Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If the Colts let PattyMac test FA...

Indeee

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody who says McAfee is an average punter doesn't know what they are talking about. You all use terrible stats to back this up.

Fine call him one of the best in the league if you choose... The only significance that matters is he is a "punter" in the NFL.

The reality of the NFL is the position of punter is considered VERY low on the value and relevance scale, aside from the fact that every team has 1.

I am thankful the opinions on the fan forums have no relevance in the business of the NFL while building and maintaining a winning football team, especially with the limitations of the salary cap.

Fine call him one of the best in the league if you choose... The only significance that matters is he is a "punter" in the NFL.

The reality of the NFL is the position of punter is considered VERY low on the value and relevance scale, aside from the fact that every team has 1.

I am thankful the opinions on the fan forums have no relevance in the business of the NFL while building and maintaining a winning football team, especially with the limitations of the salary cap.

You act like he's demanding 10 mil a year

I made no mention of his contract status or even re-signing him. Just that everyone who says he is average is wrong.

Thanks for explaining to me the importance of a punter tho. Before now I always believed they were the most important position on the team. /s

Posted · Hidden by 21isSuperman, March 1, 2014 - insulting
Hidden by 21isSuperman, March 1, 2014 - insulting

I made no mention of his contract status or even re-signing him. Just that everyone who says he is average is wrong.

Thanks for explaining to me the importance of a punter tho. Before now I always believed they were the most important position on the team. /s

No problem... I am happy to help improve your football knowledge any time!

McAfee is a very good punter/holder/kick off man. 

However, being a good punter/holder/kick off man isn't the samething like being a very good QB like a Luck for example.  Which is why they don't get paid as much because you can get a decent to good punter have similar production to one of the best in the league at his position.  You can't say that about other positions like QB, WRs, O-lineman, etc.  So the question becomes is it worth to spend the amount of money it would cost to have one of the better punters in the league when you can get someone who might not be as good for much cheaper but not have much of a drop off in term of production on the field?

Personally I would say yes but what I don't know is how this will impact us for 2015 and 2016.  Clearly Grigson is looking at this off-season with an eye to those off-seasons.  So he might not be in favor of spending the money to keep Pat.  While I want us to keep Pat I would understand if Grigson just doesn't think we can keep him from a money thing.

With that all said I think there is another reason the Colts might not keep Pat.  Listening to McAfee on 1070 the past couple of weeks I get the idea the current Colts management is not a fan of McAfee personally (keep in mind they did not draft him.)  Frankly I think McAfee being so open and honest with the fans that makes the fans love him so much could very well be part of the reason management isn't so high on him, football execs like to keep things in house if they can.  I also understand the fan base loves Pat for the most part but I also think fans love him more for off the field reasons than on the field reasons and I think if Pat was the same level of player as he is now if he didn't have the same connection with the fans off the field that he does the fans wouldn't be so concerned about keeping Pat.  Frankly though you don't get paid a contract from a NFL team for being beloved by your fanbase off the field you get paid for being able to help your team win on the field and if Grigson thinks they can get someone who can give them similar production for much less money that's probably what he's going to do.  That's the cold harsh part about the NFL being a business that people hate so much.