Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian doesn't list Colts as a contender

ColtStrong

Perhaps Polian is right after all.  Looks like Mike Greenberg really screwed up his Denver/Manning analysis by calling Manning out and saying he was looking old last year and doesn't think Denver will do good, ugh!!!  That means he jinxed us by saying we were going to do awesome, make the playoffs, and contend for a title.

Good Job GREENBERG (hope I spelled it wrong !!!)

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand not picking the Colus to be contenders, but to me not even listing the Colts as a team on the rise is odd. I've heard people talk to him about the Colts & Luck and he just kind of shrugs things off even tried to change the subject on one show.

Well the better the Colts do the more he has to admit his plan was wrong, and as we all know Polian is never wrong (in his mind at least)

Used to support him. Really don’t care what he has to say now. He is too stubborn to change his philosophy of running a football team and his philosophy does not work in the present NFL climate which is probably why he is a talking media head instead of a GM somewhere.

I am glad you like Clayton. He thinks Luck is the 13th best QB in the NFL this year. I think he is about right. The Colts could win 9 but 10 would be a big surprise for me. I wonder how many that were picking the Colts over Denver still feel that way? When the Broncos play the Colts they will have some superstar defensive players back they did not have last night. I expect a blow-out win by Denver in that one. But Denver is going to have lots of blow-out winds as Peyton puts up one of the best year by a QB in NFL history. It isn't hard to see him being MVP again.

Well if last nights game is any indication on how good Denver will be this year, I must say they are the team to beat.

I'm picking them & Seattle in the SB with Den winning. I sure would love to see my Colts there. I can't pick them as contenders yet because we haven't even seen how this team will be with all the new fresh faces. After a few games we can all get a better feel.

I am optimistic the Colts will make the playoffs. I guess at this time, really no one knows yet. :)

I understand not picking the Colus to be contenders, but to me not even listing the Colts as a team on the rise is odd. I've heard people talk to him about the Colts & Luck and he just kind of shrugs things off even tried to change the subject on one show.

It isn't odd at all if you read the stipulations in the article. If you comment without reading it then you don't know what I am talking about. Read it and you will see, that under the criteria he put on it, the Colts are not a team on the rise.

Screw Polian and his football philosophies of building an unbalanced  team with just a few skilled offensive and defensive players, crappy offensive and defensive lines. Oh, how can I forget about the bend and don't break defensive philosophy of building a team around the hopes of playing with a lead.

Give me Grigs and his balanced approach of both sides of the ball, not to mention paying some attention to the linemen is very refreshing.

Edit: Manning having only one title is a friggin' joke! If the guy had a decent O-line that could run the ball and a serviceable Defense, Manning could be tripled up in titles! :rantoff:

It won't work for Grigs either when he has to pony up to pay Luck the big bucks. They will be cutting good players and filling in with rookies and undrafted free agents just like Polian had to do. Except he won't be as good at it.

It won't work for Grigs either when he has to pony up to pay Luck the big bucks. They will be cutting good players and filling in with rookies and undrafted free agents just like Polian had to do. Except he won't be as good at it.

Ok now your just getting annoying, I agreed with some of your comments, but saying Grigson wont be as good at it is out of line and speaks volumes of obvious contempt over letting Peyton go, Polian not even bothering to list them as contenders is indeed odd.

"The Colts obviously aren't listed as one of the rising teams because they made the playoffs last season". "And you can't fault Polian for not listing them as a contender or even a team with question marks".

I get the first part. the second sentence does not go into detail as to why I cant fault Polian for not listing us as a team at least on the rise

we won't know that for ten years... :36dancing:  :36dancing:  :36dancing: :36dancing:  :36dancing:  :36dancing:  :36dancing:  :36dancing:  :36dancing:  :36dancing:  :36dancing:  :36dancing:  :36dancing:   

Ok now your just getting annoying, I agreed with some of your comments, but saying Grigson wont be as good at it is out of line and speaks volumes of obvious contempt over letting Peyton go, Polian not even bothering to list them as contenders is indeed odd.

"The Colts obviously aren't listed as one of the rising teams because they made the playoffs last season". "And you can't fault Polian for not listing them as a contender or even a team with question marks".

I get the first part. the second sentence does not go into detail as to why I cant fault Polian for not listing us as a team at least on the rise

We will see. But when Polian decided that his up and coming teams would come from a pool of teams that didn't make the playoffs last year, the Colts were eliminated. It really is as simple as that.

we won't know that for ten years... :36dancing:  :36dancing:  :36dancing: :36dancing:  :36dancing:  :36dancing:  :36dancing:  :36dancing:  :36dancing:  :36dancing:  :36dancing:  :36dancing:  :36dancing:   

I'm not sure he will be around for ten years but, yes, that would be when we will know.

I understand that it matters to you and makes you emotional, but I'm just not going to worry about whether or not Polian was being biased because pre-season predictions are nothing more than a guessing game to me.

Personally, I get more upset when a Colt's fan says that he hopes the SB comes down to the Patriots vs. the Saints.  :no:

Okay, I said that because INDY isn't good enough to get to the SB this year. And if we can't be there, who do I wanna see? Brees vs Brady. I love Peyton Manning sure, but Von Miller's stupidity is gonna derail their SB hopes this calendar year. Besides, I need to see clutchness in November & December which I haven't witnessed since 2009...A 4 year drought...Actions speak louder than words...JMO...

I guess I don't see it as laziness on BPs part. I just don't think he understands what Grigs is doing, and its easier to project mediocrity on a foundation of unknowns. It's like Grigs is speaking in a foreign tongue, and BP is assuming it's just babbling. BP never ran a team like this, and would never have imagined taking the same approach, so it's just too foreign.

Hey, SW1 can relate to that Schwamm. Grigs double speak persona annoys me to no end & I have no idea what he's saying to the press half the time so Bill isn't the foreigner around here. But, Grigs is a good talent scout so SW1 lets it slide. Winning takes a ton of heat off any GM. 

"I just don't think he understands what Grigs is doing." That statement right there implies ambiguity & the quickest way to eliminate confusion & uncertainty is to travel to your old stomping grounds INDY & get some answers. Some people are perplexed by confusion: The fear of the unknown makes cowards of us all while others say I'm gonna get some answers no matter how many stones I have to kick over. Trust me, it's pure laziness. At least make a deliberate effort to meet with Grigs & the coaching staff in INDY to determine the reason for such a fast turnaround. Why is heft & girth on the line more important than speed in this regime? 

Just for my own benefit Bill Polian could show Ryan Grigson how to write an in depth weekly or monthly GM Corner. I would really appreciate that actually.  :hat:

Hey, SW1 can relate to that Schwamm. Grigs double speak persona annoys me to no end & I have no idea what he's saying to the press half the time so Bill isn't the foreigner around here. But, Grigs is a good talent scout so SW1 lets it slide. Winning takes a ton of heat off any GM. 

"I just don't think he understands what Grigs is doing." That statement right there implies ambiguity & the quickest way to eliminate confusion & uncertainty is to travel to your old stomping grounds INDY & get some answers. Some people are perplexed by confusion: The fear of the unknown makes cowards of us all while others say I'm gonna get some answers no matter how many stones I have to kick over. Trust me, it's pure laziness. At least make a deliberate effort to meet with Grigs & the coaching staff in INDY to determine the reason for such a fast turnaround. Why is heft & girth on the line more important than speed in this regime? 

Just for my own benefit Bill Polian could show Ryan Grigson how to write an in:-)

depth weekly or monthly GM Corner. I would really appreciate that actually.  :hat:

Re the Polian Corner......it was interesting for about half a season, then it clicked that he was just regurgitating the same old stuff. 'Mark Levy used to say......' Etc.

Well Ill say this...Polian did say that anything before week 4 is guessing and we haven't even played a real game yet.........But Carolina?......Kansas City? Come on man!

Well kc is on the rise.  They could only get better.  That doesnt mean they are going to the play offs.  Just that they will be better.

Re the Polian Corner......it was interesting for about half a season, then it clicked that he was just regurgitating the same old stuff. 'Mark Levy used to say......' Etc.

For me, it wasn't so much repetition or reguritating familiar answers that much, but rather Bill's obsession with Bill Parcels. "You are what your record says you are." Bill Polian loved to use that expression so often SW1 started to think that quote was his middle name. Polian has a series man crush on Parcels. I was surprised that Bill Parcels didn't thank Bill Polian for being the leader of his fan club at the HOF ceremony in August actually. 

1 good thing about the Polian Corner is that I could always know what direction our team was headed. With Grigson, who the hades knows man. I can't figure out his thought process at all. Mystery & intrigue is nice on a 1st date with an attractive woman, but it is frustrating in a GM. 

Is there really anybody that gives 2 ***** about what Polian thinks anymore?

It is always a good thing to see what your predecessor GM says. Why? It reminds you of how far the Colts have truly come & why Bill Polian is no longer running football operations in INDY. Avoid nepotism at all costs or hiring an unqualified son to replace you to serve as your surrogate. Legitimate qualifications do indeed matter. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/281/polian-doesnt-list-colts-as-a-contender

INDIANAPOLIS – Bill Polian spent 15 years in the Indianapolis Colts' front office. But despite being with the franchise all that time, Polian didn’t cut them any slack when it came to revealing his list of playoff contenders

Polian, now an analyst at ESPN, listed five legitimate contenders, five teams with question marks and five teams that missed the playoffs last season but have a chance to make it this season. 

Here’s his list: 

Legitimate contenders 

San Francisco 

Seattle 

Atlanta 

New England 

Cincinnati 

Teams with question marks 

Denver 

Baltimore 

Green Bay 

Washington 

Houston 

Teams on the rise 

Kansas City 

Detroit 

Carolina 

New Orleans 

Chicago 

Isn't it funny how Indy isn't even listed? Can you say SOUR GRAPES? Please keep it civil........... 

This should be bulletin board material though if he doesn't even consider us as a team on the rise. Tack it up in the locker room with a big ole picture of Bill beside it:)

At the very least I would put the Colts on the "team on the rise" list. My God why not? Did I completely miss last season and our bright young QB who looks to be the real deal? Did I miss something?

Sometimes I am honestly stunned at the lack of respect this team is receiving. Sure, I don't expect EVERYONE to love us. But, it is getting to the point that everyone is just brushing us off because they think we were flukey.

But, in the end a lack of respect can be a good thing. It will give us a chip.....

Why isn't INDY listed under teams on the rise? Is this like when a girlfriend dumps you & the rejected/scorned former lover [bill Polian in this case] is still in the I hope my former employer's squad gets hit by a bus phase? Release that venom & anger Bill. Cut it loose for good. Is it because Jerry Hughes was your last pick for INDY is playing for Buffalo now? A team you never actually won a trophy with...Let the bitterness go already...

Is it really as simple and petty as this: Genius people or those who classify themselves as such tend to believe that if they didn't achieve greatness more than once no one can. It's a defense mechanism that shields them from admitting that they might not be as brilliant as they originally thought they were &, if someone else starts over & exceeds what you achieved as GM, you might have to admit that you are now ordinary & have lost your golden, midas touch. Highly intelligent people hate being surpassed in achievements by someone in the same position that they once held themselves. It makes them feel small & insignificant. 

If he cant see this is a rising team based on personnel they have this year Vs Last  it explains to me his lack of understanding of many of his early draft pick busts in later years

if he doesn't list  us Colts as a team on the rise saying to himself we made playoffs  last year and will again just not legitimate contender to win Superbowl then OK 

I just wonder what category he would of put us when he was here , if Denver has  ??  marks with having Peyton as QB, then all those years when we had no run  game, no run D and poor O line but always made playoffs, he must of thought he had for all his  Teams after SB 41 a team with qusetion marks was best he could put together & never again a true contender

This from the man that broke team spirit by not letting us try for an undefeated season

For me, it wasn't so much repetition or reguritating familiar answers that much, but rather Bill's obsession with Bill Parcels. "You are what your record says you are." Bill Polian loved to use that expression so often SW1 started to think that quote was his middle name. Polian has a series man crush on Parcels. I was surprised that Bill Parcels didn't thank Bill Polian for being the leader of his fan club at the HOF ceremony in August actually. 

1 good thing about the Polian Corner is that I could always know what direction our team was headed. With Grigson, who the hades knows man. I can't figure out his thought process at all. Mystery & intrigue is nice on a 1st date with an attractive woman, but it is frustrating in a GM.

All very true sir. And if I want mystery and intrigue, I'll watch Lost!

Does this guy even know football anymore?  Like seriously, Denver...Question mark?  He states its cause of Von Miller suspension and lack of pass rush...Does the Superbowl occur in week 6 now?  Even without Von they are still definitely contendor material, especially if New England is in his book.  With what passing game or defense does New England have?  Not what they use to.  Holy smokes Polian...please just fade away bro.

At the very least I would put the Colts on the "team on the rise" list. My God why not? Did I completely miss last season and our bright young QB who looks to be the real deal? Did I miss something?

Sometimes I am honestly stunned at the lack of respect this team is receiving. Sure, I don't expect EVERYONE to love us. But, it is getting to the point that everyone is just brushing us off because they think we were flukey.

But, in the end a lack of respect can be a good thing. It will give us a chip.....

To be fair, we won 11 games last year. To be on the rise we would have to win 12 or more, yes?  Otherwise you will hear the words regress, etc.  There are few folks who believe we will win 12 or more this year.  And, we are fans that are fanatical about the Colts. In our hearts, we believe we can run the table.  In our minds, we think, we'll probably lose a couple... that we probably shouldn't have.  Everyone else around the league is thinking, they caught lightning in a bottle last year with that huge -points discrepancy, and are still building their monster, so to win more than 8 would an eye opener.

We on this bard have a very different outlook for our team than the majority of folks in the rest of NFL land.  We'll have to prove them wrong week by week. And go further in the playoffs.

Why isn't INDY listed under teams on the rise? Is this like when a girlfriend dumps you & the rejected/scorned former lover [bill Polian in this case] is still in the I hope my former employer's squad gets hit by a bus phase? Release that venom & anger Bill. Cut it loose for good. Is it because Jerry Hughes was your last pick for INDY is playing for Buffalo now? A team you never actually won a trophy with...Let the bitterness go already...

Is it really as simple and petty as this: Genius people or those who classify themselves as such tend to believe that if they didn't achieve greatness more than once no one can. It's a defense mechanism that shields them from admitting that they might not be as brilliant as they originally thought they were &, if someone else starts over & exceeds what you achieved as GM, you might have to admit that you are now ordinary & have lost your golden, midas touch. Highly intelligent people hate being surpassed in achievements by someone in the same position that they once held themselves. It makes them feel small & insignificant. 

Lol I don't really give a Rats a.. what Polian thinks,lets set back and watch,this team if it stays healthy will be very very good.As for the so called experts well lol look at the track records.This team is much better overall especially on D,the sky is the limit.That being said we have one of the toughest schedules in the league lol not quite ready to throw up the white flag just yet,or at all.Lol I guess that's say it,I don't care what the so called experts  from the media or in this forum have to say,what I do care about is this team executing on the field,and the pitbull attitude to win and succeed.Im sure your with me on this Brother

Just for my own benefit Bill Polian could show Ryan Grigson how to write an in depth weekly or monthly GM Corner. I would really appreciate that actually. :hat:

I know having the GM communicate with the fans is important to you. No so much to me. I guess I rely on the play on the field and the moves made to tweak the roster to tell me what I GM is thinking.

I wasn't suggesting BP doesn't understand Grigs for lack of communication. I mean that their style, approach, vision and intentions are vastly different. The goal of winning, playoffs, championships, etc. are the same, but the roadmaps each chooses to follow are radically divergent.

Okay, I said that because INDY isn't good enough to get to the SB this year. And if we can't be there, who do I wanna see? Brees vs Brady. I love Peyton Manning sure, but Von Miller's stupidity is gonna derail their SB hopes this calendar year. Besides, I need to see clutchness in November & December which I haven't witnessed since 2009...A 4 year drought...Actions speak louder than words...JMO...

I can understand thinking that the Colts aren't good enough to go to the SB this year.  But, I can't understand "hoping" that any other team represents the AFC especially when the regular season hasn't even started for the Colts.

Perhaps your definition of "hope" is different than mine.  I think of hope as a wish, a dream, a desire. 

And, for as long as I have been a Colt's fan; I always approach every season with the hope, the wish, the dream, the desire that the Colts will not only be in the SB; but will win it . . . even if my reasoning would tell me that the odds of this happening are extremely slim. 

I think we're better than Atlanta.

They're not as good as Polian thinks and we're not as bad as unlisted.

I think Atlanta is VERY good and might be a Super Bowl contender. I live their QB and their WR. Their tight end ain't bad either. If they Colts are better than Atlanta, they are going to win 13 to 14 games and be the favorite for the SB. I think Atlanta is that good.

I can understand thinking that the Colts aren't good enough to go to the SB this year.  But, I can't understand "hoping" that any other team represents the AFC especially when the regular season hasn't even started for the Colts.

Perhaps your definition of "hope" is different than mine.  I think of hope as a wish, a dream, a desire. 

And, for as long as I have been a Colt's fan; I always approach every season with the hope, the wish, the dream, the desire that the Colts will not only be in the SB; but will win it . . . even if my reasoning would tell me that the odds of this happening are extremely slim. 

There is nothing wrong with that. That is a definition of a fan for lots of people. It doesn't work for me but I sure understand it.

I know having the GM communicate with the fans is important to you. No so much to me. I guess I rely on the play on the field and the moves made to tweak the roster to tell me what I GM is thinking.

I wasn't suggesting BP doesn't understand Grigs for lack of communication. I mean that their style, approach, vision and intentions are vastly different. The goal of winning, playoffs, championships, etc. are the same, but the roadmaps each chooses to follow are radically divergent.

One has been to the Super Bowl like seven times or more. The other, well, not yet and perhaps not in the near future.

To be fair, we won 11 games last year. To be on the rise we would have to win 12 or more, yes?  Otherwise you will hear the words regress, etc.  There are few folks who believe we will win 12 or more this year.  And, we are fans that are fanatical about the Colts. In our hearts, we believe we can run the table.  In our minds, we think, we'll probably lose a couple... that we probably shouldn't have.  Everyone else around the league is thinking, they caught lightning in a bottle last year with that huge -points discrepancy, and are still building their monster, so to win more than 8 would an eye opener.

We on this bard have a very different outlook for our team than the majority of folks in the rest of NFL land.  We'll have to prove them wrong week by week. And go further in the playoffs.

That is well said and just about perfect.

I think we're better than Atlanta.

They're not as good as Polian thinks and we're not as bad as unlisted.

Uhh it is not even close at this point. We came off a great season last year against the easiest schedule in the league .Luck has looked very sharp and I have high expectations but your statement isn't even close. Atlanta was the best team in the regular season last year and should have played in the super bowl.

Lol I don't really give a Rats a.. what Polian thinks,lets set back and watch,this team if it stays healthy will be very very good.As for the so called experts well lol look at the track records.This team is much better overall especially on D,the sky is the limit.That being said we have one of the toughest schedules in the league lol not quite ready to throw up the white flag just yet,or at all.Lol I guess that's say it,I don't care what the so called experts  from the media or in this forum have to say,what I do care about is this team executing on the field,and the pitbull attitude to win and succeed.Im sure your with me on this Brother

Yes absolutely, talk is cheap. Just go out there & prove all the naysayers wrong. I agree with that sentiment 100% I do respect loyalty & I admire your conviction Jay. 

I get where you are coming from schwamm. With me, I have always liked the direct approach. What you see is what you get. This is why we are doing x, y, & z. I didn't always agree with Polian, but at least I knew what he was thinking. I will admit though that another favorite GM of mine, Jerry Reese from the NY Giants, tells you very little about his thought process as well so Ryan Grigson isn't alone in his tight lipped approach to media relations either. Sure draft picks & free agent signings can help fans know where our voids & priorities are, but I like to hear about our team's direction straight from the horse's mouth in 1 location in 1 interview where I don't have to piece meal multiple sources together. I don't have that much free time at my disposal. 

I wasn't trying to 2nd guess Grigson's intellect or ability just how he delivers his message & it's overall effectiveness in terms of useful information. Like I said to NCF more than once, Bill Polian set a precedent with long, detailed answers once a week that left little doubt where our squad was headed each & every week. Ryan Grigson didn't come aware near filling that enormous void of expectation & sophistication. I just wish that I could go to someone in the Colts organization that could mildly replicate in scope & magnitude what Bill Polian did. 

I realize that both GMs are different with different styles, strengths, & weaknesses. I don't expect an identical GM approach with Grigson, but I do expect concrete answers & no ambiguity. That's just me I guess. 

I can respect your vision, hope, & dream for a SB shecolt when it comes to your favorite squad & mine, but you have to look at 2 things: the quality of the new pieces we added & our competition in the AFC. Also, we are a very young squad that needs to see how well the Colts respond to a heightened level of expectations now. Both Denver & NE are more than capable of surpassing us right now, but this season will go a long way toward validating that we belong to lineup against elite teams & hold our own. 2014 will be the calendar year we shine...not now IMO...

I can respect your vision, hope, & dream for a SB shecolt when it comes to your favorite squad & mine, but you have to look at 2 things: the quality of the new pieces we added & our competition in the AFC. Also, we are a very young squad that needs to see how well the Colts respond to a heightened level of expectations now. Both Denver & NE are more than capable of surpassing us right now, but this season will go a long way toward validating that we belong to lineup against elite teams & hold our own. 2014 will be the calendar year we shine...not now IMO...

we held our own for 3 Quarters in New England