Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Indianapolis Colts And Defense

SteelDragon

13 years of mostly Charmin softness under Bill Polian,

2 -Years- long train wreck under Grigson, so far.  A few solid games, but way to many games giving up 40+ points.

Why hasn't it happened in Indy?  

The defense should have been better this year.  The money is spread out on both sides of the ball.
I would estimate we're still at least 2 years away from building the monster on defense.  We have only one player under contract(Freeman) who is a long term cornerstone.  Davis could be, but it unsigned.  Werner? Unknown quantity.  Chapman? I don't know, could be average.

Most would have us think that our defense has improved, but it really hasn't. 

Especially after seeing the contrast in all these playoff games. 

Yeah, when you see the talent and playmaking by the Ds on these playoff teams, ours looks pathetic....we have one MONSTER, Robert Mathis...and Freeman is pretty good.

There is still no D in Inianapolis.

Our defense improved slightly from last years. We need 3 elite proven players to help next season. OLB who can cover and pass rusher. Above or at 6'4" with long arms. ILB to pair with Freeman and corner. Safety can be addressed in draft because we're not getting Byrd, but who knows

Our defense improved slightly from last years. We need 3 elite proven players to help next season. OLB who can cover and pass rusher. Above or at 6'4" with long arms. ILB to pair with Freeman and corner. Safety can be addressed in draft because we're not getting Byrd, but who knows

3 elite proven players does not guarantee anything though. Now if they come in and play at a high level and can stay healthy then it certianly can make a difference. But we dont always wanna have to rely on them having to be solid or great to be a solid defense.Ultimately it needs to be the entire defense stepping up and playing disciplined,smart, assignment football with a high energy for every single snap. Not this on and and off junk we saw this season. Show up one game and be asleep on the field the next. That's what half of our problem is I think, its consistency in how we play. But we do have holes as well. Hopefully adjustments and improvements are made.

2 -Years- long train wreck under Grigson, so far.  A few solid games, but way to many games giving up 40+ points.

The defense should have been better this year.  The money is spread out on both sides of the ball.

I would estimate we're still at least 2 years away from building the monster on defense.  We have only one player under contract(Freeman) who is a long term cornerstone.  Davis could be, but it unsigned.  Werner? Unknown quantity.  Chapman? I don't know, could be average.

Oh.    For.    Goodness.   Sake.     

Where.    Does.    This.    Stuff.    Come.    From?!?      

Please.    Make.    It.    Stop.           :facepalm:

You want to know why the Colts don't have a Super Bowl quality defense after two years from 2-14?!?

And last year,  they played with an $80 million payroll while most everyone else was closer to $120m.

It just doesn't happen that fast,  just because you want it to........

I'm not sure why this is a hard concept for some here.....  but it is.....        :facepalm:

You want to know why the Colts don't have a Super Bowl quality defense after two years from 2-14?!?

And last year,  they played with an $80 million payroll while most everyone else was closer to $120m.

I'm not sure why this is a hard concept for some here.....  but it is.....        :facepalm:

Please explain what a train wreck defense is. Apparently some fans have no clue. :D

Our D held it's own in KC and against NE, offense just couldn't capitalize. KC got what 21 points off turnovers? That's 2/3rds of their total score. NE our run D was lacking. Yet despite that we were still only down 7 with Luck throwing 3 picks before Blount's 73 yarder.. If Luck doesn't throw those picks we are likely either tied up or in the lead and in a totally different ball game.

Please explain what a train wreck defense is. Apparently some fans have no clue. :D

Read a great Colts stat in the last two days or so....

The Colts are the ONLY TEAM IN THE ENTIRE NFL to have not lost back-to-back games the last two years, '12 and '13.

When we lose,  we win the next week.

You know how many teams would love to have a train wreck season like we've had the last two years?   

Oh, I'd guess that number is in the high 20's!!

And yet,  there are posters here who are just............ not..........  happy.        :facepalm:

Biggest problem is the inconsistency...The draft should be dedicated to drafting playmakers and true pass rushers for this defense. We need a stronger defensive front. After a single season, I am also disappointed in Werner and believe he may be better suited for a different system. A first round draft pick? The guy has not produced and we need people who fit the system...Cut Angerer and cut Bethea. Bethea is a good football player and has served us well. I don't like him in coverage, however, and that is where he's needed the most. I think we have a fine unit of linebackers, but need more help upfront. We desperately need to create more pressure on the quarterback and a game changer (or two, or three!) on the interior defensive line...The draft is where we will find these people, not from other team's unwanted garbage...

Imagine. that.

Criticism. on. a fan. forum.

Please. make. the. homers. stop. whining, about. someone. else. whining.

Last year's cheaply-built defense was probably statistically on par with this year's more expensive version.  More money, same results.  Moreover, it's been a problem for quite a long time for the shoe.  There's a reason we have a reputation for being soft.  There's a reason why running backs around the league feel they SHOULD get one hundred yards against the Colts.  There's a reason why LaGarrett Blount just made us look stupid.  But this isn't anything new... Why have we been so snake-bitten when it comes to defense?

I want an improved defense next year. With the money spent, it should have happened this year. No one said anything about a Superbowl caliber defense, just positive steps in the right direction.  A RELIABLE defense.

I'm not sure why this is a hard concept for some here.....  but.....pssst we should have seen a better defense in 2013.....   :facepalm:

Imagine. that.

Criticism. on. a fan. forum.

Please. make. the. homers. stop. whining, about. someone. else. whining.

Last year's cheaply-built defense was probably statistically on par with this year's more expensive version.  More money, same results.  Moreover, it's been a problem for quite a long time for the shoe.  There's a reason we have a reputation for being soft.  There's a reason why running backs around the league feel they SHOULD get one hundred yards against the Colts.  There's a reason why LaGarrett Blount just made us look stupid.  But this isn't anything new... Why have we been so snake-bitten when it comes to defense?

I want an improved defense next year. With the money spent, it should have happened this year. No one said anything about a Superbowl caliber defense, just positive steps in the right direction.  A RELIABLE defense.

I'm not sure why this is a hard concept for some here.....  but.....pssst we should have seen a better defense in 2013.....   :facepalm:

I wouldn't care if the Colts have had a bad defense for the last 100 years!

This is a new administration.    This is not the old administration that didn't pay enough attention to defense.

And the new administration was (A) hamstrung by no money in 2012,  and now (B) has only had 1 real year to spend money to build a defense.     A Super Bowl caliber defense does not get built that fast.

Look at the all the talent on the final-4 teams.   They didn't get built in a year or two.   They've been at it for a long time.

Grigson/Pagano just took over.     If you had bother to listen to Grigson and Pagano in their post season interviews,  they know this defense needs more.   They said so.

But, you're a young impatient fan.    You're not alone here.   We have lots of young impatient fans.

The arguments you make are fan arguments.    They make you feel good.    They're not based in logic or reason.   They'd be laughed at by people who understand football.   I'm talking about professionals.

And I'll give you a tip.......  a year from now...   we may still not have a Super Bowl caliber defense.    It takes longer than most here realize.

Disagree all you want.    But that's the reality of the NFL.

The Colts are the ONLY TEAM IN THE ENTIRE NFL to have not lost back-to-back games the last two years, '12 and '13.

You know how many teams would love to have a train wreck season like we've had the last two years?   

And yet,  there are posters here who are just............ not..........  happy.        :facepalm:

Who said anything about a train-wreck season? 

You do realize it's okay to criticize your favorite team?  It doesn't mean one is unhappy?

It's football, not religion.  Lighten up, Francis.

This is a new administration.    This is not the old administration that didn't pay enough attention to defense.

And the new administration was (A) hamstrung by no money in 2012,  and now (B) has only had 1 real year to spend money to build a defense.     A Super Bowl caliber defense does not get built that fast.

Look at the all the talent on the final-4 teams.   They didn't get built in a year or two.   They've been at it for a long time.

Grigson/Pagano just took over.     If you had bother to listen to Grigson and Pagano in their post season interviews,  they know this defense needs more.   They said so.

But, you're a young impatient fan.    You're not alone here.   We have lots of young impatient fans.

The arguments you make are fan arguments.    They make you feel good.    They're not based in logic or reason.   They'd be laughed at by people who understand football.   I'm talking about professionals.

And I'll give you a tip.......  a year from now...   we may still not have a Super Bowl caliber defense.    It takes longer than most here realize.

NewColtsfan, are you Greg Manusky? 

Also, Greg, can you stop putting words in my mouth?  I never said anything about a 'super bowl caliber' defense or a train-wreck season.  Now that I realize I'm talking to a professional, I'll try to be more politically correct for you and others who may be sensitive about the abysmal performance of our beloved Colts defense. 

From now on, it should be considered heresy for a fan on this forum to say anything with the perception of negativity!  

First,  I'm not a moderator, so you don't have to pay attention to anything I say.   Plenty of people here don't.

Personally, I don't mind if you or any fan is not happy about something....   or posts something negative....   Say what you want.

But that also means when you post some mindless drivel as you did to start this thread,  I get to respond as I did.    That what you said was and is..... Nonsense.

That you're just an unhappy fan who doesn't get how hard it is to build a team.   It's not fast enough for you.   It's not good enough for you.    And no amount of explaining is going to make you say....    "Oh, I get it now...."

Nope.    

Something is wrong in your mind and you want answers!   And you want them now!  

Hey.....  have fun.....    I don't want to do anything to lesson your enjoyment of this website.    It's hear for all of us.  

Have a great time!       

Your friend,

Greg Manusky       :thmup:

The defense was bad with Polian and the two years with Grigson because they haven't drafted well in the trenches. RJF, Redding aren't the answers at DE both are backups at this point. This team needs a Muhammed Wilkerson type DE. A guy that is big, physical, can pass rush and stop the run. Chapman is still young so he could develop into a starter but Grigson really needs to strike gold in this draft on the defensive side if he wants a top 10 defense. We also need a ILB and CB but if you don't have any good defensive lineman, your defense will never be good.

First,  I'm not a moderator, so you don't have to pay attention to anything I say.   Plenty of people here don't.

Personally, I don't mind if you or any fan is not happy about something....   or posts something negative....   Say what you want.

But that also means when you post some mindless drivel as you did to start this thread,  I get to respond as I did.    That what you said was and is..... Nonsense.

That you're just an unhappy fan who doesn't get how hard it is to build a team.   It's not fast enough for you.   It's not good enough for you.    And no amount of explaining is going to make you say....    "Oh, I get it now...."

Nope.    

Something is wrong in your mind and you want answers!   And you want them now!  

Hey.....  have fun.....    I don't want to do anything to lesson your enjoyment of this website.    It's hear for all of us.  

Have a great time!       

Your friend,

Greg Manusky       :thmup:

haha, I'm just having fun.  It's all good.

We do need guys because of age, but our defense isn't all that bad. We look bad because of the offense turning the ball over, giving opponents short fields. Just look at the games we've lost. Turnovers kill our team, not the defense.

A defense can be turned around in just a few years.  The team has to have some luck, strong leadership, knowledge and the commitment to make that change.

In 2010 Seattle had the 25th defense..in 2012 the #1

Carolina was 27th in 2011 and by 2013 they were #2 behind Seattle.

Carolina was in the exact same place we were (#1draft pick) but just 1 year ahead of us in the rebuild process.

A defense can be turned around in just a few years.  The team has to have some luck, strong leadership, knowledge and the commitment to make that change.

In 2010 Seattle had the 25th defense..in 2012 the #1

Carolina was 27th in 2011 and by 2013 they were #2 behind Seattle.

Carolina was in the exact same place we were (#1draft pick) but just 1 year ahead of us in the rebuild process.

Sure....

But a lot depends on what was already there.   Sometimes there are great pieces already in place...

Such is the case in San Francisco....  

Seattle had pieces there....     so did Carolina...

Indianapolis?    Not so much.     We're practically starting from scratch.

Besides,  this defense, what ever it was....   was good enough to help win 12 games.

Including wins over SF, Seattle, Denver and KC....   that's not insignificant...

But it needs more...   IMO, a lot more.

Ep.                    Ic.                                               LOL  Hey don't start bringing facts into this debate LOL

Well I often say that when the Mayflower trucks unloaded in Indy, they forgot to unpack the defense. Teams tend to adopt the persona of the cities they play in particularly on defense.  There were some pretty stout hard-nosed defenses when the Colts played in Baltimore.  However, since coming to Indy...good defensive Colts team have been few and far between.  The best in Indy were 95 and 2005 in my opinion.  Rarely they have been good but never just down right nasty.  Most years they are as soft as marshmellows over an open flame. 

Indy is a town that prides itself on being "classy" fans who welcome opposing fans into their stadium with open arms.  Indy fans operate like robots...quiet on offense...try to get loud on defensive third downs and then quiet again after the other team converts for the first down waiting to get loud again at the next third down. Yet they get upset when their team plays the same way. 

Good defense starts with a hard nosed attitude which emanates from the city, its fans and is reflected in the team that reps that. You see how the fans in Pittsburgh, Philly, Baltimore, Chicago are.  They could care less about being "classy" to opposing fans...they are just rabidly behind their team all game long.   These are typically blue collar fans and their teams usually have rugged defenses.   I know it sounds crazy but the attitude of the city often plays a large part because the team that plays there eventually adapts to it.   So swag up Indy fans. Insert more of that Nap Town 'tude into the Indy home games...less wine and cheese...please.  I am not advocating for outright violence.  Just saying that instead of high-fiving that Chiefs fan talking smack..leave him hanging and try talking some smack back.  Never be disrespected in your own house...I don't care who the guests are.  Maybe the defense will adapt and we can start seeing some hard nosed defensive attitude in Indy for once. 

This team is not loaded with talent on the defensive side of the ball. That being said, I don't think our coaches are putting said players in the best position to succeed. Our D-line can't generate pressure consistently on it's own, so we need to have exotic, timely blitzes to manufacture that pressure. We can't expect to play man coverage consistently without being able to pressure the QB. That is a coaching issue. Either scheme better for your system or adjust your system accordingly. Too many times we've seen Manusky roll out the same gameplan, regardless of the opponent. And too many times, we've seen Pagano just stand there and let Greg continue with said gameplan when it's not working, even though Pagano himself is supposedly a defensive guru.

One thing I respect about Hoodie, even though I hate the Patriots, is that he is probably the ultimate X's and O's coach. When Manning was torching them yesterday, you at least saw Hoodie on the sideline talking to Patricia about their defensive strategy and tried to adjust accordingly. I haven't seen much of that from Chuck yet. Hopefully it's just because he's a new head coach and is still figuring it out. At any rate, our current scheme is too predictable and we don't have the pieces to run it adaquetely at the moment

The Colts defense is not nearly as far off as many are making it out to be and they certainly weren't as horrible in 2013 as many are making it out to be.  Here's what the defense needs to be good...health in the secondary, an upgrade at ILB and some help from the offense.  That is what our defense had in the first 5 or 6 games up until the Denver game and during that stretch the defense looked much improved over last year.  

In FA last year, Grigson brought in mostly role players and solid starters for the defense.  Toler and Landry would be the 2 that had more immediate playmaking ability but injuries hampered both of their seasons.  Walden proved to be a very solid starter at SAM OLB, RJF showed solid starter potential with some flashes of playmaking ability despite what a select few keep saying about him.  Franklin was a stop-gap until Chapman was ready to take over full time, which I expect to happen next year.  

This year, with the majority of starter positions filled, he can spend a little extra money on a couple of playmakers to add to the defense.  Preferably that will include an upgrade at ILB, a pass rusher and whatever it takes to try to ensure consistency at the #2 CB position.  

I think the issue is with the LBs and safeties more than the DL itself. The DL could use some improvements but the LBs and safeties need more improvement.

The DL, against the run, is designed to get stalemates so that the OL does not get to the next level. But then, the LBs and safeties need to hit the gaps and make plays/finish plays. That is not happening vs elite teams.

Despite winning the Seahawks game, the Seahawks, Chargers and the Patriots playoff games showed us that the LBs do not finish. Walden is a high floor moderate ceiling guy, so we cannot expect great things from him on the pass rush but he sets the edge more often than not. But our LBs are so hit and miss, so are our safeties.  That truly is where our weakness lies, IMO.

Huh! We must play in the AFC South.