Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Indianapolis Colts And Defense

SteelDragon

Our defense improved slightly from last years. We need 3 elite proven players to help next season. OLB who can cover and pass rusher. Above or at 6'4" with long arms. ILB to pair with Freeman and corner. Safety can be addressed in draft because we're not getting Byrd, but who knows

I think they were hoping Sidbury wsa that guy. I agree with all this accept I think we need a DE who is tough against the run & can rush too. I think that is more important than a safety or CB The biggest need IMO is a Large ILB who is a real hitter!!

I think the issue is with the LBs and safeties more than the DL itself. The DL could use some improvements but the LBs and safeties need more improvement.

The DL, against the run, is designed to get stalemates so that the OL does not get to the next level. But then, the LBs and safeties need to hit the gaps and make plays/finish plays. That is not happening vs elite teams.

Despite winning the Seahawks game, the Seahawks, Chargers and the Patriots playoff games showed us that the LBs do not finish. Walden is a high floor moderate ceiling guy, so we cannot expect great things from him on the pass rush but he sets the edge more often than not. But our LBs are so hit and miss, so are our safeties.  That truly is where our weakness lies, IMO.

Our Dl was manhandled against NE We need an ILB badly to go with Freeman, the safeties are not perfect but our safeties CONSISTENTLY lead the team week in an week out every game in tackles other than Freeman sometimes!That's got to change. As far as Walden I thought he rushed the passer better than he was suppose to and set the edge worse than he was suppose to. RGF IMO is not that good against the run more of a swing man like he was for SF.

"The Indianapolis Colts And Defense"....so far these are mutually exclusive terms.

A defense needs to be a co-ordinated unit....not just Mathis and Freeman doing what they are supposed to do and 9 other guys running around and reacting late to plays.

Without those 9 other guys doing what they're supposed to do, Mathis doesn't sniff 19.5 sacks. ;)