Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donald Brown Tweet

lollygagger8

"RBs are a dime a dozen in this league" "You can draft a good RB in any round".  Not that I'm a fan of these statements, but they've been used ad nauseam on this forum in any thread involving Richardson.  So surely it can apply to DB too right? 

DB had played really good this year when we've needed him the most.  If he does move on we will get to test this statement with whoever else gets brought in.

This year has proven one thing, you can never have enough good backs on the team or waiting in the wings, because they were dropping like flies this season.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I truly think people will end up seeing this as a big mistake in the long run.

Well at least it won't be an obvious mistake. What we have in Donald Brown is a guy that can sometimes get a good enough block to break off a big run, but has less rushing yards than Russel Wilson and can't block to save his life. Richardson and Ballard is not a bad combo. We don't need him.

Would like to see him resigned and come back,  but sure he is going to test the waters to see what kind of money he will get.  He was 3rd on depth chart till Ballard went down, then Bradshaw goes down, (  problem with running backs with last name starting with B?).  Now you have the Colts locked into Richardson and Ballard coming back,  does he really want to be a number 3 back if he has better options?  I wish him all the luck for him and his family and hope it works out that he is back with the Colts somehow.  They could franchise tag him as a safety net to keep him around in case the others don't improve,  but very rare that a running back gets a tag.

Franchise tag??  While I like D.B. very much you really think he is worth a contract that averages the top 5 RBs in the NFL??  Sorry, that was a far fetched idea.

We need to re-sign DB. Vic off injury, Bradshaw off injury and a FA and Trent is Trent. The only guy that produced all year was DB. Heck Choice even looked better then Trent. Like it or not DB fits this offense that we ran the last half of the year and he is the only big play RB we had. Vic nor Trent will break off a 60 yd run or catch. But stubborn will be stubborn, and maybe they think we can win with Trent and his 2.5 ypc and a pile of bodies. Me thinks not, but I'm just a dum farmer.

"RBs are a dime a dozen in this league" "You can draft a good RB in any round".  Not that I'm a fan of these statements, but they've been used ad nauseam on this forum in any thread involving Richardson.  So surely it can apply to DB too right? 

DB had played really good this year when we've needed him the most.  If he does move on we will get to test this statement with whoever else gets brought in.

This year has proven one thing, you can never have enough good backs on the team or waiting in the wings, because they were dropping like flies this season.

Yeah, it's pretty much like sayin' all RBs are good.

I guess it comes from many examples of RBs taken late, or as UDFAs, and making it.

Though you can find example at other positions, as well.

Though perhaps it's more frequent with RBs(?).

We need to re-sign DB. Vic off injury, Bradshaw off injury and a FA and Trent is Trent. The only guy that produced all year was DB. Heck Choice even looked better then Trent. Like it or not DB fits this offense that we ran the last half of the year and he is the only big play RB we had. Vic nor Trent will break off a 60 yd run or catch. But stubborn will be stubborn, and maybe they think we can win with Trent and his 2.5 ypc and a pile of bodies. Me thinks not, but I'm just a dum farmer.

In what world did Choice look better then Trent?

I know people dislike the guy, but come on.

Stick to farming

TRich will be the man next year no matter what. And it has nothing to do with the size of the holes that are made for DB. it is all about the scheme of the runs. Man Schemes are just, run to this spot, the hole will be there, if not either kick outside or push through.

ZBS the run is aimed at a "Zone" of the OL or to an area, It is built more for patience thus why you see Trent stutter step alot, waiting for a hole to open up and him to be able to cut to it and go. We saw a few times this year that Trent can cut back on a dime, if we put a ZBS in place and get him more in his comfort zone, I have no doubt he will flourish.

but will the colts use a zbs? what you are saying sounds logical to me, but what system will the colts use on the o-line?

Brown ended up leading the Colts in rushing. The former first-round pick showed flashes but he had a difficult time being consistent. 

"Yeah, this past season was almost like an interviewing process and now you're just waiting to see what job offers you get," Browns said. "Then just take the one that makes the most sense for myself and my family." 

He is simply setting him self up for the $$$.     

I think Indy HAS to keep him, with the uncertainty of TRich and VB.

IMO, Indy brings back Davis,  Brown, Bethea, and Vinny.   Make these guys fair offers and I think they are all coming back.   Get blown out of the ball park by another team and this would be a set back.

In FA I want Indy to concentrate on WR (Jones, Decker) and OG.

Draft DL/LB  PERIOD.       Maybe one S?

This team's D is really good when they rush the passer, they are really bad when they don't.....

My personal fav for the "first" pick in the second round would be Wisky ILB Borland.     STUD.

He and Freeman would look really good together.

I agree. From what I've seen of Choice when he plays for us, he gains about 4-6 yards while Trent goes for 0-2

Oh those plays when the game was already decided? Those are the plays he looks good? Interesting.

Hopelly you never stumble onto the fact that Trent has 66 less rushing yards in two seasons, then Choice does his entire career.

Donald has to at least test free agency to see if he can get good money to be the primary back for some team (like Cleveland, for example) .   I don't think the Colts can commit that kind of money to him to be part of a 3 back rotation with Vick and Trent.  Too bad, I would like to see him stay.

If the bigger offer isn't there in FA maybe he'll come back.

Oh those plays when the game was already decided? Those are the plays he looks good? Interesting.

Hopelly you never stumble onto the fact that Trent has 66 less rushing yards in two seasons, then Choice does his entire career.

Look hey you must have been one of the guys hailing the trade for Richardson as the 2nd coming of Christ when it happened. Didn't like it when we did it & Richardson has done NOTHING to sway me and most who thought it looked good in the beginning certainly now have doubts no. The fact is we are STUCK with the guy for now. I will support him next season but if his play continues to be the same that would suck he would be  a bust & eventual could cost Grigson his job. I don't care about the yards the bottom line is when given a chance Choice looked better than Richardson. Richardson NEVER looked good!

What's with the hate? Plug Richardson into the same situation that Choice is in, and he won't be getting 4-6 yards. Besides, that's the only time he plays, at the end of a game.

Look hey you must have been one of the guys hailing the trade for Richardson as the 2nd coming of Christ when it happened. Didn't like it when we did it & Richardson has done NOTHING to sway me and most who thought it looked good in the beginning certainly now have doubts no. The fact is we are STUCK with the guy for now. I will support him next season but if his play continues to be the same that would suck he would be a bust & eventual could cost Grigson his job. I don't care about the yards the bottom line is when given a chance Choice looked better than Richardson. Richardson NEVER looked good!

So weird that you wouldn't care about their actual stats. I'm sure that has nothing to with the fact that they don't help your argument.

There's is literally nothing to support Choice looking better, other than your assessment of "burst."

And no. I'm not a Trent fan boy, but I do exist in the reality where there is no chance Choice played better.

What's with the hate? Plug Richardson into the same situation that Choice is in, and he won't be getting 4-6 yards. Besides, that's the only time he plays, at the end of a game.

Hate? What hate?

There's a reason he only played at the ends of games. And that's because he's not a viable option for us on offense.

It's not a glowing endorsement when he only comes in late, and only produces when games are over.

So weird that you wouldn't care about their actual stats. I'm sure that has nothing to with the fact that they don't help your argument.

There's is literally nothing to support Choice looking better, other than your assessment of "burst."

And no. I'm not a Trent fan boy, but I do exist in the reality where there is no chance Choice played better.

If your defending Trent you are a Trent boy Didn't say Richardson was less talented ON PAPER than Choice he isn't but the fact remains in REAL REALITY that Richardson sucked & Choice when given time he doesn't get to chose when he plays, played well THOSE ARE FACTS. Trent had 1 maybe 2 FAIR GAMES for him & every other game he STUNK. :rant: THAT REAL REALITY!!!

If your defending Trent you are a Trent boy Didn't say Richardson was less talented ON PAPER than Choice he isn't but the fact remains in REAL REALITY that Richardson sucked & Choice when given time he doesn't get to chose when he plays, played well THOSE ARE FACTS. Trent had 1 maybe 2 FAIR GAMES for him & every other game he STUNK. :rant: THAT REAL REALITY!!!

lmao

This board makes me question my sanity when I read posts like this. "IF YOU DON'T BASH TRENT YOU'RE HIS FANBOI!!!!!!!"

Come back with any kind of statistical measurement. You know. TDs. Recieving yards. Rushing yards.

Giving Choice the nod on the basis of 11 carries couldn't possibly be more ignorant.

You say one or 2 fair games, well that would still be one or 2 more than Choice so cased closed based on your own logic. Don't you love it when things are simple?

We don't need him. 

Right, we have Trent Richardson, he was great this year. The trade was well worth it. He can carry the load. He really came in and took over. I'm being sarcastic of course. If Vick Ballard comes back 100% then I agree we don't really need Donald. I really liked what Donald did this year tho. He stepped it up and had a good year and we would have won 11 games and a playoff game if he wasn't here. He did a great job and I would have liked to have seen him come back but he has some weaknesses and I suppose the team feels we can get Ballard back and maybe Bradshaw and be OK at RB.

Do you people not remember Donald Brown a season or 2 ago?  He was freakin awful and we all wanted him gone.  He then has one good year (his contract year) and you act like he is irreplaceable...  We have seen what a difference a few years can do for Donald Brown, so why are you acting like it is impossible for Trent Richardson to get better?  Brown hit his ceiling this year and will only go down hill.  TRich/Ballard is the direction we need to go and i am glad we are doing it.   I hope we can bring back Bradshaw on a low risk contract also.  

Disagree. This year the Colts only scratched the surface of what Brown is capable of. Been saying this for 3 years now. The Colts have never used Brown to his strengths. A former Vikings RB Robert Smith clone is what he is.

Disagree. This year the Colts only scratched the surface of what Brown is capable of. Been saying this for 3 years now. The Colts have never used Brown to his strengths. A former Vikings RB Robert Smith clone is what he is.

except not nearly as good

So not really a clone at all

Was an honor and privilege to play for the Colts. An organization made up of phenomenal people. Will always be indebted to the horseshoe.

hmm-very-interesting-walrus.gif

Why did this Beatles song suddenly pop into my head?  haha

Must have already been talking to the Patriots.

Don't even go there...The Patriots can't sign athlete they want. For the love of God, there must be limits to what there front office can do even in NE. LOL!

Detroit has 2 runningbacks better than Brown. They probably wouldn't sign him.

I'm thinking either Cleveland or Oakland. 

I have too respect for Donald to land there at those dead end NFL organizations. He deserves better than that IMO.

lmao

This board makes me question my sanity when I read posts like this. "IF YOU DON'T BASH TRENT YOU'RE HIS FANBOI!!!!!!!"

Come back with any kind of statistical measurement. You know. TDs. Recieving yards. Rushing yards.

Giving Choice the nod on the basis of 11 carries couldn't possibly be more ignorant.

You say one or 2 fair games, well that would still be one or 2 more than Choice so cased closed based on your own logic. Don't you love it when things are simple?

I don't really like Trent but this argument is ridiculous

He is simply setting him self up for the $$$.     

I think Indy HAS to keep him, with the uncertainty of TRich and VB.

IMO, Indy brings back Davis,  Brown, Bethea, and Vinny.   Make these guys fair offers and I think they are all coming back.   Get blown out of the ball park by another team and this would be a set back.

In FA I want Indy to concentrate on WR (Jones, Decker) and OG.

Draft DL/LB  PERIOD.       Maybe one S?

This team's D is really good when they rush the passer, they are really bad when they don't.....

My personal fav for the "first" pick in the second round would be Wisky ILB Borland.     STUD.

He and Freeman would look really good together.

Nice post JD! I just wonder about the effectiveness primarily speed of Bethea though. Father time does catch up with everybody. Not a slam just a fact. INDY can't be pulling the Bob Sanders play again. Keeping veterans too long who are no longer a dual [pass & run]  threat on the field. JMO. 

This is where you are wrong though, Brown has always had a high ceiling, but we were forcing a square peg into a round hole with him. Last year when he ran with some of the Man Blocking fronts he excelled, until he was hurt. He has always had the big play ability just wasn't given the chances.

Brown was never a ZBS back, he isn't one to read the line and find the best hole. He was a "Here is the hole, run down hill and use your speed to throw the angles of the defense off" back. He has the ability to get "Small" and squirt through small hole. Thus why he excelled even more this year.

Trent is the opposite. He is a patient runner that is looking for "the Best" hole to open. The main problem he had in our system is that the holes are small and not open long enough for you to be patient. You have to hit it quick and get small, which Trent can do neither of those things. At this point, the only way that Trent is going to get better is for us to switch to a ZBS.

Brown was never BAD, a) people just had no idea what they were looking at, and due to injury he couldn't fully show them what he could do. b) He was being used the wrong way, just as Trent is now.

We should switch to a zbs. Would Ballard do well in it too though?

My statement with Choice was not to say he was a better overall back. My point was that all our backs except Trent were somewhat productive behind this crappy line, even Choice in limited carries. Trent, in my opinion,was not a productive back. Maybe Trent should have got garbage time carries to boost his confidence. . I hope Trent figures it out just as much as everyone else, and I'm not a hater, I just think to let the guy that produced more then any back on your roster to walk would be foolish.