Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T-Rich Screen Passes.

Dark Superman

We were throwing a fit about this in the gameday thread. The dude is a stud in open space. Since the line and playcalling handing him the ball isn't resulting in him getting into open space, one has to ask....why not think of other ways to get him into space? 

TRich could be busting for 60-75 yard gains every game if we feed him more creatively. 

Why aren't we throwing screen passes to this guy all game?

We do it once and he easily gets 10 yards.

Get this guy the ball in space because once he gets his legs moving it's nearly impossible to tackle him one on one.

Does anyone else agree?

I said that after the Seattle game. Everyone said he cant run the ball. He can run, he is trying to run to through the gaps he is assigned to do. With our oline those gaps get closed and he tries to push through, if he would bounce to the outside he has a chance to break it. For example. His toss play in last nights game he got I believe 7 yards or so. He is great if he can break out in space but with our line he cant. So I said after the seattle game we need to hit him with more screen passes. He makes several players miss and he also breaks several tackles in the open, GET TRICH THE BALL IN SPACE

I mean we need to do that more , screen passes stretch runs tosses , get trent on the edge not always up the middle use him just like u use Donald brown too, not these are trent play and these and browns plays , Trent comes in all power runs up the middle in a 8 man box , u don't give a first round pick to use a guy like that

Agreed.  If you watch the Bama tape it's ridiculous.  T-Rich in space is like one of those cave trolls in Lord of the Rings and the opposing LB's, safeties, and corners are like those small little goblins...not the half-breed scary looking ones with white paint on their faces...but the little small ones that seem to fall apart whenever the good guys are around...

Can I get a +5 for the LOTR reference? :thmsup:

I agree get him in some different sets, him running up the middle all the time with 8 men in the box is not going to improve YPC.  He is doing everything he can with that line and the way they are lining him up.  Screen passes, tosses, draws, anything different than up the middle.

the power formation will work fine if we mix in play action passes and screens more from it. this will open up the middle and we will gain some ground yards from it. the formation will look the same pass or run.

Agreed. Richardson can go through or around 1 or 2 guys in space. He has no chance taking on 5 guys up the gut every time.

In the end, we are winning, and these small runs can be viewed as body punches. However, I think to take it to the next level, we do indeed need to get a little more creative with T-rich. Love the talent, and the guy is really hard to take down.

I was screaming that the whole game!It would of changed the momentum a lot sooner had Pep went to screens. He missed playing against the Texans defensive weakness. I also noticed Luck wasn't running. There was 2 times he had a wide open middle that he would've likely made 1st down and I could see him looking, then he must of heard some voice telling him not to run! Driving me crazy, I think Luck would be even better if allowed to do more with his instincts. 

Lots of good posts here.

And how about running the stretch play. Trent runs low and I can see him cutting hard with his power like Edge did.
We know that works great for play action too!
 It`s early, only a nut would think Pep will not continue to adapt with the players he has. It is SO Early in his tenure and he has been stuck with some guys that just can`t do the job. IMO

Most can see, add a Solid Center, Pray Thornton gets much better in year two, Donald Thomas & Allen come back, A more reliable hands WR than DHB is added, and this O will be a real chain moving Hammer. ALL doable and should be expected.

The Monster O in year 3. That would be impressive and is going to happen.

Do you guys here yourselves?   I would like to see all of those things, and don't understand why we never seem to run him outside the tackles. However, you can't build your offense around screen passes and draws. I don't think we have the linemen to run the stretch play effectively.

From what I have seen, We are better off doing all those things with Brown anyway.

When a defense knows you are trying to do that it is pretty easy to stop.

If you get a chance, rewatch the first play of the game to Fleener......had Andrew checked down to TRich he would have had a blocker and a free run into the endzone......

As far as the topic, yes, TRich seems pegged into that jumbo package role where everyone in the tri-state area knows we're fixin to run.....get him in some spread sets like DB and lets see if he still runs at 3 yards a clip and lets see if he can catch a short pass andbreak a few tackles enroute to the endzone!

Guest TeamLoloJones

If you get a chance, rewatch the first play of the game to Fleener......had Andrew checked down to TRich he would have had a blocker and a free run into the endzone......

As far as the topic, yes, TRich seems pegged into that jumbo package role where everyone in the tri-state area knows we're fixin to run.....get him in some spread sets like DB and lets see if he still runs at 3 yards a clip and lets see if he can catch a short pass andbreak a few tackles enroute to the endzone!

I was hoping Coby would slow down and let Trich take out the linebacker.  Also if Coby would have landed his stiff arm a little better he might have scored.  

Now imagine that with just decent interior linemen wow all the bust talk is just stupid

If you've watched watched all the previous games check out Trent. He's always sitting there wide open waiting for the check down. Luck needs to be faster with his decision making and get him the ball if nothing is there.

Why aren't we throwing screen passes to this guy all game?

We do it once and he easily gets 10 yards.

Get this guy the ball in space because once he gets his legs moving it's nearly impossible to tackle him one on one.

Does anyone else agree?

I thought the same thing as I watched him gain steam I hope to see more of the same alot more .

If you've watched watched all the previous games check out Trent. He's always sitting there wide open waiting for the check down. Luck needs to be faster with his decision making and get him the ball if nothing is there.

Trent broke loose across the middle running wide open to the right, right in front of Andrew, and for about the 100th time in Andrews short career, Andrew chose to force it long downfield into tight coverage rather than take the high % play.

I bet his maligned O-Line wishes he would quit doing that So Much. I know i would.

Trent broke loose across the middle running wide open to the right, right in front of Andrew, and for about the 100th time in Andrews short career, Andrew chose to force it long downfield into tight coverage rather than take the high % play.

I bet his maligned O-Line wishes he would quit doing that So Much. I know i would.

I know! I been watching close cause they said at the beginning of the seasons we would be throwing more quick or short passes. Using the check down, etc...looks like Luck is stuck in Arians mode sometimes. Needs to try to spread the ball around more and trust his teammates.

Free run to the endzone? Hardly....unless all those guys run a 5.3. Plus, given the position of Luck on the field, the pass to Fleener was far easier.

I know! I been watching close cause they said at the beginning of the seasons we would be throwing more quick or short passes. Using the check down, etc...looks like Luck is stuck in Arians mode sometimes. Needs to try to spread the ball around more and trust his teammates.

We are talking about a level of play that we used to not expect till a guy had played 3,4,5 years.

I think we are all giddy with Andrews progress, Yuck yuck!

If we can get to where only One opponent per play is consistently breaking thru our O-Line ;)  I think Andrew could deal well with ONLY that.

Whether I doubt somes ability to give us what we need, I feel great about our Teams attitudes and effort.

That is the stuff that has made me enjoy our Colts from year 1. Give me a Barry Krause, Jeff Herrod, Saturday and so on, I will get joy from our gamedays. I have never appreciated Saturday more than I do now.

People can call him a bust if they want, but they sure can't call him slow.

Amen to that! He has speed, so why not use it? I'm not saying we can't use him in a Jumbo set, but let's give him the ball in different sets and see what he can do. And let's pass out of the Jumbo package every now and then, run a bootleg, or something for God's sake! It is so dang predictable that Trent is going to run right up the gut when we line up that way. Gotta keep the defense guessing.

Pep said prior to the Texans game he was working on ideas to get him in space to use his skills - that is exactly what he did. You will see a lot more of this by the end of the season. Say what you will about the guy but he's like tackling a wrecking ball in the open field.

I believe the scienfitic terminology is Rolling Ball of Butcher Knives.