Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian doesn't list Colts as a contender

ColtStrong

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read (pundits that cover the game) that there are a lot of knuckleheads in pro football,,,,players, coaches and GMs.  The number of really bright minds are a small percentage of the league, so that seems right to me when you see the same teams fail year after year after decade.  It also seems right how a guy like Polian could win Exec of the Year multiple times, because he is a bright guy.  He just happens to be a control freak who was so comfortable in his role, that he tried to hand it over to his son who wasn't qualified and whose drafts hurt us dearly.  Grigson was handpicked because Irsay sees the same intelligent football brain in Grigson that he saw in Polian.  Grigson wasn't a rehashed political pick.  He was a grunt who came up the hard way, and imo, other teams would do well to follow suit.  Luck was Irsay's pick, but Grigson has done enough to warrant trust in him.  I gush over him because he leaves no stone unturned and because has common sense, but mostly it is an instinctual thing.  my instincts say to trust this guy and he will take us where we want to go.  Kind of like Luck.  

I have read (pundits that cover the game) that there are a lot of knuckleheads in pro football,,,,players, coaches and GMs.  The number of really bright minds are a small percentage of the league, so that seems right to me when you see the same teams fail year after year after decade.  It also seems right how a guy like Polian could win Exec of the Year multiple times, because he is a bright guy.  He just happens to be a control freak who was so comfortable in his role, that he tried to hand it over to his son who wasn't qualified and whose drafts hurt us dearly.  Grigson was handpicked because Irsay sees the same intelligent football brain in Grigson that he saw in Polian.  Grigson wasn't a rehashed political pick.  He was a grunt who came up the hard way, and imo, other teams would do well to follow suit.  Luck was Irsay's pick, but Grigson has done enough to warrant trust in him.  I gush over him because he leaves no stone unturned and because has common sense, but mostly it is an instinctual thing.  my instincts say to trust this guy and he will take us where we want to go.  Kind of like Luck.  

I like what you said LockeDown. Grigs is a gym rat & SW1 does appreciate that. He has a vision & is confident in his evaluation skills. Our rapid turnaround proves his skills as a scout are well deserved. I just cringe when some INDY fans appear to think that Grigs is so forthcoming at press conferences. Some people are only interested in the final result, but I wanna see the entire evaluation process & how the sausage actually gets made. 

I can respect your vision, hope, & dream for a SB shecolt when it comes to your favorite squad & mine, but you have to look at 2 things: the quality of the new pieces we added & our competition in the AFC. Also, we are a very young squad that needs to see how well the Colts respond to a heightened level of expectations now. Both Denver & NE are more than capable of surpassing us right now, but this season will go a long way toward validating that we belong to lineup against elite teams & hold our own. 2014 will be the calendar year we shine...not now IMO...

Again, I think you and I just view "hope" differently.  For me it is a mindset, a way of thinking in life that always wishes for a favorable outcome even though I may realize that the odds are stacked against me.  Whereas, you seem to have a direct correlation between hope and reality.

For example, I had a friend who was diagnosed with stage 4 lung and liver cancer last year.  When I first heard the sad news, my "hope" was that by some miracle he could shake the ugly monster of cancer even though I realized that the odds of him doing so were practically non-existent.

As time wore on, my "hopes" for my friend's recovery grew slimmer and slimmer until he passed away in June. 

So as long as the Colts are one of 32 NFL teams, I will always have the "hope" at the beginning of the season that they will be SB contenders even though I may realize that the odds of them doing so are slim.  As the season wears on, my "hope" may very well be rapidly diminished.  But, I'm not going to write the Colts off in my "hopes" before they have even taken a meaningful snap. 

You and others may think I'm a dreamer :cloud9: and that's okay with me because I enjoy dreaming that impossible dream and would hate to live in a world without "hope" even though I myself realize that my "hopes" may never come true. 

And, I sure as heck am not going to "hope" that the Patriots and Saints are in the SB even though I understand why you would find that to be a fun and interesting matchup.

Just the mere thought that your "hope" may come true makes me want to :puke:

I get where you are coming from schwamm. With me, I have always liked the direct approach. What you see is what you get. This is why we are doing x, y, & z. I didn't always agree with Polian, but at least I knew what he was thinking. I will admit though that another favorite GM of mine, Jerry Reese from the NY Giants, tells you very little about his thought process as well so Ryan Grigson isn't alone in his tight lipped approach to media relations either. Sure draft picks & free agent signings can help fans know where our voids & priorities are, but I like to hear about our team's direction straight from the horse's mouth in 1 location in 1 interview where I don't have to piece meal multiple sources together. I don't have that much free time at my disposal.

I wasn't trying to 2nd guess Grigson's intellect or ability just how he delivers his message & it's overall effectiveness in terms of useful information. Like I said to NCF more than once, Bill Polian set a precedent with long, detailed answers once a week that left little doubt where our squad was headed each & every week. Ryan Grigson didn't come aware near filling that enormous void of expectation & sophistication. I just wish that I could go to someone in the Colts organization that could mildly replicate in scope & magnitude what Bill Polian did.

I realize that both GMs are different with different styles, strengths, & weaknesses. I don't expect an identical GM approach with Grigson, but I do expect concrete answers & no ambiguity. That's just me I guess.

It looks like LockeDown already said what I was thinking... to paraphrase... I prefer Grigs for the way he shows he's going to roll up his sleeves. It seems to me as if he's too preoccupied with working to make the Colts better, in any and every way he knows how, to even realize he might want to talk to fans about what's going on.

Polian, on the other hand, seemed like he wanted to take every opportunity to let everyone know how smart he is, and probably did so at the expense of him doing some of the hard work the team ultimately needed from him.