Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano Ranked 21 out 25 Head Coaches

Larry Horseman

The article should just be called, "Coaches I like in order."

Thanks for posting Larry Horseman but, IMO that is not an article it's an opinion piece and quite frankly I don't think that writer's opinion means much.

Not that I think Pags is a Top 10 coach (he's got a lot to learn) but his reasoning and placement of other coaches is ludicrous.

I laughed when I saw Chip Kelly at #6.  Then we got outside the top 10 and the list went from mildly amusing to simply ridiculous.  Rex Ryan at 11, 5 spots higher than Tomlin?  Trestman at 13?  Did he just randomly pull names out of a hat?  Pagano has led a team that was 2-14 the year before he took over to 2 straight 11-5 seasons.  He's certainly not perfect but I'll take a performance like that 10 times out of 10.

Can't say I disagree.

Most don't count the first year since he was kicking cancers butt

So year 2 11-5 & one playoff win but chip Kelly who barely won the worst division in the NFL and was one and done in the playoffs is higher than Chuck Pagano, that's a problem

Edit: And weren't the Eagles awful at home?

I agree that this kid was drinking or playing lotto out of a helmet...like how the John Foxes of the world get slammed to the bottom...and a bad year by Mike Smith...

And Gus Bradley is above both of them...smoke em if ya got em Daugherty.  I see Arians is 8th too....this one is all wacked out.

Horrible list.  Also, did anyone else catch this?

Among the factors considered are:

— Tenure, to an extent, does matter. For all his promise, Gus Bradley can’t yet be considered a top-10 coach.

Then he proceeds to put Chip Kelly in at #6?  Gus Bradley's team has almost 0 talent whereas Kelly has tons of talent and still barely managed to win a horrible NFC East.  I strongly disagree with the list

I laughed when I saw Chip Kelly at #6.  Then we got outside the top 10 and the list went from mildly amusing to simply ridiculous.  Rex Ryan at 11, 5 spots higher than Tomlin?  Trestman at 13?  Did he just randomly pull names out of a hat?  Pagano has led a team that was 2-14 the year before he took over to 2 straight 11-5 seasons.  He's certainly not perfect but I'll take a performance like that 10 times out of 10.

Ariens led that first team and he is a whole let better than Pagano and the coming years will show that.

Didn't see a topic on this and thought it would create some interesting discussion. Here's a link to the article: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46250/57/the-nfls-best-coaches

Note that the 7 new hires were ranked separately from existing HCs. 

I agree with everything said about Pagano in the article, however, I feel like he will eventually get it, hopefully as soon as Week 1 2014.

Obviously he is ranked way too low, but I didn't care about that, just the facts in the article.

pagano went 11-5 without arians. arians interim coaching record has nothing to do with paganos coaching ability

Other than the fact he was coach of the year with the Colts and he probably should have been with the Cardinals this year. Pagano is a very weak coach in my opinion and I think that will start to show. I think the kid had in about right in the ratings.

Nothing to elaborate on. Ariens led that first team to a great record while Pagano was ill. He got the job in Phoenix and he is a far better coach that Pagano. End of story....

He may never make the playoffs in the NFC West, what with the Seahawks, Niners in the division. Between that and the Rams having every pick in this year's draft I'm not sure Arians will be in Phoenix long. Maybe we can get him back as oc?

Other than the fact he was coach of the year with the Colts and he probably should have been with the Cardinals this year. Pagano is a very weak coach in my opinion and I think that will start to show. I think the kid had in about right in the ratings.

so what does arians being coach of the year have to do withh pagano? oh yeah, it doesnt at all.

pagano 11-5 won a playoff game

arians 11-5 one and done in playoffs

so what does arians being coach of the year have to do withh pagano? oh yeah, it doesnt at all.

pagano 11-5 won a playoff game

arians 11-5 one and done in playoffs

Actually, it was Pagano who went one and done with Arian's team. No, it doesn't have anything to with Pagano but neither does their 11-5 record that year. I don't think Pagano will be the Colts coach for very long. One season under .500 and he will be gone.

Actually, it was Pagano who went one and done with Arian's team. No, it doesn't have anything to with Pagano but neither does their 11-5 record that year. I don't think Pagano will be the Colts coach for very long. One season under .500 and he will be gone.

Oh yeah paganos 11-5records mean nothing... It's not like he took the team thru otas, training camp, preseason etc

I guess I'm willing to take a bad coach if he gets me to the playoffs every single year he's been here but you're more interested in more important team agendas like losing games and not going to the playoffs during the supposdsed rebuilding era

So you're saying paganos 11-5 record has NOTHING to do with Him..THIS year

The Colts play a lot better when no one gives them a chance and picks them as an underdog.

You're off the radar, you can really blow them away now. I wouldn't worry about this so much. Before 2009, no one took Sean Payton seriously either.

Good teams like this thrive when they are under heavy doubts with no one picking them as favorites.

Oh yeah paganos 11-5records mean nothing... It's not like he took the team thru otas, training camp, preseason etc

I guess I'm willing to take a bad coach if he gets me to the playoffs every single year he's been here but you're more interested in more important team agendas like losing games and not going to the playoffs during the supposdsed rebuilding era

So you're saying paganos 11-5 record has NOTHING to do with Him..THIS year

Yes, that is what I am saying. We will see how the people like him when the team slips a bit. He is demanding a power running team in an age of air superiority. That will all catch up with him about the time Luck gets the big bucks and he can't sign free agents any more.

Yes, that is what I am saying. We will see how the people like him when the team slips a bit. He is demanding a power running team in an age of air superiority. That will all catch up with him about the time Luck gets the big bucks and he can't sign free agents any more.

Again

Fail

In paganos first year Andrew luck set the record for most rookie yards passing, when pagano was still there luck was chucking the ball 50 times a game

You know why?

Arians called the plays. Guess what Arians likes a vertical downfield passing game in his offense

The next year pagano had pep, and we ran the ball a lot

You know why?

Pep called the plays and HE likes the power running game

Things you should take away from this: pagano is the hc, oc call the offensive plays, pagano doesn't have as much of a problem as you guys make him out to be with a vertical passing game because he let Arians pass every play!

This year was in a way Paganos official rookie year although he did have some experience from last year.  I think he learned a lot from this season and will continue to make strides as a head coach going forward.  He hasn't been at it long enough for me to say he's not a good coach.  I actually don't have a bad opinion of Chuck at this point, it's still kind of forming.   What I do like about him is the players seem to exert maximum effort for him at all times and they remain composed even when things are not going well, they really believe in what he teaches.  That's an aspect of coaching that will take your team far.  What I didn't like was some of the game management on the offensive side of the ball, but it seems he and the Colts are willing to add more knowledge to the staff to help in this area with the signing of Chud.  Also I think things will be better with Pep being in his second year.

We'll see what happens, but all in all I don't think Pagano is a bad coach.

Pure unadulterated nonsense! Im being as kind as possible about this. Not sure how anybody could take anything from this unless they are as ridiculous as this so called article is.

The kid looked like a choir boy instead of a football player/expert....then again I am not sure what John Clayton looks like???  Person of Interest maybe?

clayton_john_bio.jpg

personofinterest_daddy.jpg

You do realize Seattle and SF, the two best teams in the NFL, were ranked 26 and 30th in passing in the NFL.  Indy was 17th.   Just saying....   air superiority?   heeheee

Put a great D on the field and good things will happen.     And Chucks "philosophy" is on par with Jim and Jon H, BB, and Carrol.    Seems to me he is on the right track.

I just wish he was not so conservative.     But he is a young "head coach" ..  give him a chance for crying out loud.

Nothing to elaborate on. Ariens led that first team to a great record while Pagano was ill. He got the job in Phoenix and he is a far better coach that Pagano. End of story....

:Nuke:         Cancer is a terrible illness  BUT " Chuck Paganos "  staff rallied the troops & Chuckstrong became the battle cry that sustained & motivated the entire Colts Organization behind rookie QB Andrew Luck  who made B.A look good while holding onto the ball way to long .

11-5    & the playoffs 2 years running   is the sign of a great team that is no accident , It was with & without B.A .

That really is the end of the story .

I don't think Chuck is any more conservative than Dungy was.  The difference was when Dungy came in it was clear that the offense was the strength of the team and it wasn't hard to be confident in that group.  In Paganos case our offense is still evolving and we are learning what it is we do best even with Andrew Luck.  I think we'll be more on the attack in this second season.  

Arian's team? Arian is a very good coach but it was Grigson and Pagano's team that Arians worked with. Arians coached players that were drafted by Grigson with Pagano as head coach. Pagano did win one playoff game while it was Arians who went one and done in the playoffs.