Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Werner

theanarchist

What kind of player do others think he's going to be in 2 years? I'm just curious to see what others think. Do you see him being a 10 sack a year guy? Do you see him taking over for Mathis as Mathis moves into the twilight of his career? And if so do you think that he's going to be able to fill Robert's shoes?

It's difficult for me to have a solid opinion yet. He's been hurt, only seen spot action so far. I liked what I saw out of him at Florida State. My opinion when we drafted him is that he was going to be a solid pro. I didn't think that he had the speed that Mathis has or the moves that Mathis has. I didn't see him as a all-pro type of performer more a less a steady player who could get you 6 or 8 sacks a year and play the run pretty well.

What do you guys think at this point?

His hand technique still needs work, NFL OL are stronger and quicker than the ones he faced in college. Pass rushers, DL, even OL on the interior, it is harder to transition than a skill position like RB or WR.

I do expect him to make more strides in year 2.

What kind of player do others think he's going to be in 2 years? I'm just curious to see what others think. Do you see him being a 10 sack a year guy? Do you see him taking over for Mathis as Mathis moves into the twilight of his career? And if so do you think that he's going to be able to fill Robert's shoes?

It's difficult for me to have a solid opinion yet. He's been hurt, only seen spot action so far. I liked what I saw out of him at Florida State. My opinion when we drafted him is that he was going to be a solid pro. I didn't think that he had the speed that Mathis has or the moves that Mathis has. I didn't see him as a all-pro type of performer more a less a steady player who could get you 6 or 8 sacks a year and play the run pretty well.

We will see where he is next year he only has a half sack this year so maybe next year I bet 6-9 sacks next year.

His hand technique still needs work, NFL OL are stronger and quicker than the ones he faced in college. Pass rushers, DL, even OL on the interior, it is harder to transition than a skill position like RB or WR.

I do expect him to make more strides in year 2.

He's supposedly a smart dude, smart enough to realize that pure physicality won't cut it in the NFL. We really need him to step it up next year. Mathis isn't going to be around forever.

i didn't really like the pick at the time, but am willing to give him a chance to see how it turns out. i really haven't seen much to make me think he is going to be a impact player that you hope to get in the 1st round. i would love to be wrong on him though.

Werner has done everything you could ask for a rookie. From what I've seen when he is healthy has been good not great. Still quits on a play when it's not directed his way and that's my only knock against him. He gets QB pressure and shows a display of power and quickness when ball is snapped

Werner has done everything you could ask for a rookie. From what I've seen when he is healthy has been good not great. Still quits on a play when it's not directed his way and that's my only knock against him. He gets QB pressure and shows a display of power and quickness when ball is snapped

He did that in college, I made a comment about it when we drafted him. It's so frustrating, I was hoping that Pagano would break him of that habit, but so far he is still letting him get away with it.

avg. to below avg.  broke down his film, as opposed to putting a gear into high, he backs off the gas entirely on many plays.  I think it's because he doesn't think he can contribute any more to the play.  Haven't noticed any nifty moves, like NFL caliber moves to get to the qb.  a 2-4 sack guy for the next 2 years.  His burst off the line is good, then there isn't a next speed notch.

I didn't expect him to play much this year..

Others here are right....He has to develop physically...

Cant judge rookies in the rookie year

I see him as more of a well-rounded Ryan Kerrigan type player. A solid run stopper who can also get to the QB. I do not think he will be our RUSH OLB of the future.

You know, I kind of thought the same thing. I almost think he fits more in the role that walden is in. I may be in the minority but I think that Werner can if given the time be a good run stopper.

I think next year he will have a year sort of like  Jared Allen is having this year. Its not a terrific year but it will stand out as some potential for the future. 2 years from now he could have another year like Jared is having this year or he could have something like Robert Quinn is having. Its hard to say really. I think he has a lot of potential, with that said, I dont think he will ever be able to fill the shoes of Mathis. I also dont see him being a 100 sack career player. He might have a 1 or 2 superb years.

He was drafted as "Not great at Anything, good at everything". Very unlikely to be a Blind Side dominant PRusher.

A good chance Werner will be able to drop back in a zone and make some Timely plays.

Anthony Spencer took a couple years to get going and became a 65 tackle 6 sack player that Many teams would like to have.

That is a reasonable goal here.

The SAME numbers Jerry Hughes would have likely had here in his 2nd year in this D, if he stayed. He had 41 & 4 sacks (one less sack than $14M I don`t play the run Freeney), playing his part in the rotation. Hughes played pretty decent along side some real slugs last yr.

He was drafted as "Not great at Anything, good at everything". Very unlikely to be a Blind Side dominant PRusher.

A good chance Werner will be able to drop back in a zone and make some Timely plays.

Anthony Spencer took a couple years to get going and became a 65 tackle 6 sack player that Many teams would like to have.

That is a reasonable goal here.

The SAME numbers Jerry Hughes would have likely had here in his 2nd year in this D, if he stayed. He had 41 & 4 sacks (one less sack than $14M I don`t play the run Freeney), playing his part in the rotation. Hughes played pretty decent along side some real slugs last yr.

is that a shot at Freeney? because to compare Freeney to Jerry Hughes is a complete joke. Freeney was a game changer as a 4-3 end and had every pass rush move in the book. Ya, he didn't play the run. Hughes didn't play the run much either. He sure as heck wasn't even in Freeney's universe when it came to rushing the passer.

He will probably be a good player...probably never an impact player.

I've said many times so far this year that Werner is not only working on making the transition from college to the pros, but also learning the responsibilities and techniques for 2 new positions.  He was originally supposed to only be the backup to Mathis at Rush LB so the plan was he would spell Mathis from time to time and then come in on long yardage obvious passing downs to rush the QB opposite of Mathis.  

So the original plan they had for him was to have him learn the new responsibilities he would have as a Rush LB and he would primarily be in to rush the passer this year.  This would allow him to focus much more on adjusting to the speed of the NFL game.  However the early injury to Sidbury ruined those plans. With Sidbury going down, the Colts didn't have another player that could backup Walden so they had to start teaching Werner the Sam LB position as well.  This puts a lot more emphasis on setting the edge, stopping the run and dropping into coverage.

Because of that and the fact that he missed several weeks with the foot injury he simply hasn't had as many opportunities to strictly rush the passer as I'm sure they anticipated.  Yet he's still not all that far behind guys like Dion Jordan and Jarvis Jones.

I and others have said his problems so far have been more mental in so far as he's having to think about his assignments instead of just reading and reacting with his instincts.  I don't know if anyone else thought the same thing, but it seemed like he was moving quicker and being more aggressive in this past Titans game than in previous games, which could/should be a sign that it's starting to come together for him mentally, which is allowing him to react faster and be more aggressive.  Hopefully this trend continues.

LOL

JJ Watt was a monster from jump, and everyone knew it. Not a double digit sacks guy, but there's no comparing his rookie performance to Werner's so far.

nobody knew watt was watt even the analysis was sayinf how dumb the texans were for taking watt over Farley

is that a shot at Freeney? because to compare Freeney to Jerry Hughes is a complete joke. Freeney was a game changer as a 4-3 end and had every pass rush move in the book. Ya, he didn't play the run. Hughes didn't play the run much either. He sure as heck wasn't even in Freeney's universe when it came to rushing the passer.

Absolutely a blast at Freeney his last year here. !4 total tackles. Hughes 41. WHO played the run pretty well? Get a clue.

Freeney KILLED our run D his whole career. He played way to many downs! Ya Sacks, while rushing all out most every play and giving up Free rushing yards all game long. Weeee, oh how we loved all those Fancy moves, la tee da. And watching Mathis chasing down all the runners from behind. Great effort Bob, while your overpursuit looking so impressive, and you too gave up GADS of rushing yards trying to make plays on Freeney`s man.

Pressure on QB`s IS very Important for sure. Dwight could`nt do it playing as a complete player.His yearly sack totals were not historically high considering he didn`t play TEAM defense.

BTW,Dwight had sacks in 7-9 games a year. We played in a WEAK division in a weak conf. with lots of scrub teams.

Manning won over 40% of his wins here against K.C., Buffalo, Cleveland, Bengals, Jags, Texans and Oakland. the dregs of the league in his time perod. You can bet Dwighty had a lot of his sacks playing from Ahead against these sluggs. OVERRATED!

Absolutely a blast at Freeney his last year here. !4 total tackles. Hughes 41. WHO played the run pretty well? Get a clue.

Freeney KILLED our run D his whole career. He played way to many downs! Ya Sacks, while rushing all out most every play and giving up Free rushing yards all game long. Weeee, oh how we loved all those Fancy moves, la tee da. And watching Mathis chasing down all the runners from behind. Great effort Bob, while your overpursuit looking so impressive, and you too gave up GADS of rushing yards trying to make plays on Freeney`s man.

Pressure on QB`s IS very Important for sure. Dwight could`nt do it playing as a complete player.His yearly sack totals were not historically high considering he didn`t play TEAM defense.

BTW,Dwight had sacks in 7-9 games a year. We played in a WEAK division in a weak conf. with lots of scrub teams.

Manning won over 40% of his wins here against K.C., Buffalo, Cleveland, Bengals, Jags, Texans and Oakland. the dregs of the league in his time perod. You can bet Dwighty had a lot of his sacks playing from Ahead against these sluggs. OVERRATED!

He was coached and told to ignore running lanes. I don't know how you blame him for that.

He was coached and told to ignore running lanes. I don't know how you blame him for that.

He sure played like it. He took that deep rush KNOWING teams were killing us running thru his vacant Gap.

I Never believed Any Head Coach thought that was winning FB. 

Dwight would have played the run pretty well too, or been much more of a situational rusher.

Like I said, fun watching all the moves. But Good teams schemed to use his Terrible Team play to pick up Lots of yards/first downs when they needed them. Del Rio Owned him & Mathis, he abused them. It was embarrasing watching that year after year.

Against Good Teams in the playoffs, I saw Dwight as a Real Contributor to our being under .500 in the playoffs with all those one & dones.

45 years of watching the NFL and IMO, he Is all alone in playing the way he did. Just the way i see it.