Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian doesn't list Colts as a contender

ColtStrong

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/281/polian-doesnt-list-colts-as-a-contender

INDIANAPOLIS – Bill Polian spent 15 years in the Indianapolis Colts' front office. But despite being with the franchise all that time, Polian didn’t cut them any slack when it came to revealing his list of playoff contenders

Polian, now an analyst at ESPN, listed five legitimate contenders, five teams with question marks and five teams that missed the playoffs last season but have a chance to make it this season. 

Here’s his list: 

Legitimate contenders 
San Francisco 
Seattle 
Atlanta 
New England 
Cincinnati 

Teams with question marks 
Denver 
Baltimore 
Green Bay 
Washington 
Houston 

Teams on the rise 
Kansas City 
Detroit 
Carolina 
New Orleans 
Chicago 

Isn't it funny how Indy isn't even listed? Can you say SOUR GRAPES? Please keep it civil........... 

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So an Andy Dalton lead team is a contender and we aren't? And we improved in the other positions besides QB where we were weak last year. 

The colts don't get any love haha:(

Andy Dalton doesn't have to be a stud for that team to win. That defense will carry them a LONG ways, much like Baltimore did with Flacco. Cincinatti could easily be a representative of the AFC.

This should be bulletin board material though if he doesn't even consider us as a team on the rise. Tack it up in the locker room with a big ole picture of Bill beside it:)

To be honest I think alot of the "Colts are not contenders" bulletin board material is out the window. If their needs to be bulletin board material I hope I hear something regarding our Linebacker play on run defense, for the most part its looked bad in the pre season, Teams have us on the map now and by some chance if a rare team dont then we need to make them put us on the map

Not surprising coming from Mr.Polian. At times it seems like he is going out of his way to not even bring up the Colts in discussions. I don't think he is doing so out of spite though, or animosity. How the heck does the Bengals make his list of contenders? If they have improved that much I can't see it... and to me Cleveland is the most improved team in Ohio, but they are hardly a contender.

It does feel like sour grapes but in Polian's defense(did I really just say that?) most national media don't consider us a contender yet. On this board is mainly where I here "contender" and "Colts" in the same sentence.

Not entirely true. There are a few pundits that actually think the Colts will be somewhat special this year. It's OK we're not the flavor of the week. We'll be just fine.

At the very least I would put the Colts on the "team on the rise" list. My God why not? Did I completely miss last season and our bright young QB who looks to be the real deal? Did I miss something?

Sometimes I am honestly stunned at the lack of respect this team is receiving. Sure, I don't expect EVERYONE to love us. But, it is getting to the point that everyone is just brushing us off because they think we were flukey.

But, in the end a lack of respect can be a good thing. It will give us a chip.....

I can't get mad at people about their opinions so much less at Bill Polian. He generally avoids commenting on the Colt. I noticed that ever since he got his ESPN job. He gave his opinion just like all the other guys at this time of the year. NFL is so unpredictable that I wouldn't be surprised if Colts even win the Super Bowl and then all those who didn't predict that can eat crow :). Let's just enjoy the season. Go Colts!

Yeah.....how can a lot of experts say Luck will be a top 5 QB by this time next year yet we are not a team on the rise? Last time I checked an elite QB is the biggest difference maker an NFL team can have. We saw that with Peyton. He made most guys around him look better than they are.

People are reading way too much into this. This isn't a list of his top 15 teams in the league, it's three DIFFERENT lists. The fact that he worked for the Colts has nothing to do with anything.

The Colts are NOT, one of the top five teams in the league.

The Colts have question marks all OVER related to rebuilding (as do half the teams in the league) but the teams listed have much more narrow questions that might dramatically impact their seasons.

Being excluded from the third list is a compliment.

What's the problem exactly?

At the very least I would put the Colts on the "team on the rise" list. My God why not? Did I completely miss last season and our bright young QB who looks to be the real deal? Did I miss something?

Sometimes I am honestly stunned at the lack of respect this team is receiving. Sure, I don't expect EVERYONE to love us. But, it is getting to the point that everyone is just brushing us off because they think we were flukey.

But, in the end a lack of respect can be a good thing. It will give us a chip.....

you did miss something.. like the OP says; "..Polian, now an analyst at ESPN, listed five legitimate contenders, five teams with question marks and five teams that missed the playoffs last season but have a chance to make it this season (Teams on the rise).."

i believe colts made the playoffs last year..

Andy Dalton doesn't have to be a stud for that team to win. That defense will carry them a LONG ways, much like Baltimore did with Flacco. Cincinatti could easily be a representative of the AFC.

They have done nothing remotely significant to merit such adulation. Of course, they could rise and be a dynasty, but Dalton is simplynot good enough. And no matter what other weapons they have, recent history tells us that you need a QB that can deliver. Just what Flacco did when it counted, in the play-offs. I don't believe Dalton can handle the big time. I'm usually wrong, so don't get excited.

I feel like the national media has kinda disrespected us for a few years now. Even the last 4-5 years of the Manning era it seemed like we were always the "team on the decline" or "team with the closing window" yet consistently won 12 games and even made it back to the Super Bowl in '09. I always just laughed it off but this year its getting under my skin a bit. The reason these analyst give for why were gonna "take a step back" just dont even make sense. With how incredibly weak the AFC is this year you would think most people would see us as a lock for the playoffs. Im hearing people say they think the Steelers will get in with like 9 wins! We really cant get 9 wins and grab a wild card spot in this division??

Look i get that we have a tougher schedule and all that yada yada but this team is so much better than last year its crazy. Just think of all the turnovers Luck had last year that completely changed games. And how horrible that defense was in certain games. We should see dramatic improvement in both of those. Being in such a weak division and conference as a whole it just seems crazy to think we wouldnt be one of the top 6 teams in the AFC.

End rant.

The Best QBs in the last few drafts are Dalton, Newton, Luck, Griffin, Kap and Wilson. Everyone of their teams made his list except one.. The top 4 QBs, Manning, Brady, Bree's and Rodgers teams made his list. His personal pick last year, the Falcons Matty Ice made the list. See the pattern? He has the top QBs teams making the list, even Flacco, but no love for Luck and Big Ben. He even gives Chicago love... Cutler?

The Best QBs in the last few drafts are Dalton, Newton, Luck, Griffin, Kap and Wilson. Everyone of their teams made his list except one.. The top 4 QBs, Manning, Brady, Bree's and Rodgers teams made his list. His personal pick last year, the Falcons Matty Ice made the list. See the pattern? He has the top QBs teams making the list, even Flacco, but no love for Luck and Big Ben. He even gives Chicago love... Cutler?

There are 53 players on teams.

you did miss something.. like the OP says; "..Polian, now an analyst at ESPN, listed five legitimate contenders, five teams with question marks and five teams that missed the playoffs last season but have a chance to make it this season (Teams on the rise).."

i believe colts made the playoffs last year..

Oops sorry, must have missed that part. Because before I did miss it I was totally :scratch:.

Honestly we still have a lot to prove many question marks. I have never liked free agency and I understand why grigson did it because of a lack of talent time will tell Polian was smart to avoid us . Butt then again he left us with this mess so he o's how difficult it will be

They have done nothing remotely significant to merit such adulation. Of course, they could rise and be a dynasty, but Dalton is simplynot good enough. And no matter what other weapons they have, recent history tells us that you need a QB that can deliver. Just what Flacco did when it counted, in the play-offs. I don't believe Dalton can handle the big time. I'm usually wrong, so don't get excited.

This made me laugh.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/69627/bengals-look-to-end-playoff-win-drought

The last time the Bengals won a playoff game, gas cost $1.19 per gallon, "Home Alone" was the highest grossing movie of that week and "Justify My Love" by Madonna was No. 1 on the Billboard charts. If that doesn't put it in perspective, wide receiver A.J. Green was 2 years old at the time.

I respect your football I.Q. BHC & I'm not saying that Andy Dalton is top notch franchise material here, but he hasn't been in the NFL for say 5 seasons yet with post season flameouts. His sample size is too small to judge his clutch capabilities yet. Also, both QBs Trent Dilfer in Baltimore & Brad Johnson in Tampa Bay won SBs with a stout defense & a game management field general who didn't turn the ball over. The championship formula has been set. Greatness isn't required just play mistake free football, score 17-21 points, & have your defense & secondary carry your team across the finish line. 

Andy Dalton can play ball. Don't discount him. He kicked my Alma Mater's caboose in the 2011 RoseBowl & SW1 never saw that coming from a mile away. Don't underestimate Dalton BHC...

Yes, I will admit that college to pro comparisons are not always an accurate tool to determine future team success, but don't let his simple small town aw shucks demeanor fool ya. Experts said Eli Manning wasn't franchise material in his 1st few NFL seasons too & look where he is now...

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/281/polian-doesnt-list-colts-as-a-contender

INDIANAPOLIS – Bill Polian spent 15 years in the Indianapolis Colts' front office. But despite being with the franchise all that time, Polian didn’t cut them any slack when it came to revealing his list of playoff contenders

Polian, now an analyst at ESPN, listed five legitimate contenders, five teams with question marks and five teams that missed the playoffs last season but have a chance to make it this season. 

Here’s his list: 

Legitimate contenders 

San Francisco 

Seattle 

Atlanta 

New England 

Cincinnati 

Denver 

Baltimore 

Green Bay 

Washington 

Houston 

Teams on the rise 

Kansas City 

Detroit 

Carolina 

New Orleans 

Chicago 

Isn't it funny how Indy isn't even listed? Can you say SOUR GRAPES? Please keep it civil........... 

Why isn't INDY listed under teams on the rise? Is this like when a girlfriend dumps you & the rejected/scorned former lover [bill Polian in this case] is still in the I hope my former employer's squad gets hit by a bus phase? Release that venom & anger Bill. Cut it loose for good. Is it because Jerry Hughes was your last pick for INDY is playing for Buffalo now? A team you never actually won a trophy with...Let the bitterness go already...

Is it really as simple and petty as this: Genius people or those who classify themselves as such tend to believe that if they didn't achieve greatness more than once no one can. It's a defense mechanism that shields them from admitting that they might not be as brilliant as they originally thought they were &, if someone else starts over & exceeds what you achieved as GM, you might have to admit that you are now ordinary & have lost your golden, midas touch. Highly intelligent people hate being surpassed in achievements by someone in the same position that they once held themselves. It makes them feel small & insignificant. 

Why isn't INDY listed under teams on the rise? Is this like when a girlfriend dumps you & the rejected/scorned former lover [bill Polian in this case] is still in the I hope my former employer's squad gets hit by a bus phase? Release that venom & anger Bill. Cut it loose for good. Is it because Jerry Hughes was your last pick for INDY is playing for Buffalo now? A team you never actually won a trophy with...Let the bitterness go already...

Is it really as simple and petty as this: Genius people or those who classify themselves as such tend to believe that if they didn't achieve greatness more than once no one can. It's a defense mechanism that shields them from admitting that they might not be as brilliant as they originally thought they were &, if someone else starts over & exceeds what you achieved as GM, you might have to admit that you are now ordinary & have lost your golden, midas touch. Highly intelligent people hate being surpassed in achievements by someone in the same position that they once held themselves. It makes them feel small & insignificant. 

Indy wasn't on the teams on the rise, because the stipulation of that category was that these are teams who weren't in the playoffs last year.  Obviously we were in the playoffs, thus nullifying our ability to be on this part of his list.

Yeah.....how can a lot of experts say Luck will be a top 5 QB by this time next year yet we are not a team on the rise? Last time I checked an elite QB is the biggest difference maker an NFL team can have. We saw that with Peyton. He made most guys around him look better than they are.

Here’s his list: 

Legitimate contenders 

San Francisco 

Seattle 

Atlanta 

New England 

Cincinnati 

Denver 

Baltimore 

Green Bay 

Washington 

Houston 

Teams on the rise 

Kansas City 

Detroit 

Carolina 

New Orleans 

Chicago 

If Bill Polian and all those other "football experts" were as smart as they think they are they would all be General Managers and Head Coaches with real jobs instead of just flapping their gums on TV.  Guess he must have missed the news that the Colts went 11-5 last year and made the playoffs with one pretty darn good rookie QB and a patchwork supporting cast. Any way you look at it, the Colts are better this year, on both sides of the line of scrimmage, and definitely "on the rise".

People are reading way too much into this. This isn't a list of his top 15 teams in the league, it's three DIFFERENT lists. The fact that he worked for the Colts has nothing to do with anything.

The Colts are NOT, one of the top five teams in the league.

The Colts have question marks all OVER related to rebuilding (as do half the teams in the league) but the teams listed have much more narrow questions that might dramatically impact their seasons.

Being excluded from the third list is a compliment.

What's the problem exactly?

The Colts are not rebuilding, they never were. I'm not sure where you got that from.

I like that too. Quiet confidence always gives you an edge like a scrappy runt who believes they can knockout anybody at anytime. Plus, I love underdog stories that unfold before our very eyes like a heavily favored prize fighter that that gets taken down swiftly by a tooth & nail opponent that refuses to lie down & die on command.

Mostly, I love seeing sports pundits that scramble for answers as to what they just saw almost as if sheer disbelief forced their own fragile psyches to hit harder on the canvas the then undefeated heavyweight champion. Translation: Any team can be dismantled & smashed on any given Sunday. It's always a fluke until another NFL organization sets the precedent right & creates a new norm...

Just like a great unexpected punchline out of the blue, the element of surprise is always a lethal blow...A vicious uppercut to the team who never saw their downfall coming...

Mike Greenburg just picked the Colts to be in the superbowl

There isn't anything to base any projections on at this time. Everybody needs to dial it back

You should base your projector on a solid surface and aim it at a white screen.

You're right, if you dial it back a bit you'll get the bigger picture.

Mike Greenburg just picked the Colts to be in the superbowl

There isn't anything to base any projections on at this time. Everybody needs to dial it back

Yes, there is...What we did last year. That's why they are called projections. You look at last year's successes & extrapolate forward based on our talent level, new additions, & what we have learned. Granted, it's more educated guessing than scientific fact at this juncture. 

Dial what back? No, disrespect, but if I don't like what Mr. Polian said, I'm going to make my objections known... In a polite manner obviously...SW1 is stating my genuine beliefs. I make no apologizes for my resolve ever. As always, people are certainly free to disagree with me. I've got no problem with that at all. I never claimed to have all the answers just a neverending stream of questions...

SW1 meant no disrespect Nadine. I swear.