, those that say punters make no difference at all whether good or bad. McAfee hasn`t came no where close to what Scifres did in that game but he has made some TD saving tackles and is an above average punter IMO. He also can kick FG`s and is pretty good at it which raises his value. 

Cant argue with that, pretty obvious.But I still remember Polian stating special teams really had no bearing on game outcomes because of such a small percentage of those plays during a game. Let me clarify. That's where I was directing my comment towards, those that say punters make no difference at all whether good or bad. McAfee hasn`t came no where close to what Scifres did in that game but he has made some TD saving tackles and is an above average punter IMO. He also can kick FG`s and is pretty good at it which raises his value.

Wow. If Polian said that he is nuts. IMO field position is huge....especially in the playoffs.

I think the Colts organization will let him walk....Unfortunately I think that means were going to waste a pick on a Punter, Ill gladly pay Pat 3 mill per year if we dont throw a pick on a Punter, And no I dont care if its a 7th rounder, Alot of good football players will go undrafted who have a much better chance of making an impact on games consistently then any Punter