Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which higher priced FA do you want?

Which higher priced FA would you want?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. If the Colts only signed 1 higher priced FA, who would you want?

• FS Jarius Byrd (Approx 10 mil per year)
    • C Alex Mack (Approx 9 mil per year)
    • OLB Brian Orakpo (Approx 10 mil per year)
    • ILB Donald Butler (Approx 6 mil per year)
    • S TJ Ward (Approx 7 mil per year)
    • CB Alterraun Verner Approx 8 mil per year)
    • WR Eric Decker (Approx 8 mil per year)
    • Focus on resigning own, bring in some lower tier FAs

If I could only choose one, it would be Donald Butler. Then I would go after one of the other centers not named Mack. We need a true 3-4 ILBer and if we could get him for a decent price, then we could fill our other needs and upgrades with mid level free agents and be much better off. I can't wrap my mind around paying a center 9 mil. per yr.. That is just insanity in it's truest form IMO.

We need Alex Mack to fix a gaping hole at Center. Though we have Khaled Holmes, he's iffy at best for a starter right now and we can get some money to sign Mack by releasing Satele. Also, I think Mack will be 7-8 million instead of 9 million. My second choice was donald Butler, but there are a few ILB's that we can sign like Christian Jones in the draft to be solid players for cheap. 

i honestly don't see why people on here have donald butler rated so high. Perry Riley put up similar numbers to Jerrell Freeman. not to mention the fact that by playing for the redskins he has played against the nfc east for 4 years so he knows how those teams operate. 4 of our 16 games are against the nfc east next season.

my vote would be Perry Riley 4-5 million per year.

Absolutely. Just cut Walden and put what we save from him and put it towards Orakpo.

Walden isnt going anywhere this year.  Per spotrac his 2014 cap hit is 4.25 million and if he is cut the hit is 4.75 million.  Now if Im understanding the rule right he would still cost 4.25 million if cut after June 1st.  With those numbers we dont save any money so there is no really reason to cut him.  The dead money hit after this coming year would be 500k which makes it more likely to happen then.

Walden isnt going anywhere this year.  Per spotrac his 2014 cap hit is 4.25 million and if he is cut the hit is 4.75 million.  Now if Im understanding the rule right he would still cost 4.25 million if cut after June 1st.  With those numbers we dont save any money so there is no really reason to cut him.  The dead money hit after this coming year would be 500k which makes it more likely to happen then.

Ahh that is correct.

I would rather have Donald Butler because he's the only good young ILB in FA. Mack is the best player on the list but there's two other centers De La Puente and Smith, one of them we can get along with Butler.  

I'm with you here.  But speaking of that, any idea how much De La Puente or Smith would cost?

Everyone is pretty much agreed they would be an improvement over Satele and would cost less then Mack.  But how much would they cost?

I'll second the call for Paul Soliai.  A difference making NT would be huge for the defense.  No pun intended.  I'm all for De La Puente too.  Grigson would look like a genius if he plugged up the middle of both lines.  After the DL and C, I agree with many we need a third guard to compete with Thomas and Thornton.  How about the other guy from Cleveland, Shane Lauovo?.  He got some respect out of Lindys for being a top 15 RG.  He is way under the radar and could be a real bargain.  He is known as a huge masher.  De La Puente, Luauovo, and Thomas might finally give us some horses inside.  I know we need CB, S, Ilb, and perhaps a WR to compete with Rogers, but the inside of both lines has to be a priority.   Don't waste money on the little guys. :)

Redding  Soliai  Urban

Draft DE Brent Urban in the third to compete with Francois.  We could make huge strides this year for a fairly reasonable price tag.

I'll second the call for Paul Soliai.  A difference making NT would be huge for the defense.  No pun intended.  I'm all for De La Puente too.  Grigson would look like a genius if he plugged up the middle of both lines.  After the DL and C, I agree with many we need a third guard to compete with Thomas and Thornton.  How about the other guy from Cleveland, Shane Lauovo?.  He got some respect out of Lindys for being a top 15 RG.  He is way under the radar and could be a real bargain.  He is known as a huge masher.  De La Puente, Luauovo, and Thomas might finally give us some horses inside.  I know we need CB, S, Ilb, and perhaps a WR to compete with Rogers, but the inside of both lines has to be a priority.   Don't waste money on the little guys. :)

Redding  Soliai  Urban

Draft DE Brent Urban in the third to compete with Francois.  We could make huge strides this year for a fairly reasonable price tag.

I'm very confident in saying that Chapman and RJF will be starters going into next year.  Redding may or may not be just depending on who is brought in and how his body continues to hold up.  

If we bring in another NT then I think it will be a backup to develop behind Chapman and I really don't think they'll give up on RJF after only one year as a full time starter in this system...especially considering he played pretty well once he got more comfortable in this hybrid defense.

i honestly don't see why people on here have donald butler rated so high. Perry Riley put up similar numbers to Jerrell Freeman. not to mention the fact that by playing for the redskins he has played against the nfc east for 4 years so he knows how those teams operate. 4 of our 16 games are against the nfc east next season.

my vote would be Perry Riley 4-5 million per year.

Perry Riley would be a good option. He is very underrated so he would come at reasonable price.

I am all for De La Puente, I love free agency and love getting new players, but we must watch who we get and what we spend because in another year or two, Andrew Luck, T.Y. Hilton, Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener, Vick Ballard are all FA's. We need Those players. so Mr. Grigson, bring in some good FA's but have some money to give our guys contracts!

I am all for De La Puente, I love free agency and love getting new players, but we must watch who we get and what we spend because in another year or two, Andrew Luck, T.Y. Hilton, Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener, Vick Ballard are all FA's. We need Those players. so Mr. Grigson, bring in some good FA's but have some money to give our guys contracts!

We are eventually going to have to let certain starters walk along the way as money gets tighter and rely on our scouts to find good talent along with signing the ocassional top FA talents(this part would be rare, cant field a team full of top talent at every position and sustain it, Have to build through the draft and coaching to), Thats where Polian screwed the pooch on that, He kept to many average players around that can be replaced (Vick Ballard for example....I like him and I want to keep him as long as possible but still rb's are a dime a dozen)